How long until next cancellations?

az_tchr

Booked on April 12 Edge cruise and still no communication from Celebrity. Just waiting for the cancellation. I can understand why Celebrity is reluctant to announce cancellations . Business is business.

• Like 3

You are right that business is business but an important part of that is customer service. Celebrity should be more pro-active in their communication as there are other expenses like air, tours that we need to cancel or look after.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Orator said:

Booked on April 12 Edge cruise and still no communication from Celebrity. Just waiting for the cancellation. I can understand why Celebrity is reluctant to announce cancellations . Business is business.

Yeah same here. We're a group of 6 booked on 4/11 Equinox. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, niakwa said:

You are right that business is business but an important part of that is customer service. Celebrity should be more pro-active in their communication as there are other expenses like air, tours that we need to cancel or look after.

We're recent transplants from 35 years of AZ living. We're fortunate to now be in FL and in a position to wait Celebrity out on this. I know if I were still in AZ waiting for something to happen, I would have blown a gasket by now. 

24 minutes ago, niakwa said:

Do you think there is any chance your April cruise will sail?  Why have you not cancelled already?  Airlines if you booked are offering refunds - any flight change of over 1 hour - and credits.  Most accommodations are offering credits and refunds - yeah there are a few that are not. X will provide a FCC.

Celebrity is struggling not only in cancelling cruises but keeping staff as they are subject to restrictions in their phone center!  FCCs from early March are still in line for processing.

Sooooo are you waiting for a 125% FCC or a refund?  

4 minutes ago, wholeflaffer said:

With that kind of attitude on Celebrity/RCL's part, lawsuits become likely as people have actual damages from these delayed cancellations.  After all, business is business.

You will find this covered if you read your cruise contract.  Celebrity is legally responsible for a refund unless there is gross negligence if you are from the Americas. Different in the UK. Not much else.

3 minutes ago, az_tchr said:

You will find this covered if you read your cruise contract.  Celebrity is legally responsible for a refund unless there is gross negligence if you are from the Americas. Different in the UK. Not much else.

What you said doesn't really make much sense (I'm guessing you missed something there). In any case, the inability of the company to provide the contracted product must (here in the US) lead to a full refund of the money paid.  Delaying the inevitable cancellation and subsequent refund, if it leads to additional travel and accommodation costs, creates real damages on the part of the traveler.

• Like 1

Celebrity makes no money on YOUR money if it remains in their pocket. I've been highly critical of their Crisis Management team. They have violated the first rule to get ahead of the story. By not communicating with those who would be impacted they are constantly behind the curve. People understand that there is a problem and Celebrity is a victim not the cause, What they don't understand is why Celebrity has failed to reach out to them.  

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Life Buoy said:

Celebrity makes no money on YOUR money if it remains in their pocket. I've been highly critical of their Crisis Management team. They have violated the first rule to get ahead of the story. By not communicating with those who would be impacted they are constantly behind the curve. People understand that there is a problem and Celebrity is a victim not the cause, What they don't understand is why Celebrity has failed to reach out to them.  

Spot on! 

1 hour ago, az_tchr said:

Do you think there is any chance your April cruise will sail?  Why have you not cancelled already?  Airlines if you booked are offering refunds - any flight change of over 1 hour - and credits.  Most accommodations are offering credits and refunds - yeah there are a few that are not. X will provide a FCC.

Celebrity is struggling not only in cancelling cruises but keeping staff as they are subject to restrictions in their phone center!  FCCs from early March are still in line for processing.

Sooooo are you waiting for a 125% FCC or a refund?  

My April cruise will not sail but I want refunds back to my credit card, not a voucher for a future flight or FCC/credits. I may never cruise again or leave the UK again so I do not want to be committed to cruise or flights sometime in the future. Hence I am waiting for cancellations that allow a refund (= not Celebrity-speak for FCC).

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

Well, that would be because the flu vaccine does not prevent all strains of the flu.

And because it’s not mandatory and too many people won’t have it done. It would be the same with a  Coronavirus vaccine. Too many people think It won’t affect them, see the Spring breakers in Florida, without a care in the world and no thought for anyone else.

i have the flu vaccine every year without fail and I do that to protect myself, my family and the wider society.

The longer Celebrity wait for cancelling a cruise the more that people will voluntarily pull out with a reduced cost to their business and more FCC. Cancelling means there is a much higher cost to the business. If they already have your full paid fare then wait until they cancel unless you have to travel a long way to get there. 

2 minutes ago, bluwes said:

Glad to see they did this!  Sadly, still a waiting game as ours is May 15!  I don't see the Medditerran being ready by May 15. 

Edited by Ward517

Just got this text from Celebrity.

" S: Celebrity Cruises Cruise Notification

We have some urgent information to share about your upcoming cruise.  Due to continued port closures and global travel restrictions, as well as to help ensure the continued safety of our guests and crew, we are extending our temporary suspension of global cruise operations from April 11th through May 11th; we will suspend our Alaska sailings through July 1st, as the region will remain closed to cruise ships through the early summer.   This includes the voyage you are currently scheduled to sail.  In order to compensate you for this cancellation, all booked guests will automatically receive a 125% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) valid until December 31st, 2021.  Should you prefer a 100% refund to your original method of payment you may contact us anytime up until the expiration date of your FCC.  If you pre-booked any shore excursions, beverage, internet, specialty dining or other onboard packages, through Celebrity Cruises, you will have the option of receiving 125% Onboard Credit (OBC) to be used on your next sailing, or you may choose a 100% refund.  Guests with independent shore excursion arrangements should contact their tour operators as soon as possible.  Guests with refundable air travel and hotel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be refunded automatically. Guests with nonrefundable flights booked through Flights by Celebrity or independent air arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required cancellations.  We know how important your vacation time is and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of this cancellation.  We hope to welcome you aboard soon for an amazing Celebrity Cruise vacation. "

We also just received an email with this additional info regarding some Canadian cruises - 

"Additionally, Canada/New England sailings departing May 19th, May 28th and June 16th will be modified, as Canada will also remain closed to cruise ships until July 1st.  Guests booked on these dates will be contacted directly with details regarding their new itinerary."

Edited by Ken the cruiser

3 hours ago, bluwes said:

"We expect to return to service on May 12, 2020."

And I expect to win three different lotteries... each worth tens of millions!

BOTH are equally probable.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1