How long until next cancellations?

az_tchr

One's source of "news" will determine how seriously this "pandemic", to some, merely "sniffles", to others really is.

If you're so smart, why are you no longer as rich as you thought you were a month ago?

The stock market is a very good indicator of the seriousness of this mere flu or pandemic.

If you are optimistic, back up the truck and buy cruise stock.  If you're worried buy shares in toilet paper producers.

Take a look at the news from Italy and from Spain.. that's what the future may hold if one does not take this virus seriously. 

You want to be around to vote this year...  be careful where you get your information...

• Like 7

Fortunately, those that show they have minimal understanding of what is going on here such as the poster who’d cruise right now because they are ‘56’, and the other who went through the whole “the flu is worse” posts, which is about 2 months late on repeating such silliness, they are being take care of by the vast majority of others who are doing what is required. I’ll not get into a back and worth on this forum on such posts that show no understanding of what is actually going on. The great majority understand what is needed to be done and why what is happening has to be done.

That type of thinking is exactly what we were seeing here on our beaches, before we closed them, by a lot of teens and college kids (and families!) who continued to party away......and yup maybe being young and healthy they won’t be adversely impacted but I guess when they take this back home to their are parents, grandparents and friends with underlying issues, that doesn’t matter. Same attitude as those posts, And why this disease will kill more. 

Den

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Argo. said:

Take a look at the news from Italy and from Spain.. that's what the future may hold if one does not take this virus seriously. 

US has been trading spots with Spain for 3rd place within the past 12 hours ...
and currently, US cases are vastly underreported with lack of test kits, testing protocols, etc., so this number is presumably on the low range of actual cases.

189281240_ScreenShot2020-03-22at11_24_09AM.png.8c9db8d4d461d7a977f738c79ed6985b.png

Edited by hvbaskey

46 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Well you would have your choice of cabins, the best seats in the theater, no wait for a table in the dining room, and no trouble with chair hogs by the pool.

That is called a suite.

• Like 1

In response to some of the above.
Where did I say anyone was wrong?  Those were not my words but there it is even though that's not what I said.
I'm well aware that this is a pandemic.   I never said business as usual.  You don't know my  "thoughts".
But if you're going to bring up WHO and the scientists  (which I did not) there are those within those communities
that differ on their information, opinions and predictions as well.  
The facts are changing by the minute.  China says they haven't had a new native case in 3 days, take that for what you will. 
"Facts"  are sometimes not even facts but they're put out there regardless.  So all I'm saying is take a breath and don't panic.
Use common sense.  Of course wash your hands and all of that, I'm just worried that we're being worked up into a lather over something that will pass in the not too distant future and in the meantime our economy will be ruined.
My daughter's company is a family run business that's been around since 1939.
They could go under, so this is hitting close to home for me and for millions of people like my daughter who is not worried about cruising but about losing her job and taking care of her family.
Again, just trying to spread some optimism. It seems to be needed badly right here on this thread. 

Have a great day and stay well.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, poffles said:

That we call selfish.  You might be fine but all the people you interact with along the way and back home after your trip are impacted since you may not even know you are a new carrier.  Maybe think beyond yourself.

Or we could all stayed holed up forever...frankly, I’m more worried about catching the flu A than this, and I’m not very worried about that. 

Edited by PTC DAWG
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Webecruizin2 - I suggest you go back and read your original post. It’s entire tone was ignoring what is actually going on, and now posting that you are only worried about ‘panic’. Panic works both ways, yes people buying toilet paper as if its going to run out, but then the ‘panic’ of those that somehow think ‘things will return to normal soon’. It wont. But stick with that. It doesn’t matter. The medical teams will do their best taking care of us no mater who much ‘we’ ignore reality. And those that understand what is going on will take care of those that pretend its all just an over reaction. So go ahead and post away. 

Den

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, morfred said:

Troll

LOL, govern yourself accordingly...this too shall pass.  Things are rarely as bad, nor as good as they seem. I’m trying to find the middle ground. 

Edited by PTC DAWG

2 hours ago, PTC DAWG said:

I’d cruise tomorrow if they were sailing..56, healthy, not living scared.  

Not about living scared but saving lives. You might catch it and survive, but not before you have infected another half dozen people of which one could well die given the age range of the average cruiser. Social isolation, two metres apart from others when out, not using pubs, clubs, restaurants are all about stopping the rate of infection. World leaders are all saying the same, start getting real and taking this seriously. We all have a part to play and that’s about acting responsibly. Italy did not do that and they are losing up to 800 people in a single day. The UK has just struck a deal with the private medical sector to use every bed, doctor, nurse they have in the country, that has never happened before, this is not the flu, America could see millions die. This is not about bravado.

Edited by yorky
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, hvbaskey said:

US has been trading spots with Spain for 3rd place within the past 12 hours ...
and currently, US cases are vastly underreported with lack of test kits, testing protocols, etc., so this number is presumably on the low range of actual cases.

189281240_ScreenShot2020-03-22at11_24_09AM.png.8c9db8d4d461d7a977f738c79ed6985b.png

I really, really question where they get their numbers from.  I know they are WAY, WAY under-reporting in Southern California.  I know someone who most likely has it but according to the online nurse, because he's healthy and young, he just has to stay home for 14 days.  No testing (which I can understand since there are a limited number of them) and no reporting at all.  Just seems irresponsible when we're trying to keep track of the accurate numbers.

22 minutes ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

I really, really question where they get their numbers from.  I know they are WAY, WAY under-reporting in Southern California.  I know someone who most likely has it but according to the online nurse, because he's healthy and young, he just has to stay home for 14 days.  No testing (which I can understand since there are a limited number of them) and no reporting at all.  Just seems irresponsible when we're trying to keep track of the accurate numbers.

Screenshot from John Hopkins University database:
https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

Definitely underreporting going on - but this a collection of confirmed positive cases ( does not include “X” number of unknowns for those not tested).

19 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Does the whole world stay isolated forever?. At some point we will need to take a risk.

Have just a little PATIENCE!   Unnecessary risk right now is foolishness and terribly inconsiderate to everyone around you.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, alek said:

You could be right.  But it seems that if you were notified pre cruise ( even if it was short notice— we were notified only a week ago and now can’t reach our doctor who has closed his office)  they could say we did not comply and are therefore not eligible for a refund.  All of this very irritating to say the very least.  Even if I could reach my doctor, I don’t think he would want to commit in view of the climate we are all in at the moment. 

I'm booked on a May 9 sailing and have not yet been notified by X that a doctor's note is required...I would not have known if not for reading the cruise forums.  

1 minute ago, Cornus said:

I'm booked on a May 9 sailing and have not yet been notified by X that a doctor's note is required...I would not have known if not for reading the cruise forums.  

if you are over 70 they want a form completed by your doctor stating you have no underlying medical conditions.  

2 hours ago, webecruzin2 said:

The facts are changing by the minute.  China says they haven't had a new native case in 3 days, take that for what you will. 
"Facts"  are sometimes not even facts but they're put out there regardless.  So all I'm saying is take a breath and don't panic.
Use common sense.  Of course wash your hands and all of that, I'm just worried that we're being worked up into a lather over something that will pass in the not too distant future

China has been dealing with this for 3 months....

”worked up into lather”....... New York has over 12,000 new cases today!!!!

1 minute ago, alek said:

if you are over 70 they want a form completed by your doctor stating you have no underlying medical conditions.  

I know that...all I'm saying is that X never notified me.  I only know about it by reading the cruise forums!

Two articles by the same "correspondent". Oops! Singing out loud with fingers in ears.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-lesser-threat-to-americans-than-flu-2020-1?r=US&IR=T

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-case-fatality-rate-wuhan-china-lower-than-estimates-study-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Apparently the death rate is "far "lower than initial estimates" at 1.4%. Still singing.

For the US that would be about 4.5 million. How many died from flu?

Edit: UK data shows 4.9% fatalities - just hoping that is lack of testing and we have three times as many cases as reported.

Edited by idh2019
more info

18 minutes ago, Cornus said:

I know that...all I'm saying is that X never notified me.  I only know about it by reading the cruise forums!

Shouldn’t be surprised by X inconsistency.

48 minutes ago, idh2019 said:

Two articles by the same "correspondent". Oops! Singing out loud with fingers in ears.

https://www.businessinsider.com/wuhan-coronavirus-lesser-threat-to-americans-than-flu-2020-1?r=US&IR=T

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-case-fatality-rate-wuhan-china-lower-than-estimates-study-2020-3?r=US&IR=T

Apparently the death rate is "far "lower than initial estimates" at 1.4%. Still singing.

For the US that would be about 4.5 million. How many died from flu?

Edit: UK data shows 4.9% fatalities - just hoping that is lack of testing and we have three times as many cases as reported.

How many died from the flu is irrelevant. If this number is accurate, you have 4.5 million families and friends of the victims mourning their loss and who's life has changed forever. It's easy to make light of it if you aren't affected. To most of us it's a tragedy.

You edit? You want the carnage to be three times more than reported?

• Like 2