Ohio passenger on 2/29 Valor sailing tests positive for COVID-19

hiccups

The Columbus (OH) Department of Public Health just announced a Columbus resident that boarded Carnival Valor on 2/29 out of New Orleans has tested positive for COVID-19.

He is quarantined at home, as are two family members.

Edited by hiccups

18 minutes ago, hiccups said:

The Columbus (OH) Department of Public Health just announced a Columbus resident that boarded Carnival Valor on 2/29 out of New Orleans has tested positive for COVID-19.

He is quarantined at home, as are two family members.

"CaRnIvAl iS kEePiNg Us SaFe"

11 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

Do you have a link?

The way you worded your post implies that the Columbus resident contracted the disease while on that cruise, which may or may not be the case.

I think it is the cruise terminals that are going to prove to be the real problem.  

Someone was disembarked at Grand Cayman 2/29 for a heart attack (boarded their cruise 2/25) and while recovering from that started to show symptoms and was tested on 3/9 and on 3/12 came back positive for COVID19 and is Patient 1 in Grand Cayman now.  Still searching what ship that was.  The timing tracks well for being infected at port of embarkation or early in their cruise. 

https://www.10tv.com/article/case-coronavirus-confirmed-columbus-2020-mar

“Dr. Roberts says the man is home and in isolation. Columbus Public Health has been in touch with all those who know and were with the man.

Anyone who was on the Valor between Feb. 29 and March 5 is asked to call Columbus Public Health.”

Edited by AdoraBelle

I just saw the conference a little while ago.  As others have said, it is a confirmed case from a person that returned from the Carnival Valor. they also said he may have been in a group. 

My daughter told me they have put a hold on all cruises temporarily.  is this correct? I havent heard that yet.

I am in Columbus, and the stores have been crazy for the last few days.

Even if you aren't a person that panics, those that are, are emptying the shelves.  So those of us that arent, have to go to make sure we get things before its gone.  I am pretty prepared now.  I finally found some purell at 6am.

Everyone, stay safe.... we will be fine as long as we follow the good advice that has been given us...

• Like 1

its also concerning about those who were in plane with this person and anyone else that may be asymptomatic.

And the cruise terminal, and the airport if it was a connecting flight...

The smartest thing that could happen would be to stop flying.  Vacations can wait.  Lets all stay safe...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

I think it is the cruise terminals that are going to prove to be the real problem.  

Someone was disembarked at Grand Cayman 2/29 for a heart attack (boarded their cruise 2/25) and while recovering from that started to show symptoms and was tested on 3/9 and on 3/12 came back positive for COVID19 and is Patient 1 in Grand Cayman now.  Still searching what ship that was.  The timing tracks well for being infected at port of embarkation or early in their cruise. 

You may well be right 

6 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Never seen the timing chart, thought they were uncertain ?

5 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

How do we know he didnt get it flying to NOLA.

I just heard trump say he wants people to quit flying unless they have to, though was a request, nothing to stop you.

We don't really know.  

Royal Caribbean notifying guests that 2 people from Majesty of the Seas from NOLA on 2/29 have tested positive 

They name valor who does 4 and 5 day cruises, but nothing about the flight to and from, who are also at risk. Seems like they should send notices to whomever was near him on the flight to and from. 

I've heard of too many with the virus flying and they just let everyone walk away.

Sure anyone on valor should also know.. but his flight too. All I hear is cruises being targeted. Why not name the airline too?

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, LMaxwell said:

We don't really know.  

Royal Caribbean notifying guests that 2 people from Majesty of the Seas from NOLA on 2/29 have tested positive 

Count me out of going out of nola lol, could be port personnel for all we know.. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

It was the Caribbean Princess and the gentleman passed away this morning.  His wife is still in quarantine here on Island.  They were from Italy.

7 minutes ago, PrincessPatti said:

It was the Caribbean Princess and the gentleman passed away this morning.  His wife is still in quarantine here on Island.  They were from Italy.

Well that puts a different spin on it. 

4 hours ago, Earthworm Jim said:

He started feeling unwell on 3/7 but wasn't tested until 3/11? That sounds concerning. What took so long? Maybe it took him a while to go see a doctor.

Just now, ober134 said:

This seems to be a real issue problem with tests being rationed

Well crap! I have a coworker that was on the Valor for the cruise right after he got off. Considering the virus can live for up to several days on most surfaces this is concerning.