Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
whitecap

Where do they go?

Recommended Posts

What a great move by all the major cruise lines to suspend operations for 30 days, or for Princess for 60 days but this leads me to ask the question:  where will all these ships go for the 30 or 60 days and even more importantly, where will all the crew members go?  Great time to work on any issues with each ship, knock down the rust, fix or replace items etc but I really feel for the crew members if they are not going to be compensated in some fashion but just sent home to their respective countries and if that is done, with the travel restrictions now in place, how do they get back?  I truly hope the cruise industry will take care of those who take such good care of us!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Similar to how other companies are handling the situation, I am quite sure (the crew stays on board and) they are paid. They probably are the people Disinfecting/ cleaning the ships while not in use! 

Edited by goldesq

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, goldesq said:

I am quite sure the crew stays on board and is paid. They probably are the people Disinfecting/ cleaning the ships while not in use! 

I thought along those same lines myself as for the lines that have shut down for 30 days, but 60 days?  Are the cruise lines going to resupply food and other essentials, at no cost to the crew and pay them for their work?  I certainly hope so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, whitecap said:

I thought along those same lines myself as for the lines that have shut down for 30 days, but 60 days?  Are the cruise lines going to resupply food and other essentials, at no cost to the crew and pay them for their work?  I certainly hope so.

I am sure they will. Imagine the press if they just left them hanging On their own to starve without help. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, goldesq said:

I am sure they will. Imagine the press if they just left them hanging On their own to starve without help. 

Many times when a ship goes into dry dock many of the crew take their leave and only needed crew members stay onboard.  I hope that they keep all crew on board, where ever they take the ship, and that they start cleaning and sanitizing at one end and don't stop to they get to the other.  I also think that it would be a good idea for the cruise lines to post videos of the actions they are taking onboard so as to help to restore any lost confidence.  I do wish that the other lines had followed Princess with a sixty day suspension rather than the 30.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With flights being so costly and airlines flying limited schedules, I doubt anyone is being flown home. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, goldesq said:

With flights being so costly and airlines flying limited schedules, I doubt anyone is being flown home. 

Yes, you are probably right on the money.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some ships will not end up at the port they will start from when cruising resumes. We are at a time when a number of ships are moving from the Caribbean to Europe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Anyone know if any cruise lines have NOT cancelled their cruises right now?  A quick view of Marine Traffic a few hours earlier showed me that a surprising number of ships are out at sea "today" (Saturday in North America).  However, many may be traveling somewhere to end their cruises, or at sea because a port refused them, or just doing a day or night at sea as initially planned.  I saw Silver Muse,  Seaborn Encore, Queen Mary 2, The World, Azamara Journey (which I believe will be stopping very soon), Bremen, a Costa ship, a Seven Seas ship (Regent, part of Norwegian family?) and several Princess ships.  I don't have any cruise booked for the future right now, but I'm still curious about what each line has decided to do, and if it's an all or nothing decision or if certain itineraries are still going.

 

Is there a thread somewhere with a list of actions taken?

 

Edited by roothy123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, roothy123 said:

Anyone know if any cruise lines have NOT cancelled their cruises right now?  A quick view of Marine Traffic a few hours earlier showed me that a surprising number of ships are out at sea "today" (Saturday in North America).  However, many may be traveling somewhere to end their cruises, or at sea because a port refused them, or just doing a day or night at sea as initially planned.  I saw Silver Muse,  Seaborn Encore, Queen Mary 2, The World, Azamara Journey (which I believe will be stopping very soon), Bremen, a Costa ship, a Seven Seas ship (Regent, part of Norwegian family?) and several Princess ships.  I don't have any cruise booked for the future right now, but I'm still curious about what each line has decided to do, and if it's an all or nothing decision or if certain itineraries are still going.

 

Is there a thread somewhere with a list of actions taken?

 

Oh, I just found this, which gives me more info I didn't have before:

https://cruiseradio.net/suspended-or-canceled-sailings-by-cruise-line/?fbclid=IwAR1OoYv5dyermdF-zUCWkGhKXLlzxxiy6IVguQ524BE2-Je4cvEOnchNv7k

 

Are Silver Seas, Seaborn, The World, and Costa part of one of the "big" groups like RCL or Norwegian?  Anyone have a list of which lines fall under those big groups and which lines are independent?

Edited by roothy123

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If crew were to be let go, then head home to all four corners of the globe and start infecting their own folk, there would be all hell to pay in the press.
No, I can't see CCL/ RCI / NCL being that out of touch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If cruise ships were called upon to serve as temporary COVID-19 triage centers then at least much of the hotel staff could tend to the needs of virus victims.  Other crew in divisions that are necessary to operation of ships systems would also remain employed.  Everyone else on standby in case ship needs to be moved to a location where needed for such service.

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

On 3/14/2020 at 5:11 PM, roothy123 said:

Are Silver Seas, Seaborn, The World, and Costa part of one of the "big" groups like RCL or Norwegian?  Anyone have a list of which lines fall under those big groups and which lines are independent?

 

 I believe that Costa and Seabourn are part of Carnival, Royal owns Silversea and I am not sure about the rest. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...