Would you take 125 %FCC or 100% money back from Celebrity?

Pedro2400

14 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

There have been multiple changes over the past couple of weeks, and I fear that some of us are going to get hit by the rule changes. We cancelled a week and a half ago and were advised by Celebrity that the FCC could be used for existing bookings. When the FCC's arrived, there was no prohibition against using them for existing bookings in the accompanying instructions, but they state "Additional terms and conditions apply", pretty much giving them carte blanche to do as they see fit.

If we had waited until Celebrity cancelled, we would have had the option of a 100% refund. Now we have an FCC which we can't use on a booking we have for next March. Not quite fair IMO.

Sounds like us.  We had B/B cruises on the Apex which were cancelled last Monday, but the paperwork didn't go thru from our TA until Tues.  Rules had changed overnight.  Now we are stuck with a lot of FCC & hoping to use it on the two cruises we have booked.  I agree, not quite fair if we can't use them.  I really don't want to book any other cruises right now.

All I can say is WOW!

Celebrity does like to throw curve balls. There have been numerous posts about supporting Celebrity and taking the FCC to keep money in the company but with this new restriction, it looks like there will be far more cash refunds taken. I would have been very happy using it against my booked cruise but I am not going to book another cruise just to use my FCC.

• Like 2

HELP! from Foremco  or anyone else, please.  Where is the new rule on not being able  to use a FCC on an existing booking?

Background:  We cancelled our April 20th Hawaii cruise on March 8th,  Received the FCC email on March 16th (waiting for the 25% refund to our credit card).  We were going to use this FCC to make final payment on our July 10th Alaska cruise.  

Any direction is greatly appreciated!

thank you.

3 minutes ago, jjduck said:

HELP! from Foremco  or anyone else, please.  Where is the new rule on not being able  to use a FCC on an existing booking?

Background:  We cancelled our April 20th Hawaii cruise on March 8th,  Received the FCC email on March 16th (waiting for the 25% refund to our credit card).  We were going to use this FCC to make final payment on our July 10th Alaska cruise.  

Any direction is greatly appreciated!

thank you.

https://www.celebritycruises.com/cruise-with-confidence

The text below is from the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the above linked page:

The FCC is non-transferrable and may not be redeemed for cash.  The FCC certificate’s value may be applied toward the cruise fare due on a new booking, and new future sail date, on the brand originally purchased.

14 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

The text below is from the Terms and Conditions at the bottom of the above linked page:

The FCC is non-transferrable and may not be redeemed for cash.  The FCC certificate’s value may be applied toward the cruise fare due on a new booking, and new future sail date, on the brand originally purchased.

12 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

So odd. I received an FCC Sunday in CAD but amount was incorrect should have been refund. Seems system did it automatically so yesterday called Celebrity and correct amount had to be manually applied to refund but now received FCC certificate  of $125. USD.  My deposit was $125 CAD.  

thanks mamafej, hs2bs and gangbuster for your quick replies.  I really appreciate everyone's help.  Guess we're supposed to read the terms and conditions on the hour?  

aloha all.

• Like 1

I was talking to Celebrity yesterday and they informed me that the FCC could be used for existing bookings provided you have not made your final payment which would in my opinion be reasonable.

If the rules are going to change they should be advising their customers before they take the FCC or refund. 

I for one am going to try and hold them to the above as I do keep a diary of all my conversations like this.

I think Celebrity has to realize that there is a lot of cruisers out there who have a stake in this situation .  

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MamaFej said:

2 minutes ago, gangbuster said:

I was talking to Celebrity yesterday and they informed me that the FCC could be used for existing bookings provided you have not made your final payment which would in my opinion be reasonable.

If the rules are going to change they should be advising their customers before they take the FCC or refund. 

I for one am going to try and hold them to the above as I do keep a diary of all my conversations like this.

I think Celebrity has to realize that there is a lot of cruisers out there who have a stake in this situation .  

OK, so after reading the current website wording and reading @gangbuster's post, the optimist in me offers up the following:

The website says that the FCC "may be applied toward the cruise fare due on a new booking", but it does not say "may be applied ONLY toward..." Also, it says that an FCC can't be transferred and can't be used for cash, but doesn't say that that they can't be used for existing bookings. On the other hand, many of us have been told that we can use an FCC for an existing booking.

As there is nothing in writing saying we can't, yet there are numerous employees saying we can, let's go with the latter!

I really don't want to be a negative person as this affects my wife and I also as we are booked on the Equinox for May 2nd ourselves but the probability of cruises going out in April or May is slim at best. Even if they do with what is going on and the escalation of the virus do you really want to get into a situation of something happening while onboard or at a port ( if you can get into a port ). MLB understands what is going on and has already pushed back to at least Mid May. There are people walking around with the virus who have no symptoms but could easily spread it on a ship. Please don't take the chance as in the grand scheme of things this is not that important. Family is! 

I would absolutely take the refund.  We cruise only one time on average per year, nothing planned beyond the April 12 date.  

I will add my complete disappointment in Celebrity that they are waiting until the very last minute to cancel the April 12 Eclipse sailing. They know they can't sail from Vancouver, that Canada has banned cruise ships.  They know Americans can't even get to Vancouver if they would magically find a way to sail.  Will Canadians be allowed into Hawaii if they can't cross the border into the continental US?   I am sure they hope we'll all take the FCC and they can keep our money.  However, each sailing they don't cancel risks being denied entry to multiple ports, and if one person boards with the virus, they'll likely become overwhelmed with sick patients.  Will it take someone dying from COVID-19 complications on a ship before the cruise industry just steps back and does what is right? 

When we cruised Celebrity five years ago, I tore my ACL on an excursion.  Found out the x-ray machine on the ship didn't work, hadn't for a while.  The ship's doctor was angry they hadn't taken me to a hospital but said nothing appeared broken, just thought it was strained.  The deceptiveness of the ship's medical facility with a non-working x-ray machine has always worried me since!  They gave me access to a wheel chair, and elastic brace and ice to put on my knee, and an envelope of Aleve.  I truly wonder what the medical facilities are like on Eclipse, if they could even begin to treat someone who develops pneumonia?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pedro2400 said:

Sigh of relief.... Positive news..

It's only positive if they are actually honoring it for everyone. Vicki Freed, Senior VP of Sales, , during a recent webinar, said new bookings only. Fingers crossed - I'm planning on using it for current bookings.

US State Department is preparing to raise travel advisory to highest level: DO NOT TRAVEL

From CNN's Kylie Atwood

The State Department is preparing to raise its travel advisory worldwide to Level 4: Do Not Travel – the highest level — in the face of the coronavirus pandemic. 

Four sources told CNN that Secretary of State Mike Pompeo had approved a Level 4 advisory. 

Late last Wednesday, the advisory was raised globally to Level 3: Reconsider Travel “due to the global impact of COVID-19.”

Politico was the first to report the heightened advisory level. CNN has reached out to the State Department for comment. 

Another source told CNN that the move would be aimed at curtailing Americans’ travel abroad and to get those who are traveling to come home.