Would you take 125 %FCC or 100% money back from Celebrity?

Pedro2400

20 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Obvious to me, ... as you pointed out, you got 'a bargain', maybe another one will pop up before too long.

bon voyage

Read again... "Bargain" was merely tongue in cheek in reference to future pricing. We're not new to this cruise thing, nor what is a bargain and what is very inflated pricing. My current rate isn't what I would deem a bargain, but rather right in line with what we've paid in the last few years on Celebrity / RCCL. If compared to that inflated pricing for the the same cruise in the coming months, then I'll give you that, yes it would seem like a bargain 😄 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

I think she was being funny/sarcastic with her use of the word "bargain" since the prices are so much higher even with her discount.

The benefit of the refund, in my eyes, is that you can then actually hunt a bargain on any line and are not tied to rebooking on X.

Spot on...thank you.

29 minutes ago, poffles said:

The future could be interesting times for cruising as well as for travel in general.  Cruise pricing has already been a game of numbers so one has to expect the cost to go up for sure with perhaps no benefits at all.  FCC value may end up being far from 'like for like' when the time comes to use it.

Before all of this happened, I booked a cruise for April 2021, a 12 night Caribbean.  The cost for a veranda with drinks and 400 OBC ($US) was $5400 CAD total for 2 people.  Interestingly since this was booked (last October) the price has been slowly increasing and I was already fascinated by this .. couple months it was 6K .. then it was 7K .... now I look and current cost is $9100 CAD ... OMG. I know that time of year can be peak time and it is likely getting pretty booked but that is crazy and I don't know if the affects of COVID-19 are really in play for this cost so I am afraid the future might out-price my wallet.

Then there is the worst case of bankruptcy as others have stated but I choose to be optimistic that it won't end up there. 

Interesting times indeed. But how does a cruise industry navigate through these challenging times that could mean reduced bookings for an extended period of time and answer with inflated pricing and fewer perks...seems like a bad business strategy / gamble. I completely agree on the future prices being to much for my wallet to bare, at least in the interim anyway. We're booked for a land all inclusive in Mexico this year, which is a first for us. We love cruising, but they could become a rarity if pricing stays on the high side. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, poffles said:

The future could be interesting times for cruising as well as for travel in general.  Cruise pricing has already been a game of numbers so one has to expect the cost to go up for sure with perhaps no benefits at all.  FCC value may end up being far from 'like for like' when the time comes to use it.

Before all of this happened, I booked a cruise for April 2021, a 12 night Caribbean.  The cost for a veranda with drinks and 400 OBC ($US) was $5400 CAD total for 2 people.  Interestingly since this was booked (last October) the price has been slowly increasing and I was already fascinated by this .. couple months it was 6K .. then it was 7K .... now I look and current cost is $9100 CAD ... OMG. I know that time of year can be peak time and it is likely getting pretty booked but that is crazy and I don't know if the affects of COVID-19 are really in play for this cost so I am afraid the future might out-price my wallet.

Then there is the worst case of bankruptcy as others have stated but I choose to be optimistic that it won't end up there. 

I noticed the price increase as well. We cancelled our Equinox for Apr 11-21 and would like to book for around the same time next year, with the same perks as we had. Price is for a 12 night with similar ports at over $3500 CAN, pp! With no perks! Ridiculous for an inside cabin!! 

We can't get a refund as we had FCC put towards this one! I guess we will see. We can't afford to pay that much for a 12 night. I'm so sad right now!

Lets hope the price drops 

4 minutes ago, newfiegirl4 said:

I noticed the price increase as well. We cancelled our Equinox for Apr 11-21 and would like to book for around the same time next year, with the same perks as we had. Price is for a 12 night with similar ports at over $3500 CAN, pp! With no perks! Ridiculous for an inside cabin!! 

We can't get a refund as we had FCC put towards this one! I guess we will see. We can't afford to pay that much for a 12 night. I'm so sad right now!

Yep, that's the cruise I am booked on and I agree .. RIDICULOUS.  If this all settles out and I can actually sail, I am really really going to appreciate that cruise and thank the heavens that I have the drink package!  🙂

Edited to add that I would not be surprised for that particular cruise to stay high as it has been high for a while and it must be due to supply and demand but hope it goes down for you and you can join the party .

Edited by poffles
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, newfiegirl4 said:

Sorry we will miss you on this one...that is if we don't get cancelled. Keep your eye on this one for just that. Not sure what the policy is regarding those who have recently taken an FCC for a cruise that eventually got cancelled, but it may be worth exploring for a refund should a cancellation come to fruition. Someone here with recent experience may be able to better answer that for you. 

Keep your chin up, I just don't see these prices holding up. These lines need cash in hand, and raising prices to such a high level just doesn't seem like a feasible means to do so. Look no further than lines backing loans with ships, eventually you have to pay up.  Let the dust settle and the 4th of July / Labor Day sales will be coming. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, treehugr said:

Keep your chin up, I just don't see these prices holding up. These lines need cash in hand, and raising prices to such a high level just doesn't seem like a feasible means to do so. Look no further than lines backing loans with ships, eventually you have to pay up. 

This is what my voice of reason keeps thinking too.  They won't be profitable if they can't get people to pay what customers deem unreasonable and sailing with less people doesn't make sense.  At least in the more immediate time they may have to balance getting people to sail in filling the ships.  Fingers crossed.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, poffles said:

5 minutes ago, poffles said:

This is what my voice of reason keeps thinking too.  They won't be profitable if they can't get people to pay what customers deem unreasonable and sailing with less people doesn't make sense.  At least in the more immediate time they may have to balance getting people to sail in filling the ships.  Fingers crossed.

This is my guess as to what will happen:  they will keep prices high, hoping that people will use their FCC and that Celebrity Loyalists or those with Elite status will just bite the bullet and pay what's asked since they get other benefits. They will then allow some agencies and agents to have secret sales at lower prices if the ships aren't selling.  You would never hear about these sales or prices unless you were a customer of one of these agents/agencies.

They will "encourage" by a variety of means, people to post at various sites around the internet exciting articles and/or blog posts etc about upcoming cruises an/or destinations in an attempt to make people Feel/Fear Like they're Missing Out (FOMO).  Anyone who knows about sales, knows that 1/2 is the product, 1/2 is psychological/excitement.... think of the timeshare hard sell or Ebay as an auction is closing.  Some of us have probably made spontaneous purchases that we regretted -- the NRD makes this even more likely.

If, worst case, they can't get people to pay full-price, I'd guess they will allow agencies to offer reduced fare cruises to high selling agents, etc.  A lot of money is made via onboard sales. You need people onboard to sell them things, then those agents can post blogs/photos/etc see FOMO above.  Just my $.02

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

well our April 1st Cruise was cancelled in the weekend courtesy of the NZ Government banning all cruise ships from entering NZ - we were disappointed but not surprised

We've been offered 125% Future Cruise credit or a 100% refund to our credit card.

Wife & I spent ages last night looking up cruises for later in the year (November / December) and we saw some we liked and have shortlisted them, however my wife spoke to someone at her work this morning and they advised her to take the money and run....

They said that some cruise companies may go out of business because of this leaving thousands out of pocket.... and she also said that these travel restrictions could go on for many more months and if we book a cruise for November / December 2020 that might get cancelled too.....

I explained that RCCL is probably a huge company and I doubt it will go bust anytime soon

but wife is now hesitant about taking the FCC.... but I'm still keen to book another cruise.... before all the other affected passengers book up the cruises using their FCC!

What would you do in this situation??

9 minutes ago, SunNFunCruzer said:

This is my guess as to what will happen:  they will keep prices high, hoping that people will use their FCC and that Celebrity Loyalists or those with Elite status will just bite the bullet and pay what's asked since they get other benefits. They will then allow some agencies and agents to have secret sales at lower prices if the ships aren't selling.  You would never hear about these sales or prices unless you were a customer of one of these agents/agencies.

They will "encourage" by a variety of means, people to post at various sites around the internet exciting articles and/or blog posts etc about upcoming cruises an/or destinations in an attempt to make people Feel/Fear Like they're Missing Out (FOMO).  Anyone who knows about sales, knows that 1/2 is the product, 1/2 is psychological/excitement.... think of the timeshare hard sell or Ebay as an auction is closing.  Some of us have probably made spontaneous purchases that we regretted -- the NRD makes this even more likely.

If, worst case, they can't get people to pay full-price, I'd guess they will allow agencies to offer reduced fare cruises to high selling agents, etc.  A lot of money is made via onboard sales. You need people onboard to sell them things, then those agents can post blogs/photos/etc see FOMO above.  Just my $.02

Yeah, while certainly interesting, I just don't know. How many cruise lines / ships are out there? For such a strategy to work, cruise lines would have to be in lock step with one another and I just don't see that strategy working in any business. Some lines are better positioned than others and could potentially weather the storm longer than others, but for how long. I for one wouldn't succumb to such pressure, but then again I've been on many cruises and know I have many options, not to mention time on my side.  

I would take the money & run!  Why?? Cruises in Nov/Dec will not be fully booked unless you are cruising in the Thanksgiving or Christmas week. The first 14 days of December is always slow for the cruise industry. And, there is some truth to the rumors of RCL going under.  Take the 100% cash & be made whole.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

well our April 1st Cruise was cancelled in the weekend courtesy of the NZ Government banning all cruise ships from entering NZ - we were disappointed but not surprised

We've been offered 125% Future Cruise credit or a 100% refund to our credit card.

Wife & I spent ages last night looking up cruises for later in the year (November / December) and we saw some we liked and have shortlisted them, however my wife spoke to someone at her work this morning and they advised her to take the money and run....

They said that some cruise companies may go out of business because of this leaving thousands out of pocket.... and she also said that these travel restrictions could go on for many more months and if we book a cruise for November / December 2020 that might get cancelled too.....

I explained that RCCL is probably a huge company and I doubt it will go bust anytime soon

but wife is now hesitant about taking the FCC.... but I'm still keen to book another cruise.... before all the other affected passengers book up the cruises using their FCC!

If you know anything about investing, take a look at the Cruiselines assets vs. liabilities vs. last reported cash on hand.  That will tell you a lot and most of these lines are publicly traded so the information is readily available.  

If your preferred Cruiseline has little cash, and a lot of debt, their assets are ships that as of today no one will pay to get on.... so.... 

IMO it's going to get a lot worse for a lot of industries before it gets better.  Cruising is, and always will be, a luxury.  People in some areas of the country are literally quarantined in their homes.  Think about that.  The more people minimize this and continue to operate like its business as usual, the longer we all will be impacted.  Good luck with your decision.

If it helps clarify your thinking: if your company's future was iffy and your boss said, hey, you can choose, no paycheck for the next 8 months, or 10 months pay, 8 months from now, what would you choose?  That's 25% more of your paycheck.

This is going to do a huge amount of damage to the industry. The worst disruption to their business, ever, just took place a few day ago. You don't have to start trying to rebook right this second. Relax. Give them some time. The industry is going to take a big hit over this and that will most likely result in lower prices. 

We were booked on the Reflection for April 3 and had applied a FCC to that sailing and paid the remainder on our credit card.  I have not been able to reach anyone to see how the future cruise credits will be issued in that case. There is a question of whether we will receive a single FCC for the total cruise fare and if so, will it be for 125% of the total fare. Has anyone who used FCC gotten details on how the FCC for the cancelled cruises will be issued? 

Thanks!

Edited by Torfamm

From the CWC page on Celebrity's page.

Q: What happens if you used your FCC to pay for an existing cruise and now you wish to cancel under the Cruise with Confidence terms?

A: The original Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated with the prior FCC amount and expiration date. If expired or due-to-expire before October 31st, 2020, you will be granted an extension through October 31st, 2020 to redeem. Your will also receive a new Future Cruise Credit based on the remaining amount paid and following the Cruise with Confidence policy terms.

5 minutes ago, UKPete71 said:

From the CWC page on Celebrity's page.

Q: What happens if you used your FCC to pay for an existing cruise and now you wish to cancel under the Cruise with Confidence terms?

A: The original Future Cruise Credit will be reinstated with the prior FCC amount and expiration date. If expired or due-to-expire before October 31st, 2020, you will be granted an extension through October 31st, 2020 to redeem. Your will also receive a new Future Cruise Credit based on the remaining amount paid and following the Cruise with Confidence policy terms.

That was very clear for those who chose to cancel under the Cruise with Confidence terms.  Can't find any details on compensation if Celebrity cancels the cruise.  

Edited by Torfamm

I did this whole thing backwards.  I took the refund then I started looking at future cruises and prices.

I sure am glad I took the refund!😁

Maybe I'll look at Princess.  They may be "damaged" more than other lines and there maybe some deals there early next year, who knows.  I think they do beverage packages now (15 alcoholic drink max per day, but we couldn't do even close to that anymore).

• Like 1

Just now, Torfamm said:

That was very clear with cancelling with Cruise with Confidence.  Can't find any details on compensation if Celebrity cancels the cruise.  

I would expect you get the FCC back for the value redeemed, rather than at 125%. We are in the same position for an April transatlantic. We redeemed a FCC voucher ahead of final payment. 

I'd be interested to know what your outcome is once you know.

36 minutes ago, Muffinz said:

You will get many different answers, but me personally I think I might be tempted to take the money as the sure thing.  I seen one person post recently about credit cards covering cost if a company goes bankrupt, could be an interesting thing to know for sure as that would matter in the decision. 

I might have to go look that up for myself.  I had an NCL cruise booked that I cancelled under the FCC refund, they didn't offer the refund when I cancelled on Tuesday for my cruise that was to sail TODAY!   I am normally Celebrity cruiser thus my seeing this thread and posting.