Just an idea to share

mauibabes

34 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Some cruise lines will go under. It has happened before.  Oceania has 4 R ships that were originally Renaissance Cruises. Renaissance went out of business. There have been other cruise line casualties like Home Lines, Majesty Cruises and Royal Viking.  Their ships were sold off. Some of those ships are still sailing. 

Weren't they privately owned lines ?

36 minutes ago, Redtravel said:

Buy NCL stock...never.  Cruise stock is not a good bet. That OBC won’t be worth much if people stop cruising. NCL could go out of business.  While I don’t think it is the end of all cruising, there will be casualties. Some cruise lines will go under. It has happened before.  Oceania has 4 R ships that were originally Renaissance Cruises. Renaissance went out of business. There have been other cruise line casualties like Home Lines, Majesty Cruises and Royal Viking.  Their ships were sold off. Some of those ships are still sailing. 

The market was  totally different then...  But I agree...never buy stock in such volatile companies  for a few dollars.  Rather buy for long term investment and growth....The cruise industry is too saturated... Branson Viking Carnival RCCL.   Branson  has not even sailed has it?   Doesent even have a market

I will say any NCL stock purchase will be speculative and full of risk. That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I would rather be an optimist and believe the industry will not be allowed to sink, figuratively or literally. I was just sharing a thought and a minor way to show some support for a cruise line we really enjoy, especially our Oceania family. It wasn't much, call it equivalent to a few Shore Excursions that turned out to be less than stellar.  I put my money where my mouth is and ponied up a $1,000 and when we hopefully take our cruise in December, as a Stockholder, we will receive an extra $250 in SBC. I will call that a good Return on Investment. A cruise or two in 2021 or 2022 with a couple more $250 SBC gifts and it will be a $750 ROI. I am betting into 2021 it will be well above what I paid for it. Like everyone, we all make some dumb expenditures in life so time will tell the story. Just a thought and a gamble and worth every cent that was paid for it which was $0.00.

With luck and an end to this Covid 19 pandemic, we will see you again on a future Oceania cruise.

On 3/19/2020 at 11:33 AM, clo said:

We consider ourselves good students of our money. So far so very good. What we found in '08 is that almost no one changed their standard of living.

We seem to have associated in different circles.

"Foreclosures up a record 81% in 2008 - Jan. 15, 2009"
https://money.cnn.com/2009/01/15/real_estate/millions_in_foreclosure/

I highly doubt that the $250 OBC for stock owners will continue in the near future. That’s equivalent to buying a stock, with faltering earnings, on its current dividend rate! Companies slice dividends when and as needed! If you believe NCL is a good long term buy. then it may be a good investment at current prices. Buying based on a short term OBC play is foolish. I personally see further downside on the stock price.

Edited by pinotlover

We can only hope the SBC continues for us Shareholders. IF it all holds together and you happen to be on Marina for the Holidays heading to South America, I will buy you a glass of Pinot and we will celebrate together. If not on board, hoist a glass to the dummy who made such a suggestion, you knew better.

Ciao

1 hour ago, LHT28 said:

Weren't they privately owned lines ?

Doesn’t matter if owned privately or publicly. Both types of businesses can go out of business.  The topic was buying NCL stock to get OBC. I wouldn’t do it.  I don’t wish any businesses bad times. Sadly, we are about to see closures and mass unemployment. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, YoHoHo said:

We seem to have associated in different circles.

"Foreclosures up a record 81% in 2008 - Jan. 15, 2009"
https://money.cnn.com/2009/01/15/real_estate/millions_in_foreclosure/

I'm not going to get into the adjustable rate mortgage fiasco, for which I think borrowers and lenders were at fault. And I should have written more succinctly. Of the people we knew or knew of, none of them changed their standard of living. At that time Bob had already been laid off and 'offered' early retirement which could have been bad enough. Except we had no debt. No mortgage, car payments. But it was still tight. So we sold our motorhome, we stopped traveling, we rarely went out to dinner. So we didn't have to sell any of our 401(k) and it came all the way back and a little more in 18 months. We wound up not having to touch the IRA (switched from a 401(k) ) til he was 70-1/2.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mauibabes said:

I will say any NCL stock purchase will be speculative and full of risk. That said, nothing ventured, nothing gained. I would rather be an optimist and believe the industry will not be allowed to sink, figuratively or literally. I was just sharing a thought and a minor way to show some support for a cruise line we really enjoy, especially our Oceania family. It wasn't much, call it equivalent to a few Shore Excursions that turned out to be less than stellar.  I put my money where my mouth is and ponied up a $1,000 and when we hopefully take our cruise in December, as a Stockholder, we will receive an extra $250 in SBC. I will call that a good Return on Investment. A cruise or two in 2021 or 2022 with a couple more $250 SBC gifts and it will be a $750 ROI. I am betting into 2021 it will be well above what I paid for it. Like everyone, we all make some dumb expenditures in life so time will tell the story. Just a thought and a gamble and worth every cent that was paid for it which was $0.00.

With luck and an end to this Covid 19 pandemic, we will see you again on a future Oceania cruise.

well.... yes  you getting a good return o $1000 invested... at 25%.     However to get your $250 your on board credit   your having to $pend 7-14 K  to get it.... is it really a savings?  Then  there is the question that if your in the loyalty programs of many lines  you get  not only credits equal to those from stock  and in addition get gratuities paid, not to mention the extras given by your agent either in rebates or on board credits.      If  your good with 15 to 30K a year to get $500 back.... I am glad.   It sounds  good however for the cruise line.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

well.... yes  you getting a good return o $1000 invested... at 25%.     However to get your $250 your on board credit   your having to $pend 7-14 K  to get it.... is it really a savings?  Then  there is the question that if your in the loyalty programs of many lines  you get  not only credits equal to those from stock  and in addition get gratuities paid, not to mention the extras given by your agent either in rebates or on board credits.      If  your good with 15 to 30K a year to get $500 back.... I am glad.   It sounds  good however for the cruise line.

48 minutes ago, Hawaiidan said:

Hawaiidan, 

If one thing I have learned in life; Happy Wife, Happy Life and it isn’t about the dollars. We just celebrated our 50th Anniversary and two things my wife loves, her annual trip to Maui to see the Humpbacks AND a cruise on Oceania.  Oh yes, and 14 days is a minimum and the more the merrier, especially if long flights are involved. Another part is the wonderful people we meet on our trips on Oceania. We have been on numerous cruise lines but we feel we are returning home as soon as we set foot on board. Even when you start the boarding process, it is a totally different feel and we love it.  Oceania is Home.

We do get great benefits through our TA; Oceania Club Free Gratuities, SBC, and Excursions. An extra $250 SBC is always welcomed because it can add an evening in Prive with friends which is a very special experience. Any cruise on Marina or Riviera always includes an evening or two in Prive which our friends always look forward to when we are together. Now they embrace an evening in La Reserve and a Dom Perignon dinner. Many friends have also become Stockholders and believe me, they know how to spend the SBC. 

Again, Happy Wife, Happy Life.

Hawaiidan, 

If one thing I have learned in life; Happy Wife, Happy Life and it isn’t about the dollars. We just celebrated our 50th Anniversary and two things my wife loves, her annual trip to Maui to see the Humpbacks AND a cruise on Oceania.  Oh yes, and 14 days is a minimum and the more the merrier, especially if long flights are involved. Another part is the wonderful people we meet on our trips on Oceania. We have been on numerous cruise lines but we feel we are returning home as soon as we set foot on board. Even when you start the boarding process, it is a totally different feel and we love it.  Oceania is Home.

We do get great benefits through our TA; Oceania Club Free Gratuities, SBC, and Excursions. An extra $250 SBC is always welcomed because it can add an evening in Prive with friends which is a very special experience. Any cruise on Marina or Riviera always includes an evening or two in Prive which our friends always look forward to when we are together. Now they embrace an evening in La Reserve and a Dom Perignon dinner. Many friends have also become Stockholders and believe me, they know how to spend the SBC. 

14 hours ago, mauibabes said:

We can only hope the SBC continues for us Shareholders. IF it all holds together and you happen to be on Marina for the Holidays heading to South America, I will buy you a glass of Pinot and we will celebrate together. If not on board, hoist a glass to the dummy who made such a suggestion, you knew better.

Ciao

I would love to have that glass of wine with you, but we are booked on the Marina , BA to Lima starting 1/28/21! Looks like we may be missing each other! 🍷

OMG Pinotlover,

So close to sharing a glass. We will be getting off in Rio on January 18. The conditions of rebooking our Insignia Tokyo to SF cruise was we had to select a cruise departing prior to Dec. 31 .We had some friends getting aboard on Dec. 5 in Miami for a Panama Canal trip so we selected this Extended Journey, Miami to Rio. BUMMER, we would have loved to sit and chat over a fine glass of vino.

Back to the Stockholder benefit, that kind of benefit has been around the industry forever.  We are looking forward to reaping the benefits as a Christmas present from NCLH. If Scrooge does not come through, that's life. I did have to smile this a.m. as I looked at the Stock market and saw things up for NCL as was Carnival and RCL. I would never buy any of these as a mainstay in our retirement portfolio,  but it is fun to see the reactions of some to my "idea".

Ciao all and lets pray the Covid 19 is left in our wake and medical science comes to our rescue. In the mean time we pray for all to remain safe, healthy and blessed.

• Like 1

On 3/24/2020 at 6:43 AM, pinotlover said:

I would love to have that glass of wine with you, but we are booked on the Marina , BA to Lima starting 1/28/21! Looks like we may be missing each other! 🍷

Hawaiidan, 

We do get great benefits through our TA; Oceania Club Free Gratuities, SBC, and Excursions. An extra $250 SBC is always welcomed because it can add an evening in Prive with friends which is a very special experience. Any cruise on Marina or Riviera always includes an evening or two in Prive which our friends always look forward to when we are together. Now they embrace an evening in La Reserve and a Dom Perignon dinner. Many friends have also become Stockholders and believe me, they know how to spend the SBC. 

OMG folks, the stock price has taken off, $17+. Yes, it can go back down but at least it is making a move in the right direction. Someone on here bought in in the $7 range, congrats. Not the smartest investment for some but we will call it a symbolic investment. 

Our real hope is the industry comes back, the virus is arrested and we get a vaccine in due time and we learn some valuable lessons. We enjoy our cruise experiences and our Oceania family 
Ciao and see you on the high seas.