Suspect Celebrity Cancelled for 30 Days at the Request of the White House

Jim_Iain

I was just listening to the latest press conference and Pence thanked all the Cruise Lines that "voluntarily" shut down for 30 days and said that they had shut down some of the smaller cruise lines.   I suspect that is why the cancellation came on so abruptly.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Jim_Iain said:

I was just listening to the latest press conference and Pence thanked all the Cruise Lines that "voluntarily" shut down for 30 days and said that they had shut down some of the smaller cruise lines.   I suspect that is why the cancellation came on so abruptly.

That is a known fact.

3CFA0A4D-5612-4E8B-9F99-62757E0814BA.jpeg

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

I know things take time but we didn't get any communication from Celebrity until about 9:00 PM.    I hadn't seen any post about Trump ordering it here on CC or FB just a lot of complaints of Celebrity making the decision and blaming them.   The reason for my post.

• Like 2

However, I do not feel Celebrity handled this well.  They kept putting band aids on top of band aids during the week.  The stream of letters/emails/guidance they sent out was confusing to many.  And they were encouraging customers until the very end with move up deals.  A few other lines made stoppage announcements way before Celebrity.  Yes, it's a bad situation, but the handwriting was on the wall earlier in the week.  I hope they (management) learned some lessons...🙄

• Like 1

I don’t think many of the cruise lines would have voluntarily suspended cruises.  OMG, they weren’t even having the staff serve in the Buffet!  So I’m glad they were told to do the right thing.  And this affected me personally as well; we had a B2B that was canceled yesterday.  Of course I didn’t have the bad luck of folks who had traveled to Florida just to find out last night they weren’t sailing.

We dropped off some friends at the terminal for the March 13 Celebrity Equinox sailing out of Port Everglades.  I guess they were one of the last cruises out.  I hope they are allowed back home on March 23.  We were on the Feb. 23 - March 6 Silhouette cruise.  Had a great time but just learned about the passenger on our sailing with COVID-19.

1 hour ago, cluso said:

However, I do not feel Celebrity handled this well.  They kept putting band aids on top of band aids during the week.  The stream of letters/emails/guidance they sent out was confusing to many.  And they were encouraging customers until the very end with move up deals.  A few other lines made stoppage announcements way before Celebrity.  Yes, it's a bad situation, but the handwriting was on the wall earlier in the week.  I hope they (management) learned some lessons...🙄

I guess in the event of another global pandemic all the cruise lines will be able to handle things better based on their experience with handling this one. Experience is the best teacher. 

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean did not suspend operations for 30 days, effective March 14th!  They only cancelled cruises through April 10th and plan to resume cruises on April 11th!

April 12th would be the 30th day for cancelled cruises.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jim_Iain said:

I know things take time but we didn't get any communication from Celebrity until about 9:00 PM.    I hadn't seen any post about Trump ordering it here on CC or FB just a lot of complaints of Celebrity making the decision and blaming them.   The reason for my post.

It's very easy to understand how you missed the post with mr. T's Tweet. Yesterday it seemed a little chaotic on the boards. It was hard to keep up with everything. 😉

Yet it's not actually 30 days—it's four weeks. The Celebrity Infinity is still set to sail on April 11 (28 days from the announced time). It appeared on their cancellation list last night...then mysteriously disappeared from it. Others are getting 125% future sail credits or full refunds. Our group includes (actually focuses on) two elderly people with health conditions; i.e., they absolutely can't go. Not good.

Edited by melish27

4 minutes ago, candydane said:

Celebrity and Royal Caribbean did not suspend operations for 30 days, effective March 14th!  They only cancelled cruises through April 10th and plan to resume cruises on April 11th!

Apparently not by their calculations.😁

Just now, melish27 said:

Yet it's not actually 30 days—it's four weeks. The Celebrity Infinity is still set to sail on April 11 (28 days from the announced time). It appeared on their cancellation list last night...then mysteriously disappeared from it. Not good. Others are getting 125% future sail credits or full refunds. Our group includes (actually focuses on) two elderly people with health conditions; i.e., they absolutely can't go. So far no good.

I'm personally happy that Infinity is set to sail on the 11th. I really would like to go on my cruise!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, candydane said:

Yeah, I'm booked on a Celebrity cruise on the 11th and not too happy about it.

Just now, goofysmom99 said:

Be patient.  The 11th is a long way out.  Just look at what the past week has seen.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm counting on. (There's even talk of general domestic flight restrictions, which would force many hands.)

4 minutes ago, melish27 said:

Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm counting on. (There's even talk of general domestic flight restrictions, which would force many hands.)

My colonoscopy has been postponed, so there's some good news.  Unfortunately, already bought the jello cups but I think they have a shelf half-life like nuclear waste so they should keep. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 5