Cruise Critic Community

42 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

Tourism forms a big chunk of the Spanish economy and they are keen to Kickstart this.

The only way the Spanish can guarentee that tourist will have no risk or bring any risk to the country is to have no tourism. The word "guarentee" is one that I never use with my patients and rarely with anyone else. Mostly the only things that are guarenteed are those that have happened in the past.

1 hour ago, LXA350 said:

The Shengen countries include most EU countries.

26 are and 16 aren't

Just find Shengen a strange reference to cruising. You could have said, Europe except UK.

I think a lot of changes will be on the way as the ships will follow the money. A lot of poverty has been created with C-19.

In Uk if you are furloughed you get 80% of your wages. Not sure what the rest of Europe are getting.

24 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Just saw posted on the Blog site that the value of the drydock was listed at 16 million euros. If that’s all then it would appear that they are just doing the required mechanical work and nothing from the amplification. 

One of the reports stated the number 1 repair was the azipod. Wonder how much that will cost. The blades were on the heli deck during the Ta. They will get a fair bit done for 16 mill

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

The only way the Spanish can guarentee that tourist will have no risk or bring any risk to the country is to have no tourism. The word "guarentee" is one that I never use with my patients and rarely with anyone else. Mostly the only things that are guarenteed are those that have happened in the past.

I agree and I am surprised the Spanish used the word guarantee.

4 hours ago, bigeck said:

26 are and 16 aren't

Just find Shengen a strange reference to cruising. You could have said, Europe except UK.

I think a lot of changes will be on the way as the ships will follow the money. A lot of poverty has been created with C-19.

In Uk if you are furloughed you get 80% of your wages. Not sure what the rest of Europe are getting.

Switzerland (MSC and Viking headquarters) and Norway and Iceland are Schengen agreement countries and could use the Schengen visa program to control who can sail on cruise ships departing from or visiting a Schengen port. The most important part of the Schengen visa is that international travelers are required to prove they have health insurance while traveling. 

3 hours ago, grapau27 said:

I agree and I am surprised the Spanish used the word guarantee

Is it possible it was improperly translated?  I can't believe any country would use guarantee.

Good to see Allure in Dry dock.  The scope of work should be determined by now and I wish Royal would step up and announce what they will accomplish on her

18 minutes ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Good to see Allure in Dry dock.  The scope of work should be determined by now and I wish Royal would step up and announce what they will accomplish on her

It’s not much as there was a report that it’s 16m euros which is 10 - 15% Of the initial Amplification.  It appears that very little beyond azipod repair and required mechanical work will be completed. 

11 hours ago, LXA350 said:

I would say Shengen + select countries from Asia maybe.

EU is more than just Schengen... Would also still apply to UK... I doubt that Asia will be allowed.

steamboats

The most importen is bringing her back to cruising. I Think the most people like the ship as it is now. Better to spend money on bringing cruising back to us.

11 hours ago, Preziosa said:

Will Barcelona now allow cruiseships, It Will Be fantastic if This happen. Can t wait.

Nope, not yet... June 7th is the latest date given by the Spanish authorities...

steamboats

22 minutes ago, steamboats said:

Nope, not yet... June 7th is the latest date given by the Spanish authorities...

steamboats

Has there been any specific announcement re cruises that you have seen? 

5 hours ago, zonacruiser25 said:

Is it possible it was improperly translated?  I can't believe any country would use guarantee.

I understand they are just fixing Allures azipods and doing the mandatory dry dock servicing.

It is quite possible the translation could be wrong.

The Spanish Balearic Islands and Canary Islands are quite safe but Madrid and Barcelona on the mainland are still not safe but the Spanish were incredibly strict with their lockdown and their hospitals were overwhelmed so I think they will want to be careful.

6 hours ago, little britain said:

Has there been any specific announcement re cruises that you have seen? 

Check the weekly round-up here.

steamboats

who was just reminded that we boarded the Allure today in Barcelona 5 years ago...

18 hours ago, bigeck said:

Why non Eu countries only

Didnt you leave Eu

9 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

Didnt you leave Eu

Typo.

I just don't see Royal stating Shengen member countries only.

Like saying ships from Southampton will be for Uk citizens only

Not going to happen. Money talks and Royal will need money when it starts up again 

1 minute ago, bigeck said:

Typo.

Not going to happen. Money talks and Royal will need money when it starts up again 

Just remember that Royal have said they only need 30% occupancy on newer ships to break even

On 5/20/2020 at 2:06 PM, Floridadude said:

As of today, their site is still showing the full amp features to entice future cruisers.

The deck plans also show the upgrades and changes.

I am booked on the  Allure for December and am fine without the changes.

I have  sailed all the Oasis class ships multiple times and really don’t care but they should not miss lead people. Take it off your site if it’s not happening.

Absolutely agree. We are sailing end of January. 

23 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

Just remember that Royal have said they only need 30% occupancy on newer ships to break even

They will never sail that low. Im guessing more 70%. They need to recoup as much money as they can. Ever time Ive been on Allure its sailed at capacity. 70% profit? Hmmm

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Blondiemomm said:

They will never sail that low. Im guessing more 70%. They need to recoup as much money as they can. Ever time Ive been on Allure its sailed at capacity. 70% profit? Hmmm

I doubt they will cancel individual sailings, they might have a few which are 50/70% or so but if one sails at just over 30% it’d probably still go ahead. They are going to want to get people back into cruising. 

A lot of them are going to be 50%, that’s what TUI have announced for there ships. 

Edited by Jack McGowan

17 minutes ago, Jack McGowan said:

I doubt they will cancel individual sailings, they might have a few which are 50/70% or so but if one sails at just over 30% it’d probably still go ahead. They are going to want to get people back into cruising. 

A lot of them are going to be 50%, that’s what TUI have announced for there ships. 

Our January Allure sailing is already over 50%...interesting to see how this plays out...

1 hour ago, Jack McGowan said:

Tui will start of sailing with 50% capacity this summer, however as they will develop the new concepts this will also be gradually be increased.

46 minutes ago, Blondiemomm said:

Our January Allure sailing is already over 50%...interesting to see how this plays out...

If cruises will be happening in January RCL will either react soon to cap the maximum amount of passengers, which will likely be above 50% but maybe not more than 80%, a level they might not even be able to reach over the first months once sailings will begin.

What confuses people, the crusilines are no planing to sail at 30 / 50% longer term. When RCL made the comment they refered to what the minimum capacity they need that it even makes economical sense to operate the cruise. It's not a break even point but already will make them loose less money than having the ship in warm layup. That cruiselines don't want ships over th first months at 100% capacity will probably happen automatically due to demand developments and if not they will take needed measures starting with lowest fare cabins etc.

42 minutes ago, LXA350 said:

If cruises will be happening in January RCL will either react soon to cap the maximum amount of passengers, which will likely be above 50% but maybe not more than 80%, a level they might not even be able to reach over the first months once sailings will begin.

If capacity limits are anything like airlines, why bother.  Planes with 160 seats are flying with 136 passengers.  Makes no sense with just a few seats empty.  Whatever max reduced capacity Royal uses I do not believe it will be long to reach that number.  Allure should be sailing almost right out of the yards if the "new" scheduling holds up.  Ports are another subject altogether!

3 hours ago, bigeck said:

Typo.

Royal didn´t say anything like that... It´s the EU which might not open up for non EU countries. And don´t worry, UK still counts as EU country til the end of the year...

steamboats

2 hours ago, Blondiemomm said:

I don’t think there is any chance of a ship sailing at 70% capacity IF social distancing is still an issue. The 30 and 50 percent numbers came from RCI. It’s not like people on this forum are guessing what capacity is required for a cruise to be profitable for RCI.