Cruise Critic Community

Posted (edited)

I looked at a couple of different positioning sites and it looks like the Allure is well past Gibraltar.  Gibraltar is still shown as the destination though.

Edited by LeDemonBlond

12 minutes ago, LeDemonBlond said:

I looked at a couple of different positioning sites and it looks like the Allure is well past Gibraltar.  Gibraltar is still shown as the destination though.

Right! Where is she headed?? 

2 hours ago, suizas said:

Right! Where is she headed?? 

Based on the ETA that's still showing, would Rotterdam or South Hampton be feasible? I mention South Hampton because of something that came up from the linked post, and Rotterdam because I think they have an Oasis sized drydock there. 

Either way, I can't see her going back to the US before getting the azipod bearing fixed at the very least. Sounds like it's gotten to the point that the ship vibrates with the third pod running, and they wouldn't want to risk having a second pod go bad while in the USA, especially with the Bahamas dock not coming back online until next year.

Only other thing I can think of is if they mothball Allure for awhile until things get better, but I can't see that realistically happening.

3 hours ago, P_and_L said:

Rotterdam because I think they have an Oasis sized drydock there. 

This might be possible though not sure why they wouldn't have AIS info updated to reflect that.

According to her AIS. Allure is scheduled to arrive in Gibraltar on 19th. So maybe they are just spending the time in the ocean. 

1 minute ago, astangenes said:

According to her AIS. Allure is scheduled to arrive in Gibraltar on 19th. So maybe they are just spending the time in the ocean. 

I believe maritime rules only allow ships to transit the Gibraltar Strait (which is not in international waters) so Allure can’t just hang out there, they need to keep moving. Just a guess.

Marinetraffic shows Southampton so who knows at this point...

She will probably lay up in Southampton till they decide what to do next. Most of the ports in Europe are closed now, so not many options to dock a ship of that size. That may give some hope that she will sail in the Med this year.

On 3/14/2020 at 6:45 PM, zonacruiser25 said:

So much speculation and too many unanswered questions.  It looks like the yard is posting that Allure will be repaired and sent on her way without being amped, no work on cabins or interior.  RCCL has been selling the Amped ship for some time now and since we are booked on Oct 25, 2020 and TA, much of our expectation is based on the "new" ship.  Now that may change dramatically which seems to change the value of the cruise.  With all of the uncertainty in the cruise industry now, who is to say Allure will even be in the Med in October.  Hopefully this question can generate some accurate information which I believe is in short supply right now.  I hope the rumors are all wrong and she will get her full amp refurb!

I would say they are trying to preserve cash right now.  Going to see a few big ones fall during this humanitarian crisis.  There is no chance cruising will resume from USA ports for another few months...

The joke is that royal are going to want final payment on a cruise that is either materially different or might never happen.

I wish they would just pull the plug on allure as it's a disaster. No amp and all its ports are the worst affected in europe.

Be better off sailing around mexico or Dubai or something.

Sent from my SM-N975F using Tapatalk

So many of us want nothing more than to hop on a ship and get away from the madness.  Unfortunately, if the panic we are seeing in the US right now is showing no signs of slowing down.  Logic and reason are being replaced by panic and fear.  I have no illusions that the cruise industry will bounce back quickly.  I want to cruise the Med and still look forward to doing so.  It is looking less likely it will happen in October

According to a certain blog on social media, Royal has confirmed today, 3/18/20, that planned amplifications of Allure and Explorer are on hold.  The response reads:  "In these unprecedented times, in addition to voluntarily suspending our global operations, port closures and travel restrictions have also affected the possibility of moving forward with our amplifications of Explorer of the Seas in Brest, France and Allure of the Seas in Cadiz, Spain this spring.  Both amplifications have been put on hold at this time.  With global developments rapidly evolving, we are reviewing all options to bring Explorer and Allure into dry dock this year and determining the extend of the enhancements we can implement."  

It would seem she's sailing towards Southampton and the reason for that maybe a little bizarre but may explain why she's heading there.

Now anyone who's boarded an Oasis class in Southampton knows it's chaos personified! The port is simply not capable of handling a ship of that size. 

So ..... maybe, and just maybe. Southampton have offered a berth to Allure to try and sway Rccl's future planning?

She's still only 2/3 days sail from Cadiz if things improve there and So'ton can call in their favour as n when they start touting for day calls on the regular crossings that the Oasis fleet are doing and will probably continue to do!

Wonder can't be far off being finished and isn't Oasis 6 on order?

Harmony is planned for next summer in the Med also iirc

The official term used by RCL was "on hold" versus "cancelled."  It is my understanding that these shipyards probably have schedules that are booked out at least a year.  Due to the delay in getting into port (due to closure) that has impacted their schedule.  Additionally, given the uncertainty of the anticipated cruise schedule (and port of call availability) this is a fluid situation.  

The best case scenario (for Allure cruisers) would be that the ship gets into Cadiz later than anticipated (with the shipyard simply bumping the schedule they have back) and the cancellation of several (if not all) Mediterranean cruises.

The worst case scenario would be that only the bare minimum be completed (five-year drydock stuff), perhaps at another shipyard that has availability.  

1 minute ago, tcfc424 said:

The worst case scenario would be that only the bare minimum be completed (five-year drydock stuff), perhaps at another shipyard that has availability. 

I think is a given.

Posted (edited)

Obviously, the situation is fluid. I anticipate they will do as much as they can and offer any med cruises they are allowed to, based upon port openings. Much of the AMPing is paid for, so if the dry dock window shortens, they’ll quickly do what they can, for the least money. I bet we will still get the Abyss. It’s cheap, quick to put in, and flashy. If anything gets cut, it’ll be some of the interior spaces. As long as they clean it up, fix the azipod, and make some updates, they can sign off for another 5 years. It makes no sense to do nothing and have to cancel more cruises later. 

Now, if closures extend 2 months, all he’ll breaks loose world-wide. 

Edited by pyrateslife4me84

There is no reason to send the ship back to the states.  The big thing that has to be done is the five year inspection.  The only place to do that is in Europe.  The azipod thing can be dealt with.  A Princess cruise ship went two years or so with one inoperable pod.

For those asking about Freeport.  The dry dock is considered a total loss.  There are other dry dock(s) at Freeport but they smaller than the one they were used/trying to use for the other two Oasis ships.  I think I heard there were feelers about dredging/digging out a dry dock much like some of the dry dock in Europe.

We are booked on Celebrity Equinox next year 2021.

Celebrity Equinox only did a partial refit when they were in dry dock last year (had to go to Spain due to situation in Bahamas, so lost 2 weeks of time for refit due to travel across Atlantic and back).  Many of the cabins were not completely refitted - some reportedly were and others just received new bedding.  The new Suite Deck is minus a bar and jacuzzi that were in the original plans.

We were just on Allure in February 2020; some things looking a little worn/tired, but it was lovely and very clean and the staff is exceptional.  You will have a great time!

2 hours ago, Norwich Cruiser said:

Allure is supposedly going to be docked in Southampton from 20th to the 25th March.

According to Port of Southampton she will leave for Cadiz on 25th March. Lets hope Cadiz will be open for that time.