Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
sandyss

Does Azamara Need to Change Their Cancellation Policy?

Recommended Posts

In the current Covid-19 environment, Azamara's 120 Day cancellation window needs to be revised.  We will need to decide by early June about a cruise that we have booked for October.  While we are hopeful that this virus will be contained by early June, we will not want to take the risk of a 25% cancellation penalty if we are not confident that we will not be impacted on our October cruise.  Since we select cruises based upon ports, an FCC would not be acceptable to us.  Azamara needs to be more flexible, and revise their cancellation policy to a 60 day cancellation window for this year due to the uncertainty surrounding cruising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

June is a long way off.  We have three booked in October but I’m not thinking that far ahead right now.  If this is still an issue in June, or September, I’m sure it will be addressed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, laurieb said:

June is a long way off.  We have three booked in October but I’m not thinking that far ahead right now.  If this is still an issue in June, or September, I’m sure it will be addressed 

Due to the lack of things being addressed by Azamara currently, we will need to make a decision on our October cruise in June.  We would prefer to wait longer, but due to Azamara's onerous cancellation policy, we may need to cancel our cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Agree- our final payment is due in April for an August departure. One can still get cancel for any reason trip insurance although the premium has doubled from a few months ago. Even then it only covers 75% of your losses. Changing the final payment to 60 (or even 90) days out would relieve a lot of the decision making stress. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It could be as they revise itineraries going forward, it would be helpful for them to know who is willing to pay to be on a certain cruise.

 

In any event, you should cancel if you don't feel comfortable cruising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, laurieb said:

June is a long way off.  We have three booked in October but I’m not thinking that far ahead right now.  If this is still an issue in June, or September, I’m sure it will be addressed 

Agreed. We will think about our October cruise in July when final payment is due. In any case if we can’t go because of British govt advice, our travel insurance will cover us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s March.  I think it’s really unreasonable and unrealistic to expect any cruise line to be thinking ahead to an October cruise right now. The decisions they are having to make for here and now are first and foremost the most important.  Maybe you should just cancel now and miss out on a wonderful cruise that’s still 7 months away.  Geesh have some patience and cut them some slack 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, laurieb said:

It’s March.  I think it’s really unreasonable and unrealistic to expect any cruise line to be thinking ahead to an October cruise right now. The decisions they are having to make for here and now are first and foremost the most important.  Maybe you should just cancel now and miss out on a wonderful cruise that’s still 7 months away.  Geesh have some patience and cut them some slack 

We’ll make our decision based on UK govt advice and our own health at the time that seems reasonable to us, regardless of Azamara’s policies. It’s unlikely that they will make a decision about a cruise at the end of October before September.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Host Grandma Cruising said:

We’ll make our decision based on UK govt advice and our own health at the time that seems reasonable to us, regardless of Azamara’s policies. It’s unlikely that they will make a monthedecision about a cruise at the end of October before September.

 

Totally agree, who knows what is going to happen in the next few days never mind months.

Sounds like us oldies may be confined to quarters by the government shortly anyway if current reports are correct.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Azamara or rather RCL as Azamara aren’t calling the shots align to the whole travel industry. BA is cancelling 75% flights in April May so that is seriously going to impact on things 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/14/2020 at 8:48 PM, sandyss said:

In the current Covid-19 environment, Azamara's 120 Day cancellation window needs to be revised.  We will need to decide by early June about a cruise that we have booked for October.  While we are hopeful that this virus will be contained by early June, we will not want to take the risk of a 25% cancellation penalty if we are not confident that we will not be impacted on our October cruise.  Since we select cruises based upon ports, an FCC would not be acceptable to us.  Azamara needs to be more flexible, and revise their cancellation policy to a 60 day cancellation window for this year due to the uncertainty surrounding cruising.

 

Don't give RCL your cash.   They want to convert it to FCC to help with their cash flow.  If you want its OK to wait a while to cancel but don't let it get to the penalty phase.  Cruise bookings for October, even if things improve, will be light and you could always rebook your itinerary as last minute. 

 

I find it grossly irresponsible for Azamara (RCL) to be selling any April or May Med cruises at this time. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wheelhouse said:

 

Don't give RCL your cash.   They want to convert it to FCC to help with their cash flow.  If you want its OK to wait a while to cancel but don't let it get to the penalty phase.  Cruise bookings for October, even if things improve, will be light and you could always rebook your itinerary as last minute. 

 

I find it grossly irresponsible for Azamara (RCL) to be selling any April or May Med cruises at this time. 

Exactly my concern.  We do not want to get into the penalty phase with FCC.  So we will need to make a decision on our cruise a full 4 months before sailing.  That is why I would suggest that Azamara shorten the penalty phase to 60 days during the coronavirus crisis in order to allow their cruisers to make a more informed decision.  This would reduce the number of cancellations that Azamara will be receiving.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree that it is unreasonable to ask a cruise line to think many months ahead...but on the other hand we as quests must think 4 months ahead when we consider making the final payment. I really do not want to cancel my August cruise, nothwithstanding the fact that it is Italy intensive.  A shorter payment window would certainly keep me in the running!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sabbo55 said:

I agree that it is unreasonable to ask a cruise line to think many months ahead...but on the other hand we as quests must think 4 months ahead when we consider making the final payment. I really do not want to cancel my August cruise, nothwithstanding the fact that it is Italy intensive.  A shorter payment window would certainly keep me in the running!

With countries shutting down as far as allowing non citizens to enter you would think Azamara and RCL would realize their customers need more time to decide to sail or not. Our decision right now will be to cancel before the penalty phase kick in next month if they don't shorten the payment window. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, sabbo55 said:

I agree that it is unreasonable to ask a cruise line to think many months ahead...but on the other hand we as quests must think 4 months ahead when we consider making the final payment. I really do not want to cancel my August cruise, nothwithstanding the fact that it is Italy intensive.  A shorter payment window would certainly keep me in the running!

Yes, we have two August cruises and final payment is due in less than three weeks.  Time to speak up, Azamara.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, marinaro44 said:

Yes, we have two August cruises and final payment is due in less than three weeks.  Time to speak up, Azamara.

Let me add my voice to the chorus.  120 days prior for final payment in this situation makes no sense and ,quite frankly, is ludicrous.  we also have an august cruise and will cancel in early April.  If the time for final payment is reduced to 60 or 90 days we will continue to hang on.  However, I think we all admit there will be no substantive travel to Europe this summer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't think for the fall either. In the news I have been hearing a lot of discussion about the potential for this to have several waves.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, eldercruser said:

Let me add my voice to the chorus.  120 days prior for final payment in this situation makes no sense and ,quite frankly, is ludicrous.  we also have an august cruise and will cancel in early April.  If the time for final payment is reduced to 60 or 90 days we will continue to hang on.  However, I think we all admit there will be no substantive travel to Europe this summer.

Same here and more worrying is that Australia has now upped the advice level to DO NOT TRAVEL, I want to hang onto my booking too but if Azamara forces us to pay 120 days out it might be a deal breaker for me.  I have a uniworld river cruise just before and payable about the same time so I have to spend some time investigating where our insurance now stands. I'm growning less confident by the day that major business will be able to withstand the financial hits being dealt. I know they're busy dealing with immediate issues but I think they need to start working out if people are not prepared to continue later booking or not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

A cruise is a want, not a need.  I would cancel any cruise with a policy of 120 days prior for final payment.  Later, if the cruise sails on the date you had booked, you can book again closer to the relevant date, when the corona virus is under control.

(I had booked accommodation and flights to Melbourne for the Melbourne Garden Show next week.  In Australia, everything is now cancelled from garden shows, sport, theatres, museums, art galleries, etc.  As a result, cancellation policies are being relaxed.  Now is the time for empathy.  I received a full cash refund for a non changeable, non refundable, non transferable, accommodation booking through a travel wholesaler, as well as vouchers from two airlines, which I can use to make new bookings.  Previous to the corona virus, I would have lost all my money on these cancelled bookings!)  

BTW Our PM has just announced a travel ban on all non citizens/non residents coming to Australia from 9 pm tomorrow.  In addition, our government advice is at the highest level "Do Not Travel".

Edited by MMDown Under

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our final payment is in May for an October cruise. At this point, we will not be paying it, however if they shortened final payment dates we would hang on to it. I find it interesting that some groups have been great about cancellation and others not. For instance both Marriott and Hilton emailed me with new cancellation policies. Accor - not a word. It definitely makes a difference how you feel about these companies! Come on Azamara, give us some hope!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're past final payment for a July 6 British Isles on Pursuit. We're not optimistic that this cruise will happen and hope Azamara makes a decision sooner, rather than later and, if the cruise is cancelled, offer the option of a full refund in addition to an FCC. For us an FCC isn't enticing as this cruise was originally a cancelled CUBA cruise, we were price protected and able to get a top suite for a reasonable price. To rebook something similar would now be double what we paid. I know the situation is fluid and changing every day and hope all is well in a couple of months. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, QueenP said:

I find it interesting that some groups have been great about cancellation and others not. For instance both Marriott and Hilton emailed me with new cancellation policies. Accor - not a word. It definitely makes a difference how you feel about these companies! Come on Azamara, give us some hope!

 

Sydney Airport Novotel (Accor) gave us three months to use our pre and post hotel reservations. At this stage it looks they will be lost.

Crowne Plaza in Dubai, cancelled, no loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, suzyluvs2cruise said:

We're past final payment for a July 6 British Isles on Pursuit. We're not optimistic that this cruise will happen and hope Azamara makes a decision sooner, rather than later and, if the cruise is cancelled, offer the option of a full refund in addition to an FCC. For us an FCC isn't enticing as this cruise was originally a cancelled CUBA cruise, we were price protected and able to get a top suite for a reasonable price. To rebook something similar would now be double what we paid. I know the situation is fluid and changing every day and hope all is well in a couple of months. 

 

 

I read your post as hoping for full refund plus FCC, but I may have mis-interpreted your words.

Latest cancellations by Azamara offered either full refund or 125% FCC, unlike the first which offered full refund plus 25% FCC. We have one of each.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Baynanno1 said:

 

I read your post as hoping for full refund plus FCC, but I may have mis-interpreted your words.

Latest cancellations by Azamara offered either full refund or 125% FCC, unlike the first which offered full refund plus 25% FCC. We have one of each.

 

Sorry I wasn't clear.  I would want full refund, not an FCC. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...