Should I cancel May 21 Alaska

bobrxlex

I am in the 50% penalty for a few more days.  If I cancel now will Celebrity give me a 50% refund and 50% FCC. Or should I wait until Celebrity cancels the cruise due to not being able to dock in Vancouver. My cruise is 8 days Vancouver to Seattle.

Celebrity will do it for you.  Canada is not allowing ships to dock at this point till July 1 earliest.  Celebrity will have to cancel as there is no foreign port available for the Alaska cruises to dock at.

• Like 1

YOU shouldn’t be tempted doing anything. If the cruise will not happen due to any kind of reason THEY will cancel. And it’s always better if they cancel...

Edited by Miaminice

2 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

With the cruise have to be extended by any days to have a stop in Mexico?

Well, yes. If you’re going on an Alaskan cruise heading north going south to Mexico is just a bit out of the way. If you’re going to Mexico you won’t be going to Alaska unless your trip is a week longer and it leaves from a California port instead. 

• Like 1

We are on this cruise as well and we are taking a wait and see approach. If Canada keeps its July 1 dictate in place, Celebrity will likely cancel for us. At this point I don't think there is anything to be gained by canceling ourselves.

17 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

With the cruise have to be extended by any days to have a stop in Mexico?

Yes,  it would likely be extended by many days.  Alaska is north of the US and to the Northeast of Canada.  Mexico is south of the US.  Mexico is not on the way to Alaska and would require significant backtracking to make a Mexico-Alaska cruise viable. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, rimmit said:

Yes,  it would likely be extended by many days.  Alaska is north of the US and to the Northeast of Canada.  Mexico is south of the US.  Mexico is not on the way to Alaska and would require significant backtracking to make a Mexico-Alaska cruise viable. 

They can always rearrange all the schedule and port of calls if they have to make money. i.e. LA/San Diego to Mexico to Alaska and make it a 10-14 day cruise.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, GateGuardian said:

They can always rearrange all the schedule and port of calls if they have to make money. i.e. LA/San Diego to Mexico to Alaska and make it a 10-14 day cruise.

That is definitely a possibility.   The poster was primarily asking if it would extend the cruise.  The answer to that is yes.  Ultimately the Alaska season till July 1 is cancelled in its current state and they would need to do one way 10-14 night cruises to abide by US laws.

1 minute ago, GateGuardian said:

Yup, possible. The reality is where to you cruise? LA and San Diego open. Ensenada open. SFO limited berths. Santa Barbara, Monterrey, Astoria, Victoria, Vancouver and Seattle closed. Does 6 days to Ketchikan and one more Alaska port sound viable? Hardly.

They have 30 days as of now to figure it out.   Virus is now everywhere.    A  plan might be made,  but this will need to slow down dramatically for them to reopen any ports etc.   We waited until 2 days before to cancel on todays Silhouette sailing.  We cancelled the nt before the actual RCCL  shutdown.  Still waiting for the actual cancellation paperwork, as they are extremely backed up.  

We had a May cruise and took the 50 / 50 deal.   At the very least 50% of our $ is back in our pockets and not held up in Celebrity’s bank account.   Yes, could have waited for the 125% FCC deal, but no thanks!   I would rather some cash back than no cash back.

I called and talked to Celebrity a couple of days ago about our 22 May Alaska Cruise from Vancouver and they said that if we cancel now that we would only receive a 50% refund and loose the remaining 50%.    Based on my conversation with Celebrity I have four options if the cruise is not cancelled.  One, take the cruise.  Two, cancel and take the 50% refund and loose the remaining 50% (possibly file with travel insurance if you have the cancel for any reason coverage).  Third, if Celebrity cancels we could take the 125% FCC or ask for a full refund.  Fourth, book another sailing and apply the funds (if cost is more you pay if less you get a FCC for the remaining - no refund)

Make sure you fully understand the policy as of today before taking the 50%.

We are also on the May 21st cruise, and am 100% confident that it will be canceled, due to the Canadian port closures. Further, any attempt at a revised itinerary would be met with severe pushback... Alaska is Alaska, not the West Coast or Mexico!  I plan to wait this out, and take the money & run.  No FCC for me.

• Like 2

My cruise is June 12. I know many of you want to go on this cruise but I'm hoping the ports don't open early. I want my money back because of the stress. We will lose money on our flights and the money we paid for our travel insurance.

The travel insurance should pay out on our non-refundable hotel but we used some credit card points to pay for the hotel so we're going to lose out on the full cost.

There's a chance my work could make me self quarantine after this Cruise. 

27 minutes ago, cruisingnewtoit said:

My cruise is June 12. I know many of you want to go on this cruise but I'm hoping the ports don't open early. I want my money back because of the stress. We will lose money on our flights and the money we paid for our travel insurance.

The travel insurance should pay out on our non-refundable hotel but we used some credit card points to pay for the hotel so we're going to lose out on the full cost.

There's a chance my work could make me self quarantine after this Cruise. 

Usually when using Chase UR points for example I get a receipt that shows a monetary value and then the amount of the points so you should be able to claim that back from insurance if your policy covers it.

Many "non-ref" flights and hotels have a waiver and the carrier will refund you anyway. Did you book a chain hotel?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Fly and Sail said:

Usually when using Chase UR points for example I get a receipt that shows a monetary value and then the amount of the points so you should be able to claim that back from insurance if your policy covers it.

Many "non-ref" flights and hotels have a waiver and the carrier will refund you anyway. Did you book a chain hotel?

Thank you for the helpful info. It was a Chase Sapphire  card that was used for to purchase the hotel & a flight.