Currently on Coral Princess ....

YWW

March 19, 2020 9:00PM PT

Coral Princess Update

Princess Cruises confirms that Coral Princess was required to abruptly depart the port of Buenos Aires late on March 19, before all guests were disembarked. Argentine President, Alberto Fernandez, issued a decree at 8:00 pm local time that began at midnight. The decree would require the ship to remain in port for an indeterminate number of days, and no guests would have been permitted to disembark during that time. Therefore, the decision was made to leave port immediately.

Coral Princess is now sailing to Montevideo, Uruguay, where it will take delivery of supplies and fuel on March 20. We have been, and will continue to, seek permission to complete guest disembarkation there. Princess Cruises port operations is exploring all avenues, including diplomatic channels. Also, we are working with our shoreside teams on several options to disembark should there be any issues with Montevideo.

Internet and guest stateroom telephone service remain complimentary so that guests can stay in touch with family. Updates will be made available as we obtain more information.

This is an unprecedented situation and we thank our guests for their continued patience and understanding. The safety, health and well-being of everyone on board remains our highest priority.

https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/coral-princess-updates.html

20 minutes ago, ikinneas said:

March 19, 2020 9:00PM PT

Coral Princess Update

Oh my! That’s unexpected.
I would think the worst case is they resupply your ship and then set out for Fort Lauderdale and sort out how to get everyone back to their home area from there. But that’s only a guess. Hoping for the best for you all. 

4 hours ago, ClwtrBoi said:

This just hasn't been updated. 

As I said, I had some additional information that supported the return to Florida.

Of course no one knows what will happen.

But, in three weeks or so, we will know.

I am on the ship with a large group of British nationals, said to be c300 strong.

Princess will have to manage repatriation issues about non US nationals, i.e. entry/exit at USA is not an option due to border closures, so the UK (and other nationalities) need careful handling to avoid problems en-route home.

Currently alongside at Montevideo. Captain said anyone who has flights and want to go can do so tomorrow.

The ship is looking after us very well, and for anyone with no immediate need to travel, we’d rather stay here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pb_uk said:

I am on the ship with a large group of British nationals, said to be c300 strong.

Princess will have to manage repatriation issues about non US nationals, i.e. entry/exit at USA is not an option due to border closures, so the UK (and other nationalities) need careful handling to avoid problems en-route home.

Currently alongside at Montevideo. Captain said anyone who has flights and want to go can do so tomorrow.

The ship is looking after us very well, and for anyone with no immediate need to travel, we’d rather stay here.

WELCOME TO CRUISE CRITIC !!!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

As I said, I had some additional information that supported the return to Florida.

But that was the original plan was it not?  🤔

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

I hope everyone gets home safely. I assume he problem with this plan is being able to stop for refueling and provisioning. We don't know which places you'll be able to dock at tomorrow, much less in a few weeks. Good luck! 

I said this before. Port Everglades is CLOSED except for trade and gas ships/tankkers as of today. Broward County (Port Everglades) has the second highest numbers of the virus in Florida. I personally do not think this ship would be permitted to dock at our port

From the port website

Port Everglades is open and operational. We are focused on keeping the Port functioning efficiently so fuel and cargo continue to be delivered as quickly as possible into the marketplace.

A Unified Command has been established to assure that our federal, state and local partners are working in concert to ensure the safety of Broward County. Cruise ships coming into the Port require concurrent approvals from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, the Florida Health Department in Broward County, U.S. Coast Guard, and U.S. Customs & Border Protection, Broward Sheriff’s Office and Broward County’s Port Everglades Department. Prior to voluntarily suspending their schedules, the cruise lines also screened boarding passengers and the ship’s crew members as a precaution, and cruise terminals received extra cleaning and disinfecting.

During the coming weeks, you may notice cruise ships anchored offshore, or coming into the Port for short stops to pick up fuel and supplies. At this time, there is no shore leave for cruise ship crew members.

Kathy

Edited by rabin1

I have been following this thread with my jaw on the floor.  I feel bad for everyone onboard.  Could they not dock at Port Canaveral or any of the other eastern port?  What about the port in Houston even?  It’s hard to wrap my head around how fast the changes are happening.

We returned from Hawaii on March 8.  It feels like a very different world in only 10 days.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

Could they not dock at Port Canaveral or any of the other eastern port?  What about the port in Houston even?  It’s hard to wrap my head around how fast the changes are happening.

We returned from Hawaii on March 8.  It feels like a very different world in only 10 days.

It has been reported on here and in the news that most if not all US ports are closed to cruise ships.  They do not appear to be making many exceptions so far.  

The world in general and cruising in particular is now a very different world.  I doubt it will ever return to the way it was.  Our world has changed for better or worse going forward.  

4 minutes ago, satxdiver said:

It has been reported on here and in the news that most if not all US ports are closed to cruise ships.  They do not appear to be making many exceptions so far.  

They will not leave anyone stranded. Exceptions will be made. Everyone will eventually get off of the ship and return home.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, rabin1 said:

I said this before. Port Everglades is CLOSED except for trade and gas ships/tankkers as of today. Broward County (Port Everglades) has the second highest numbers of the virus in Florida. I personally do not think this ship would be permitted to dock at our port

From the port website

Port Everglades is open and operational. We are focused on keeping the Port functioning efficiently so fuel and cargo continue to be delivered as quickly as possible into the marketplace.

A Unified Command has been established to assure that our federal, state and local partners are working in concert to ensure the safety of Broward County. Cruise ships coming into the Port require concurrent approvals from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control, the Florida Health Department in Broward County, U.S. Coast Guard, and U.S. Customs & Border Protection, Broward Sheriff’s Office and Broward County’s Port Everglades Department. Prior to voluntarily suspending their schedules, the cruise lines also screened boarding passengers and the ship’s crew members as a precaution, and cruise terminals received extra cleaning and disinfecting.

During the coming weeks, you may notice cruise ships anchored offshore, or coming into the Port for short stops to pick up fuel and supplies. At this time, there is no shore leave for cruise ship crew members.

Kathy

Closed, but with exceptions allowed if permissions can be given.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, satxdiver said:

A few days ago Grand Princess docked, and all passengers disembarked.

Edited by Roberto256

Yesterday we received a questionnaire from the ship's doctor to list our medications and how many days supply we have remaining.  Also, the Captain said that anyone making independent flight arrangements could leave the ship today but would not be allowed to rebound.  We we went to the service desk to ask for additional details they announced that this was an option but not recommended due to experiences with flight cancellations.  They said that Princess EZair would not be making any reservations which is comforting.  It would be a disaster to fly some foreign country and be stranded.  This morning there we new cruise cards valid for 3/20 thru 4/11 slipped under the cabin door.  In light of these events I am hopeful that the decision will be made to sail to Fort Lauderdale. 

The Captain also said we would stay in Montevideo for today or at least part of the day.  I hear a lot of complaining about how Princess is handling the situation but from my perspective they have done everything that can to assist us under constantly changes and restrictions.  I also hear passengers that feel as I do and understand that Princess is taking the appropriate precautions in light of the circumstances.  

I feel safe on board but an anxious to get hame and enter self quarantine.  

Richard

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Wichard said:

Yesterday we received a questionnaire from the ship's doctor to list our medications and how many days supply we have remaining.  Also, the Captain said that anyone making independent flight arrangements could leave the ship today but would not be allowed to rebound.  We we went to the service desk to ask for additional details they announced that this was an option but not recommended due to experiences with flight cancellations.  They said that Princess EZair would not be making any reservations which is comforting.  It would be a disaster to fly some foreign country and be stranded.  This morning there we new cruise cards valid for 3/20 thru 4/11 slipped under the cabin door.  In light of these events I am hopeful that the decision will be made to sail to Fort Lauderdale. 

The Captain also said we would stay in Montevideo for today or at least part of the day.  I hear a lot of complaining about how Princess is handling the situation but from my perspective they have done everything that can to assist us under constantly changes and restrictions.  I also hear passengers that feel as I do and understand that Princess is taking the appropriate precautions in light of the circumstances.  

I feel safe on board but an anxious to get hame and enter self quarantine.  

Richard

I agree Richard, Princess are doing a great job in extreme circumstances, and looking after us well. To add to your note, the letter from the ship’s doctor finished by saying we were possibly in the safest place in the world. I’m happy to stay on board! But then I have no pressing need to get home to UK.

Paul

• Like 3

It’s appearing more and more Princess may have to run to FLL as the only option for getting people home.  My guess is they really don’t want to do this since the ship will next be needed on the west coast.  I figure they were planning on running without passengers around Cape Horn and up to California to avoid the Panama Canal passage fees with an empty ship.

We where on The Coral and departed the ship on the 19th at 4 pm when a general announcement was made that if you had confirmed flights from Buenos Aries to leave ship you could disembark. We were transported by bus to the airport and our flight to Santiago left around 8 pm. Our connection flight left Santiago around midnight and we landed in Miami at 7 AM. I had reserved a rent a car, we drove home to Clearwater.

The staff onboard was outstanding. The people at guest relations where in an almost impossible situation as they did not have all the answers that the passengers wanted, and at sometimes were demanding. 

We originally were booked for 32 days to end at Ft Lauderdale to go to Florida, but the second  leg of the cruise was cancelled. I was incorrectly told that since I only used Princess Air going to the ship, that I was an independent traveler and would have to make my own Flight arrangements. I emailed my travel agent this info and she went to work with princess and got us booked back to Florida.

To our new friends that we that we met on this cruise stay healthy, safe and maybe someday we well sail again.

One last comment, when my wife finds out that the ship is still sailing, I will hear, we should not have gone to the ---- airport.

Don & Sandi

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Wichard said:

This morning there we new cruise cards valid for 3/20 thru 4/11 slipped under the cabin door.  In light of these events I am hopeful that the decision will be made to sail to Fort Lauderdale. 

My guess is they just picked a date far in the future, it being easier to issue new cards to cover that period than try to program the onboard systems (and in particular the cabin door locks) to honor expired cards (the old cards would probably not work to open cabin doors after their listed end date). I doubt there’s anything firm about 4/11 but doing so keeps things working for passengers.

• Like 1

On 3/16/2020 at 3:15 AM, Reina del Mar said:

We should have been joining Coral on Thursday in Buenos Aires, but since cruise and flights have been cancelled obviously won't be. Following along with interest.

Glad to hear there will be no quarantine period for you.

We had booked flights independently as huge difference in price between that and Princess Air, and also have been to BA  and FLL previously,  and know our way about.

Now interested to know how others with independent flights are getting on, and whether internet is being made available for passengers to make alternative flight arrangements. 

We may have used up many/ most  of our ' free'  minutes by this time in the cruise ,had we been on the Santiago to BA leg.

Please keep us updated.

Wishing you well, enjoy the remainder of the cruise and safe journeys home.

Yes they have provided free internet since the 17th I believe.  I have spoken to several people that made independent flight arrangements and they have been very frustrated due to Argentina changing requirements and airline cancellations.  In Buenos Aires Princess offered to make flight arrangements for all passengers which says something to me about customer support.  

I've been following this thread from the beginning.  This is a nightmare! Thanks for keeping us informed. If they decide to go to FLL they will somehow get you off or at least you'll be in a US port. You're probably going to be symtom free so that won't be an issue but you'll be departing into a mess. Be safe and we're  looking forward to hearing you all get back home safely. 

Edited by onboard2005