Will it be extended for 2 months?

Isn't this a little upside down?  Seniors may be slightly more at risk to die from the virus, but they are not more likely to be infected than anyone else.

2,500 people visit a grocery store all the time.  Are the can goods cleaned every hour.  The fruit, veggies, and the frozen food doors?

16 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Isn't this a little upside down?  Seniors may be slightly more at risk to die from the virus, but they are not more likely to be infected than anyone else.

2,500 people visit a grocery store all the time.  Are the can goods cleaned every hour.  The fruit, veggies, and the frozen food doors?

My brother came out of retirement to help a grocery store stay open during the crisis.

He has tested positive and is in ICU on a ventilator.  His prognosis is not good.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, steveru621 said:

Seniors may be slightly more at risk to die from the virus, but they are not more likely to be infected than anyone else.

The majority of people who have died from the virus have been older people and those with compromised immune systems.  Over 80% of the deaths in the US have been amoungst people who are 65 and older.  I don't consider that to be "slightly more at risk".

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm

I've never seen 2500 people in a grocery store at once.  As far as not cleaning the surfaces in the store every hour, that is why it's important to wash your hands and not be touching your face.  As for the fruit and veggies, I would hope most people are washing those before eating them.

Edited by lovemylab

10 minutes ago, lovemylab said:

The majority of people who have died from the virus have been older people and those with compromised immune systems.  Over 80% of the deaths in the US have been amoungst people who are 65 and older.  I don't consider that to be "slightly more at risk".

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/69/wr/mm6912e2.htm

While death is skewed toward the elderly, 40% of hospitalizations for the virus are in the age-group 20 to 54. That is stated in that same report. 

The elderly are more likely to have a serious preexisting condition and thus the much higher death rate. 

For younger people with preexisting conditions, the death rate in Spain and France at least has been quite high. In France they have even found that smokers and those that vape have a 3 times greater chance of death from the virus.  

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

My brother came out of retirement to help a grocery store stay open during the crisis.

He has tested positive and is in ICU on a ventilator.  His prognosis is not good.

My brother probably got it from a younger person that passed it to him while he was working.

He just died at the age of 67.   He is the 56th person to die in Washington State.

56 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

My brother probably got it from a younger person that passed it to him while he was working.

He just died at the age of 67.   He is the 56th person to die in Washington State.

So very sad...condolences to all of you.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Blizzard54 said:

So sorry to hear this.

• Like 1

I am so very sorry to hear about your brother, please accept my condolences.

Sorry for your loss.

This is so sad reading this. I'm so sorry for the loss of your brother.

So sad to hear of your brother’s passing.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

53 minutes ago, Ashland said:

So very sad...condolences to all of you.

43 minutes ago, Judyrem said:

I am so very sorry to hear about your brother, please accept my condolences.

sorry to hear this sad news....thoughts and prayers to you

Brenda

5 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

So sorry to hear about your loss

Condolences to you my friend. Guys, please take care of yourself and avoid crowded places and try to work from home. Especially if you are 60 or over. I still wonder why people (especially in the US) continue to work at this age. I mean, the government has taken care of you, just relax and enjoy your life. You'll have time to travel, value your time here and now

3 hours ago, Roger88 said:

Condolences to you my friend. Guys, please take care of yourself and avoid crowded places and try to work from home. Especially if you are 60 or over. I still wonder why people (especially in the US) continue to work at this age. I mean, the government has taken care of you, just relax and enjoy your life. You'll have time to travel, value your time here and now

My brother had a grocery store employing about 60.  He had pretty much turned it over to our nephew but was still a little involved. When this got going people started stocking up.  He was spending more time at the store helping with the surge.

In the US Medicare does not start until 65.  For most retirement is not a option before that.  And sadly for quite a few, Social Security is not enough either.  

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Blizzard54 said:

My brother had a grocery store employing about 60.  He had pretty much turned it over to our nephew but was still a little involved. When this got going people started stocking up.  He was spending more time at the store helping with the surge.

In the US Medicare does not start until 65.  For most retirement is not a option before that.  And sadly for quite a few, Social Security is not enough either.  

Condolences on your loss. 

8 hours ago, Roger88 said:

While you can start collecting social security at 62 to receive the maximum monthly amount you have to wait until 70.  With the stock market being what it is today I am sure some who were planing on retirement this year will be putting it off until a later date. I don't know anyone who can live on just social security alone. Trust me the government hasn't done a damn thing to take care of seniors. That is money that was taxed and taken from their salary from the first job they ever worked and it's taxed again once you start receiving it.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Blizzard54 said:

My condolences to you and your family.  Truly awful.