Cruise Ship Locations - During the cruise ship ban of 2020/2021/2022

Yes Amsterdam is heading to Singapore for bunkering.  They have to have 14 days at sea prior to arriving so as to berth.  Had they gone to Batam first they would then have to be at sea another 14 days.

Capt Jonathan today posted the following from his diary.

13th April. Well, at least it isn't a Friday.  Reading that Batam may be shutting down and closing for 3 months.  This is becoming impossible and frustrating. 

16th April.  All change, heading for Singapore now, there for the 24th and after that??  Not sure, most of our crew come from Manila, Jakarta, Semarang and Bali, maybe I'll be doing a 'drop off' at each one?  Who knows, time will tell.

I was surprised to see Artania still tied up to the wharf in Fremantle.  Two crew members and one passenger from the ship have died from the virus. 

79 passengers and crew tested positive.

Ship is due to leave at 1 pm Saturday local time. Aust Border Force directive. 

The Leader.com.au

WA Premier will be pleased. 

19 hours ago, Ondine said:

Yes Amsterdam is heading to Singapore for bunkering.  They have to have 14 days at sea prior to arriving so as to berth.  Had they gone to Batam first they would then have to be at sea another 14 days.

Capt Jonathan today posted the following from his diary.

13th April. Well, at least it isn't a Friday.  Reading that Batam may be shutting down and closing for 3 months.  This is becoming impossible and frustrating. 

16th April.  All change, heading for Singapore now, there for the 24th and after that??  Not sure, most of our crew come from Manila, Jakarta, Semarang and Bali, maybe I'll be doing a 'drop off' at each one?  Who knows, time will tell.

The predicament Captain Jonathan finds himself in is so impossible and frustrating, you'd have to laugh, or you'd cry!  If the luggage could talk, it would have a story to tell!

I can see a cartoon in the making!!

Viking Orion is now somewhere off Port Hedland. 

Golden Princess and Pacific Aria are  north of Christmas Island heading for Singapore.

Other ships we kicked out are in the vicinity of Indonesia and Singapore etc no doubt trying to offload their crew and find a safe haven to ride out the storm that is COVID-19.  Some are trying to exchange crew while at sea to facilitate getting them home.

I am sure some would like to stay in the Southern Hemisphere because once they go home to the States or Europe then it takes a month or two to come back down under to commence operating again.  Ships don't travel very fast.

It is a pity that some State Premiers chose to do grandstanding rather than take the time to come to a sensible arrangement with shipping companies to let their ships stay if they are disease free and just require a safe haven and somewhere to get fuel and provisions.  Unfortunately the Ruby started a hysteria and logic went out of the window.

• Like 1

On 4/16/2020 at 9:00 AM, Pushka said:

We are the same. Our beach shack doesn't even have a local shop and we bring everything. We didn't go there Easter in respect to the concerns but we have to go this weekend as there are repairs we must do before winter rains set in. 

As far as social distancing goes, we live on the esplanade at the beach and we were completely inundated by Adelaidians coming to the beach, for the four days as weather was good. So much for social distancing. Would have been better off going to the shack and not seen a soul. 

I always shop at Drakes/Foodland in SA. They supply all the stock that Coles and Woolies no longer do and who have replaced it with their generic stuff. But they are a little more expensive. We have worked with Roger Drake, this guys father. He is as ethical as is possible to be but is also very pragmatic. 

I like the range of stock at Drakes/IGA in Qld. also.  I like the way they will try to get stock which they don't normally stock for you.  They got Dilmah Earl Grey Tea for me.   (This was pre virus of course.)  We enjoyed a sample bag of SA food at the Adelaide Show, which made us realise what we had lost with generic brands. I'll always pay extra for quality. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Viking Orion is now somewhere off Port Hedland. 

Golden Princess and Pacific Aria are  north of Christmas Island heading for Singapore.

Other ships we kicked out are in the vicinity of Indonesia and Singapore etc no doubt trying to offload their crew and find a safe haven to ride out the storm that is COVID-19.  Some are trying to exchange crew while at sea to facilitate getting them home.

I am sure some would like to stay in the Southern Hemisphere because once they go home to the States or Europe then it takes a month or two to come back down under to commence operating again.  Ships don't travel very fast.

It is a pity that some State Premiers chose to do grandstanding rather than take the time to come to a sensible arrangement with shipping companies to let their ships stay if they are disease free and just require a safe haven and somewhere to get fuel and provisions.  Unfortunately the Ruby started a hysteria and logic went out of the window.

Countries other than Australia banned cruise ships from their waters for logical reasons.  Australia has paid a high price for letting cruise ships berth in Australian waters after the cruise ship ban.  You only have to look at the statistics.  The last ship to leave WA waters has had three people die with the virus - 1 passenger and 2 crew.  The WA Premier was over ruled with regard to having the ship berth so passed responsibility to the Federal Government.  

I don't get why Australia is seen as the bad guy when all around the world, ships have been banned. US ports banned several ships even when their company is headquartered in the US. The cruiselines chose their business structures to avoid tax and salary payments, pay no tax to Australia except GST, and yet expect Australia to shelter them. Sadly the crew is sandwiched but that is the cruiselines fault. Australia has provided extensive medical services to sick crew. They will continue to do that until Ruby is fit to sail. Sapphire only came to Australia because Princess wanted to capture the Australian market once Asian failed. Have people even been refunded yet? I heard another death from a Celebrity passenger in Australia today. 

Edited by Pushka
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

I like the range of stock at Drakes/IGA in Qld. also.  I like the way they will try to get stock which they don't normally stock for you.  They got Dilmah Earl Grey Tea for me.   (This was pre virus of course.)  We enjoyed a sample bag of SA food at the Adelaide Show, which made us realise what we had lost with generic brands. I'll always pay extra for quality. 

After my local supermarkets stopped selling the type of Dilmah Tea that I like, Ceylon Supreme, I started buying it direct from Dilmah online.

I agree, I'd rather pay a bit more for quality and, although I like to support Australian producers, if the quality isn't there I'll buy imported - tinned tomatoes are a good example of that, Australian ones are far more acidic than the Italian ones I like. 

10 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

I was surprised to see Artania still tied up to the wharf in Fremantle.  Two crew members and one passenger from the ship have died from the virus. 

79 passengers and crew tested positive.

Ship is due to leave at 1 pm Saturday local time. Aust Border Force directive. 

The Leader.com.au

WA Premier will be pleased. 

Artania left just after 1.00pm today, stacks of people in cars (and out of them) down at South Mole to see it off. 

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/artania-cruise-ship-leaves-fremantle-after-fatal-covid-19-outbreak-amid-three-more-wa-coronavirus-cases/ar-BB12OKUJ

Edited by dizzy1948
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Pushka said:

I don't get why Australia is seen as the bad guy when all around the world, ships have been banned. US ports banned several ships even when their company is headquartered in the US. The cruiselines chose their business structures to avoid tax and salary payments, pay no tax to Australia except GST, and yet expect Australia to shelter them. Sadly the crew is sandwiched but that is the cruiselines fault. Australia has provided extensive medical services to sick crew. They will continue to do that until Ruby is fit to sail. Sapphire only came to Australia because Princess wanted to capture the Australian market once Asian failed. Have people even been refunded yet? I heard another death from a Celebrity passenger in Australia today. 

Ships have not been generally banned, we and NZ were the first. The US were still accepting them until recently, and still are generally; they're just not officially 'open.'

As for the business structure that's a separate issue - and if it was really about that it should have been brought up earlier. Instead this is the first time anyone has said anything about that.

Sapphire came to Australia for health reasons as it was no longer advisable to operate there given the issue. Ships have always moved where the business is, just the same as any other mobile forms of transport. 

9 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

After my local supermarkets stopped selling the type of Dilmah Tea that I like, Ceylon Supreme, I started buying it direct from Dilmah online.

I agree, I'd rather pay a bit more for quality and, although I like to support Australian producers, if the quality isn't there I'll buy imported - tinned tomatoes are a good example of that, Australian ones are far more acidic than the Italian ones I like. 

I used to buy direct from Dilmah Tea also. It is the best tea available here because it is unblended.  Also some good Chinese tea available from Chinese shops. 

6 hours ago, dizzy1948 said:

Artania left just after 1.00pm today, stacks of people in cars (and out of them) down at South Mole to see it off. 

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/artania-cruise-ship-leaves-fremantle-after-fatal-covid-19-outbreak-amid-three-more-wa-coronavirus-cases/ar-BB12OKUJ

Yes I saw the farewell on the TV News.

44 minutes ago, The_Big_M said:

Ships have not been generally banned, we and NZ were the first. The US were still accepting them until recently, and still are generally; they're just not officially 'open.'

As for the business structure that's a separate issue - and if it was really about that it should have been brought up earlier. Instead this is the first time anyone has said anything about that.

Sapphire came to Australia for health reasons as it was no longer advisable to operate there given the issue. Ships have always moved where the business is, just the same as any other mobile forms of transport. 

Just because the cruise lines business structure hasn't been mentioned recently doesn't mean it is not resented.  I wonder whether the cruise lines reimburse the Australian tax payer for all the recent medical costs which have been incurred. 

6 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

Just because the cruise lines business structure hasn't been mentioned recently doesn't mean it is not resented.  I wonder whether the cruise lines reimburse the Australian tax payer for all the recent medical costs which have been incurred. 

Why would they, I cannot see the people who brought the disease onto the ship reimbursing the cruise line? Or the airlines reimbursing the people who brought the people to the ship?, Or China reimbursing the world for infecting the people to start with?

Here is a bit of a update with what ships are still in AIS range:

West Australia will be happy that Artania have left!

artania19042020.jpg

Viking Orion is currently off Port Hedland:

vikingorion19042020.jpg

Sun Princess, Sea Princess, Pacific Explorer and Queen Elizabeth are currently off Manila, Philippines:

sunprincess19042020.jpg

seaprincess19042020.jpg

pacificexplorer19042020.jpg

queenelizabeth19042020.jpg

Spectrum of the Seas - after dropping some crew off in Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia, she is now on her way to Manila, Philippines:

spectrumoftheseas19042020.jpg

Ovation of the Seas is currently anchored off Benoa, Bali

ovationoftheseas19042020.jpg

Celebrity Solstice is currently anchored off Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia

celebritysolstice19042020.jpg