Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Her full name is Emma Le Teace. I don't think she is a cruise agent, she has said on several of her videos she works in insurance. I think that her website and you-tube channel are a second source of income and she does a very good job of them. She is trying to appeal to a younger demographic but she seems genuinely happy to help all are groups with helpful tips and honest reviews.

Thank you Lyle and Christodan, she is an astute businesswoman anyway,  She would be a good CEO of Carnival or Royal Caribbean in a few years, she has the knowledge.  I have seen a couple of her docos now, very impressed.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

'Travel agent refuses to sell cruises that may not sail'

https://cruisepassenger.com.au/travel-agent-refuses-to-sell-cruises-that-may-not-sail/

Two interesting quotes:

"According to a recent report by USA Today, many cruisers have yet to recoup refunds from cancelled cruises as a result of the CDC’s no-sail order and cruise cancellations. As a result, the US government is about to change the regulations governing refund policies.

While many are trying to smooth refund systems as they try and cope with the huge numbers of cancellations forced on them by the pandemic, it’s hard to see how selling more tickets for journeys that may never leave port helps boost the confidence of cruisers that the industry is putting their interests first".

And if you want to have your say how the cruises post covid should look, your opportunity is here - until 21 Sept:

"Meanwhile, in what is being hailed as a significant move, the CDC has requested anyone, including passengers, make submissions about how cruise lines can make provision for coping with coronavirus.  All relevant comments will be posted without change to www.regulations.gov.

The CDC has posed 28 questions covering all aspects of operations and policies, including cruise lengths, how many can occupy staterooms and should crew sleep in single cabins.     Written comments will be accepted until Sept. 21."

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

Thank you Lyle and Christodan, she is an astute businesswoman anyway,  She would be a good CEO of Carnival or Royal Caribbean in a few years, she has the knowledge.  I have seen a couple of her docos now, very impressed.

If you are interested in reading more about Emma, here is a link to her webpage.

This is not good news for those of us hoping to cruise sometime soon. Hurtigruten’s Roald Amundsen ship resumed cruising in Norway with reduced passengers, but now 33 crew have just tested positive.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/covid-outbreak-hits-cruise-ship-more-than-crew-infected-on-roald-amundsen-20200802-p55hps.html#comments

The article also says that 10 crew who boarded two Aida ships in Germany in preparation for cruises restarting also tested positive.

1 hour ago, Relaxing Robbies said:

This is not good news for those of us hoping to cruise sometime soon. Hurtigruten’s Roald Amundsen ship resumed cruising in Norway with reduced passengers, but now 33 crew have just tested positive.

https://www.theage.com.au/world/europe/covid-outbreak-hits-cruise-ship-more-than-crew-infected-on-roald-amundsen-20200802-p55hps.html#comments

The article also says that 10 crew who boarded two Aida ships in Germany in preparation for cruises restarting also tested positive.

The rest of the world's cruiselines will be shattered at that news.  How many pax became infected via the crew? Big disaster.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

If you are interested in reading more about Emma, here is a link to her webpage.

She might be smarter than me, but I beat her on cruise numbers, she reports having done 21, I have 25, excluding Sydney Harbour Ferries.1009166819_th(4).jpg.c897211b6c3fdbd1f88c14141bbe7c75.jpgSorry darling.

Edited by NSWP

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

She might be smarter than me, but I beat her on cruise numbers, she reports having done 21, I have 25, excluding Sydney Harbour Ferries.1009166819_th(4).jpg.c897211b6c3fdbd1f88c14141bbe7c75.jpgSorry darling.

She has reached 21 cruises at 25 years old.

Edited by By The Bay
  • Like 2

She has reached 21 cruises at 25 years old.

But I did not real start cruising until 2004  !! Apart from a troopship 'Nevasa' from Southampton to HK and back in 56-58, with my Soldier father and family,  A migrant ship, Sitmar - Castel Felice, Southampton - Sydney in 1966 and P&O 'Iberia' in 1970, where I met my wife. Next ship was 2004, Star Princess and so the story began.

Emma has cruised full on to get 21 up. 

This could delay the return of cruising until a vaccine is developed. Too early to return to cruising whilst the virus is in the community.

COVID-19 case on Paul Gauguin in French Polynesia

The 332-passenger ship, which was sailing between Bora Bora and the Rangiroa Islands, immediately turned around to head back to its homeport, Papeete, Tahiti.

Source.

1 minute ago, By The Bay said:

This could delay the return of cruising until a vaccine is developed. Too early to return to cruising whilst the virus is in the community.

The 332-passenger ship, which was sailing between Bora Bora and the Rangiroa Islands, immediately turned around to head back to its homeport, Papeete, Tahiti.

Source.

Thanks, but bad news.

This follows soon after another outbreak. These outbreaks will influence Governments around the world before allowing cruise ships to visit their ports.

At least 36 Hurtigruten crew and one passenger have COVID-19

Thirty-six crew members on Hurtigruten's Roald Amundsen have coronavirus and Norwegian authorities ordered passengers from the last two cruises to self-quarantine. Source

Source.

Tahiti had only just opened up...perhaps too early?

1 minute ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

Tahiti had only just opened up...perhaps too early?

Agree it was definitely too early for international visitors.

Some US States are now experiencing a second wave due to opening up too early.  We can learn so much from their mistakes. 

12 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Were the flights into Tahiti from the country with the largest number of COVID-19 cases?

Flights from France to Tahiti pass through LAX. Presumably US residents can join the flight there if they want to go to Tahiti. However France isn't Covid-free either.

There is no 14 day quarantine requirement on arrival in Tahiti, just a negative test within 72 hours of departure (I think) plus a self-test 😮 four days after arrival. Visitors get given a kit so they can do the swabs themselves so that test may not be very reliable.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

This is a sensible decision which other cruise-lines should follow. 😷

"CRYSTAL Cruises has pulled the pin on its entire 2020 ocean cruise season, saying the uncertainty surrounding
the COVID-19 health crisis “hinders the ability for all cruise lines to operate”."  Source: Cruise Weekly.

On 8/2/2020 at 7:17 AM, Chiliburn said:

I can’t believe agents are advertising cruises from October and on.

Thats only 2 months away. That’s just about fraud.

It's not fraud (or just about) it's business. The agents are just that, agents, it's the cruise lines that are offering cruises and they will continue to do so for cash flow. That's business. If the cruise does not eventuate they will offer a replacement in the form of a future cruise or FCC. It will become fraud, in the case of both TAs and cruise lines if they start offering services or products if they are technically insolvent (by meagre my understanding of Australian consumer law).

40 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

What you think it's ethical to advertise something that has no hope of happening in 2 months 

It's not just unethical, but against the law to sell something that you do not intend to, or are unable to, provide. 

While the cruise lines may be willing to operate, if they're not likely to offer what they are selling it is borderline fraud.

53 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

48 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They might be having a rethink now after two ships had Covid-19 cases in the last couple of days.

And as previously noted on this board,  this is the latest article :

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/aug/03/two-cruise-ships-hit-by-coronavirus-weeks-after-industry-restarts

So it is very 'courageous' decision indeed for any cruise to re-start now - whilst different health protocols being  developed by different cruise lines are still not finalised - and CDC and European health guidelines do not seem yet clear.  Potential PR implications of an outbreak on a LARGE ship are very serious.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

It's not just unethical, but against the law to sell something that you do not intend to, or are unable to, provide. 

While the cruise lines may be willing to operate, if they're not likely to offer what they are selling it is borderline fraud.

Nobody is twisting anyone’s arm to book I don’t think.

Common sense must come into play somewhere along the line.

Cheers Carole 

I wish our Federal Government would announce loud and clear that cruise ships can't visit Australia until a date in 2021, which they deem feasible.  Then all the TAs should stop advertising cruises prior to then.  Government has a responsibility to protect consumers from unethical behaviour.  

• Thanks 1