Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Yep ,that article is pretty realistic. Especially the comment that the virus is here to stay.

I recon it’s pretty good how our government was pretty casual about the roll out of a vaccine and no it’s panic stations .
Twice a week a National cabinet meeting.

This video portrays our governments handling of the comedy of errors.

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I think that this statement in an article in the SMH today is on the money. No open borders (except for 'bubbles') until after the next Federal election. Therefore, no cruising either.☹️🤬

I could see that blowing up in someone's face big time. I think that the current vaccine roll out will have a lot of people questioning how effective the Government is. In Canada our Government was pushing the envelope hoping for a non confidence vote and snap Federal election a few months back. There was a pretty good chance that the Trudeau government would have retained power and perhaps strengthened their mandate. Lately the government has clammed up because the vaccine roll out is not going well and Vaccine suppliers are not honouring the contracts they have entered into with Canada. We just heard today that we will only get half of our Moderna supply this month.

I would suggest that the sitting government be it yours in Canberra or ours in Ottawa will be trying to move heaven and earth to get the Vaccine done or I think many M.P.s (are they MPs there?) looking for work.

Edited by Blackduck59
clarified a sentence
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

I think that this statement in an article in the SMH today is on the money. No open borders (except for 'bubbles') until after the next Federal election. Therefore, no cruising either.☹️🤬

When is the election? Politics are not on my agenda.

To me it seems most countries did not anticipate a supply issue of vaccines 🙄. Add to that the hysteria over AstraZenaca further hampering supply. Israel managed to avoid the supply issue by paying above retail value for the Pfizer vaccine and giving Pfizer access to patient information. I was very disappointed to hear that our home grown vaccine apparently had promise but the government decided against giving more funding to instead purchase overseas vaccines 😬. We really don't value our own sciences enough then wonder why they all end up working overseas😒.

I think there was a problem with the Australian developed vaccine. Whatever it was based on (AIDS) caused false positives for that so even though it seemed very viable as a Covid vaccine they scrapped it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

To me it seems most countries did not anticipate a supply issue of vaccines 🙄. Add to that the hysteria over AstraZenaca further hampering supply. Israel managed to avoid the supply issue by paying above retail value for the Pfizer vaccine and giving Pfizer access to patient information. I was very disappointed to hear that our home grown vaccine apparently had promise but the government decided against giving more funding to instead purchase overseas vaccines 😬. We really don't value our own sciences enough then wonder why they all end up working overseas😒.

Two home grown vaccines, don’t forget the Brisbane one.

Apparently we can make the mRNA vaccines here but it’s a whole new ballgame.

A whole new factory that would take around a year to build .

BUT first we would have to get a license from one of the companies.

With the booster shots that needed it’s going to make it worse.

So let’s start building that factory!

4 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I think there was a problem with the Australian developed vaccine. Whatever it was based on (AIDS) caused false positives for that so even though it seemed very viable as a Covid vaccine they scrapped it.

That was the QLD vaccine but the one he was talking about was a SA vaccine. 

26 minutes ago, NSWP said:

The next ones will be just as useless uncle Les.

Your mate paul Keating sold the commonwealth serum laboratory for $2.30 a share it’s now worth $270.00 a share.

Gladys seems alright ,she has done a good job.

but would look better after a few G&T’s 

image.jpeg.d3b42bb17b36ad0638c0ba7c9fe8d6ab.jpeg

I believe she’s single?

image.jpeg

15 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

That was the QLD vaccine but the one he was talking about was a SA vaccine. 

Ah, I didn't realise there was another Australian one. The only one I recall hearing about was the QLD one.

22 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

Two home grown vaccines, don’t forget the Brisbane one.

Apparently we can make the mRNA vaccines here but it’s a whole new ballgame.

A whole new factory that would take around a year to build .

BUT first we would have to get a license from one of the companies.

With the booster shots that needed it’s going to make it worse.

So let’s start building that factory!

Yes, time the government stopped shovelling money to their coal buddies and actually used it for something that would be useful, especially these days. This virus isn't going away anytime soon, znd even where it does something else will arise to take its place in another few years.

The one thing that makes me sad is the AstraZenica had committed to not making profits from their vaccine whereas Pfizer are raking in the profits from their one, expecially after the very, very, rare blood clot issues with AZ mean they will get even more sales.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, time the government stopped shovelling money to their coal buddies and actually used it for something that would be useful, especially these days. This virus isn't going away anytime soon, znd even where it does something else will arise to take its place in another few years.

The one thing that makes me sad is the AstraZenica had committed to not making profits from their vaccine whereas Pfizer are raking in the profits from their one, expecially after the very, very, rare blood clot issues with AZ mean they will get even more sales.

Yep let’s get into the new technology.

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

However, Covax is a long way from being available.

Yes Covax 19. It would be quicker if they got the funding. They wanted to do phase 2 trials in Victoria last year and had volunteers recruited but without the funding to proceed they are taking the phase 2 trials to Pakistan. So Pakistan will be vaccinated before us😳

Edited by ilikeanswers

1 hour ago, Chiliburn said:

The next ones will be just as useless uncle Les.

Your mate paul Keating sold the commonwealth serum laboratory for $2.30 a share it’s now worth $270.00 a share.

Gladys seems alright ,she has done a good job.

but would look better after a few G&T’s 

image.jpeg.d3b42bb17b36ad0638c0ba7c9fe8d6ab.jpeg

I believe she’s single?

image.jpeg

I reckon Gladys B has done a good job, at least she rarely presses the border panic button, unlike some, yes she is single.

Edited by NSWP

24 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Yes Covax 19. It would be quicker if they got the funding. They wanted to do phase 2 trials in Victoria last year and had volunteers recruited but without the funding to proceed they are taking the phase 2 trials to Pakistan. So Pakistan will be vaccinated before us😳

That's really confusing that the South Australia vaccine has the same name as the WHO initiative to spread vaccines to poorer countries. I think when Scott Morrison refers to the 'Covax' as one of our vaccine options, he doesn't mean the SA vaccine but rather the fact we have contributed money to the WHO Covax initiative - he seems to think we'll get vaccines out of it but my understanding is that we, as a wealthy country, contribute funds so that the WHO can help get vaccines delivered to countries that don't have the resources to get their own.

'The COVAX Facility is the global pooled procurement mechanism for COVID-19 vaccines through which COVAX will ensure fair and equitable access to vaccines for all 190 participating economies, using an allocation framework formulated by WHO.'

4 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

That's really confusing that the South Australia vaccine has the same name as the WHO initiative to spread vaccines to poorer countries. 

Yes the name is confusing😂 I suspect they came up with it before WHO announced their Covax scheme. 

COVAX-19®

13 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

WHO Covax initiative - he seems to think we'll get vaccines out of it 

I don't think he is expecting Australia will get vaccines but he wants our region to get vaccines like the Pacific Islands and Indonesia as that would be beneficial to us. 

Edited by ilikeanswers

15 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

I don't think he is expecting Australia will get vaccines but he wants our region to get vaccines like the Pacific Islands and Indonesia as that would be beneficial to us. 

Oh, I see - is that his intention? All right-thinking Australians want the Pacific to have vaccines because it's the right thing to do. Let's hope it happens quickly.

3 hours ago, NSWP said:

From the Parliament House website. Just in time for the 2022-23 cruise season.🙂

"The election for the House of Representatives must therefore be held by 3 September 2022. However, an election may be held at any time before that date. Generally, elections are called well before there is a constitutional or legal necessity. "

48 minutes ago, LittleFish1976 said:

Oh, I see - is that his intention? All right-thinking Australians want the Pacific to have vaccines because it's the right thing to do. Let's hope it happens quickly.

Png will get their jabs before us down here.

18 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

From the Parliament House website. Just in time for the 2022-23 cruise season.🙂

"The election for the House of Representatives must therefore be held by 3 September 2022. However, an election may be held at any time before that date. Generally, elections are called well before there is a constitutional or legal necessity. "

So no more cruising for another 18 months. That hurts.

Agree that cruising and freedom to travel overseas seems along way off for the general public.

Remarkable that we are restricted indefinitely.

Yes we can travel in Australia albeit with limitations and yes there are many places to see but the fact we cannot leave is difficult and sad for many.

Hopefully the rollout will improve, especially since it appears vaccinations will need to be repeated until the pandemic is under control and in time eliminated. 

On 4/17/2021 at 9:31 AM, By The Bay said:

Scott Morrison, PM says there is no hurry to open the borders. Not looking good for cruising anytime soon.☹️

"Australia is in no hurry to open those borders, can I assure you," he said

"There are 3 million people now who have died from COVID. The COVID pandemic is raging around the world.

"I assure Australians that I will not be putting at risk the way we are living in this country, which is so different to the rest of the world today.

"The issues of borders and how they are managed will be done very, very carefully and must be done in partnership with the states and territories in terms of how the quarantine program works." Full article ABC

But we don't need to borders open to have some domestic cruising around Australia and NZ. We don't need overseas tourists to fill those ships especially if they are operating with a reduced passenger count.

We just need the ships' crews to get exemptions to arrive here on the ships, with suitable quarantine arrangements which may be covered by the time it takes for a ship to arrive here. 

• Like 1