Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

1 hour ago, Trevor Fountain said:

By the time this is over we may not have any cruise lines left.

How long do you think a business can survive without customers?

I think, worst case scenario and this drags out for months on end, the larger cruise lines will survive but with major reductions in their fleet sizes. Maybe even downsizing and consolidation of the various brands that fall under the likes of Carnival Corp and Royal Caribbean Intl. The only one I can see coming through without much damage is Disney, purely based on the near bottomless pockets of their parent corporation (in saying that, I believe it is drastically going to mess up their future fleet plans).

8 minutes ago, ivanp91 said:

How long do you think a business can survive without customers?

I'm afraid we're going to have ample opportunity to find out. It's heart breaking to think of the businesses that might or will go under in the next few months - small businesses I'm thinking of.

5 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

1. Australia/NZ/South Pacific 1 July 2020

2. Asia out of Singapore 1 July 2020

3. Japan 1 July 2020

4. China  1 June  2020

5. Alaska 1 August 2020

6. Caribbean 1 October 

7. Mediterranean 1 Aprl 2021

8. Baltic 1 October 2020 

9., S. America and Antarctica 1 August 2020

I am afraid to say that I think we will never see cruising get back to normal .again. 
Not the normal as we have known and enjoyed 

I base that on the fear factor , not only from future passengers but from the ports of call who are questioning the  sanity of huge ships arriving for a couple of days and over loading their facilities. .

We will come out of all of this but expect a rethink of tourism. 
I predict quality rather than quantity will prevail and that in itself will mean a lot more expense .

1 hour ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I am afraid to say that I think we will never see cruising get back to normal .again. 
Not the normal as we have known and enjoyed 

I base that on the fear factor , not only from future passengers but from the ports of call who are questioning the  sanity of huge ships arriving for a couple of days and over loading their facilities. .

We will come out of all of this but expect a rethink of tourism. 
I predict quality rather than quantity will prevail and that in itself will mean a lot more expense .

David ,I agree that this is going to change cruising.

The experts are predicting 12 to 18 months of world upheaval. The biggest disruption to the world since WW11

This event is supposed to be the most significant in our life .Not just the virus but the economic and social affects .

• Like 2

I different line of thought......  I think for a start.... there will be a lot more out and back cruises, and then only in one country........

It is a big deal..... as really nobody know how long this will go on for ....

firstly will they have toilet paper on the ships 

More importantly things must be back to scheduled cruises by October....

because that is when our next cruises is booked....

Can't use the crystal ball... the battery has gone flat...

Cheers Don 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Our group is going to the Islands, or some alternative with Carnival on the 9th June. They sent the final payment reminder to me this morning so it must still be on.

On radiance last week,the cruise was canceled at life boat muster.Get your drinks and leave.

Now that’s a short cruise.

50 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

Our group is going to the Islands, or some alternative with Carnival on the 9th June. They sent the final payment reminder to me this morning so it must still be on.

They want the money, but they can still cancel the cruise, good luck mate.

1 hour ago, Russell21 said:

The cruise might be 'on' at the moment, but it could be cancelled as the date gets closer. If you make the final payment and the cruise is cancelled, Carnival will most likely refund what you paid. I haven't seen an announcement from Carnival on what will happen if the passenger cancels.

16 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yes plus heart conditions. These conditions can be controlled very well and many would live good lives. 

Leigh

That's not the issue.

If these people catch the virus then their outcomes are much worse than a healthy person of the same age. The ships simply don't have the equipment on board to cope with the medical requirements of these passengers, if they go downhill quickly. 

I was denied boarding on Radiance on Saturday because of diabetes. I applaud them for doing so. 

9 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

The cruise might be 'on' at the moment, but it could be cancelled as the date gets closer. If you make the final payment and the cruise is cancelled, Carnival will most likely refund what you paid. I haven't seen an announcement from Carnival on what will happen if the passenger cancels.

And if carnival files for chapter 11 bankruptcy in the states ,you become a creditor.

Things aren’t that bad yet but it’s a possibility.

Just now, Chiliburn said:

And if carnival files for chapter 11 bankruptcy in the states ,you become a creditor.

Things aren’t that bad yet but it’s a possibility.

I hope and believe that Carnival Corp will get through this, but maybe some cruise companies won't.

1 minute ago, Vader1111 said:

That's not the issue.

If these people catch the virus then their outcomes are much worse than a healthy person of the same age. The ships simply don't have the equipment on board to cope with the medical requirements of these passengers, if they go downhill quickly. 

I was denied boarding on Radiance on Saturday because of diabetes. I applaud them for doing so. 

Thank you I realise that is the reason and it will affect many of us who cruise. Perhaps I should have stated ‘in normal times’ ie when Covid 19 is not the great concern it is now. Many older cruisers are worried if the doctor’s letters are needed once this pandemic is over they won’t be able to cruise any more. 

Leigh

5 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thank you I realise that is the reason and it will affect many of us who cruise. Perhaps I should have stated ‘in normal times’ ie when Covid 19 is not the great concern it is now. Many older cruisers are worried if the doctor’s letters are needed once this pandemic is over they won’t be able to cruise any more. 

Leigh

I do not expect to be allowed to board a cruise ship until a cure or vaccine is developed. My best guess on that is late 2021.

Whatever the case, we face a whole new world once things settle down to the new normal - whatever that may be. 

17 hours ago, VK3DQ said:

hi

Well I think later rather than sooner , I guess that it will take two years to return to anything near normality .

One of the huge deciding factors will be if the requirement for a medical certificate for the over 70's remains

If so many including myself will never cruise again

Would not like to divide the market geography its now a world market

Regards

John 

By the time things crank up again there should be a vaccination available as there is for flu etc. Hopefully then, you'll out on the water once more.

1 hour ago, NSWP said:

They want the money, but they can still cancel the cruise, good luck mate.

True but I was just speaking with them re cancelling our group booking for which 1 cabin had already paid in full. The group decision was cancel and we are getting a total, yes total, refund. No hassles during the cancellation.

37 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

I do not expect to be allowed to board a cruise ship until a cure or vaccine is developed. My best guess on that is late 2021.

Whatever the case, we face a whole new world once things settle down to the new normal - whatever that may be. 

Researchers are well advanced on a vaccine and hope to have it on the market at the end of this year.

9 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

True but I was just speaking with them re cancelling our group booking for which 1 cabin had already paid in full. The group decision was cancel and we are getting a total, yes total, refund. No hassles during the cancellation.

That's great.🙂

1 hour ago, Aus Traveller said:

I hope and believe that Carnival Corp will get through this, but maybe some cruise companies won't.

Agreed, if there are any issues like that, Carnival will likely be the last major listed cruise line standing.

1 minute ago, The_Big_M said:

Agreed, if there are any issues like that, Carnival will likely be the last major listed cruise line standing.

I actually agree.

I was just reading Royal Carribean have $500 mil in cash and $8 billion in debt.

Carnival is way better financially . 

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

Leigh

How ironic - we've only done one cruise - and the reason for it was my partner's underlying health issues (cardiac) .  We normally travel independently, but he really liked the cruise lifestyle.   I'd much rather be carrying my own  bag around the world - so maybe we will just go for a full refund on the next one - not a future cruise credit. 

Its nuts if peopole were denied  for diabetes. Its a long-term disease - its not something that is going to kill you  even on the longest of cruises