Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

Sadly the stoush we are having with China at the moment is directly attributed to towing the US rhetoric. Trump spoke with Morrison and next thing you know, Australia makes threats to China, now China are stopping some of our exports.

At the moment I understand it is Australia taking the lead about the Enquiry into origins and is waiting for other countries to support us.  We are not towing the US line at all. Trump is following a different agenda.

Regardless of what you think of the President, Australian cannot afford to mess around with the strategic and military protection provided by the USA. Regardless of Covid. 

The troops are being held in quarantine in their own barracks. They are completely self sufficient. I dont understand the angst to be honest. 

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, Kiwi Kruzer said:

I don't think that will have much impact - they aren't exactly in any of the main cruise regions.

37 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I don't think that will have much impact - they aren't exactly in any of the main cruise regions.

It has been increasing in the last few years . The cruising out of Dubai has been growing , however I think the Seychelles are also trying to protect the exclusivity of the Islands and are not really interested in the mass market cruising .

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

I can't and never will, equate a preference for a cruising holiday over strategic Defence alliances with our allies. 

Which isn't relevant to the point being made. Nobody said cruising had to be prioritised over defence agreements. And none of which is relevant to entry procedures for both.

56 minutes ago, Pushka said:

At the moment I understand it is Australia taking the lead about the Enquiry into origins and is waiting for other countries to support us.  We are not towing the US line at all. Trump is following a different agenda.

Regardless of what you think of the President, Australian cannot afford to mess around with the strategic and military protection provided by the USA. Regardless of Covid. 

The troops are being held in quarantine in their own barracks. They are completely self sufficient. I dont understand the angst to be honest. 

The US started accusing China for the out break, Australia starts an enquiry after being urged by Trump. Seems simple to me.

As for the troops, did they have to come now or could they have waited, it is a troop rotation so yes they could have waited.

That said, cruise ship crews could also come here and wait out a quarantine period, so not sure why one non essential travel plan is definitely ruled out when others are not.

$$$$ 

51 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Covid is going to be around for a long time, now is as good a time as any for a very long time. Have no issues with defence as a priority over discretionary choices. 

the defence was already here though, just swapped around.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

the defence was already here though, just swapped around.

It is the swapping around that is the real public health issue.

Any influx of people from regions where the disease has taken hold brings with it inherent risks. 

We know there are serious issues in the US, and serious outbreaks in their military. The testing, re-testing, screening and proper quarantine requirements for all of these people have to be paramount.

If we track back a little, one of the first big sources of the virus into Australia was from the US. All the Aspen ski party people who contracted there and brought it home and shared it around.  Tom Hanks.  There have been various reports of American tourists bringing it with them.

Oh yeah. Rugby league players. Scotty loves his footy.

2 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

the defence was already here though, just swapped arou

25 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Any influx of people from regions where the disease has taken hold brings with it inherent risks. 

We know there are serious issues in the US, and serious outbreaks in their military. The testing, re-testing, screening and proper quarantine requirements for all of these people have to be paramount.

Both the Australian and US governments should have more sense at this time. Well, OK, I guess you can't expect the US government to have any sense, but still.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Docker123 said:

If we track back a little, one of the first big sources of the virus into Australia was from the US. All the Aspen ski party people who contracted there and brought it home and shared it around.  Tom Hanks.  There have been various reports of American tourists bringing it with them.

Oh yeah. Rugby league players. Scotty loves his footy.

Exactly.

6 hours ago, Pushka said:

Covid is going to be around for a long time, now is as good a time as any for a very long time. Have no issues with defence as a priority over discretionary choices. 

It's not a case of either/or. 

Except some are trying to pretend it is.

While I don't agree with US troops coming to Australia (look at what the infected troops did to Guam😟) I think unfortunately with US we are more likely to be granted expecptions because we have stronger relations with them than we do the Philipines and Indonesia. Our relations with Indonesia are pretty inadequate considering they are one of our largest and nearest neighbours.

On 5/14/2020 at 10:15 PM, possum52 said:

It is only this week that some children have returned to school in the Netherlands. Families have been in lockdown so any data is not really accurate. It also says that because Covid 19 is so new research will have to continue on how it affects children. It seems as though there is new research every other day on its effects on children. 

Leigh

I think it will definitely take time for data to be collected re children because - as you said - it is such new research. I am watching it VERY closely.

Offering my own story as a teacher (unrelated to the quote above) - last week I had one student absent from my class. All other students were at school every day. We are back to school as usual with extra hygiene, hand washing and temperatures being taken before anyone steps foot in the door.

I work in a small private school (NSW) and we have had very few local cases with only one community transmission (colleague of one of the other cases) and they have all recovered. Thousands and thousands of tests in the past few weeks have shown zero new cases ... so we are feeling quite safe.

It would be different if we still had cases in the community, but for now we are comfortable having students at school. We are lucky to have the flexibility to make those decisions, being a small independent school. I know that a lot of my colleagues in the public school feel 100% opposite to me. I respect them completely, but can I say that the past week has been so full of joy and happiness! I love having my students back - I missed them during remote learning. It was hard.

Edited by CupcakeSusie
Autocorrect makes me look stupid
  • Like 2

More research is what is needed, especially as one disease has been linked with Children getting Covid 19 - https://www.smh.com.au/national/how-does-covid-19-affect-children-and-what-is-kawasaki-disease-20200514-p54swe.html

Personally, I have been working from home along with many others, and self isolating at the governments insistence to a threat of a fine. Why would I think it safe for the kids to not be at home as well, especially when they say the kids could be asymptomatic, makes no sense if they can get it from another child and then brings it home. Now that the restrictions are lifting, the situation has changed and I agree, kids can go back to school, and people can go back to work.

12 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

While I don't agree with US troops coming to Australia (look at what the infected troops did to Guam😟) I think unfortunately with US we are more likely to be granted expecptions because we have stronger relations with them than we do the Philipines and Indonesia. Our relations with Indonesia are pretty inadequate considering they are one of our largest and nearest neighbours.

......... and just happen to be the largest Muslim nation in the world.

42 minutes ago, Russell21 said:

......... and just happen to be the largest Muslim nation in the world.

The majority of whom are peace loving, gentle people; their good name tarnished by a radical minority.

Edited by lyndarra
typo

1 hour ago, CupcakeSusie said:

I think it will definitely take time for data to be collected re children because - as you said - it is such new research. I am watching it VERY closely.

Offering my own story as a teacher (unrelated to the quote above) - last week I had one student absent from my class. All other students were at school every day. We are back to school as usual with extra hygiene, hand washing and temperatures being taken before anyone steps foot in the door.

I work in a small private school (NSW) and we have had very few local cases with only one community transmission (colleague of one of the other cases) and they have all recovered. Thousands and thousands of tests in the past few weeks have shown zero new cases ... so we are feeling quite safe.

It would be different if we still had cases in the community, but for now we are comfortable having students at school. We are lucky to have the flexibility to make those decisions, being a small independent school. I know that a lot of my colleagues in the public school feel 100% opposite to me. I respect them completely, but can I say that the past week has been so full of joy and happiness! I love having my students back - I missed them during remote learning. It was hard.

I have been retired from teaching for 10 years now and have not caught a cold, flu, sniffles or anything like it in that time. During my teaching career of 36 years I got the usual run of colds, sore throats etc at least twice a year. Classrooms are just as much a petri dish as cruise ships. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CupcakeSusie said:

colleagues in the public school feel 100% opposite to me. I respect them completely, but can I say that the past week has been so full of joy and happiness! I love having my students back - I missed them during remote learning. It was hard.

Thanks for your insights CupcakeSusie. As you say many of your colleagues in the public sector don't feel the same as you. I'll offer my own story, well my daughter's who teaches years 1 and 2 in a Victorian government school. She misses her students as  you do but is very worried about how do you stop six, seven and eight year olds particularly girls from hugging each other? The experts say that school students don't have to practice social distancing in class - that doesn't make sense when the rest of the community is being reminded constantly to do so. I have an almost 7 year old granddaughter who will return to school soon and is very excited about seeing her friends. But I know the first thing she will do is hug her friends! My daughter will return to work on May 25th but her two sons are not due back until two weeks after that. They are able to go back to school as their parents are both essential workers but logistically that is difficult as the you ger one usually is dropped off at friend's house and walks to school from there and the friend will not be returning to school until the 9th June. The elder one travels by public bus to his secondary school and could work from home easily until his official return to school on the 9th but his 9 year old brother couldn't be left at home to do his school work. 

Stay safe,

Leigh

On 5/15/2020 at 2:15 AM, The_Big_M said:

Funny then, if that's the case, that so many shell out so many thousands of dollars for a perceived value of 0. 

Basically, that's tosh. The same as football is done for the revenue, so is cruising.

Cruising is a luxury.  It's not a need.  It's not essential.

.... and doesn't have the backing of a PM who is a rabid NRL fan, creating exemptions where there really shouldn't be one.

Forget about cruising until international travel restrictions are lifted.  There won't be any special exemptions granted to re-start a completely non-essential industry in this country.  You won't be cruising anywhere this year, and it could be well into 2021 before the first cruise ship departs Australia with a load of passengers onboard.

Edited by Vader1111

A lot of the discussion around children and covid is based in the SARS and MERS experiences. Both part of the corona virus family.

Essentially indicated that kids could get it. Those under 12 typically had much milder versions, with little evidence of transmission. Kids over 12 typically showed the same patterns as adults.

So, issue of primary school versus high school risk assessment and management.

Semi good news is a lot of vaccine research was done on SARS, but the money from NIH in the US was cut off and re-directed to Ebola research. Some of the basic SARS data are still applicable. 

You seem to think we want an exemption for cruising, we don't. What we want is a gradual lifting of restrictions (in a safe and considered method) and by August/September some international restrictions would be lifted, so by October/November we just want cruise ships to be among the next steps.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

More research is what is needed, especially as one disease has been linked with Children getting Covid 19 - https://www.smh.com.au/national/how-does-covid-19-affect-children-and-what-is-kawasaki-disease-20200514-p54swe.html

Personally, I have been working from home along with many others, and self isolating at the governments insistence to a threat of a fine. Why would I think it safe for the kids to not be at home as well, especially when they say the kids could be asymptomatic, makes no sense if they can get it from another child and then brings it home. Now that the restrictions are lifting, the situation has changed and I agree, kids can go back to school, and people can go back to work.

As of yesterday South Australia has been declared Covid free. The kids have always been at school. That article referenced stated that kids aren't the transmitters, and where they have developed Covid it has been from adults. Homes (along with Nursing homes and abattoirs, and large social gatherings like weddings, birthdays and funerals) are recognised as being one of the main sources of Covid spread, in an article today that queried why no attendant in a supermarket setting had developed Covid from contact at their workplace. 

Also important to note that children who developed Kawasaki illness, which is an auto immune illness,  were not necessarily positive to Covid so the two conditions were not related. There is no percentage indicated that I could see,  as to how many children who recently presented with Kawasaki illness actually were positive to Covid. 

I would welcome a gradual lifting of border restrictions. Our goal was never to eliminate this virus, simply manage it so that health systems could cope, but recently it has gone overboard. We can't eliminate this thing AND lead a life that is anything close to normal. 

Edited by Pushka