Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Alaska is not on the books anymore this year as Canada has banned larger ships till October. Hawaii till mid next year.

If we do have a season we will probably be one of the first.We only have 4 months to go.

I believe the American river boats may be the first as they don’t have to deal with port closures.
My prediction,1-2 larger ships from the big brands will return in October and have a trial.

31 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

As mentioned, Canada has banned ships til 31st October which basically means no more cruising at all this year until around April/May 2021.

That really was no surprise Mic. I don't know why they didn't pull the plug earlier. This officially cancels the season and forces Cruise companies to deal with their patrons properly; holding off cancelling a cruise that they know ill not happen and forcing people to pay up or lose the deposit and then foisting a FCC on them, it may keep the money in the pot short term. It may also make long term loyal customers re-think their loyalty.

If for instance the Government of Australia and New Zealand intend to keep their borders and ports closed into 2021 then I hope they will make the declaration before the end of September; that way we will know we have to change our plans which have been well over a year in the making.

I know this situation is still very fluid, apparently there isn't even a lot of good will between the states in Australia about which ones a doing a better job than others; let alone a bunch of foreigners, some from places that clearly have no plan or vision of a plan or will to create a plan.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Looks like buffets are becoming a fast casualty. 

And not just on cruiseships. Received email from a local RSL club advising that from this week various venues/facilities will re-open with certain restrictions in place. They then write "Buffet will be permanently closed."

So many clubs feature an all you can eat buffet, so that is looking like no more.

3 hours ago, mr walker said:

And not just on cruiseships. Received email from a local RSL club advising that from this week various venues/facilities will re-open with certain restrictions in place. They then write "Buffet will be permanently closed."

So many clubs feature an all you can eat buffet, so that is looking like no more.

Our local RSL had a very popular buffet with really good food and now they have announced they are turning it into a bistro😕.

3 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

A local club down here is famous for it's seafood buffet and it said it will just have people serving it off trays instead around the tables. Not sure they quite get the idea of why it is being banned, but anyway.

One person walking around tables serving portions of dishes to patrons, which is a bit like how Yum Cha works, is quite different to a buffet where dozens of people use the same serving implements to help themselves to each dish that they want. Even better if the portions served are individually plated on small plates, rather like Yum Cha dishes so that all the person taking the trays around is doing is offering the various selections. I think it would work and is a novel way of still offering the sort of choice you get at a buffet but served differently. Also the patrons remain seated instead of lining up at the buffet which helps with social distancing.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

One person walking around tables serving portions of dishes to patrons, which is a bit like how Yum Cha works, is quite different to a buffet where dozens of people use the same serving implements to help themselves to each dish that they want. Even better if the portions served are individually plated on small plates, rather like Yum Cha dishes so that all the person taking the trays around is doing is offering the various selections. I think it would work and is a novel way of still offering the sort of choice you get at a buffet but served differently. Also the patrons remain seated instead of lining up at the buffet which helps with social distancing.

It is not so much the serving of food that is the issue though, their buffet is extremely popular, so it is the numbers of guests in the club, hundreds and hundreds.

4 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is not so much the serving of food that is the issue though, their buffet is extremely popular, so it is the numbers of guests in the club, hundreds and hundreds.

They'd have to comply with the social distancing requirements regardless, so would have to limit the number of guests in the club at any one time. 

2 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

Our local RSL had a very popular buffet with really good food and now they have announced they are turning it into a bistro😕.

There was some reporting of how clubs in NSW could skirt the regulations to get many more people into their venues.

This included opening more table service areas, even where they were not regular dining rooms. Reception rooms, large meeting rooms etc.  Some ideas of creating “smaller” rooms by putting in dividers into large spaces to meet the max per room allowed. 

The social distancing rule for clubs is a joke.  Each room in a club will have its own limit.  Our local club has five areas calculated at Bar 50 people, Bistro 30 people, Restaurant 30 people, function room 30 people, gaming area 20 people.  And this is a small coastal village.  Larger clubs with more rooms and larger room have no limit to the maximum number allowed.  Only strange rule is you cannot move from one room to another.  This is NSW.   Room dividers are not allowed.

Edited by dillpickle48

11 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

There was some reporting of how clubs in NSW could skirt the regulations to get many more people into their venues.

This included opening more table service areas, even where they were not regular dining rooms. Reception rooms, large meeting rooms etc.  Some ideas of creating “smaller” rooms by putting in dividers into large spaces to meet the max per room allowed. 

Many places are putting up temporary walls so that they can fit more people in.

15 minutes ago, Docker123 said:

Might be OK in NSW but the Victorian regulations won't allow this:   Each dining area must be separated by permanent structures or be a discrete area of the premises that is sufficiently separated from any other area of the premises. Walls separating areas should be either reach from floor to ceiling, or be at least 2.1 metres high for the space to be considered sufficiently separate. Temporary structures should not be installed to create separate areas

.https://www.business.vic.gov.au/disputes-disasters-and-succession-planning/coronavirus-covid-19/coronavirus-business-support#hospitality

1 hour ago, Docker123 said:

This is the NSW story

ClubsNSW tells members some venues can reopen with more than 500 patrons from Monday

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-29/nsw-clubs-told-they-can-open-with-more-than-500-patrons/12296420?nw=0

CovidSAFE Marshalls to instruct patrons not to move between areas😳. Sound like a mini lock down in the clubs😂

On 5/30/2020 at 2:37 AM, ilikeanswers said:

You can add this article of announcements to the list

What New Health Protocols Are Cruise Lines Introducing?

Looks like buffets are becoming a fast casualty. 

Id expect they could operate the same as ships do under Noro alert which is no self service but someone serves you with your selection. It's a painful process when you get cruisers who are extremely picky as to which piece of food they want. From experience. Some people are just anal about the fruit. 

• Like 3

On 5/30/2020 at 6:00 AM, Chiliburn said:

Alaska is not on the books anymore this year as Canada has banned larger ships till October. Hawaii till mid next year.

If we do have a season we will probably be one of the first.We only have 4 months to go.

I believe the American river boats may be the first as they don’t have to deal with port closures.
My prediction,1-2 larger ships from the big brands will return in October and have a trial.

Do you have a confirmed source for Hawaii cruise restrictions?  All I have seen is some economic report which made an assumption that cruises would not return until next year.

13 minutes ago, banzaii said:

Do you have a confirmed source for Hawaii cruise restrictions?  All I have seen is some economic report which made an assumption that cruises would not return until next year.

I saw on the internet somewhere so it must be true??

Ohh ,someone posted a link to Hawaii ports ,  I didn’t follow it up.

I see serenade has has a fairly new cruise for 21January NZ
Check the Prices on those suites. ( ocean view 2 bedroom suite,2T ??)

So it would seem Royal will be bring serenade through the Panama Canal for our season. I thought they would leave it in the Caribbean and put in cold dock.

15 hours ago, banzaii said:

""I am sorry for the confusion," said Dr. Eugene Tian, an economic research administrator with the Hawaii State Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism. "It is a good idea to let your readers know that these assumptions are pure economic assumptions, not the government decisions.""

18 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

4 hours ago, By The Bay said:

""I am sorry for the confusion," said Dr. Eugene Tian, an economic research administrator with the Hawaii State Department of Business, Economic Development & Tourism. "It is a good idea to let your readers know that these assumptions are pure economic assumptions, not the government decisions.""

Yes that's what I saw refuting the claims - just checking that there is nothing else out there that confirms such a long period of restrictions.

It was great to read this article by a Doctor who was immersed in the Princess Covid infections. 

https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/coronavirus/ruby-princess-health-expert-it-is-safe-to-go-on-cruise-holidays/news-story/c1888fbac60c88ae45e87ef31d8bcb31

EXCLUSIVE: The doctor sent to contain the coronavirus outbreak on the Ruby Princess said there is nothing to fear about the ground zero pandemic cruise ship and said he would definitely holiday on the vessel.

Australian doctor Dr John Parker was sent in to contain coronavirus outbreaks on the Ruby Princess in Wollongong, the Diamond Princess in Tokyo and the Grand Princess in San Francisco.

And while he said cruising would never be the same, he was adamant he would go on a cruise on those very ships in the future.

Edited by Pushka