Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Spoke with a couple we know who have booked a couple of local trips.

1 to kangaroo island taking their car, and a 3 day cruise on Murray Princess.

They survived the last cruise on the ruby princess.

Got to make the best of life.

This latest escalation in covid cases may delay a return to overseas travel in the foreseeable future. 

10 hours ago, NSWP said:

You don't know that, what about Vics that have travelled into NSW from the hot spots in the past week before the lockdowns? 

Time will tell if there are 'spikes' particularly in the NSW coastal areas.

It is the same though. "What about those from hot spots, including China and the US, who got in before the lockdowns?"

They can deal with what they have but this is to prevent it escalating further.

"Australia’s Acting Chief Medical Officer Paulk Kelly has described the high-rises as “vertical cruise ships” because of the high risk of virus spread".

There is your answer about when cruising is going to return to Australia. I doubt any "high rise horizontal buildings" will be sailing from Australian ports as long as there are any active Covid cases.

• Like 2

I have been the greatest believer in a vaccine becoming available for Covid sooner rather than later and am an avid follower of the Companies developing one.  However 😢 the talk is now of the necessity of two doses before immunity could be achieved - that’s a quantity of 14 billion doses!! The time line for this is now 2022 - I am so devastated about this 😔

IF this is correct - very few cruise lines will survive - OR we must all learn to live like this :

https://www.cnet.com/news/living-with-masks-for-years-covid-19-through-the-eyes-of-a-pandemic-expert/

“Unlike the influenza virus, which was behind the 1918 pandemic that claimed as many as 50 million to 100 million lives around the world, Toner says there's no good evidence of seasonality with COVID-19. Until we have a vaccine, any rise or fall in cases will be based on social factors: communities locking down and families sheltering in place. And, as was the case back in 1918, individuals wearing masks. “

96D220E8-9878-4422-91F2-69737A388EE4.jpeg

6 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Australia’s Acting Chief Medical Officer Paulk Kelly has described the high-rises as “vertical cruise ships” because of the high risk of virus spread".

Regardless of how they use this description - I find “Vertical cruise ship” particularly offensive, up there with “floating Petri dish”  🤬
We will have enough trouble getting cruising happening again without Australia’s CMO regarding cruising in this light. 
Once more - with feeling: RUBY PRINCESS DIDNT HAVE COVID19 - HUMANS DID!!

• Like 1

It looks like things might be moving, at least on the health front in RCCL and NCR - they are joining forces re health panel to establish what needs to be done for the industry - see 28 min video posted by Tox M 4 hrs ago on the P&O UK thread - post 107

https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/topic/2754581-po-please-enlighten-us-with-your-plans-for-social-distancing/page/5/#comments

7 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

"Australia’s Acting Chief Medical Officer Paulk Kelly has described the high-rises as “vertical cruise ships” because of the high risk of virus spread".

There is your answer about when cruising is going to return to Australia. I doubt any "high rise horizontal buildings" will be sailing from Australian ports as long as there are any active Covid cases.

How are things in Oklahoma,HaveWeMet Yet..

In Australia we have been lucky,I suppose that a advantage of living on a island.

I have friends in OKC ,but haven’t heard from them for a while.

34 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

How are things in Oklahoma,HaveWeMet Yet..

In Australia we have been lucky,I suppose that a advantage of living on a island.

I have friends in OKC ,but haven’t heard from them for a while.

It will be awhile in USA and I suspect everywhere before the large cruise lines start backup. I don't actually live in Oklahoma any longer, now in New Mexico. Oklahoma cases were very flat until about mid June then started to ramp up a little. Expected since the state does not require mask/social distancing and everything is open. New mexico requires the mask and social distancing but covid cases are about the same. New Mexico goes bonkers over a little increase and out come the lock downs. Good thing out governor isn't in charge of the CDC.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Porky55 said:

Regardless of how they use this description - I find “Vertical cruise ship” particularly offensive, up there with “floating Petri dish”  🤬
We will have enough trouble getting cruising happening again without Australia’s CMO regarding cruising in this light. 

👍 I agree that humans (most likely passengers) took the virus onto the last cruise of the Ruby Princess, but unfortunately with so many people living in confined quarters, it spread. ☹️ Many other ships cruising at the same time had no infections at all. This fact is often forgotten by people who want to blame the cruise industry.

I agree that the cruise line may have been blamed for more than it deserved, due to sensationalism of media, which was much more than the aged homes and even the mass rallies where cases were found to have spread.

However, I suppose there may be some similarities with other industries for other tragic events.

For example -

A plane crashes, all planes are dangerous, but flights around the world continue as normal.

Two planes crash that are of the same model, all planes of that model are grounded.

Now there were more than two cases of cruise ships where Covid was aboard (Diamond, Grand, Regal, Ruby, Zaandam, World Dream, Artania, Solstice, Voyager, Ovation just to name a few) and in some cases it spread badly through mismanagement.

Yes there were many, many more ships without Covid but a few of these were sensationalised. The damage has been done.

5 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Yeah, it's a stupid comment. You'd expect more from senior officials, but this one is into simplistic expressions for snappy sound bites like politicians.

3 hours ago, The_Big_M said:

Yeah, it's a stupid comment. You'd expect more from senior officials, but this one is into simplistic expressions for snappy sound bites like politicians.

I know you are right, still pees me off 😡 hopefully those who matter aren’t influenced.

Edited by Porky55

6 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Yes there were many, many more ships without Covid but a few of these were sensationalised. The damage has been done.

The fact is that even before Covid, I was often surprised by people who wouldn’t cruise because of the ‘Petri Dish’ reputation re; norovirus - so perhaps we will have more cabin choices when cruising starts again, taking both Norovirus & Covid into account?

Though probably on less ships 🤔

30 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

The fact is that even before Covid, I was often surprised by people who wouldn’t cruise because of the ‘Petri Dish’ reputation re; norovirus - so perhaps we will have more cabin choices when cruising starts again, taking both Norovirus & Covid into account?

I find this reputation undeserving. I am sure just as many people spread norovirus through hotel buffets than cruise ships because hotel buffets don't ask people to wash their hands  beforehand. But because people disperse from hotels to different places and at different times, no one is aware of an outbreak of something like norovirus. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, christodan said:

I find this reputation undeserving. I am sure just as many people spread norovirus through hotel buffets than cruise ships because hotel buffets don't ask people to wash their hands  beforehand. But because people disperse from hotels to different places and at different times, no one is aware of an outbreak of something like norovirus. 

I've seen a couple of articles of the past couple of months and both stated that where there were nororvirus outbreaks there was a 2-3% chance of contracting it on a cruise ship against a 3-4% chance of contracting it in the community. Of course those percentages would be higher for Covid-19 as it appears to be far more virulent, and we are seeing that in Victoria at the moment. What will be really interesting is how many cases eventuate from those apartment complexes over the next few days ie cases that were acquired before the lockdown.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2020 at 2:12 AM, NSWP said:

Florida is big retiree State, so many vunerable people, probably why covid is going bananas there.👨🏻‍⚕️

The numbers in Florida are high due to younger adults who are not following masks and self distancing. Florida like many Republican governor run states opened before they were at the recommended CDC stats.  Following the lead of pres dump.  Opened beaches and bars and restaurants.  Now ***** is hitting the fan.  More younger patients at the hospital than "seniors".  US is in big trouble..more states are at hospital capacity..amazing that no one thought to get prepared after the initial outbreak in NYC.  Every other state thought they were not going to "get it".  Criticized NYC not having enough facilities or equipment..so for three months they did nothing.  Currently 40 states on the rise..16 states on a quarantine list for entrance into NY.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

I've seen a couple of articles of the past couple of months and both stated that where there were nororvirus outbreaks there was a 2-3% chance of contracting it on a cruise ship against a 3-4% chance of contracting it in the community. Of course those percentages would be higher for Covid-19 as it appears to be far more virulent, and we are seeing that in Victoria at the moment. What will be really interesting is how many cases eventuate from those apartment complexes over the next few days ie cases that were acquired before the lockdown.

I think there were another 16 cases from the towers today. Well, we're all in lockdown again in Metro Melbourne from 11.59 pm tomorrow. Plus the Shire of Mitchell north of Melbourne is also included. Stage 3 restrictions.

Leigh

7 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think there were another 16 cases from the towers today. Well, we're all in lockdown again in Metro Melbourne from 11.59 pm tomorrow. Plus the Shire of Mitchell north of Melbourne is also included. Stage 3 restrictions.

Leigh

Not Happy Jan..... But what can we do   something like 700+ in hospital...

and lockdown for about 6 weeks......   Hang in there everybody and keep save

Cheers Don

2 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Not Happy Jan..... But what can we do   something like 700+ in hospital...

and lockdown for about 6 weeks......   Hang in there everybody and keep save

Cheers Don

No Don, not that many in hospital - 35 was the number quoted by the premier today and 9 in ICU. There are 772 active cases.

Nothing we can do at all. Only 1 active case in our LGA.

Leigh

My best guess would be this Autumn but I hear news that the second Covid wave might cover Europe in a very near time. The thing is that people who were sick with it have a high chance of getting again and fall sick. In this case, the governments will have to wait untill vaccine is found.