Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

24 minutes ago, possum52 said:

I think there were another 16 cases from the towers today. Well, we're all in lockdown again in Metro Melbourne from 11.59 pm tomorrow. Plus the Shire of Mitchell north of Melbourne is also included. Stage 3 restrictions.

Leigh

Stay safe, Leigh. 

1 minute ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Stay safe, Leigh. 

Thanks OzKiwiJJ, we will. Hopefully NSW doesn't see a spike in cases. For us it really be no different to what we have been doing anyway except it will be back to video calls to see children and grandchildren. There is only one active case in our LGA but this virus is so virulent, it could easily spread right through the metro area. I'm just glad we were able to visit my parenta in country Victoria a couple of weeks ago. It could be months before we are able to visit again.

Leigh

19 minutes ago, possum52 said:

No Don, not that many in hospital - 35 was the number quoted by the premier today and 9 in ICU. There are 772 active cases.

Nothing we can do at all. Only 1 active case in our LGA.

Leigh

Thank you for the correction....as dad use to say clean your ear out

can i plead a seniors moment ?

Cheers Don

19 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks OzKiwiJJ, we will. Hopefully NSW doesn't see a spike in cases. For us it really be no different to what we have been doing anyway except it will be back to video calls to see children and grandchildren. There is only one active case in our LGA but this virus is so virulent, it could easily spread right through the metro area. I'm just glad we were able to visit my parenta in country Victoria a couple of weeks ago. It could be months before we are able to visit again.

Leigh

That was great that you could get to visit your parents, Leigh. Who knows how long this outbreak will last. It just goes to show how quickly the virus spreads when just a few people don't follow the rules. Too many people just didn't want to believe how bad this virus is. They blamed the cruise ship outbreaks and severity on a) the ships and b) the demographic of the passengers, and thought they were immune. Tragic! 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That was great that you could get to visit your parents, Leigh. Who knows how long this outbreak will last. It just goes to show how quickly the virus spreads when just a few people don't follow the rules. Too many people just didn't want to believe how bad this virus is. They blamed the cruise ship outbreaks and severity on a) the ships and b) the demographic of the passengers, and thought they were immune. Tragic! 

Thanks you , yes it was really good to see them. Here in Victoria, from data provided by the Vic Health and Human Services, the age groups with most cases over the past two weeks are the age groups from 15 - 49 years. I realise that it is because we older folk are most likely staying at home and the younger ones are perhaps going to work and mixing more, attending social events etc. Each day, on social media and in the media, there are people saying the virus is either not as bad as what the govt is saying or its a conspiracy. Crazy!

Leigh

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, possum52 said:

Thanks you , yes it was really good to see them. Here in Victoria, from data provided by the Vic Health and Human Services, the age groups with most cases over the past two weeks are the age groups from 15 - 49 years. I realise that it is because we older folk are most likely staying at home and the younger ones are perhaps going to work and mixing more, attending social events etc. Each day, on social media and in the media, there are people saying the virus is either not as bad as what the govt is saying or its a conspiracy. Crazy!

Leigh

If you follow the science and the facts, it is easy to avoid crowded badly ventilated indoor places.  Unfortunately, the young are attracted to those places, such as bars, clubs, gyms, etc.  In addition, originally older people were the largest group of people tested positive, so the young didn't realise the risk to everyone, including them.

I'm so cautious, I only eat outside at cafes.  

Glad you got to visit your parents in country Victoria, Leigh. 

Edited by MMDown Under
  • Like 1

I'm fortunate I'm in Regional Victoria and we hardly had any cases. However, we don't want people sneaking up into the Country areas making the problems worse.

The lockdown restrictions doesn't apply to us. I hear that they going to set up roadblocks.

Edited by icat2000

6 minutes ago, icat2000 said:

I'm fortunate I'm in Regional Victoria and we hardly had any cases. However, we don't want people sneaking up into the Country areas making the problems worse.

The lockdown restrictions doesn't apply to us. I hear that they going to set up roadblocks.

That's a real concern, icat2000. We have friends outside of Yea who are also outside the lockdown areas. They both have health issues so will be hoping the virus stays well away from the area too.

Stay safe! 

21 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Yet again the horse may have already bolted, with school holidays started and many people already gone to their holiday spots, far and wide.

Yes Mic, the horse should have been stopped at least a week ago.  2nd week of school holidays here in Vic. There would be plenty of families holiday in regional Vic and NSW and been there since the weekend of 27th and 28th June. 

Leigh

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MMDown Under said:

If you follow the science and the facts, it is easy to avoid crowded badly ventilated indoor places.  Unfortunately, the young are attracted to those places, such as bars, clubs, gyms, etc.  In addition, originally older people were the largest group of people tested positive, so the young didn't realise the risk to everyone, including them.

I'm so cautious, I only eat outside at cafes.  

Glad you got to visit your parents in country Victoria, Leigh. 

Thanks Marion, it was really good to see them. We haven't been out for a meal yet, as many places here were just starting to open, I did go out for coffee with a friend and we sat in the garden of the cafe in the cold! Fortunately we had coats and gloves!

Leigh

Edited by possum52

10 hours ago, Porky55 said:

The fact is that even before Covid, I was often surprised by people who wouldn’t cruise because of the ‘Petri Dish’ reputation re; norovirus - so perhaps we will have more cabin choices when cruising starts again, taking both Norovirus & Covid into account?

Though probably on less ships 🤔

Some people are happy to have News Limited do their thinking for them. So whatever opinion News publishes, they adopt as gospel.

On 7/4/2020 at 8:58 AM, MicCanberra said:

I am supposed to be on the radiance for the relocation to Brisbane, it ain't happening as per the original cruise and I doubt it will happen at all.

https://mbccs.com.sg/search-ship-result/

Looks like you missed your ship mic.

I think Radiance maybe leaving the stage and picking up it’s bat and ball and going home.

Do you think it’s going back to Europe?????

Are there any scrap yards in Colombo?

15 hours ago, possum52 said:

Yes Mic, the horse should have been stopped at least a week ago.  2nd week of school holidays here in Vic. There would be plenty of families holiday in regional Vic and NSW and been there since the weekend of 27th and 28th June. 

Leigh

Many Vics on hols in Eurobodalla and Sapphire Coast, batemans bay to border, south. Some of the locals are hysterical in what they might catch, so many locking themselves down again. But this spike in vic is not going t help the travel industry, let alone cruise industry get back on its feet.

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

Any info on who hired the hotel security company yet? Inquiry? Someone needs an rs kicking, most likely the bureaucrat bean counter that hired them but I suspect they're a protected species. (Removes his cynic hat)

The situation in Victoria was a tragedy of errors:
- the VIC government cutting corners in employing those security companies.
- the security companies for employing shonky people, and not training them properly.
- those security guards who, even if they weren't specifically trained, didn't listen to all the warnings and safety requirements that have been constantly mentioned all over the media, and who thought the hotel security job was just a cushy lark.
- those same security guards who went back into their communities and freely mingled with their families and friends, sometimes in big groups.
- those people who refused to understand Covid-19 isn't just another flu.

As Les said, a number of Victorians already arrived in parts of NSW before the situation in Melbourne worsened. Hopefully they aren't from the hotspots although I have little confidence in that as several people from hotspots have already been turned back fron the border.

I am starting to wonder... everything seamed under control after the initial out break  ...

then bingo another out break.....

What is going to happen this time to make this the difference to stop a further out breaks....

Noting Planes from Overseas are only being diverted from Victoria for 2 weeks

Or is the reality until a vaccine... there will continue to be small clusters popping up....

Just a thought Don 

1 hour ago, lyndarra said:

Any info on who hired the hotel security company yet? Inquiry? Someone needs an rs kicking, most likely the bureaucrat bean counter that hired them but I suspect they're a protected species. (Removes his cynic hat)

From what I read it was a number of security companies employed to provide guards at the quarantine hotels. They were employed by a government panel (no idea who they were), I do know that one of the top public servants on this panel has been removed. One of the companies employed is a NSW security mob who weren't on the original list of five companies to be contracted. A big balls up by all concerned!

Leigh

As I've said many times there may never be a vaccine. That tactic of putting everything on hold until there is a vaccine could put the world on hold for a very long time. 

As OzKiwiJJ pointed out The powers that be low balled the security and now the cost of that decision will cost 10 fold in medical costs and returning to lock down. Not to mention the finger pointing from the other states about the cost they are bearing. The finger pointing is the most disappointing, it looks like what I'm seeing from that large country to the south of mine...the whole "we were doing fine until those people screwed it all up" it's not a good look. Your whole country is in this together. Lucky for you you don't have to share your continent with the most arrogant nation on earth.

30 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Or is the reality until a vaccine... there will continue to be small clusters popping up....

This is the reality. The virus hasn't gone away and it probably never will. Even if the numbers go down to near zero, there will always be asymptomatic carriers in the population who won't even know that they are infected.

So long as people mingle and exchange coughs the virus will spread exponentially. Until there is a vaccine, after which it will spread sporadically like the flu does.

The only thing that keeps the virus down is social distancing and masks, along with a strict test and containment program. If you take any of that away the virus comes back with rush.

Because the numbers go down doesn't mean everything is back to normal. Politicians that have been trying to pretend this are doing a dangerous disservice to the country.

Saying that once you open everything must stay open is very dangerous. What we need is a protocol that allows restrictions to be eased and then restarted as necessary.

Personally I'm optimistic about a vaccine, but if one doesn't arrive within two years we are going to have some big problems and very hard decisions to make.

Edited by SinbadThePorter
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

I am starting to wonder... everything seamed under control after the initial out break  ...

then bingo another out break.....

What is going to happen this time to make this the difference to stop a further out breaks....

Noting Planes from Overseas are only being diverted from Victoria for 2 weeks

Just a thought Don 

It was always said there would be outbreaks as the virus wasn't eradicated but I don't think anyone expected an outbreak of this magnitude. 

2 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

It was always said there would be outbreaks as the virus wasn't eradicated but I don't think anyone expected an outbreak of this magnitude. 

I think the experts expected such an outbreak as this is what has happened in Europe and other areas. 

Leigh

31 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

As I've said many times there may never be a vaccine. That tactic of putting everything on hold until there is a vaccine could put the world on hold for a very long time. 

As OzKiwiJJ pointed out The powers that be low balled the security and now the cost of that decision will cost 10 fold in medical costs and returning to lock down. Not to mention the finger pointing from the other states about the cost they are bearing. The finger pointing is the most disappointing, it looks like what I'm seeing from that large country to the south of mine...the whole "we were doing fine until those people screwed it all up" it's not a good look. Your whole country is in this together. Lucky for you you don't have to share your continent with the most arrogant nation on earth.

What do you mean by the whole "we were doing fine until those people screwed it all up" it's not a good look?