Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
OzKiwiJJ

Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Elorac123 said:

Also Princess have a 4 day Auckland,Picton ,Auckland In Feb 21 which I will keep my eye on and combine it with a 12 day land tour North Island.

Cheers Carole

Those could well be test cruise, Carole.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Those could well be test cruise, Carole.

Yes,I have a FCC sitting in a Northern Explorer in March and then it will be outdated.

Cant see it happening and thinking maybe I could move it to the NZ but a long way to go yet till decisions can be made but maybe an option 

Cheers Carole 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

More delay to cruise travel??

Reports in Cruise Weekly on line mag that  the recent advice of the UK Commonwealth office is against cruise travel by ALL PAX - and it is a hardening of its previous advice against cruise travel by those over 70.

 

Also latest reports by some experts are  not to expect effective vaccine for at least 2.5 years.

So does it mean that social distancing, face masks and a new way of living will be with us for some time -  on land and sea---(particularly if further covid outbreaks occur  on cruise ships  when cruising resumes - not too fanciful with the Melbourne experience and covid resurgence in different parts of the world)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Cyrix400 said:

More delay to cruise travel??

 

Also latest reports by some experts are  not to expect effective vaccine for at least 2.5 years.

"Australians could wait for two and a half years for a widespread vaccine to counter the coronavirus, former New Zealand prime minister Helen Clark has warned after being named to lead a global inquiry into the health crisis." ABC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, By The Bay said:

"Australians could wait for two and a half years for a widespread vaccine to counter the coronavirus, former New Zealand prime minister Helen Clark has warned after being named to lead a global inquiry into the health crisis." ABC

 

And before the vaccine - the apparent disarray between cruise lines re different cruise ship policies does not look good - refer thread on this board:  CRUISE LINES IN DISARRAY OVER HEALTH  for the link to the Cruise Weekly article. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cyrix400 said:

 

And before the vaccine - the apparent disarray between cruise lines re different cruise ship policies does not look good - refer thread on this board:  CRUISE LINES IN DISARRAY OVER HEALTH  for the link to the Cruise Weekly article. 

I read your link and it is disappointing that the cruise lines are pulling in different directions. Not a good look when they have to get CDC approval to recommence sailing in US of A.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The CDC no sail order is set to expire on July 24th. It will be interesting to see how far into the future it gets extended.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The CDC no sail order is set to expire on July 24th. It will be interesting to see how far into the future it gets extended.

What year? 🤐

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see Costa cruises has dates starting soon in the Med with Italians first and then adding others as they learn how to cruise successfully.  One Costa and a B2B on MSC was enough to keep me away from them, but who wants to go overseas for the next year or so anyway.

 

Would be good for applying it to our big island if the Costa cruises work out.  Don't think there is any chance of a trans tasman bubble, with NZ wanting zero cases for that to happen.   I think we should be only thinking Australian cruises if and when they start and for some time after.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, Rassa said:

 Don't think there is any chance of a trans tasman bubble, with NZ wanting zero cases for that to happen.   I think we should be only thinking Australian cruises if and when they start and for some time after.

I think there is a slight chance of a trans tasman bubble for flights, if our Commonwealth Government, State Government and NZ Govt. agree to flights between states with low/zero numbers, such as Queensland.  There is a big Kiwi population on the Gold Coast and Queenslanders like to ski in NZ.  I don't think there is such a thing as "a new normal", I think it will be a case of making the most of the situation we all find ourselves in.  

Edited by MMDown Under

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

The CDC no sail order is set to expire on July 24th. It will be interesting to see how far into the future it gets extended.


That order has been extended:

 

CLIA Announces Voluntary Suspension of Cruise Operations from U.S. Ports: https://cruising.org/en/news-and-research/press-room/2020/june/clia-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruise-operations-from-us-ports

 

"We have therefore decided to further extend our suspension of operations from U.S. ports until 15 September."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They are dreaming if they think the virus will be under control in the US in two months. Especially in Florida where most of the Caribbean cruises depart from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Read a link somewhere on CC can't find it now... but is was news from Carnival Corp.... to Share holders .......

 

Two interesting points were....

 

1.   Financially they could stay afloat for a year without running cruises..

( by re financing and putting new ships on hold for 5 months. )

 

2.   Also they could run one of the newer ships at 50% capacity

( and run at a profit... but small ).

 

So with that in mind  March 2021   is the dead line to sail....... 

 

Cheers Don

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Cyrix400 said:

 

And before the vaccine - the apparent disarray between cruise lines re different cruise ship policies does not look good - refer thread on this board:  CRUISE LINES IN DISARRAY OVER HEALTH  for the link to the Cruise Weekly article. 

 

That's just melodramatic. Just like there are different researchers coming up with different attempts at vaccines, and each state has its own variation within national guidelines for policies here, there's nothing wrong with working on solutions separately to try to resolve an issue. All that happens is that e.g. if CCL's solution is approved by CDC, the NCL group will have to harmonise towards it - it's not as though the CCL solution will be dramatically more costly as a business approach.

 

Sometimes having teams work independently can bring a more amenable approach, whereas trying to reach internal agreement first means they put their own business interests first without recourse to the regulator and it becomes a stalemate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They are dreaming if they think the virus will be under control in the US in two months. Especially in Florida where most of the Caribbean cruises depart from.

I agree, Florida virus cases have really exploded these past weeks, it is the retirement State of USA, a lot of vunerable people and cruisers.  Many other Americans and people from other parts of the world would not go near Florida right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Kiwi_cruiser said:


That order has been extended:

 

CLIA Announces Voluntary Suspension of Cruise Operations from U.S. Ports: https://cruising.org/en/news-and-research/press-room/2020/june/clia-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruise-operations-from-us-ports

 

 

 

That was done by CLIA. US CDC is a government agency. The No Sail Order is still July 24th 2020.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

They are dreaming if they think the virus will be under control in the US in two months. Especially in Florida where most of the Caribbean cruises depart from.

I was just reading that Florida recorded the largest single day increase in positive cases of any state since the beginning of the pandemic (15,299 people in 24 hours). Before this it was California with 11,694 recently, and previously it was New York with 11,571 in mid April.

 

These numbers are so scary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NSWP said:

I agree, Florida virus cases have really exploded these past weeks, it is the retirement State of USA, a lot of vunerable people and cruisers.  Many other Americans and people from other parts of the world would not go near Florida right now.

I was amazed to see Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida has recently reopened.  This current outbreak of the virus in Florida was started by all the young people who flock to Florida beaches in the Spring.  My friend, who lives in Florida in the winter, said there are six confirmed cases in her community of 2,400 homes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is not unusual to use a mouse as a test case for disease, but opening up disney world and having mickey mouse roaming the streets for hugs is ridiculous.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

It is not unusual to use a mouse as a test case for disease, but opening up disney world and having mickey mouse roaming the streets for hugs is ridiculous.

It was stated in the news report last night on ABC, no hugging of Mickey allowed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

It is not unusual to use a mouse as a test case for disease, but opening up disney world and having mickey mouse roaming the streets for hugs is ridiculous.

Instead of mickey mouse and all the other characters greeting the visitors as they arrived, there were just workers, not in costumes, waving to the guests.   The magic was gone, especially for young visitors who used to stand in awe, speechless, or race up and hug them, when they spotted their favourite character.  One of my daughters' favourite characters was "Figment of Your Imagination".

Edited by MMDown Under

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, By The Bay said:

It was stated in the news report last night on ABC, no hugging of Mickey allowed.

I am not going to Disneyland then, what about Cinderella, can she still be hugged? 🥰

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, CupcakeSusie said:

I was just reading that Florida recorded the largest single day increase in positive cases of any state since the beginning of the pandemic (15,299 people in 24 hours). Before this it was California with 11,694 recently, and previously it was New York with 11,571 in mid April.

 

These numbers are so scary.

Totally agree, 15000 cases in one day is horrific even given their population and testing statistics and we are paranoid about 100 or 200 in Victoria.  I am not saying we didn't have a problem in Vic, we do.  Some parts of Italy are spiking too.   The poms are rejoicing as there are only 150 a days dying now from Covid when at the peak it was 1000.

Edited by NSWP

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, NSWP said:

what about Cinderella, can she still be hugged? 🥰

Only if you are the Prince Charming and have her lost shoe. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...