Predict when cruising will start again post-Coronavirus

You may have heard that hockey is big in Canada. The NHL season was postponed just before the start of the playoffs. Now months later the playoffs have started in 2 "HUB" cities both in Canada. All games, no fans. All players isolated in approved and fully leased hotels. The NHL has teams in Canada and the United States, the playoffs are in Canada, no games in the US.

Major League Baseball is also restarting but the only Canadian team has not been given permission to play in Canada so they will play in the U.S. Once again no fans. NBA Basketball all games in Disney World again no fans. Formula 1 racing no fans. Are we seeing a pattern here. If the fans are not able to socially distance then...No fans.

• Like 1

I wish I could predict when cruising or any travel will happen again, I now have a travel insurance credit & no trips to use it on.

We have until September next year to apply it to a trip, hopefully things are looking more positive then.

46 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Yes, it was, but the crowds on the hill were sitting on the grass.  Family groups sat together and there was social distancing between groups.  However, it looked worse than it was because of the camera angle from the side.  Still there were too many people and football asked Govt to reduce crowd by 1,000 for next match.  I don't know what kind of football, but locals will know. 

Later - NRL at Sunshine Coast. Crowd capacity 6,000.  5,500 there on Sunday.  Now reduced to 5,000 capacity.  Do you southerners with your big stadiums still have grass "hills" at the football?

Remembering my Rugby League days, where I used to sit on the grass on the hill.  The only times I sat on seats at Lang Park was when I volunteered at the Canteen.  Then I sat behind the  players.  I followed Norths because I lived on the North side and they were the best team.  My Catholic friends followed Brothers.  I can't remember who followed Wests, but that was who I volunteered for.  I also used to follow local football played in a local park at Hamilton, near Portside, where everyone sat of the grass. 

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

You may have heard that hockey is big in Canada. The NHL season was postponed just before the start of the playoffs. Now months later the playoffs have started in 2 "HUB" cities both in Canada. All games, no fans. All players isolated in approved and fully leased hotels. The NHL has teams in Canada and the United States, the playoffs are in Canada, no games in the US.

Major League Baseball is also restarting but the only Canadian team has not been given permission to play in Canada so they will play in the U.S. Once again no fans. NBA Basketball all games in Disney World again no fans. Formula 1 racing no fans. Are we seeing a pattern here. If the fans are not able to socially distance then...No fans.

The AFL played R1 with no fans, and will probably end up playing in front of empty stadia again before the season is done.  For now though, fans are allowed into the grounds in limited numbers.

23 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

The AFL played R1 with no fans, and will probably end up playing in front of empty stadia again before the season is done.  For now though, fans are allowed into the grounds in limited numbers.

There were 20,912 at Optus Stadium in Perth for Fremantle v Collingwood on Sunday. Adelaide Oval had 14,159 last night. Contrary to playing in front of empty stadiums, the states outside NSW and Vic are permitting crowds and will continue, unless the virus arrives with a person from NSW or VIC.

28 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

Well good luck with that. So let's invite 20,000 people to a party and hope they follow the rules.

I have heard several times on these boards about "Imported" cases of Covid 19, not from other countries but from other states. This is a sad situation. These cases are not "Imported" they are Australian. Some Australians disregarded their community and that of others because they thought they were exempt from responsibility. From the information I have seen there is the so called diplomat...that is "imported". Australian wankers....that's home grown. Just like bone headed Canadians are home grown. We've had a large outbreak in BC because some people decided to party in a lakeside community and then scattered around the province and shared. Nice folks.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

There were 20,912 at Optus Stadium in Perth for Fremantle v Collingwood on Sunday. Adelaide Oval had 14,159 last night. Contrary to playing in front of empty stadiums, the states outside NSW and Vic are permitting crowds and will continue, unless the virus arrives with a person from NSW or VIC.

There is no sport at all being played in Melbourne and very little in the remainder of the state. Many Victorian country sporting organisations have cancelled their winter seasons. 

In my opinion the major Sporting Bodies in Australia, whoever they are AFL, RL, RU, The World Game think they are a law unto themselves and appear to over rule the government or should I say it, have unethical relations with government ministers.  All these codes should be shut down until this Covid thing is over, even if it takes 2 years.  Recent observations at various venues show the spectators are not doing the right thing on many occasions, i.e. social distancing etc.

Standby for incoming.  Yes, ban cricket too, well the World T20 has been shut down, has it not? 

Edited by NSWP
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, possum52 said:

There is no sport at all being played in Melbourne and very little in the remainder of the state. Many Victorian country sporting organisations have cancelled their winter seasons. 

Is aerial ping pong suspended at all levels Leigh, from kiddies to professionals? 

Is there any state in Australia with no confirmed cases? If not then news flash the virus is already all across the continent. Not just NSW or Victoria. Don't make the mistake of thinking someone from somewhere else is going to bring it in...it's already there. So many people everywhere doing the right thing for themselves, their families and their community being derailed by the arrogant few in most cases; and unfortunately some people in some states seem to think it's all coming from some other state.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

Is there any state in Australia with no confirmed cases? If not then news flash the virus is already all across the continent. Not just NSW or Victoria. Don't make the mistake of thinking someone from somewhere else is going to bring it in...it's already there. So many people everywhere doing the right thing for themselves, their families and their community being derailed by the arrogant few in most cases; and unfortunately some people in some states seem to think it's all coming from some other state.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Australia

They update daily

8 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Is aerial ping pong suspended at all levels Leigh, from kiddies to professionals? 

No AFL being played in Melbourne at all, including all juniors and Auskick. All professional games are interstate, the majority in QLD. All the Victorian AFL clubs are based in hubs on Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast. They have no interaction with the public. Train and back to hub, play and back to hub.

Leigh

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

No, Lyle, it's not quite like that. Some states had no community transmissions for a decent length of time and the only active cases were those that had arrived from overseas and were safely in quarantine so no community  cases stemmed from them 

Then the Melbourne debacle occurred where security guards mingled with overseas arrivals then took the virus into the community and it snowballed from there. No other states had community transfers at that time. 

Then someone from Melbourne travelled to Sydney on business and tested positive, so the Sydney outbreak stemmed from that one person. That peson may not have been aware that he had contracted the virus and he crossed the border legally.

Then three selfish brats returned to Brisbane from Melbourne, lying about where they had been. So far there have only been a couple of cases stemming from that.

So Sydney and NSW in general, and Brisbane possibly have every right to say that their latest outbreaks came from Melbourne. Note, this is backed up by genome sequencing where the strain of the virus in Sydney is genome-linked to the Melbourne strain.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

The States with very low numbers, WA, SA and TAS have their borders effectively closed. QLD had their border closed and soon after they opened, in came the virus thanks to the 3 "Ladies". NSW has closed its border with VIC. QLD has closed its border to parts of NSW and all VIC. There are exceptions as to who is denied entry.

25 minutes ago, NSWP said:

In my opinion the major Sporting Bodies in Australia, whoever they are AFL, RL, RU, The World Game think they are a law unto themselves and appear to over rule the government or should I say it, have unethical relations with government ministers.  All these codes should be shut down until this Covid thing is over, even if it takes 2 years.  Recent observations at various venues show the spectators are not doing the right thing on many occasions, i.e. social distancing etc.

Standby for incoming.  Yes, ban cricket too, well the World T20 has been shut down, has it not? 

Sorry Les, I disagree with you. Yes I agree with you about spectators though. Sport whether it be AFL, Soccer, NRL provides many people, just not Australians with an interest to keep them sane. For example, my very elderly parents love AFL and Dad loves horse racing. If they didn't have their sport to watch and give them an interest, what do they do? Watch endless repeats of daytime TV? They both read and Dad who is 90 and recovering from a stroke still gets out in the garden. But AFL for them both and horse racing for Dad gives them something to look forward. It is the same for many of us, something to look forward to, particularly at this time in Victoria. I was talking to an elderly friend at the weekend who said if she didn't have the football to look forward to, she doesn't know what she would do. It keeps her going.

Leigh

UNFORTUNATE SET BACK FOR SMALL CRUISE LINES?

https://www.9news.com.au/world/coronavirus-norwegian-cruise-line-apologises-after-onboard-outbreak/055fc9d9-2797-448a-92fb-471d202dd1ca

"A Norwegian cruise ship line halted all trips and apologised for procedural errors after a coronavirus outbreak on one ship infected at least five passengers and 36 crew.

Health authorities fear the ship also could have spread the virus to dozens of towns and villages along Norway's western coast.

The confirmed virus cases from the MS Roald Amundsen raise new questions about safety on all cruise ships during a pandemic even as the devastated cruise ship industry is pressing to resume sailings after chaotically shutting down in March."

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

The States with very low numbers, WA, SA and TAS have their borders effectively closed. QLD had their border closed and soon after they opened, in came the virus thanks to the 3 "Ladies". NSW has closed its border with VIC. QLD has closed its border to parts of NSW and all VIC. There are exceptions as to who is denied entry.

Now there are three guys in Brisbane who also lied about being in Melbourne and who are now in quarantine awaiting the results of theirvtests.

And a couple of cases in South Australia may be linked to an essential worker who travelled there from Melbourne. If so that's three states where current outbreaks all came from the Melbourne outbreak. 

1 hour ago, By The Bay said:

Optus Stadium holds 65,000

Adelaide Oval holds 50,000

Crowds are permitted, for now, but the numbers are limited.  The SA Govt was allowing 20,000 to the last few games at Adelaide Oval, that limit is dropping to 10,000.

Do not be surprised if they return to empty stadia again, thanks largely to selfish Victorians escaping across the borders and lying about their whereabouts.

Edited by Vader1111

1 hour ago, Blackduck59 said:

Well good luck with that. So let's invite 20,000 people to a party and hope they follow the rules.

I have heard several times on these boards about "Imported" cases of Covid 19, not from other countries but from other states. This is a sad situation. These cases are not "Imported" they are Australian. Some Australians disregarded their community and that of others because they thought they were exempt from responsibility. From the information I have seen there is the so called diplomat...that is "imported". Australian wankers....that's home grown. Just like bone headed Canadians are home grown. We've had a large outbreak in BC because some people decided to party in a lakeside community and then scattered around the province and shared. Nice folks.

The rest of Australia is well aware of how bone headed and selfish Victorians are.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

There appear to be a few boned headed people from QLD that returned from VIC and tried to hide the fact. I think you will find bone headed people everywhere.😉

Exactly. 

And many cases are transmitted by people who didn't have a clue that they had been put at risk of catching the virus. They didn't deliberately go to a hotspot, or a big party, or a crowded pub. They went to dinner, or a local shop, or a club a long way from any hotspot (like Batemans Bay) and know they had been exposed to the virus until they developed symptoms and/or were tested. 

Edited by OzKiwiJJ
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, Vader1111 said:

The rest of Australia is well aware of how bone headed and selfish Victorians are.

That is quite a nasty comment to make. As a Victorian, I know that there is a small minority not doing the right thing, but to throw us all in the same boat is just crazy and ignorant. Your comment is the same as me saying that all Sydneysiders or New South Welshmen are ignorant but it would only be a very few who are and I would never lump all the mostly lovely people of NSW into that category.

Leigh

Edited by possum52
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, possum52 said:

Sorry Les, I disagree with you. Yes I agree with you about spectators though. Sport whether it be AFL, Soccer, NRL provides many people, just not Australians with an interest to keep them sane. For example, my very elderly parents love AFL and Dad loves horse racing. If they didn't have their sport to watch and give them an interest, what do they do? Watch endless repeats of daytime TV? They both read and Dad who is 90 and recovering from a stroke still gets out in the garden. But AFL for them both and horse racing for Dad gives them something to look forward. It is the same for many of us, something to look forward to, particularly at this time in Victoria. I was talking to an elderly friend at the weekend who said if she didn't have the football to look forward to, she doesn't know what she would do. It keeps her going.

Leigh

Appreciate your response Leigh, but in this climate we have to give up much of what we love. All the best.