Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
clojacks

Should ANY cruises have left port on March 13?

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, bikerunner said:

I understand this discussion but right now dealing with the "what ifs" are for a later date.  At this point there are to many other decisions and things to take care of.  The past and decisions happened, was it right or wrong I am not sure.  I prefer to stay on the glass is half full mentality for dealing with this and the next hour will be better than the last. Im in Health care and its such fluid situation, Im waiting for the all non essential to work at home call to come thru very soon.  Im surprised it hasn't and Im at a lvl 1 trauma hospital.   Looking back there was no perfect date to stop the cruises for any of the lines.  The main thing is everyone gets home and be safe currently.  Ill let the crisis mgmt teams figure this out for cruise lines, this is an unprecedented event that is happening and right now going back and re evaluating what could have/should have is not in the works for many.   

 

I wish you lots of luck and strength ahead, I truly do. 

 

I don't see anything wrong with people here discussing the topic though. 

 

I think ships sailing on Friday speaks to strong Managers....but a complete lack of Leadership.  Managers were making business decisions based on metrics, Leadership was absent 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

 

I wish you lots of luck and strength ahead, I truly do. 

 

I don't see anything wrong with people here discussing the topic though. 

 

I think ships sailing on Friday speaks to strong Managers....but a complete lack of Leadership.  Managers were making business decisions based on metrics, Leadership was absent 

Still it’s a what if.  Not one industry or anyone moved that quickly overall.  It’s not until really today I am seeing the orders for  all restaurants any gathering spot closed down.  The retirement community my parents lived in only today went into serving meals to people’s rooms and not the dining room. There is a lot of what could should have been done that will be evaluated From what I have seen hardly any industry proved nimble and reacted quick enough.  It’s going to be an interesting 6-8 weeks.   I don’t expect any cruises to May the earliest Probably closer to June and then it’s figuring out new itinerary s etc.  Getting crew back    This will take a while to recover and get the economy’s of the world moving again.  things have changed no one was prepared for anything like this or new this would happen to this extent.  But things will return to a new normal eventually.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Can we stop criticizing X leadership already? We all think we know what we know now but there have been rapid new developments and daily shifts and changes? LLP is under great pressure and needs our support.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Mojogurued said:

Can we stop criticizing X leadership already? We all think we know what we know now but there have been rapid new developments and daily shifts and changes? LLP is under great pressure and needs our support.

The Diamond Princess was a “daily shift” that happened a month ago, that the cruise industry has had plenty of time to analyze and react to in an appropriate manner well before this past weekend. Lots of patients are also under great pressure as to how well they will recover....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mojogurued said:

Can we stop criticizing X leadership already? We all think we know what we know now but there have been rapid new developments and daily shifts and changes? LLP is under great pressure and needs our support.

Are you a family member or friend? You seem personally offended that anyone would point to Lisa's distinct lack of leadership in these times.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Responding to OP,  my answer is  “NO” - they should not have left the port.


To add on to that (off topic, but related) - is the lack of communication regarding the CONFIRMED COVID-19 cases on both the Celebrity Summit and Celebrity Silhouette.   LLP is sending out emails regarding how “health and safety” is utmost concern, yet passengers from the Summit and Silhouette are finding out on their own that certain sailings had COVID-19 on board.

Celebrity Summit:  February 29th onwards
Celebrity Silhouette:  February 23rd onwards


There are now multiple confirmed cases out there reported by public health boards.  It is disheartening to state the least that Celebrity has not posted or released any information about these sailings.   Passengers are finding out on their own through social media sites, not from the cruise line directly (for more info - see the dedicated message threads for the craziness).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That the executive suite at X is staying mum about known COVID-19 cases on their ships is particularly appalling.  If they cannot be upfront about that, of all things, why would you ever trust them with anything?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bEwAbG said:

That the executive suite at X is staying mum about known COVID-19 cases on their ships is particularly appalling.  If they cannot be upfront about that, of all things, why would you ever trust them with anything?

 

Anybody tracking the RCL board? I haven't been.

 

Given the comms on the 13th, I seriously wonder  how much of this is coming out of RCCL, and not the individual cruiselines...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Mojogurued said:

Can we stop criticizing X leadership already? We all think we know what we know now but there have been rapid new developments and daily shifts and changes? LLP is under great pressure and needs our support.

No the criticism is justified and warranted!  Management made bad decisions which caused much of Celebrity's problems tooday.  A Leader make the tough decisions.  He or She should ask were the dates for the cancellations printed and displayed?  If yes, then we must honor them. Support? I've cruised many times and made the decision to book Celebrity over the competition.  I expect Celebrity to support their guest at times like this.  A short term gain never works out over the long run!

  The competition is handling this crisis much better than RCCL LTD!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The whole problem is very difficult.

 

Older people, who would like to cruise, know they haven't got long and some fancy cruising till the end. The cruise lines need the revenue so why not? Because if they get in trouble the passengers expect their governments to step in and help.

 

At the moment, and for the foreseeable future, governments can't afford to worry about a few hundred (probably retired) citizens stranded in distant seas. It is very expensive to treat and repatriate people who are sick abroad. What can the governments do? Leave the ship to list, without food and medical help until all are dead or spend money and resources (that are needed at home to fight this pandemic) to rescue retirees from distant parts, knowing that these same people would jump back onboard if well enough?

 

The whole thing is a mess and the situation has changed. If we manage to get this virus under control, then things might get back to normal. This is a long way off. In the UK our over 70s have to isolate!  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, WonderMan3 said:

Of course not. Decisions were being made to suspend sailings the morning of those ships sailing out. The notices came out prior to the ships leaving port so they could’ve still cancelled the cruises and had people disembark. 

I don’t believe that. We were supposed to sail on March 14 and the morning of the 13th we were told it was still sailing. It wasn’t until I arrived in Fort Lauderdale at 5:30 on Saturday did they announce it would be cancelled. Unfortunately. I had to find out from Facebook as I STILL have not received any notice from Celebrity. Regardless, the Reflection had already sailed when the announcement was made. Guess they could’ve turned them around to come back to port 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Positive Covid -19 cases of Port Everglades workers was announced on Tuesday, 10 March 2020.   All cruise lines should have started shutting down and regrouping at that time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hvbaskey said:

Responding to OP,  my answer is  “NO” - they should not have left the port.


To add on to that (off topic, but related) - is the lack of communication regarding the CONFIRMED COVID-19 cases on both the Celebrity Summit and Celebrity Silhouette.   LLP is sending out emails regarding how “health and safety” is utmost concern, yet passengers from the Summit and Silhouette are finding out on their own that certain sailings had COVID-19 on board.

Celebrity Summit:  February 29th onwards
Celebrity Silhouette:  February 23rd onwards


There are now multiple confirmed cases out there reported by public health boards.  It is disheartening to state the least that Celebrity has not posted or released any information about these sailings.   Passengers are finding out on their own through social media sites, not from the cruise line directly (for more info - see the dedicated message threads for the craziness).

... and you were on these or at least one of them and were not told about the cases aboard and quarantined?

 

That is very, very, very wrong, to be sure.

 

Many of us know how accurate social media sites can be, including this one, where rumors and fantasy can run amok from time to time and as such permits panic and conjecture to ensue.

 

All because 'I just heard'....

 

In health and bon voyage

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, LMaxwell said:

Are you a family member or friend? You seem personally offended that anyone would point to Lisa's distinct lack of leadership in these times.  

^^^^^ This is often times the only go to when something is not to someones liking about policy or procedure at X..

 

bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

... and you were on these or at least one of them and were not told about the cases aboard and quarantined?

 

That is very, very, very wrong, to be sure.

 

Many of us know how accurate social media sites can be, including this one, where rumors and fantasy can run amok from time to time and as such permits panic and conjecture to ensue.

 

All because 'I just heard'....

 

In health and bon voyage

 

 

 

I was not on them - but passengers returning to Ontario, Canada directly from the Summit and Silhouette, respectively have tested positive for COVID-19.


We have intense contact tracing and reporting here in Ontario and it is all over the Public Health Boards (forget news media, this is government health reporting that is validated and truth).

 

I find it disturbing that people in my community have walked off a cruise ship and going shopping, without knowing they have been potentially exposed.  The numbers of cases are rising, especially from the Summit.  First reports from 29th February sailing and now the 7th March sailing.


I have been loyal to Celebrity for over 7 years (not sailing any other line), I LOVE them - but “THIS” is unacceptable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, bEwAbG said:

That the executive suite at X is staying mum about known COVID-19 cases on their ships is particularly appalling.  If they cannot be upfront about that, of all things, why would you ever trust them with anything?

What is it you would do with this info? Try to join the ship at its' next potential port?

 

Just presume that ALL ships have been hit with COVID-19 and let X do what it needs to do protect passengers and crew.

 

All sailings have been cancelled currently, correct?

 

In health and bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

For more details regarding the Summit - the big thread is here.   Because of this thread and people contacting each other, passengers exhibiting symptoms are being tested (with no thanks to Celebrity).

 

Before being anchored up - two sailings to date were affected:

February 29th - March 7th
March 7th - ?? (it docked at a later date in Florida, after being denied in San Juan)
 

 

Edited by hvbaskey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hvbaskey said:

 

I was not on them - but passengers returning to Ontario, Canada directly from the Summit and Silhouette, respectively have tested positive for COVID-19.


We have intense contact tracing and reporting here in Ontario and it is all over the Public Health Boards (forget news media, this is government health reporting that is validated and truth).

 

I find it disturbing that people in my community have walked off a cruise ship and going shopping, without knowing they have been potentially exposed.  The numbers of cases are rising, especially from the Summit.  First reports from 29th February sailing and now the 7th March sailing.


I have been loyal to Celebrity for over 7 years (not sailing any other line), I LOVE them - but “THIS” is unacceptable.

Are you saying that those passengers, not only in your community yet in so many others chose not to self-quarantine after knowing that there was a potential for infection?

 

Not that I, personally, would think right away to do self-quarantine, it would come to me on the plane to do so after being in so many environments where I could have possibly picked it up.

 

Each of us have to presume to be at risk no matter what and act/re-act accordingly AND have traveled to places and in conveyances which we know that others can be or are infected need to be pro-active irrespective of information provided otherwise from public/private sources.

 

Each of us have to presume that this invisible illness has descended upon us as it is not seen or felt until symptoms appear.

 

Thank you for your thoughts regardless, I do appreciate your point of view.

 

In health and bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Bo1953 said:

Are you saying that those passengers, not only in your community yet in so many others chose not to self-quarantine after knowing that there was a potential for infection?

 

And there is the problem  - they were unaware.  After the first case was tested and positive, people found out through social media and began self-quarantine like crazy.

 

One provincial government requested the manifest from the Summit in order to contact all passengers in their province of their potential exposure.  At this point, when a government health board is contacting the cruise line for a passenger manifest, you would think that “doing the right thing” by Celebrity would be at minimum let the passengers who sailed on the 29th, know there has been several COVID-19 positive cases.

 

Thank goodness for social responsibility, for when all those who did find out about this, they all voluntarily self-isolated themselves. 


The bad news?  many passengers are still unaware that there was an issue, as Celebrity has not reported or released information.


See screenshot below for an example from today:

271831151_ScreenShot2020-03-17at1_04_21PM.thumb.png.c045f5ad411f22a76adc4ad09a176d2f.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

What is it you would do with this info? Try to join the ship at its' next potential port?

 

You don't think it's important that people exposed to this virus should be told about that exposure?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, bEwAbG said:

 

You don't think it's important that people exposed to this virus should be told about that exposure?  

Of course it is important, without any question, yet baring being told I, personally, would presume at some point before shutting the door to my home that I need to strongly consider self-quarantining in the absence of 'official notification'.

 

After all, I do read newspapers, listen to radio and watch TV and understand that cruise ships are strong flash points for being exposed to this virus. Seemingly other passengers may not think much about it, yet I would and take the published precautions diligently. That is just me and I understand that others require more details regardless.

 

There would be no need for me to even remotely believe that a bullet had been dodged after being on a ship told or not by the cruise line about a break out of COVID-19.

 

After all, symptoms are often times delayed.

 

In health and bon voyage

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you expected every person who was on the Summit to self isolate when they got home? What about all the people they were in contact with on their way home? I cannot believe how you are able to defend Celebrity when they could have put so many lives at risk. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/16/2020 at 11:22 AM, hrhdhd said:

The people who boarded those ships had the chance to cancel. If they didn't, and the cruise left before the deadline, then they expected a sailing.

 

Am I surprised they turned around? No, but decisions are being made minute by minute these days.

Personally, I am astounded that anyone would have taken a personal risk and continued to travel at all under the current situation and the massive amount of info given throughout the last week. 
For those that chose to travel, I hope they have good health, but they, themselves are responsible for their decision to continue with their vacation and traveling. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

 

After all, symptoms are often times delayed.

 

In health and bon voyage

Our provincial health ministry notified us that a passenger on a previous Silhouette voyage has tested positive.  Why has Celebrity still not informed me of that significant point of information.  They new and stuck their heads in the sand.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, sheffield said:

So you expected every person who was on the Summit to self isolate when they got home? What about all the people they were in contact with on their way home? I cannot believe how you are able to defend Celebrity when they could have put so many lives at risk. 

That is now what we have to do after returning from Silhouette.  Unfortunately we had an overnight stay in a hotel and stopped for gas along our trip home.  What amazed us was the number of cars still heading south as we raced home  (22hrs driving time).  Only in Georgia did the overhead signs warn us of the dangers to seniors and travelers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...