Ports Closed to Cruise Ships

The cruise lines have done it for themselves

Cunard has ended its three round-the-world voyages in response to the coronavirus pandemic.

Passengers from its three ships are being flown home and the ships will sail back to Southampton empty.

Queen Mary 2 and Queen Elizabeth are sailing back from Australia, and Queen Victoria will return from Florida. 

Other lines which use Southampton, including Princess Cruises, Saga and Fred Olsen, have already cancelled all cruises. 

The Southampton-based cruise line, which is part of the Carnival group, said the decision had been taken "in light of the Covid-19 situation and the increasing restrictions imposed on global travel". 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hampshire-51904969

Edited by Bob++

2 hours ago, Bob++ said:

The cruise lines have done it for themselves

Yep, all cruise lines have cancelled until early April (probably later).

Aurora returned to Southampton today, Ventura & Black Watch tomorrow, Oceana wednesday. And I think that's it for a while.

JB :classic_sad:

That BBC article is not quite correct. Queen Victoria was mainly doing just South America.

And from what Cunard say, just that ship and the QM2 are on their way back to the UK. The Queen Elizabeth is probably staying down under.

Southampton isn't Princess's homeport so probably going back to the US.

I think all P&O's ships are coming back to the UK so it's going to be a bit of a squeeze in Southampton with all 7 + 2 Cunard ships. Surely Southampton will have to waive port fees?

1 hour ago, Bob++ said:

I wonder where they will park them? They surely won't want to pay the Southampton Dock fees. 

I had wondered that too. 

Aurora is still at her berth (had been scheduled to depart on a cruise last night), Ventura & Black Watch are also at berth but only arrived this-morning.

Queen Vic is currently at Fort Lauderdale.

QM 2 heading away from western Aus. on the same track as Arcadia.

QE sailing north just off the Aus. coast, having sailed past Sydney 

Britannia has just left Barbados heading home.

I'm now completely lost as to which ships currently have passengers.

Yes, Southampton port fees are high.

No inside knowledge, but we may see cruise ships at anchorage at Spithead (eastern end of the Solent), rather than in-port - with the possible exception of Ocean Cruise Terminal (currently Ventura), which is part-owned by Carnival Corp.

JB :classic_sad:

Perhaps all the cruise lines will take the ships up to an anchorage at Scapa Flow, invite the German navy to take pot shots, and hope to recoup some of their losses in a big insurance scam! From what I have learnt in the last couple of weeks as to how insurance companies double costs to their advantage at the drop of a hat (due to a my truck having to be fixed after someone reversed into it!), nothing would surprise me any more!

Simon

• Like 1

3 hours ago, sddsddean said:

Perhaps all the cruise lines will take the ships up to an anchorage at Scapa Flow, invite the German navy to take pot shots, and hope to recoup some of their losses in a big insurance scam! From what I have learnt in the last couple of weeks as to how insurance companies double costs to their advantage at the drop of a hat (due to a my truck having to be fixed after someone reversed into it!), nothing would surprise me any more!

Simon

That scam won't work, Simon, because the German navy is on lock-down.

Sorry to hear someone reversed into your truck.

Had a similar problem some years ago when a fence reversed into my coach.

JB :classic_smile:

It's all peeeing me and my wife off. Everyone complains about how insurance prices are going through the roof, then you find out stuff like:

The truck my insurance has hired for me is £800 +VAT/week, but they are charging the other ins.co. £250 +VAT/day...over double! Oh, and if you are VAT registered (like me) I have to pay the VAT and claim it back, so thats twice as much VAT i've got to pay!!

They reckon the bill is £11,000(!). 7k parts (when I know they would be less than 2k) and 4k labour. At £50/hr, thats 80 hrs (or 8 10 hr days), but they say they will have it done in 4 days!!!

Someone is making lots of money out of this, and it ain't me!!🤬

Simon

PS I once had a whole distribution depot drive into the back of my truck...no one believed me either!

On 3/17/2020 at 9:36 AM, Ray66 said:

That BBC article is not quite correct. Queen Victoria was mainly doing just South America.

And from what Cunard say, just that ship and the QM2 are on their way back to the UK. The Queen Elizabeth is probably staying down under.

I think all P&O's ships are coming back to the UK so it's going to be a bit of a squeeze in Southampton with all 7 + 2 Cunard ships. Surely Southampton will have to waive port fees?

Queen Elizabeth has disembarked all guests and is currently anchored at the Port of Gladstone. 

Queen Mary 2 is crossing the Indian Ocean on passage back to Southampton, due to arrive 11 April and berth at the QEII terminal. 

Queen Victoria has sailed from Port Everglades and is on her way across the Atlantic back to Southampton, due to arrive 26 March. She will berth at the QEII Terminal before relocating to anchorage at Portland.

On 3/17/2020 at 9:36 AM, Ray66 said:

Currently the only cruise ship in Southampton port is Allure of the Seas, finishing a cruise - and I'm guessing that in the next day or two she'll steam empty back to the USA.

The parking charges in Southampton may mean there'll be no cruise ships for a while.

Oceana and Aurora are now both in Dover - perhaps Phil can look out of his window to see if they're in port or anchored (my guess is in port, cos off Dover isn't a great place to park).

Ventura sailed out of Southampton this-morning to an anchorage off Poole.

Azura currently berthed in Bridgetown, Barbados

Britannia heading home from Barbados

Arcadia off western Aus,, still a long way from home.

Iona berthed in Bremerhavn.

Marella's Celebration left yesterday bound for an anchorage in the eastern Solent, then mid-Solent she turned round & back to Southampton - perhaps the captain forgot his hand-gel. Then today she left again to that anchorage - still steaming around the Nab Tower, possibly trying to get comfy.

Marella's Dream is steaming in the Med, Discovery near Kuala Lumpur, Disco 2 off Jamaica, Explorer anchored off Gran Canaria, and Explorer 2 steaming very very slowly off Bridgetown, Barbados (lots of cruise ships are anchored off Bridgetown), 

Fred's Black Watch hovering in the Firth of Forth (headed for Rosyth?), Balmoral heading toward her.

Queen Vic is mid-Atlantic headed for Southampton, so Ray's "Portland" lay-up would logically be Portland, Dorset

PS Panic-buying here is still a problem. Can anyone suggest an ointment to soothe the toilet-brush scratches on my backside? :classic_wink:

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bob++ said:

Is that Oregon or Dorset?

Dorset. The QV is arriving two days early on the 26th March and unloading passengers in Southampton first.

I wonder if Iona will even have any of her maiden season. Her first cruise is in May. Our cruise on her is in August.

Edited by Ray66

P&O Cruises UK has detailed the status of its cruise fleet in a recent update.

• The Arcadia is en route to Southampton, due to arrive April 12. She will then berth in Southampton before relocating to Dover.
  • The Aurora arrived in Southampton on March 16 and is now en route to Dover where she will berth at Cruise Terminal 2. 
  • The Azura is in the Caribbean heading to Barbados. All guests will fly home on Friday or Saturday. The ship will then sail home to the UK with no guests. She will then berth in Southampton prior to relocating to Portland.
  • The Britannia is en route to Southampton, due to arrive March 25 and will berth at the Mayflower Terminal.
  • The Oceana arrived in Southampton on March 18 and is now berthed in Dover at Cruise Terminal 1.
  • The Ventura arrived in Southampton on March 17 and remains at the Ocean Terminal. (Off to Poole anchorage I think)
Edited by Ray66

It should be quite a sight to see all those ships anchored in Weymouth Bay.

It might give a bit of a boost to the locals as they will all need services.

Edited by Bob++

18 hours ago, John Bull said:

PS Panic-buying here is still a problem. Can anyone suggest an ointment to soothe the toilet-brush scratches on my backside? :classic_wink:

Assuming you haven't gone the 'back, sack and crack' route, Brylcreem might help🤪

Simon

On 3/21/2020 at 11:25 AM, Ray66 said:

P&O Cruises UK has detailed the status of its cruise fleet in a recent update.

• The Arcadia is en route to Southampton, due to arrive April 12. She will then berth in Southampton before relocating to Dover.
  • Now just steaming away from her anchorage off eastern Aus. 
  •  
  • The Aurora arrived in Southampton on March 16 and is now en route to Dover where she will berth at Cruise Terminal 2. 
  • Yes, now berthed at Dover
  •  
  • The Azura is in the Caribbean heading to Barbados. All guests will fly home on Friday or Saturday. The ship will then sail home to the UK with no guests. She will then berth in Southampton prior to relocating to Portland.
  • Now en-route from Barbados to Southampton
  •  
  • The Britannia is en route to Southampton, due to arrive March 25 and will berth at the Mayflower Terminal.
  • Arrived Southampton today!! Currently at Ocean Terminal
  •  
  • The Oceana arrived in Southampton on March 18 and is now berthed in Dover at Cruise Terminal 1.
  • Yes, now berthed at Dover
  •  
  • The Ventura arrived in Southampton on March 17 and remains at the Ocean Terminal. (Off to Poole anchorage I think)
  • From Ocean terminal she sailed out into the English Channel, meandered there for a while, and in the last few minutes she's returned to Southampton and berthed at Mayflower terminal.
  • Now re-bunkering. Long-term berth, or quick pit-stop? Watch this space

Updated Mon 23 May

Edited by John Bull
  • Like 1

Arcadia could be seen on AIS just leaving Durban after re-fuelling, early this evening. A friend on board was beginning to feel a little bored with all that sea... she hasn't heard the latest from the PM!  🤥