Why do we continue to blame the cruise lines like Celebrity?

TeeRick

I am not blaming Celebrity for the crisis in any way but I am unhappy with how things are being handled and with the FCC for this reason.  It has an end date and is not transferable.  Forty years ago we went to universal Studios and they had just opened.  One of the rides were not functioning but we were still able to enjoy the park.  But as a gesture of good will Universal Studios gave us free passes for a visit that did not expire.  We used them 25 years later.  That is good customer service.  Celebrity would lose nothing by giving credits that were good for a lifetime or that could at least be transferred to a family member.  None of us knows what the time frame from now to the end of 2021 brings.

Our return flight on our TA cruise was cancelled by Norwegian Airlines on 3/13 and we have yet to be notified by Choice Air.  We cannot request a refund through Norwegian Airlines because we went through Choice Air.  My hotel reservation at a Marriott hotel was through Chase Reward Points and was a nonrefundable room.  Marriott has waived all fees and is returning our money or points and we can do all of this on the Chase Rewards web site.  Just saying maybe Celebrity needs to follow some of these examples.  We are not blaming them for the virus but for how they are handling the situation.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lack of communication is a common complaint. Perhaps they should have had more social media savvy people to monitor threads on Cruise Critic and other social media and respond to inquiries.Their approach may have cost them "goodwill" that will slow their recovery. Not too late to reach out to passengers on social media.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I do hope that all of the posters unhappy with the cruise lines will not be competing with me for sailings in the future.    Many postings on all of the cruise line boards are unhappy with the lines and how they are ha doing the situation.   Most lines are having to deal with passengers on cruises right now, getting supplies and finding anywhere to dock.   I hope all the unhappy posters will book other types of travel when we get the ok to travel.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LMaraist said:

Celebrity would lose nothing by giving credits that were good for a lifetime or that could at least be transferred to a family member.

I've wondered for some time why Celebrity has an expiry date on its FCC's. As prices rise, their value goes down, and the longer people hold onto them, the less likely they are to use them. On the other hand, maybe there's a requirement for accounts to be closed.

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I do hope that all of the posters unhappy with the cruise lines will not be competing with me for sailings in the future.    Many postings on all of the cruise line boards are unhappy with the lines and how they are ha doing the situation.   Most lines are having to deal with passengers on cruises right now, getting supplies and finding anywhere to dock.   I hope all the unhappy posters will book other types of travel when we get the ok to travel.

I think that people who choose to cruise in the future, will do so, whether or not they are unhappy with how the cruise lines handle situations. You should be aware though that there are no guarantees that you won't face competition for future sailings.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Covepointcruiser, the reason many lines are dealing with passengers onboard and closed ports is because they did not stop cruising in a timely manner and cruisers were happy to go along with that. It sounds harsh but I have no sympathy for them. There are too many things happening right now that we have no control over, they did and for whatever reason chose to sail. 

• Like 3

"Oh, here is a future cruise credit for your cancelled cruises that you can't use because you are both over 70 and don't qualify for the exclusions..

The guys getting the big bucks in Miami must have been reading the same news that we were and did nothing to anticipate the crises..

Do I blame Celebrity for holding on to our money since they changed the rules about sailing ever again.. YES I do!!"

I agree with this, totally. Stop playing games of chicken with customers, Celebrity. You KNOW you won't sail in April or May, but you are holding off hoping you can hold onto dollars in some ways. And for some of us FCC are worthless, as noted above. That "fit to sail" letter will be required until there is a vaccine, and then you will need proof of vaccination. 

I am also watching how all the cruise lines handle this, and will make any decisions about future cruises accordingly. Celebrity has been my "home" for years, but they are burning through good will fast. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, sheffield said:

Covepointcruiser, the reason many lines are dealing with passengers onboard and closed ports is because they did not stop cruising in a timely manner and cruisers were happy to go along with that. It sounds harsh but I have no sympathy for them. There are too many things happening right now that we have no control over, they did and for whatever reason chose to sail. 

I agree.  As an adult, ultimately I have to own up to my own responsibility and welfare.  I can’t expect anyone else to do so for me. 
Please everyone, be safe and be prudent and absolutely self isolate and practice good hygiene.  Again, best health wishes for you and yours. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, sheffield said:

I'm guess I understand your point of view but I'm not really in complete agreement with it.  I believe cruise lines were caught up like the rest of us in a very rapidly changing situation.  Just like everything else in our current pandemic society.  I think the current case of Celebrity Eclipse is a very good example of the commitment of this cruise line to do the right thing for passengers and crew members.  There are current threads on this so I will not repeat the story here.  Look it up if interested.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

I'm guess I understand your point of view but I'm not really in complete agreement with it.  I believe cruise lines were caught up like the rest of us in a very rapidly changing situation.  Just like everything else in our current pandemic society.  I think the current case of Celebrity Eclipse is a very good example of the commitment of this cruise line to do the right thing for passengers and crew members.  There are current threads on this so I will not repeat the story here.  Look it up if interested.

They were put in that position because they sailed when they should have cancelled. I agree they are doing what they can to make things right but they have to, otherwise what would happen to the passengers and crew? 
It was obvious looking at the rest of the world what was going to happen here and some people and companies ignored it. Of course the virus is not their fault but I believe they should have accepted earlier that they needed to stop cruising.
I know they are a business and need to make money but they have disappointed me and in some cases, such as the Summit debacle which you can also read about on here, appalled me. 
Thank you for your civil discussion, I’ve enjoyed reading the different replies. 

• Like 1

Really people!  I know we all love to cruise but given that the CDC has said that large gathering should stop for 60 days.  The President has asked the cruise lines to stop sailing for 30 days.  Responsible businesses have closed down and laid people off! Celebrity continues to be irresponsible to their guest that have been loyal to them for years!  They say and publish one thing and then say they made a mistake and not honor their word.  That's just no way to run a business.  Leadership is lacking, Customer service is lacking, and bad decisions are being made!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, sydbarrett said:

Celebrity won't even give me a simple confirmation that I cancelled and am not receiving an FCC so that I can provide proof to my insurance to recoup some of the money that way. So yes, I blame them.

X will not give you a simple confirmation or are you in line to get one when they can get to your cancellation for same?

I tend to believe it is the latter, could be incorrect, yet they will send everyone something in writing about cancellation, just not when you want it, right now.

bon voyage

3 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

X will not give you a simple confirmation or are you in line to get one when they can get to your cancellation for same?

I tend to believe it is the latter, could be incorrect, yet they will send everyone something in writing about cancellation, just not when you want it, right now.

bon voyage

They have said they will not send a confirmation of my cancellation with proof that I did not receive a refund or FCC. When I go online it is as if I never booked the cruise, otherwise I'd just print the screen that shows I cancelled.

20 minutes ago, sydbarrett said:

They have said they will not send a confirmation of my cancellation with proof that I did not receive a refund or FCC. When I go online it is as if I never booked the cruise, otherwise I'd just print the screen that shows I cancelled.

The fact that you cancelled is not at issue, what is at issue is the swiftness in which you will receive the confirmation.

It has been reported on other threads around CC that individuals do receive written confirmation with a detail of what was paid in cash as refund, FCC or lost.

You have to wait to receive this information to submit to your insurance company, that is the gist of my post. It is not that X will not or cannot provide this, they can and do, just not on demand.

bon voyage

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Bo1953 said:

The fact that you cancelled is not at issue, what is at issue is the swiftness in which you will receive the confirmation.

It has been reported on other threads around CC that individuals do receive written confirmation with a detail of what was paid in cash as refund, FCC or lost.

You have to wait to receive this information to submit to your insurance company, that is the gist of my post. It is not that X will not or cannot provide this, they can and do, just not on demand.

bon voyage

Respectfully, I was speaking to them and they said they will not send me such confirmation. I am not in a rush to receive said confirmation, but I was told I would not receive one period. In fact I specifically said, “I’m not in a rush”. I hope you’re right though!

I think why people also are looking at X askance is if you are sitting with an Alaska cruise booked in Apr.-Jun., and you know that the ships will need to dock in a Canadian port, and the Canadian ports will be closed until at least July 1, you know your cruise isn’t going.  Logically I can see those people saying, ‘just cancel.’  And yet, this isn’t happening, so people get frustrated.  Logic and bureaucracy rarely intersect, but patience will always be appreciated by all involved.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sydbarrett said:

Respectfully, I was speaking to them and they said they will not send me such confirmation. I am not in a rush to receive said confirmation, but I was told I would not receive one period. In fact I specifically said, “I’m not in a rush”. I hope you’re right though!

They have to document to passengers what transactions were refunded or credited or forfeited, I truly want to believe that they, X, understands every passenger needs some sort of documentation as to the status of payments for insurance purposes, at minimum.

I recommend that you call back in a week or so to request 'the status' of the written confirmation for your cancelled sailing, which is required by your insurance carrier.

In health and bon voyage

I blame Celebrity completely.  They told as at 11:08 PM the night before our flight to come ahead to Chile - the cruise was definitely going.  Then when we were trapped in a foreign company they emailed us another letter the afternoon (22:55 PM) before embarkation that they had cancelled.  We were lied to and trapped and they refused to help us get back home. 

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcoming you aboard the Celebrity Eclipse® for your upcoming 15-Night Chile to San Diego cruise, March 15th, from San Antonio, Chile. We have some important information to share about your upcoming sailing. 

As you have probably heard, today, March 13th, Celebrity Cruises announced that we are suspending cruises in the United States for 30 days.

We are contacting you today to assure you that your cruise is still sailing as planned.

Our number one priority is always the safety and health of our guests and crew and our goal is to provide you with an unforgettable vacation.

We look forward to welcoming you aboard soon.

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

©2017 Celebrity Cruises. Ships' Registry: Malta

Celebrity Cruises
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132
1-800-280-3423

Please click here to acknowledge receipt of this message

Royal Caribbean

ABOUT YOUR UPCOMING TRAVELS

Dear Guest,

Due to continued port closures and global travel restrictions, as well as to help ensure the continued safety of our guests and crew, we are temporarily suspending all cruising operations globally beginning tomorrow, March 15th, and will resume sailing again on Saturday, April 11th

This change includes the cancellation of your voyage aboard the Celebrity Eclipse®, that was scheduled to depart March 15th, 2020. 

Sailings that are already underway will continue as scheduled, until further notice.

Up until today we did not intend to cancel this voyage, however, in an abundance of caution we feel this is the best course of action for the health and safety of all.  This decision was not made lightly as we value your vacation time and want to ensure you have the best experience possible. 

In order to compensate you for this unexpected cancellation, all booked guests will automatically receive a 125% Future Cruise Credit (FCC) valid until December 31st, 2021.  The value of the FCC is calculated based on the amount paid for your cruise. Should you prefer a 100% refund to your original method of payment, you may contact us anytime up until the expiration date of your FCC.  To avoid waiting on the phone to cancel, please click here and we will get the process started.

If you pre-booked any shore excursions through Celebrity Cruises, you’ll receive a full refund to the original form of payment.  Guests with independent arrangements should contact their tour operators as soon as possible.  If you pre-purchased any beverage, internet, specialty dining or other onboard packages, you will also receive a full refund to your original form of payment.

Guests with air travel and hotel booked through Flights by Celebrity will be refunded automatically. Guests with independent air arrangements need to contact their air carriers directly to make all required cancellations.

If you are already on your way to the ship, please do not proceed to the Pier.  We are happy to assist you with hotel stay and return flights.  Celebrity Cruises will assist both guests booked through Flights by Celebrity and guest with independent arrangements.  Please contact our Emergency Travel Department at 1-888-372-9996.  If you have independent air arrangements, you may receive up to $300 per person in reimbursement for air change fees. In order to receive reimbursement, you must send us a copy of the air change fees assessed.  Please email to, celebrityengagementcenter@celebrity.com including your name and reservation number. 

We know how important your vacation time is and we sincerely apologize for the inconvenience of this cancellation.  Your safety and well-being are our highest priority.  We hope to welcome you aboard again soon for an amazing Celebrity Cruise vacation. 

Sincerely,

Celebrity Cruises

©2017 Celebrity Cruises. Ships' Registry: Malta

Celebrity Cruises
1050 Caribbean Way
Miami, FL 33132
1-800-280-3423

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

They have to document to passengers what transactions were refunded or credited or forfeited, I truly want to believe that they, X, understands every passenger needs some sort of documentation as to the status of payments for insurance purposes, at minimum.

I recommend that you call back in a week or so to request 'the status' of the written confirmation for your cancelled sailing, which is required by your insurance carrier.

In health and bon voyage

On February 26 I had to cancel my March 2 sailing with Celebrity.  This was due to a health condition my DH developed that did not improve as we hoped it would.  I did not have insurance with Celebrity but rather with my Chase credit card.   I was offered the opportunity to apply the money to a cruise sailing within 2 months.  At the time I was confident that we would not be able to travel within 2 months so just cancelled outright.   Within minutes I had an email regarding extras I had purchased and a refund to the credit card I purchased them with.   I did also receive a refund for the taxes but never received an email with this info nor a statement stating what was to be credited and what was lost.  Got this info when I called Celebrity and by that time is was a credit on my card.

I have filed a claim with the CC company and am awaiting an answer.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, samusaran said:

I blame Celebrity completely.  They told as at 11:08 PM the night before our flight to come ahead to Chile - the cruise was definitely going.  Then when we were trapped in a foreign company they emailed us another letter the afternoon (22:55 PM) before embarkation that they had cancelled.  We were lied to and trapped and they refused to help us get back home. 

It seems rather ironic that I dropped this very cruise, on the suspicion of declining integrity, leading to this grand finale in Chile.  I am hardly convinced otherwise.  The situations on Silhouette and Summit are even more disappointing.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 2:19 PM, Cachecara said:

....the reason many lines are dealing with passengers onboard and closed ports is because they did not stop cruising in a timely manner and cruisers were happy to go along with that. It sounds harsh but I have no sympathy for them.

I agree wholeheartedly and would take it further to say I have no sympathy for neither those lines nor those cruisers. C'est la vie.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OuiOnboard said:

I agree wholeheartedly and would take it further to say I have no sympathy for neither those lines nor those cruisers. C'est la vie.

The post you quoted was not mine.  Not sure how that technically got to me. 

7 hours ago, sydbarrett said:

Ask for the last numbered confirmation page,  it  should say " cancelled" in upper right and show zero balance,  As for a  note re no refund or fcc,  i suggest you  try again and perhaos escalate at the Celeb one touch  e mail

• Thanks 1