FCC fineprint

CruisefunSAN

So here is the fineprint:

*The FCC is based on the cruise fare for this voyage and any monies paid for Fly2Fun air.  FCCs and onboard credits (OBC) are non-transferable, non-refundable, cannot be used as a deposit or applied to a chartered sailing, have no cash value and must be redeemed on a Carnival Cruise Line sailing departing by 12/31/22. The FCC/OBC may only be used toward the cruise fare of one (1) booking in the same currency in which the above voyage was originally paid and cannot be used for taxes, fees & port expenses, Carnival Vacation Protection.

My understandings are: 1) at minimum you need to put more money in for the deposit; 2) the FCC you got has to be used up for one future booking, you'll lose the unused portion if the new booking is less. Given right now many of the future booking are so cheap, the $600 OBC may not mean much. JMHO.

Based on the stories I have heard that people with a PVP have better luck on getting the FCC applied as the deposit (than just calling into the call center). other people had to pay a deposit but said they would be able to get that amount as OBC after applying the FCC. I hope it works out like that for everyone.

So we called Carnival yesterday to get some clarification.  Our cancelled cruise gave us about $2600 back in FCC (spring break rates!), the replacement cruise we wanted was the same itinerary in September for about $1200 (not including taxes/fees). The gentleman on the phone told us that the FCC would cover the cruise rate (not taxes/fees), and up to $500 in OBC (in addition to the $300 carnival is gifting).  The rest of the FCC would be forfeited.  That would be $900 in the trash if we did that (or if you account for the $300 gifted, $600 in the trash).  The guy on the phone recommended we instead initiate the refund and book a new cruise that way.

Now, my MiL called last night to go through the same process for the same cruises.  That person transferred her FCC to the new cruise, made sure she also got the $300 OBC gift, and then refunded her the difference to her CC.

So it seems it is highly dependent on who you get on the phone.  If you have a good PVP, I guess you are covered.  But this kind of stuff is why I HATE calling Carnival to do this type of stuff.  I should be able to handle all of the above online (of course, these are pretty extenuating circumstances).

FCC cannot be used as a deposit, but the agent who helped us rebook took what we had previously paid for taxes and gratuities (which would usually be refunded) and put those towards our deposit.

19 hours ago, CruisefunSAN said:

So here is the fineprint:

*The FCC is based on the cruise fare for this voyage and any monies paid for Fly2Fun air.  FCCs and onboard credits (OBC) are non-transferable, non-refundable, cannot be used as a deposit or applied to a chartered sailing, have no cash value and must be redeemed on a Carnival Cruise Line sailing departing by 12/31/22. The FCC/OBC may only be used toward the cruise fare of one (1) booking in the same currency in which the above voyage was originally paid and cannot be used for taxes, fees & port expenses, Carnival Vacation Protection.

My understandings are: 1) at minimum you need to put more money in for the deposit; 2) the FCC you got has to be used up for one future booking, you'll lose the unused portion if the new booking is less. Given right now many of the future booking are so cheap, the $600 OBC may not mean much. JMHO.

Cannot be used as a deposit but can be used to pay in full. In that case. There is no deposit.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Cannot be used as a deposit but can be used to pay in full. In that case. There is no deposit.

I just want to report back. I originally booked through a TA and he called today to ask me what option I chose. So I decided to rebook for the Thanksgiving week on the same itinerary, which is cheaper than the original one. My TA called Carnival about the FCC and OBC, and the result is that I don't have to put in any extra money. The remaining FCC was converted to OBC plus the $600 OBC. So looks like what other people said is true, you have to call either Cranival or call your TA. Carnival's fineprint is not very strict, which is good.