Canadian US borders

Ontario Cruiser

1 hour ago, Pinboy said:

Why would they give you anything for something you didn't pay for ???

Therefore , if you paid in full , you would have the option to receive either 100% credit to your credit card or 125% of what you paid in the form of a FCC.

If you only made a deposit , they will issue a FCC for the amount of the deposit.

The $125 NR was in CDN funds and booked at a reduced deposit for both my Mediterranean and Bermuda cruises.  Received FCC for the deposits. Full refund for the Mediterranean (May 30th out of Rome) and Bermuda had not yet made final payment. If borders are open and cruises start again I'll do Bermuda this summer but probably wishful thinking. Celebrity was surprised I was cancelling Bermuda stating final payment not due until April 9th.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Pinboy said:

With what's going on throughout the world , who the hell cares about cruising.

Better to think about your health, your family and friends , the economy , and your stock market portfolio.

Trust me, being concerned about " someone " getting access into Blu , who the Cruise Director or Captain is , or where to stay for one night before a cruise , really isn't THAT important at this time .

I would agree in the broad scheme of things it may not be that important, but it does possibly provide a much needed distraction from more dire issues to be able to speculate about future cruises, even if they aren't realistically going to happen.

43 minutes ago, hcat said:

Ha.. they were surprised......???

Perhaps they are sailing on the big river of DE NILE!

No kidding.  I think I'm more informed as to what's going on with CV than a lot of the Celebrity reps as I watch all the news.  I'll still take that Med cruise possibly next May also a Caribbean one just to use FCC and couple of flight vouchers as long as there are no further issues with air and cruise lines. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 6:42 PM, Nachosdelux said:

It would be most helpful (and you would get more accurate responses) if you would give some basic details, such as:

1. what cruise are you referring to (Ship/dates/embarkation & debarkation ports)

2.  where do you live, what is your citizenship, and how are you getting to/from the ship

good luck to you.

US/California citizens here -We're paid in full for a 5 night Pacific Northwest on the X Millennium  - 25 April 2020.- Out of Seattle of all places. We would've been flying out of San Jose, Ca. but with Canada borders closed *and* California on lockdown..it all seems rather ridiculous -They're still selling the cruise and it hasn't been cancelled. Would really like to get our money back at this point and T.A.'s only response is to keep watching the Celebrity site. 😐

Edited by amypet
  • Like 1

As far as I know the border is open. My brother goes to Canada for business quite often and last week he didnt notice any strict regulations or anything. He was just passing by as always. Maybe american plate number does its job, I dont know. In any case, for the cruiser it surely must be limited but I  would also like to hear which ports of Canada are open at the moment

4 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

As far as I know the border is open. My brother goes to Canada for business quite often and last week he didnt notice any strict regulations or anything. He was just passing by as always. Maybe american plate number does its job, I dont know. In any case, for the cruiser it surely must be limited but I  would also like to hear which ports of Canada are open at the moment

It's a recent change. Canada/US border closed to non-essential travel. 

13 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

That was last week. Now it's closed to individuals but trade transport is uneffected.

Take care,

Mike

38 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The border was closed at midnight on Friday. Unless his presence in Canada is deemed essential by Canadian authorities, he won't be crossing for the near future. 

The ports will be closed from April 2, 2020, to July 1, 2020, at the earliest. 

Edited by Fouremco
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The new change took effect midnight last night. Business and trade can cross.

I am dealing with this FCC situation now so I recently called Celebrity. IF the cruise is cancelled by Celebrity, not by you, you will be offered 125% in FCC on the cruise  portion of what you have paid, and the taxes and port fees will be refunded. The other choice is a 100% refund of whatever you have paid. The FCC can be applied to any other cruise, either a new booking or one that you have already booked. FCC has to be used by Dec. 31, 2021. 

I'm an Ontario cruiser as well, but I have shared enough tables with people from other countries to learn that it is wise to keep politics out of it. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2020 at 11:46 PM, babylene said:

The border will remain closed as long as there is a health threat.

As song as there is a health threat, there will be no cruises for anyone.

When it is safe to cruise again, it will be safe to reopen the borders.

International borders will reopen long before cruising restarts.  International traffic is a necessity.  Cruising is not.  Plus before any ship returns to operations it will need to be rectified health safe, crews retrained, and available ports reopened.

59 minutes ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

International borders will reopen long before cruising restarts.  International traffic is a necessity.  Cruising is not.  Plus before any ship returns to operations it will need to be rectified health safe, crews retrained, and available ports reopened.

Right now I think most people are delusional about cruises starting up before fall and possibly even later.  Unless there is a vaccine or a very effective treatment , how will a ship verify people are virus free - administer a pre boarding test to everyone?  Even if that happens if a person who has been in contact with thousands of others tests positive  that will mean they all are potentially infected.  Then what happens when people stop at ports?    As long as the virus is active I don't see how it will be controlled and all it will take is for one outbreak to happen again on a ship and the cruise industry will be in deeper trouble than they are now.

Edited by mek
  • Like 3

10 minutes ago, mek said:

Right now I think most people are delusional about cruises starting up before fall and possibly even later.  Unless there is a vaccine or a very effective treatment , how will a ship verify people are virus free - administer a pre boarding test to everyone?  Even if that happens if a person who has been in contact with thousands of others tests positive  that will mean they all are potentially infected.  Then what happens when people stop at ports?    As long as the virus is active I don't see how it will be controlled and all it will take is for one outbreak to happen again on a ship and the cruise industry will be in deeper trouble than they are now.

I'd say it will be 2021 before they cruise again. 

• Like 3

Drakes2 - finally a voice of reason. There are so many people that are convinced cruises are starting up as normal on April 11th. I just got off the phone with relatives in Italy ( near Venice) and everyone uses the same expression - “ it is an inferno”. If Europe is any indication, we haven’t begun to see the worst of it.

Sincerely a former Neighbour - used to live in Brampton

Edited by RD64
Spelling
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, mek said:

Totally agree.  How long until the virus is gone?  Not just fewer cases but gone. It will eventually happen.

At that point borders will open.  A vaccine is truly impossible for a year.  Multiple groups are examining various possibilities and 3 as of last week were is phase 1 trials.  A year would be a record for marketing a vaccine!

Cruising this summer?  Would like to hear an argument on how that would be possible.

Seems X is trying to get through this last group of cancellations before more cancellations. What seems irresponsible is to continue selling cruises in April and May that obviously will not happen.

How about freezing new reservations and upgrades, packages etc for those cruises and announce that X anticipates those will be cancelled.  When thing settle down (call volumes to X and TA)a bit they can cancel.

• Like 3

On 3/21/2020 at 12:55 PM, Roger88 said:

All Canadian seaports are closed to cruise ships until July 1st, as of now.

Border issues are very different and have nothing to do with port restrictions or closings.

1 hour ago, K12Guy said:

All Canadian seaports are closed to cruise ships until July 1st, as of now.

Border issues are very different and have nothing to do with port restrictions or closings.

Yes. You are correct, K12GUY, . I used the term border incorrectly.  I really meant  port. At this point, I’m wondering if it’s all for naught anyway. .can I even hope for a refund? *sigh* 

16 hours ago, amypet said:

Yes. You are correct, K12GUY, . I used the term border incorrectly.  I really meant  port. At this point, I’m wondering if it’s all for naught anyway. .can I even hope for a refund? *sigh* 

I was wondering. Hope I didn't come across as being critical. In any case, since you're booked for an April 20 sailing I will GUESS that Celebrity (aka X) will likely announce a new set of cancellations on or about the 10th, based on what happens with that pesky Covid creature in the next three weeks. Once X formally cancels the cruise then they should offer the 125% Future Cruise Credit OR 100% refund of all monies paid for the cancelled cruises, as is now happening. "Should", of course, being the operative term. It really depends on what the accounts say the cruise line (inclusive of all cruise lines) need to do to stay in business. The scary part is if X or other lines are forced into Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Then we ALL lose, some, if not all. of the money we have paid and there is little any of us can do about it.

Sorry I waxed on. Things are slow around the Collins ranch these days and I find myself quite bored.

29 minutes ago, K12Guy said:

I was wondering. Hope I didn't come across as being critical. In any case, since you're booked for an April 20 sailing I will GUESS that Celebrity (aka X) will likely announce a new set of cancellations on or about the 10th, based on what happens with that pesky Covid creature in the next three weeks. Once X formally cancels the cruise then they should offer the 125% Future Cruise Credit OR 100% refund of all monies paid for the cancelled cruises, as is now happening. "Should", of course, being the operative term. It really depends on what the accounts say the cruise line (inclusive of all cruise lines) need to do to stay in business. The scary part is if X or other lines are forced into Chapter 7 or Chapter 11 bankruptcy. Then we ALL lose, some, if not all. of the money we have paid and there is little any of us can do about it.

Sorry I waxed on. Things are slow around the Collins ranch these days and I find myself quite bored.

Not critical at all & not waxing on either. We’re pretty bored with being shut in here in California and I appreciate the Distraction as well as the clarification. Im only hoping that there will be enough $$ left in the ole X coffers for all of us to get refunds.