What is your favorite Holland America itinerary?

CptBoatface

I was fortunate enough to be able to do the South America w/Antarctica cruise three times. There aren't too many more of those allowed, so wish those who want to take this itinerary the opportunity to do so before it can't be done anymore. 

I have loved any and all of the itineraries in Norway, usually sailing from Amsterdam. It's as easy to get to/from as Alaska is, since I live on the east coast. The air is fresh and clean, the scenery gorgeous, and I don't even have to get off the ship to have a good time! 
Ports, though, are interesting, with a variety of city sizes, things to do, and activities. 

Unless someone absolutely MUST have a warm destination, this is a great place to go. 

• Like 3

While my favorite cruise ship is tied up in another venture, I was looking forward to trying some "iconic" HAL itineraries. 

• My 14-day "cruise around Japan" on Westerdam was canceled in April.

• I'm unsure what we will face on the 19-day Viking Passage TA, which includes Iceland and Greenland in August.

• I hold out strong hope for the January 2021 20-day South America and Antarctica, but time will tell....

These were all recommended to me by HAL cruisers as great experiences. I prefer to sail the Med on a different type of ship and while I've done the Baltic itinerary once, I have no real urge to do it again at this point...

Edited by cruisemom42

Oh so many fun itineraries. So many are on our bucket list when time finally permits. 

One of our favorites is not exotic but is an easier one to get to for many in N. America, Canada/NE. The ports offer lots for the independent traveller, the nature lover, the history buff, and great for families. The starting and stopping cities for HAL are Boston and Montreal, some world class easy to get around cities for history, culture, and food and its not hard to fill 2 whole days on either side of the cruise with great excursions and adventures. The airfares don't break the bank and the time in an airplane seat doesn't break.. ahem.. other things. Oh and lobster... mmmmm. Oh and also, the smaller ships do this cruise which is a big plus for some of us smaller ship fans.

Edited by fatcat04
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, RuthC said:

I was fortunate enough to be able to do the South America w/Antarctica cruise three times. There aren't too many more of those allowed, so wish those who want to take this itinerary the opportunity to do so before it can't be done anymore. 

I have loved any and all of the itineraries in Norway, usually sailing from Amsterdam. It's as easy to get to/from as Alaska is, since I live on the east coast. The air is fresh and clean, the scenery gorgeous, and I don't even have to get off the ship to have a good time! 
Ports, though, are interesting, with a variety of city sizes, things to do, and activities. 

Unless someone absolutely MUST have a warm destination, this is a great place to go. 

I agree with Ruth on Norway.  The fjords are like a dream to cruise on when the weather is clear and sunny.  We did the 14 day to the top, Nord Kap, on the S class Ryndam in 2013 and is still a favorite memory.  Captain Timmers said in his sailaway message from the bridge: As we leave today we are first going to the left and then to the right and then back to the left again and so forth until we find the Ocean which, trust me, we will.  The waterfalls and the green foliage  dotted with red houses in June were spectacular.

That said, there are many beautiful areas of the world.

• Thanks 1

I think my favorite was San Diego to Auckland, New Zealand, seeing Hawaii, several stops in Australia, lots of islands, and a lot of New Zealand on the way.  It was just incredibly beautiful watching the change of sea and sky as one progressed from the Northern Hemisphere to the Southern Hemisphere.  It was the most naturally gorgeous cruise we have done.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My number one favorite and most memorable was our 10 day Med cruise 19 years ago Barcelona to Venice.  We went in May and the weather was perfect, the sea was like glass and the color of the water was like nothing I had ever seen.  The itinerary was interesting, historical and beautiful.  We missed Athens due to a strike but got to go to a little Greek island instead, Potmos, and my huband and I still talk about that island after all these years. 

Second would be our full transit Panama Canal cruise 20 years ago.  We were on the Volendam and it was her first canal sailing.  It was hot and super humid so everyone's cup of tea.

Third would be New England/Canada New York to Quebec City.  Sailing out of New York was quite an overwhelming experience.

On 3/18/2020 at 2:36 PM, St Pete Cruiser said:

I agree with Ruth on Norway.  

Assuming you like Alaska for the scenery and cooler weather, then you will love any of the Norway/Iceland/Greenland itineraries.  The round trips out of Amsterdam are the best, great hotel right next to the cruise terminal. Just walk on board when your ready, your luggage is handled for you.

1 minute ago, ski ww said:

For something different & out of the ordinary was the Black Sea on the Prinsendam, Istanbul and ports on the Black Sea which you would not ordinarily do.

Would have loved to do that one, especially on Prinsendam...

1 hour ago, ski ww said:

For something different & out of the ordinary was the Black Sea on the Prinsendam, Istanbul and ports on the Black Sea which you would not ordinarily do.

We were lucky enough to sail on the Prinsendam to the Black Sea followed by the Holy Land.  Outstanding cruise!  Fall of 2014, and our first Prinsendam cruise.  We were hooked!

Although we love the long, over three week cruises in the Med, we were blown away by the circumnavigation of Japan last spring during cherry blossom time.  The people and sites were amazing and it was just enough out of our comfort zone to make it totally memorable.   

• Like 1