refundable onboard credit

Chicagobearfan

For the first time ever we disembarked a ship with several hundred dollars of refundable onboard credit in our account.  When can we expect to see that credit and do we need to do anything to recover it?  I don't even want to consider calling Princess because I am sure their lines are busy with all is currently ongoing.

Normally they will send you a check.  It comes in a plain envelope, so don't throw it away by accident.  Under normal circumstances, it can take anywhere from two to six weeks.  I wouldn't even try to guess how long it will take under the current circumstances. 

Edited by partybarbie

Received the check from my Dec-Jan cruise in mid-Feb.  Still awaiting check from Feb cruise on the GRAND.  Suspect it may be delayed a bit.  Don’t call Princess but do open plain envelopes that seem unimportant.  They will not have any Princess markings.

It will be in an envelope from BottomLine Technologies.  Mine have always come within a couple weeks after my sailing.  

If you feel like it is running longer than it should be, you can contact Bottomline Technologies at: 

RegionUS and Canada
Contact Emailmemberservices@paymode-x.com
Phone Number+1 877.443.6944
Phone HoursMonday - Friday 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM ET

https://www.bottomline.com/us/products/bottomline-paymode-x

I had to contact them once and they are so helpful.  Mine was a case of seeing the envelope scanned into my informed delivery from USPS ... but, I didn't receive it anytime that week, so I knew it was either stuck somewhere at the post office or delivered to the wrong address.  Bottomline assured me that they would send out a new check to me if I still hadn't received it after another week.  Luckily, the PO finally delivered it several days later.  What's nice about this, you won't even have to call Princess as this company is completely separate and cover many other companies and services.  They answer the phone immediately, are professional yet friendly and their follow up was excellent ... so easy to work with! 

• Like 2

Bear in mind there are two types of OBC - Refundable and non-refundable.  Your Travel summary will have the detail of each.  Someone above mentioned coming in the mail but I thought they would credit back to your credit card.

Edited by Ereggae

1 hour ago, Ereggae said:

Bear in mind there are two types of OBC - Refundable and non-refundable.  Your Travel summary will have the detail of each.  Someone above mentioned coming in the mail but I thought they would credit back to your credit card.

Money can only be credited to your credit card if that was the source. The refund always comes by check.

• Like 1

Our last cruise ended in January, I still haven't seen the refundable OBC check.  I usually get it in about 3-4 weeks (that has long ago past in my case), but I think Princess is busy with more critical issues.  I still think I will get it, but it might be a while.

UPDATE to my previous reply:   I just called Bottomline and they verified that the check went out Monday (yes, check is in the mail .... so they say).  Therefore I would think I would get it within another week.   Thank you CRUISE RAIDER for the information on Bottomline (I never thought to check with them, and I didn't want to bother Princess in the middle of all this mess).

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cruising deacon said:

Our last cruise ended in January, I still haven't seen the refundable OBC check.  I usually get it in about 3-4 weeks (that has long ago past in my case), but I think Princess is busy with more critical issues.  I still think I will get it, but it might be a while.

UPDATE to my previous reply:   I just called Bottomline and they verified that the check went out Monday (yes, check is in the mail .... so they say).  Therefore I would think I would get it within another week.   Thank you CRUISE RAIDER for the information on Bottomline (I never thought to check with them, and I didn't want to bother Princess in the middle of all this mess).

I'm happy to hear this helped out.  

The few times we have actually gotten money back, it has come by check.  They used to send it out in a nondescript envelope that looks like junk mail.  At least now they use a marked envelope so that one does not think it is junk mail. 

Thanks to all of you for the replies.  Our refund of the onboard credit came today by check from Bottomline.  It has been about 3 1/2 weeks since we disembarked the Crown Princess.   I think the reason this came in a timely manner was because it came from a third party, Bottomline, rather than from Princess.  I hope that the many Princess customers who have had their cruises cancelled will have success in getting their monies returned as quickly as possible.  

On 3/18/2020 at 11:07 AM, Cruise Raider said:

It will be in an envelope from BottomLine Technologies.  Mine have always come within a couple weeks after my sailing.  

If you feel like it is running longer than it should be, you can contact Bottomline Technologies at: 

RegionUS and Canada
Contact Emailmemberservices@paymode-x.com
Phone Number+1 877.443.6944
Phone HoursMonday - Friday 8:00 AM - 8:00 PM ET

https://www.bottomline.com/us/products/bottomline-paymode-x

I had to contact them once and they are so helpful.  Mine was a case of seeing the envelope scanned into my informed delivery from USPS ... but, I didn't receive it anytime that week, so I knew it was either stuck somewhere at the post office or delivered to the wrong address.  Bottomline assured me that they would send out a new check to me if I still hadn't received it after another week.  Luckily, the PO finally delivered it several days later.  What's nice about this, you won't even have to call Princess as this company is completely separate and cover many other companies and services.  They answer the phone immediately, are professional yet friendly and their follow up was excellent ... so easy to work with! 

Great to know this! Thank you ☺

• Like 1

I got off Sapphire Princess on 13 February (cruise cancelled halfway through) and received it on Thursday (19th).   Paid Aus $560 for US $400 of OBC and due to our dollar dropping against the US dollar, my cheque was for $646.69.   Best return I've had for a long time.

I am wondering why it is taking longer for some to receive their refundable onboard credit versus others.  Our cruise ended on Feb. 25th and the check from Bottomline Technologies came last weekend-less that 4 weeks from the end of our cruise.   One thought I had was maybe it depended on where the onboard credit originated, even though both were fully refundable.  We received onboard credit from FCC, military service, ports missed so port charges refunded, taxes refunded as a result, good will credit from Princess for missing these ports and having time in ports adjusted, and finally a huge chunk of onboard credit from a big box store where we purchased our cruise through their travel department.   We used up all of the Princess onboard credit including some which was fully refundable.  What was left was from the big box store.  I am wondering if the credit is coming from that which originated with Princess, even though it may be fully refundable, maybe those monies are delayed longer because of all the cancellations that Princess has to process at this time.  Just a thought.

• 2 months later...

Just wanted to give some hope to others waiting on their refunds.

We got off the Ruby Princess in Sydney on 11th February  and just received a cheque today for our refundable onboard credit. It arrived in a mark envelope from Carnival Australia. I did send an email on 01 May to Department, Customer Relations (PCL) <customerrelations@princesscruises.com>, to which I received an automatic reply, and nothing else.

Much slower than expected, but it has arrived, and I know they are dealing with lots of refunds at the moment.