What about the crew?

Waju

This may have already been spoken about, the threads about the dreaded virus are so long now but what will happen to all of the wonderful crew members when the ships get back to Southampton?  There are going to be a good few thousand who need to get home to all corners of the world - are there even flights available to all these places?

9 minutes ago, Waju said:

This may have already been spoken about, the threads about the dreaded virus are so long now but what will happen to all of the wonderful crew members when the ships get back to Southampton?  There are going to be a good few thousand who need to get home to all corners of the world - are there even flights available to all these places?

This I think must be of the greatest concern to the cruise industry.

Getting them to and fro and most importantly, virus free!

We wish all the crew's the best of luck, and may, their God, keep them and their family and love ones, safe.

Thank you for looking after us.

• Like 5

I sincerely hope and pray that the many wonderful crew we have met over the years are well and can safely get home to their families.  Our first world problems with not being able to get exactly what we want is nothing compared to the devastating effect that potentially having no income will have while this virus affects the world.

Edited by Josy1953
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I think we should all offer the crew temporary accommodation, at least I will get pointy toilet roll... 😊

Joking aside, it must be a major worry for those lovely people and our thoughts are with them. 

It seems P&O are allowing them to stay onboard as it must be near on impossible to get flights... 

Andy 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

I think we should all offer the crew temporary accommodation, at least I will get pointy toilet roll... 😊

Joking aside, it must be a major worry for those lovely people and our thoughts are with them. 

It seems P&O are allowing them to stay onboard as it must be near on impossible to get flights... 

Andy 

So you are the lucky one with a toilet roll 🧻 🤣

• Like 3

Have read elsewhere that the crew will be staying on board and deep cleaning.  Makes sense imo .  Maybe bring forward routine maintenance.  As for Azura, maybe do something about the awful smell she's been suffering as apparently she will not being going in for refit after her return from the Caribbean.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cathygh said:

I have heard they will keep some crew on board as they need to keep the ships in a seaworthy condition. They can start to decay quite quickly apparently.

Cathy

I understood that P&O were letting the crew stay aboard too. It makes sense really because the ships will already have food loaded on board. I only hope they let them occupy the cabins as well so they have more space. They deserve it.

Avril 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks everyone for your replies.  I really hope the crews either get home safely or get well looked after in Southampton.  They all work so very hard for all of us when we are on holiday.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There is an article about this on the Q&A page. It seems that the crew has to keep looking after the ship, including running the water in the cabins, so that everything is in best condition when cruisers can return.

Somewhere there's a video of the captain on a Celebrity ship telling the crew they can all have a guest stateroom, accompanied by great cheers! 

• Like 3

Aurora now on her way, leaving Ventura billy no mates.

Balmoral & Black Watch both at anchor outside Rosyth.  Feel a bit sorry for those crews.

Anyone know if the crews of ships alongside are confined or are they able to go ashore when they're off duty?

5 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Aurora now on her way, leaving Ventura billy no mates.

Balmoral & Black Watch both at anchor outside Rosyth.  Feel a bit sorry for those crews.

Anyone know if the crews of ships alongside are confined or are they able to go ashore when they're off duty?

I would assume that they could go ashore, so long as nobody had shown any coronavirus symptoms. Certainly when Aurora docked at Southampton on Monday, the captain announced that the crew could go into town once they were free.

It’s interesting to see what other cruise lines are doing. I follow the Celebrity Edge Captain, Captain Kate McCue on Instagram. She has posted a lot of photos and videos of the crew enjoying the ship whilst it’s empty. They have also given them all cabins to stay in until further notice! (Hashtag #JustCrewIt on Instagram if anyone uses it) 

I guess the difference is the Edge is at anchor Nassau, P&O are sending all back to Southampton! Bit of a change in weather. 

I really hope P&O are letting their crew do something similar! 

12 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Boudicca already in Dover, Black Watch approaching Rosyth.  Looks like at least four cruise ships in Tilbury, most in the commercial port.

Looks like those in Southampton have got the best deal.

Yes, Tilbury has both Saga ships and Viking Star; CMV Magellan is at her dock, too.

A quick check on the others:

Oceana & Aurora: alongside in Dover

Britannia: Off the Cornish coast.  Should be in Southampton tomorrow

Azura: Started her transatlantic from Bridgetown yesterday.  Must be a bit weird with no pax.

Arcadia: Somewhere between Australia & South Africa