What about the crew?

Waju

There has been a major scandal about the way one hotel chain has treated its staff, all over the press. I think that most employers will look at the reputational damage this caused to that group and if they are not dong the right thing by their staff, start to.

I would image that many crew can’t get home so hope they are enjoying the facilities on the ships meantime.

14 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

There has been a major scandal about the way one hotel chain has treated its staff, all over the press. I think that most employers will look at the reputational damage this caused to that group and if they are not dong the right thing by their staff, start to.

I would image that many crew can’t get home so hope they are enjoying the facilities on the ships meantime.

I think that hotel chain have now backtracked, putting it down to some sort of error

1 hour ago, barriead said:

Hi SoA, is there a website or something allowing you to see this info?

Hi Barrie,

Yes. Just go to:

marinetraffic.com/

Pretty much most vessels that have got there AIS beacon switched on will show up.

You can search by ship's name and ports.

19 hours ago, Eglesbrech said:

They have backtracked but I suspect the damage has already been done. 

If it is the chain I saw mentioned on the news, they couldn't damage their reputation much more - they have have a pretty bad one for some years...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Britboys said:

If it is the chain I saw mentioned on the news, they couldn't damage their reputation much more - they have have a pretty bad one for some years...

It’s not a hotel chain that I have ever used and now I certainly would not use them.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Have you seen the video on the white arrow surrounded by red. 

Cruise ship emp during coronavirus pandemic.

Ship and life.

There is a couple more words before "during" Not sure how much I am allowed to write. Hope you can figure it out. 

Its like trying to keep track of marbles in Southampton..they come in..they go out...they go round in circles, dump grey water, have a look at  Weymouth, and then come back in again. For some reason when Britannia last went out she went with all horns going..not sure why..Memory of better times.She'll be back.  I feel rather sorry for the people on Arcadia..life is a bit different than when they left in January. 

There maybe some smuggling of toilet rolls going on. I suggested they all get haircuts before leaving..Hairdressers is shut on board..so they can join the rest of us,,

• Like 1

1 hour ago, the english lady said:

Its like trying to keep track of marbles in Southampton..they come in..they go out...they go round in circles, dump grey water, have a look at  Weymouth, and then come back in again. For some reason when Britannia last went out she went with all horns going..not sure why..Memory of better times.She'll be back.  I feel rather sorry for the people on Arcadia..life is a bit different than when they left in January. 

There maybe some smuggling of toilet rolls going on. I suggested they all get haircuts before leaving..Hairdressers is shut on board..so they can join the rest of us,,

Bizarrely, from the posts I've read, I would quite like to be on Arcadia right now!  Stock up teas & coffees as well as loo rolls...

4 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Bizarrely, from the posts I've read, I would quite like to be on Arcadia right now!  Stock up teas & coffees as well as loo rolls...

Must be one of the safest places on earth! I guess there will be plenty of concern about what is happening at home though.

Edited by pete14

13 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

As I said before, knowing what we know here, if I was onboard, virus free and plenty of stocks, I would be asking to go round again... 😊

Joking aside, they have all the worries of getting home from port, stocking up etc. 

It will be like entering a different world for them... 

Andy 

• Like 1

There was the couple having to work out how to get back to Cornwall. They had flown to southampton with flybe..realised that wouldn't work going back.another couple had already got a taxi booked..in advance before going that would be going that way. I suggested that would be safer than trains and changing stations. Went out this morning for the first time in ages..to the shops..nothing wrong..just didnt need to go..things have changed. Do you think once "things are back to normal" the "older" cruisers will decide not to do any long trips..and the worldies will be a thing of the past.

11 minutes ago, the english lady said:

Do you think once "things are back to normal" the "older" cruisers will decide not to do any long trips..and the worldies will be a thing of the past.

I sincerely hope that worldies do not become a thing of the past.  Booked on Arcadia's for 2021! 

For us, it's our one-off retirement treat.  Hopefully this will be done with to the extent that we can still go.

That said, I think that the number of pax doing worldies these days is less than previously.  From what I've read, these days its about 400-600 pax going all the way round, whereas years ago (not sure how many though), it would be the majority.  Please set me straight if incorrect.

No idea. It used to be something we dreamed about but we have done a 28 day caribbean transatlantic and thought this is too long for us.another I liked was 21 day to the eastern med..would be nice to do another of those. We are now booked on the round uk one next year. That is another good one.

30 minutes ago, the english lady said:

No idea. It used to be something we dreamed about but we have done a 28 day caribbean transatlantic and thought this is too long for us.another I liked was 21 day to the eastern med..would be nice to do another of those. We are now booked on the round uk one next year. That is another good one.

We did a 24 night eastern med on Oceana in 2011 which coincided with the Arab spring. Lybia, Alexandria and Egypt were obviously changed to to Malta, Turkey and Cyprus and Israel was slightly changed. Nevertheless we had a wonderful time, but I think 4 weeks would be our absolute maximum for a cruise.

Avril 

48 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Just had that for a light lunch today Avril, with a cup of Yorkshire tea though.

Beans!! Did you say beans. Real baked beans?? Are you shopping on the blackmarket John? 😆

Avril 

• Like 1