The new medically-fit-to travel forms for passengers 70 and older

joeinsb

1 hour ago, Pcardad said:

I would be willing to bet that Regent is fighting this tooth and nail with NCL right now due to average passenger age...and the current form is "under review".

One would hope.... On the lighter side, here in the desert (CA), grocery stores are letting in people over 65 in an hour before anyone else for safety,😇well, that would be 65% to 75% of the population here. Nice Idea, but........

I am the person you are all talking about. 
A older person with compromised health issues 

I have been cruising for years with my condition.

My doctors have always encouraged me to continue to travel.
I know how to take care of myself.

Now, they might forbid me to board a ship after this crisis has passed. 
Nonsense!

BTW... will Regent refund my FCC because they will not let me sail?

Lots of  interesting questions....

Sheila

• Like 1

I was told if you bought the cruise before the medical waiver was instituted and you are refused boarding because of this then you will be 100% reimbursed. Ask your TA to call Regent and ask them this question. If you don't have a TA, you call and ask for it in writing.

7 hours ago, Pcardad said:

I was told if you bought the cruise before the medical waiver was instituted and you are refused boarding because of this then you will be 100% reimbursed. Ask your TA to call Regent and ask them this question. If you don't have a TA, you call and ask for it in writing.

Did this policy ever take effect?  I'm not sure.  Regent's letter to us  said that it would be implemented but that our cruise (the cancelled March 14th cruise was exempt).  Since there has not been any cruises departing since March 13th, I question whether this means it did or did not take effect.  

It is clearly a discriminatory policy (in the U.S. - not sure about anywhere else),.  

9 minutes ago, Travelcat2 said:

Did this policy ever take effect?  I'm not sure.  Regent's letter to us  said that it would be implemented but that our cruise (the cancelled March 14th cruise was exempt).  Since there has not been any cruises departing since March 13th, I question whether this means it did or did not take effect.  

It is clearly a discriminatory policy (in the U.S. - not sure about anywhere else),.  

It never took effect. It is not on the website anywhere, nor on NCL's site either. 

See  my post #11 above.

J

On 3/21/2020 at 10:34 AM, Pcardad said:

I would be willing to bet that Regent is fighting this tooth and nail with NCL right now due to average passenger age...and the current form is "under review".

I really do not think that the form will take effect.  Maybe it is wishful thinking but, as Rick posted, it makes no sense.  

28 minutes ago, boblerm said:

Certainly the proposed new "age policy" was not well thought out, not vetted by respective legal departments, was not "run past" the federal government's anti-age discrimination laws (along with ADA compliance), and lacked any semblance of common sense.  This looks like some "proud CYA product" of some group of corporate millennial/Gen X stooges somewhere, who just wanted to "get something out there" quickly. 

If a 70+ year old traveler was denied boarding on a particular ship because they had diabetes or HIV....giving them a FCC for use later on, would do absolutely nothing to "solve or address" that individual's problem as presumably, they'd still have the "same diabetes or HIV condition" 6 months, 1 year, or 2 years later!  That FCC would do nothing for them.  Nothing less than a full cash refund would come even close to mitigating the situation, and it still would not address all the other related expenses (travel, return flights, hotel stays, etc,) that the "rejected" cruiser would incur.

As others have said, if that "doctor-signed health certificate" requirement became actual policy in the cruise industry, it would have to be published, known and formally signed/acknowledged by any would-be travelers before one dollar (pound, etc.) was accepted prior to initial booking, and certainly before any "final payment" could be required (or collected) by any cruise line or TA, unless they had a signed "acceptance" of those terms on file for each passenger who would turn 70 anytime after initial deposit was made and before the booked cruise ended.

And in the course of implementing such a policy, the cruise lines would be "kissing away" upwards of 60% (conservatively) of their most affluent and loyal customer base.  "Good Luck" with that!  I'm almost 73, in "perfect health" (for a 73 year old), and I would never submit such a form to anyone.  And hence, would never cruise again - and would never look back! Regards to all.

• Like 2

Their latest Covid-19 statement belies all of this, but is still scary in spots:

https://www.rssc.com/coronavirus-statement?fbclid=IwAR0bvadMTkn8EVCzKnRNHDzN3y3-T-Cq6-jn00uIGYxAuY0JueU3asUaBH4

especially the part about banning those with respiratory problems.  And it would seem that by April 11th, the U.S. would qualify as a " region identified by the CDC as having widespread ongoing transmission". 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, pingpong1 said:

As others have said, if that "doctor-signed health certificate" requirement became actual policy in the cruise industry, it would have to be published, known and formally signed/acknowledged by any would-be travelers before one dollar (pound, etc.) was accepted prior to initial booking, and certainly before any "final payment" could be required (or collected) by any cruise line or TA, unless they had a signed "acceptance" of those terms on file for each passenger who would turn 70 anytime after initial deposit was made and before the booked cruise ended.

And don't forget, sincerely doubt any Doctor would risk their license or malpractice insurance signing such a stupid document.  A full and complete non-starter that completely eliminates anyone over 70 from cruising Regent.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, rallydave said:

And don't forget, sincerely doubt any Doctor would risk their license or malpractice insurance signing such a stupid document.  A full and complete non-starter that completely eliminates anyone over 70 from cruising Regent.

agree. This form is/was a short sighted "thing" to CYA.  Aside from the fact that it might stop 60% of Regent cruisers (just my estimate, don't want to make us guests look older..:-) ) from booking with Regent, it would have to be made very clear at booking. You can't have passengers book, then, after cruise has been paid for and all is set, spring this on them (us). If at the last moment, physicians don't sign...insurance would not pick up etc. 

This would have to be clearly communicated before or at time of booking. 

But then...these are interesting times and many times, people shoot from the hip before thinking it through

4 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Their latest Covid-19 statement belies all of this, but is still scary in spots:

https://www.rssc.com/coronavirus-statement?fbclid=IwAR0bvadMTkn8EVCzKnRNHDzN3y3-T-Cq6-jn00uIGYxAuY0JueU3asUaBH4

especially the part about banning those with respiratory problems.  And it would seem that by April 11th, the U.S. would qualify as a " region identified by the CDC as having widespread ongoing transmission". 

I have read this and cannot find where I am banned because of my respiratory issues. Our next cruise is November 2020. 
Where is that statement?

Sheila

29 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

I have read this and cannot find where I am banned because of my respiratory issues. Our next cruise is November 2020. 
Where is that statement?

Sheila

Sheila, it’s the last bullet point in the denial of boarding section of the document. It states: 

• “All persons who have reported on the Pre-Embarkation Public Health Questionnaire or who appear symptomatic, are feeling unwell, are exhibiting flu-like symptoms, exhibit difficulty breathing or have chronic pulmonary or respiratory conditions.”

I wouldn’t worry about it. Assuming the cruise goes, I’m sure we’ll both be on it.

Dave

Edited by DaveFr

1 hour ago, DaveFr said:

Sheila, it’s the last bullet point in the denial of boarding section of the document. It states: 

• “All persons who have reported on the Pre-Embarkation Public Health Questionnaire or who appear symptomatic, are feeling unwell, are exhibiting flu-like symptoms, exhibit difficulty breathing or have chronic pulmonary or respiratory conditions.”

I wouldn’t worry about it. Assuming the cruise goes, I’m sure we’ll both be on it.

Dave

Thanks Dave...
I reread it and see it. So I guess we shall wait and see. Interesting!  It says if I will not be allowed to board, I will get a FCC. That is ridiculous. If I can’t sail on Regent, they should be required to do a cash refund. I think they did not think this through 

Time will tell. 
sheila

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Where is that statement?

Sheila

Extracted from the link above:

"Denial of boarding will occur in the following cases:

All persons who have reported on the Pre-Embarkation Public Health Questionnaire or who appear symptomatic, are feeling unwell, are exhibiting flu-like symptoms, exhibit difficulty breathing or have chronic pulmonary or respiratory conditions."

8 minutes ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Sheila, I agree with you about the refunds.  And what good is an FCC if those new rules were to remain in place indefinitely?

Wendy, I agree with you; if these are forever rules then FCC doesn't help.  In addition, I have yet to find a real definition for chronic respiratory conditions.  I think anyone with asthma is now banned but what about people that suffer from bronchitis?  I am glad to see no mention of age and no mention of diabetes.  I know that some cruise lines have a great business providing kidney dialysis at sea; wouldn't a patient needed nightly dialysis be of more risk than someone with asthma?

There is a lot of time for these to be modified before we sail again; but I wonder about those with final payment coming due for cruises in the fall.

Marc

1 minute ago, mrlevin said:

In addition, I have yet to find a real definition for chronic respiratory conditions.  I think anyone with asthma is now banned but what about people that suffer from bronchitis?  I am glad to see no mention of age and no mention of diabetes.  I know that some cruise lines have a great business providing kidney dialysis at sea; wouldn't a patient needed nightly dialysis be of more risk than someone with asthma?

I admit I had no idea you could get dialysis at sea, Marc!  

"Pulmonary and Respiratory", which is rather redundant, although strictly speaking, pulmonary is lungs whereas respiratory could be bronchial tubes, etc.  I'm sure it encompasses COPD, for example.

If cruise lines deny people 70 and over to jump through hoops in order to be allowed to sail, they will be hurting themselves.  On cruise lines such as Seabourn, Regent, Silversea, Crystal, etc. probably the majority of the passengers are 70 and over-- so they would be losing an incredible amount of revenue by excluding this age demographic.  It would not bode well for them.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Phillygirl3 said:

If cruise lines deny people 70 and over to jump through hoops in order to be allowed to sail, they will be hurting themselves.  On cruise lines such as Seabourn, Regent, Silversea, Crystal, etc. probably the majority of the passengers are 70 and over-- so they would be losing an incredible amount of revenue by excluding this age demographic.  It would not bode well for them.

This is a repeat of what I have posted on another thread.  The requirement to have a doctor verify that people over 70 are fit to cruise never took effect.  We are booked on a May cruise (likely will not happen) and all they want is for passengers to fill out a form prior to boarding (all ages).  This is the same as has been done for several years.  I believe that they will take temperatures.  

The proposed plan was discriminatory.  Either they had to require the doctor's form for every passenger or no passenger.  So, as of now, this is a dead issue (as is this thread).  

Let me just repeat my little excerpt from the RSSC website.  If this becomes permanent, we're "out":

"Denial of boarding will occur in the following cases:

All persons ...[who] have chronic pulmonary or respiratory conditions."

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer
  • Like 1

On 3/26/2020 at 7:46 PM, Travelcat2 said:

This is a repeat of what I have posted on another thread.  The requirement to have a doctor verify that people over 70 are fit to cruise never took effect.  We are booked on a May cruise (likely will not happen) and all they want is for passengers to fill out a form prior to boarding (all ages).  This is the same as has been done for several years.  I believe that they will take temperatures.  

The proposed plan was discriminatory.  Either they had to require the doctor's form for every passenger or no passenger.  So, as of now, this is a dead issue (as is this thread).  

Unfortunately this is not a dead issue based on reports from other cruise lines that still have this requirement in place plus this was initially brought forward by the CLIA which covers all or almost all cruise lines in the world and has not been removed by them..

Fully agree this was not well thought out nor fair nor possible as the medical profession will not either be available while the pandemic is going on nor willing to risk their licenses or malpractice insurance.  Just because it never made Regent's website since no ships have sailed since the notification of the form it is likely based on other cruise lines keeping the requirement that it is just a matter of time before the form reappears on Regent's website and is a requirement before boarding ships.

We'll see this play out once the first ships are scheduled to sail no matter the cruise line so for sure the issue is alive and waiting for the first scheduled sailing and this thread is and should be alive with thoughts and information as to how this new requirement is implemented once ships start sailing again. 

1 minute ago, Pcardad said:

If Regent puts this policy into place AFTER booking and BEFORE putting it into the contract they are going to be refunding a lot of cruises. 

Agree and that goes for all of the cruise lines if this becomes the norm.  I do know that RCL and their various brands still have this requirement on the books.

The think is there have been and continue to be changes to the terms and conditions because of this pandemic and nobody is complaining when they are implemented and possibly because of the extenuating circumstances this change will also be allowed to be implemented and even for cruises booked after this policy is implemented there should be refunds as no way for people to know if they will qualify to cruise when the time comes.

Once things become more stable would think changes would need to be implemented in this letter requirement as it was not well thought out before being presented by CLIA.