Are Alaska cruises cancelled?

camarowesley

According to Carnival two days ago, the Alaska cruises were continuing as planned, but now I see that may not be true. Cruise hive is reporting the crew is having to disembark and scheduled cruises are cancelled. Makes sense considering Canada has closed their borders to large ships. Has anyone received an email from Carnival? I haven't, but would like to know one way or the other so I can cancel flights, etc.  Article link is  below.

https://www.cruisehive.com/the-crew-to-disembark-carnival-cruise-ship-out-of-service-for-some-time/38513

37 minutes ago, camarowesley said:

According to Carnival two days ago, the Alaska cruises were continuing as planned, but now I see that may not be true. Cruise hive is reporting the crew is having to disembark and scheduled cruises are cancelled. Makes sense considering Canada has closed their borders to large ships. Has anyone received an email from Carnival? I haven't, but would like to know one way or the other so I can cancel flights, etc.  Article link is  below.

https://www.cruisehive.com/the-crew-to-disembark-carnival-cruise-ship-out-of-service-for-some-time/38513

That article is about the Carnival Spirit.  It doesn't talk about Miracle which is also going to do Alaska sailings.  We are scheduled for a B2B on Miracle beginning May 7th, then on May 11th to AK for a 10 day.  We are waiting, but I think we will cancel next week.  I doubt they are up & running by May 7th. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Banditswife said:

That article is about the Carnival Spirit.  It doesn't talk about Miracle which is also going to do Alaska sailings.  We are scheduled for a B2B on Miracle beginning May 7th, then on May 11th to AK for a 10 day.  We are waiting, but I think we will cancel next week.  I doubt they are up & running by May 7th. 

They are closing their borders to ALL cruise ships till 7/1.  They do not care what the name of the ship is.  Another blow to the industry.  

• Like 3

My sister and her family live in Anchorage and all the small mom and pop shops are not ramping up purchases just yet.  They are crossing their fingers travel and tourists will start arriving this spring/summer, but worried it wont.  As they say, as oil goes, so does Alaska and right now, both oil and tourism are hurting.

There is talk of foregoing the PSVA (?) act for a few AK sailings.  But I seriously doubt that we will go to Alaska.  Our PVP says that our cruise has no itinerary changes as of yesterday, but she went on to say that we would be notified of any changes by email.  With another ship having COVID19,  I do not hold out hope for May, 2020

No one knows anything concrete yet, here is a quote from JH facebook page in regards to this. Chris is the CCO of Carnival. It does look like the cruisehive article might have been a mistake or mixup.

JOHN: Alaska cruises are at the forefront of many because of the ban on cruise shipping by the Canadian government. Can you assure those booked and who wish to book that we are looking at all the possibilities to keep our Alaskan season going?

CHRIS: We’re working through this issue, like a number of other ones. While the Canadian government has prohibited cruise operations, we are looking at some options to allow our Alaskan itineraries to operate. We had a mix-up in a communication with the Spirit crew that raised some questions, but as of today, there are no decisions to be made or communicated. One of those topics under the “sorry, we can’t say more at this time” topics, even though we realize our guests have questions.

FWIW you can't book any sailings to Alaska on the Carnival website until July. If you search for an Alaskan cruise in April, May or June you get a message that "There aren't any cruises with the details you searched for

Edited by lderochi
typo

5 hours ago, lderochi said:

FWIW you can't book any sailings to Alaska on the Carnival website until July. If you search for an Alaskan cruise in April, May or June you get a message that "There aren't any cruises with the details you searched for

I was told by my PVP that an announcement will be made on Friday.

12 hours ago, lderochi said:

Or NCL, or Princess,  or RCCL or anyone else 

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Or NCL, or Princess,  or RCCL or anyone else 

Nope, Princess, HAL and NCL are still accepting bookings for May and June Alaska bookings. Which is ridiculous. I mean,  You know they’re gonna cancel them, but they’re still booking them. Disney is the same as Carnival, RCCL and Celebrity, no Alaska bookings until July. 

• Like 1

We have an Alaska cruise booked on the Miracle in August from San Francisco...if you look, no sailings available from SF until next year. I feel like it has more to do with the port of SF rather than Alaska but will find out.

8 minutes ago, pinto18 said:

We have an Alaska cruise booked on the Miracle in August from San Francisco...if you look, no sailings available from SF until next year. I feel like it has more to do with the port of SF rather than Alaska but will find out.

The Spirit is currently the only ship on the Carnival website showing Alaska cruises this summer. Those listings begin on July 7. The Spirit cruises from Australia to Honolulu,  Honolulu to Vancouver and early Alaska have all been cancelled. Any extension of port closures could just put an end to the Alaska season for Carnival. 

On 3/27/2020 at 12:10 PM, pinto18 said:

The Miracle was supposed to sail out of SF starting in April...some Alaska sailings and some Mexico...they are all gone until 2021 which is why I think its the SF port

Princess has RT Alaskan cruises from San Francisco in August on their site still

On 3/19/2020 at 10:11 AM, lovecarnivalcruises said:

If Canada does not open ports till July 7, then all Alaska cruises before that will have to be cancelled. It is a requirement to make a stop in another country.

On 3/19/2020 at 10:59 AM, Banditswife said:

There is talk of foregoing the PSVA (?) act for a few AK sailings.  But I seriously doubt that we will go to Alaska.  Our PVP says that our cruise has no itinerary changes as of yesterday, but she went on to say that we would be notified of any changes by email.  With another ship having COVID19,  I do not hold out hope for May, 2020

Even with a PVSA waiver, the Port of Seattle is closed so it will be difficult. Royal Caribbean and Celebrity have suspended Alaska until at least Canada is reopened.

Edited by xDisconnections

On 3/27/2020 at 12:30 PM, pusywillow said:

Carnival's decision on Alaska is now backed up until March 30.  I have a cruise booked from SF June 8 so I will be watching for it to be cancelled.

Has a decision been made on Alaska?  I have one booked for June 8.

4 minutes ago, pusywillow said:

Has a decision been made on Alaska?  I have one booked for June 8.

No - with today's update nothing has been provided about Alaska and if you ask Carnival they just reply with a canned response.

I don't blame the social media / customer service reps but the execs need to do a better job.

Alaska cruises seem to have been removed from Carnival site - my June 9 out of Seattle doesn't show up anymore.

The least they can do is provide some update as to what they are planning. Truthfully though, even if they somehow do sail - I would rather pass. Don't want to be around so many people just yet - all it takes is one straggler who is positive for the virus to restart the whole thing...