Are Alaska cruises cancelled?

camarowesley

2 minutes ago, webzila said:

No - with today's update nothing has been provided about Alaska and if you ask Carnival they just reply with a canned response.

I don't blame the social media / customer service reps but the execs need to do a better job.

Alaska cruises seem to have been removed from Carnival site - my June 9 out of Seattle doesn't show up anymore.

The least they can do is provide some update as to what they are planning. Truthfully though, even if they somehow do sail - I would rather pass. Don't want to be around so many people just yet - all it takes is one straggler who is positive for the virus to restart the whole thing...

Thanks.  I thought I missed something.  When do you think they'll tell us????  It's like they are ignoring it.

AFAIK, there are no Carnival sailings from any port in the U.S. going to Alaska. Primary reason is that Canada has closed its border to the U.S. until July 1. I believe that the U.S. has also closed its border with Canada as well. 

4 minutes ago, Joe817 said:

AFAIK, there are no Carnival sailings from any port in the U.S. going to Alaska. Primary reason is that Canada has closed its border to the U.S. until July 1. I believe that the U.S. has also closed its border with Canada as well. 

Exactly but Carnival isn't saying what they are planning to do and have not officially cancelled Alaska sailings through July.

I just want them to announce an official cancellation already

6 minutes ago, pusywillow said:

Thanks.  I thought I missed something.  When do you think they'll tell us????  It's like they are ignoring it.

Good question. The replies on Facebook and Twitter are cut / paste which basically say we don't know - we will tell you when the execs tell us more.

Edited by webzila
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, pusywillow said:

Has a decision been made on Alaska?  I have one booked for June 8.

Ours was May 11th and was cancelled today.  I don’t know this for sure just speculating, they may be doing this is in waves so they are not overburdening their employees.  My PVP said today they have even hotel managers helping fill out cancellation forms.  
We wanted to be sure to get the 100% FCC and $600 OBC which is why we waited until Carnival cancelled the cruise.

Edited by WhiteOptima

19 minutes ago, WhiteOptima said:

Ours was May 11th and was cancelled today.  I don’t know this for sure just speculating, they may be doing this is in waves so they are not overburdening their employees.  My PVP said today they have even hotel managers helping fill out cancellation forms.  
We wanted to be sure to get the 100% FCC and $600 OBC which is why we waited until Carnival cancelled the cruise.

Yep but this wasn't an Alaska specific cancellation. Carnival cancelled all cruises through May 11.

Problem is that even if they resume after May 11, Alaska is a special circumstance since it requires access to Canada which is closed through July. Unless the law that requires a stop at a foreign port is suspended there is no way any cruise line can make those trips. So Royal Caribbean already announced that all their Alaska sailing are cancelled through July. Many were waiting for Carnival to announce the same today which they did not.

13 minutes ago, webzila said:

Yep but this wasn't an Alaska specific cancellation. Carnival cancelled all cruises through May 11.

Problem is that even if they resume after May 11, Alaska is a special circumstance since it requires access to Canada which is closed through July. Unless the law that requires a stop at a foreign port is suspended there is no way any cruise line can make those trips. So Royal Caribbean already announced that all their Alaska sailing are cancelled through July. Many were waiting for Carnival to announce the same today which they did not.

Was Royals out of San Fran

On 3/18/2020 at 7:28 PM, camarowesley said:

According to Carnival two days ago, the Alaska cruises were continuing as planned, but now I see that may not be true. Cruise hive is reporting the crew is having to disembark and scheduled cruises are cancelled. Makes sense considering Canada has closed their borders to large ships. Has anyone received an email from Carnival? I haven't, but would like to know one way or the other so I can cancel flights, etc.  Article link is  below.

https://www.cruisehive.com/the-crew-to-disembark-carnival-cruise-ship-out-of-service-for-some-time/38513

My husband and I have an Alaskan cruise booked for May 12th and still haven't heard anything about cancelling that cruise.  I was told that even though Canada has closed their borders, Carnival may still re-route the Alaskan cruise to a different location.  However, I am waiting to cancel as far out as I can because I want Carnival to cancel the cruise completely so that I get a full refund.  Otherwise, if I cancel now, then they will place the deposit towards a cruise credit to use next year sometime instead and we don't know if we will even be able to take a cruise next year.  I have been very frustrated with Carnival on this issue to say the least.  How is it even possible that they refuse to cancel our Alaska cruise on May 12th yet? I just don't honestly get it. *sigh*

19 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Was Royals out of San Fran

Don't know but pretty sure they have sailings from Seattle, Vancouver, etc. Any Alaska cruise is cancelled with them through July because if it starts anywhere in the US it has to stop at foreign port... Victoria or start in Canada. Both options are out. 

Out of SF if they don't stop in Canada the only other remote possibility is Mexico but that could easily add another 2-3 days of sailing to the cruise

4 minutes ago, stvntra said:

My husband and I have an Alaskan cruise booked for May 12th and still haven't heard anything about cancelling that cruise.  I was told that even though Canada has closed their borders, Carnival may still re-route the Alaskan cruise to a different location.  However, I am waiting to cancel as far out as I can because I want Carnival to cancel the cruise completely so that I get a full refund.  Otherwise, if I cancel now, then they will place the deposit towards a cruise credit to use next year sometime instead and we don't know if we will even be able to take a cruise next year.  I have been very frustrated with Carnival on this issue to say the least.  How is it even possible that they refuse to cancel our Alaska cruise on May 12th yet? I just don't honestly get it. *sigh*

What do you need to do after the cancel? It is probably safe to cancel your hotel or other things. plus most of the airlines are allowing rebooking. I think it is safe to say you will be cancelled, but what is stressing you about waiting?

As we were moving towards on 3/14 cruise, we knew our date to cancel hotel, parking at port, excursions, etc. was the Thursday before. We waited and then cancelled all the other stuff first, then cancelled the cruise Friday morning (by the time we got through!). They cancelled our cruise 12 hours later (and put in place the first 30 day window). We had to call back and we opted to flip from a refund to an FCC with OBC.

We lost $25 on parking, but didnt waste 28 hours driving to the port roundtrip!

2 minutes ago, Denverdonkeys said:

What do you need to do after the cancel? It is probably safe to cancel your hotel or other things. plus most of the airlines are allowing rebooking. I think it is safe to say you will be cancelled, but what is stressing you about waiting?

As we were moving towards on 3/14 cruise, we knew our date to cancel hotel, parking at port, excursions, etc. was the Thursday before. We waited and then cancelled all the other stuff first, then cancelled the cruise Friday morning (by the time we got through!). They cancelled our cruise 12 hours later (and put in place the first 30 day window). We had to call back and we opted to flip from a refund to an FCC with OBC.

We lost $25 on parking, but didnt waste 28 hours driving to the port roundtrip!

Luckily we have already cancelled our hotel and flights without issue and didn't lose any money.  My only issue is that they currently have our deposit (which they have now raised from $800 to $1200) to be put towards a FCC or OBC to use within the next year.  But, my problem is that I don't know at this point in time IF we WILL actually be able to cruise next year, so I would rather have my entire amount back to the tune of $3500 and not just partial.  Does that make sense?  I mean, if I knew for sure we would be going on a cruise next year, I wouldn't hesitate to cancel and put the $1200 each towards either of those other 2 options.  My biggest gripe, however, is the fact that they KNOW we can't get into Canada or another Foreign port and still are refusing to cancel that cruise dated May 12th to Alaska.  They have cancelled all cruises through May 11th - so what gives with the May 12th sailing to Alaska when they know we aren't going to be able to go at this point?  Not only that, my Company won't allow us to go at this point either.  *sigh*

12 minutes ago, stvntra said:

Luckily we have already cancelled our hotel and flights without issue and didn't lose any money.  My only issue is that they currently have our deposit (which they have now raised from $800 to $1200) to be put towards a FCC or OBC to use within the next year.  But, my problem is that I don't know at this point in time IF we WILL actually be able to cruise next year, so I would rather have my entire amount back to the tune of $3500 and not just partial.  Does that make sense?  I mean, if I knew for sure we would be going on a cruise next year, I wouldn't hesitate to cancel and put the $1200 each towards either of those other 2 options.  My biggest gripe, however, is the fact that they KNOW we can't get into Canada or another Foreign port and still are refusing to cancel that cruise dated May 12th to Alaska.  They have cancelled all cruises through May 11th - so what gives with the May 12th sailing to Alaska when they know we aren't going to be able to go at this point?  Not only that, my Company won't allow us to go at this point either.  *sigh*

I understand wanting the money back instead of an FCC. I was in that boat until they allowed 2 years for the FCC. I just want to provide that perspective to try and reduce your stress as to what to do now.

I don't think this will happen, especially by 5/12, but I suspect they are trying to change the cruises via a waiver from the government to potentially do a cruise without a stop in Canada. However, SF and SEA are also not the best cities to travel to currently.

I think you just hold pat and find out in another 3 weeks that they cancel it. I know that sucks, but at least you know you have not lost anything yet, and probably wont. The last two 30 day cancellations they have done, they have provided the new rules to be applied back to cancellations that had happened since 3/6. I think they recognize that people (like you, or me) are trying to be smart knowing our specific details, but then they are protecting the company by being slow to cancel so it does not screw up their finances too much (and everyone on this board would appreciate this to be a smaller focus!, haha).

I expected a few announcements today:

1. 30 day extension to all cruises (at least)

2. Alaska season cancellation or updates

3. Radiance and Mardi Gras updates

It looks like they have taken a lot cruises off the board from group 2 and 3, to probably reduce their exposure, but they have not yet cancelled those yet. Unfortunately I think that is a cash flow play for the company. I don't think it is nefarious by them, just a survival thing.

I hope it works out for you! think good thoughts.

13 minutes ago, Denverdonkeys said:

I understand wanting the money back instead of an FCC. I was in that boat until they allowed 2 years for the FCC. I just want to provide that perspective to try and reduce your stress as to what to do now.

I don't think this will happen, especially by 5/12, but I suspect they are trying to change the cruises via a waiver from the government to potentially do a cruise without a stop in Canada. However, SF and SEA are also not the best cities to travel to currently.

I think you just hold pat and find out in another 3 weeks that they cancel it. I know that sucks, but at least you know you have not lost anything yet, and probably wont. The last two 30 day cancellations they have done, they have provided the new rules to be applied back to cancellations that had happened since 3/6. I think they recognize that people (like you, or me) are trying to be smart knowing our specific details, but then they are protecting the company by being slow to cancel so it does not screw up their finances too much (and everyone on this board would appreciate this to be a smaller focus!, haha).

I expected a few announcements today:

1. 30 day extension to all cruises (at least)

2. Alaska season cancellation or updates

3. Radiance and Mardi Gras updates

It looks like they have taken a lot cruises off the board from group 2 and 3, to probably reduce their exposure, but they have not yet cancelled those yet. Unfortunately I think that is a cash flow play for the company. I don't think it is nefarious by them, just a survival thing.

I hope it works out for you! think good thoughts.

Thank you.  Yes, I do think it is all related to a cash flow issue as well in some regards.  It's just frustrating - especially since there is no way we can go even if they do sail that week to Alaska as my Company simply will not allow it due to everyone getting sick on the cruises, etc and they don't want to take a chance.  Considering the fact that I work directly for the Chairman/CEO of our Company and he is an older gentlemen and very susceptible, then I really have no option at this point in time.  I was told by Carnival last week that I do have until April 11th at the latest to cancel my cruise, but have fingers crossed that they will cancel it for me instead.  If not, then I will wait it out as long as possible. 

4 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

.  Princess still has Alaskan cruises of of San Fran that can be booked in August and Sept 

That's August and beyond. Right now the issue is through July 1 since Canada is essentially closed

.  Princess still has Alaskan cruises of of San Fran that can be booked in August and Sept 

That may be true but I’m booked with Carnival. There has to be a reason you can no longer book any Carnival cruises out of SF until next year. They just haven’t told us yet

Sent from my iPad using Forums

1 hour ago, pinto18 said:

That may be true but I’m booked with Carnival. There has to be a reason you can no longer book any Carnival cruises out of SF until next year. They just haven’t told us yet

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They could be all sold out also

Looks like its official based on Carnival update from today. Alaska cancelled through July.

https://www.carnival.com/health-and-sailing-updates

• All ships sailing between March 14 and May 11
  • All Alaska sailings through and including June 30, 2020
  • All San Francisco sailings through 2020
  • All Carnival Radiance sailings through and including November 1, 2020
  • All Carnival Legend sailings through and including October 30, 2020

5 minutes ago, webzila said:

Looks like its official based on Carnival update from today. Alaska cancelled through July.

https://www.carnival.com/health-and-sailing-updates

• All ships sailing between March 14 and May 11
  • All Alaska sailings through and including June 30, 2020
  • All San Francisco sailings through 2020
  • All Carnival Radiance sailings through and including November 1, 2020
  • All Carnival Legend sailings through and including October 30, 2020

Makes me wonder if Carnival will ever sail out of San Fran again, but ever is a long time.