for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

I just couldn't help it.  When I bought this house 12 years ago, the owners left 2 swatters on the laundry room door.  I finally found a reason to use one!  It was just too funny to ignore.   I have to stay up to watch Saturday Night Live tomorrow night to see who plays The Fly.  I want my BFF's boyfriend's son do it (he plays Putin and was Chris Wallace last week), but "the word" has Jeff Goldblum doing it.  It's the gift that keep on giving!!  Kind of like the White House Raccoon that pestered the CNN reporter!

With the snowbirds, you have to watch out for 2 things now - their driving AND their social distancing!!!  Just avoid the Early Bird Specials and Happy Hours for a few months 😷

Beck Bennett did a really good job as Chris Wallace, when I closed my eyes I could have sworn it was Wallace speaking.  And he also was really good last year as pence, I am hoping he will reprise that character this year. 

I, too, am staying up to see what SNL does.😂 

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Debbie - I had the Waldorf Salad yesterday.  It was good.   Also, pick up one of those Harvest Apple bags of salad if they have it.  Also really good.   What kind of car do you have?  I just got a notice from KIA about some kind of settlement that would give me a lifetime warranty on part of the engine.  Curious. 

My adventures out into the World may go back on hold for a few days.  We've had a big uptick in COVID cases here and our hospital is overtaxed right now.  No reason to get out and about.  

Last note:  after The Big Show Wednesday night, I made a small addition to my Holiday Display.  See if you can find it!  

IMG_0763.JPG

👍 Great addition!

Hi girls,  well, the carpet people came today and everything looks really clean😃...smells good too. This company

does not use a detergent. They use VERY HOT water with grapefruit skin.......it may sound strange but it works.

Looks like the blood is all gone and the entire carpet looks great.🙂

• Like 4

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

Beck Bennett did a really good job as Chris Wallace, when I closed my eyes I could have sworn it was Wallace speaking.  And he also was really good last year as pence, I am hoping he will reprise that character this year. 

I, too, am staying up to see what SNL does.😂 

Sherri🙂

My fave with Beck will always be Putin.  especially when he comes out bare-chested.  Just too funny.   But, it would make sense for him to be Pence this time and have Goldblum be the Fly.  

I can't imagine SNL NOT doing the fly this week.  

OH - whoever recommended the microwave popcorn popper last month - I LOVE IT!!!  It's so freakin' easy - 3 minutes and I have my popcorn nice and naked - no processed oils!  Thanks for the suggestion!

Edited by slidergirl
  • Like 1

Just now, Lois R said:

Hi girls,  well, the carpet people came today and everything looks really clean😃...smells good too. This company

does not use a detergent. They use VERY HOT water with grapefruit skin.......it may sound strange but it works.

Looks like the blood is all gone and the entire carpet looks great.🙂

Yay!!!   Interesting that they used grapefruit skin.  Very eco-friendly!

Now, NO MORE BLEEDING PLEASE!!! 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Debbie - I had the Waldorf Salad yesterday.  It was good.   Also, pick up one of those Harvest Apple bags of salad if they have it.  Also really good.   What kind of car do you have?  I just got a notice from KIA about some kind of settlement that would give me a lifetime warranty on part of the engine.  Curious. 

My adventures out into the World may go back on hold for a few days.  We've had a big uptick in COVID cases here and our hospital is overtaxed right now.  No reason to get out and about.  

Last note:  after The Big Show Wednesday night, I made a small addition to my Holiday Display.  See if you can find it!  

IMG_0763.JPG

it's an Audi,  & I actually got the check today :)   Luckily I had kept all repair receipts

I love your display :)

• Like 1

Lois, glad your carpet came out good :)

Ladies, I too am liking forward to SNL tomorrow...  they have plenty of fodder for a good show this week ;)

In typical 2020 fashion, our washing machine broke earlier in the week, I was able to goggle the problem, both the part on amazon, & it was delivered on wednesday evening,  so thursday afternoon steve started working on it, but didn't find out till hours into it that he didn't have the right socket wrench...found one, but it was so late, so figured he'd finish today.....I took our stuff to laundry mat & washed, figuring when I got home it'd be done, however, since it's 2020,  when taking it apart he broke another part....

found a parts place that had one in stock, drove 2 hours out to Riverside to get it, though I should look in the box to make sure it was the right part....& get this....  it was broken :classic_rolleyes:    so, I just ordered one online, & it should arrive on tuesday...  it's been quite a week ;)

so this is my washing machine, lying on it's back, with all it's insides taken out:IMG_1261.thumb.JPG.08aa0f0db63e44e0c6b0a8dc8b2918f6.JPG

it's almost 7:30 here, so it's perfectly acceptable for me to take a shower & start drinking :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, PurpleHays said:

https://www.epicurious.com/recipes/member/views/homemade-limoncello-1236891

It actually says 10-40 days for each "rest" period. I figure the longer the better.

Thanks for the info. I'm going to start a second batch using 100 proof and do a better job of zesting. I'll also let it sit longer with the peels and then compare the two.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Lois, glad your carpet came out good 🙂

Ladies, I too am liking forward to SNL tomorrow...  they have plenty of fodder for a good show this week 😉

In typical 2020 fashion, our washing machine broke earlier in the week, I was able to goggle the problem, both the part on amazon, & it was delivered on wednesday evening,  so thursday afternoon steve started working on it, but didn't find out till hours into it that he didn't have the right socket wrench...found one, but it was so late, so figured he'd finish today.....I took our stuff to laundry mat & washed, figuring when I got home it'd be done, however, since it's 2020,  when taking it apart he broke another part....

found a parts place that had one in stock, drove 2 hours out to Riverside to get it, though I should look in the box to make sure it was the right part....& get this....  it was broken :classic_rolleyes:    so, I just ordered one online, & it should arrive on tuesday...  it's been quite a week 😉

so this is my washing machine, lying on it's back, with all it's insides taken out:IMG_1261.thumb.JPG.08aa0f0db63e44e0c6b0a8dc8b2918f6.JPG

it's almost 7:30 here, so it's perfectly acceptable for me to take a shower & start drinking :classic_biggrin:

Good morning.......so sorry about your washer!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

found a parts place that had one in stock, drove 2 hours out to Riverside to get it, though I should look in the box to make sure it was the right part....& get this....  it was broken :classic_rolleyes:    so, I just ordered one online, & it should arrive on tuesday...  it's been quite a week 😉

I have no words other than that this completely sums up 2020, doesn't it? :classic_laugh:

I know what you mean about parts. My DS had a problem with the fan on his computer -- ordered a part that had the right number (after he had taken his expensive computer apart to find out :classic_ohmy:). But when it arrived, it was the correct piece, but REVERSE of what he needed -- I guess like having a right foot and a left foot, his computer has a right fan and a left fan, LOL. 

Anyway, after another week we finally got the right fan part and he put it together and it worked, so there was much happiness on his part. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Sorry about your washer ! 2020 will go down as the weirdest year ever .

You got that right........and probably one of the WORST years ever as well.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

OMG!  You washer debacle reminded me of an old episode of Modern Family when Phil tried to fix the machine!!!   You know there are people you can pay to fix appliances, right?  <just joking>

It's going to be an "interesting" weekend, weather-wise up here,  Today, sunny and a possible high of 75.  Overnight, it drops into the 30s, stays there and possible snow Sunday.  And, Monday, it stays in the high 20s/low 30s.  So, I might have to see if I can squeeze into any of my jeans on Monday!  At least I have a bunch of different sizes in the closet!  

Oh - a note on the Pumpkin Chili - after sitting in the fridge for a day, it actually tasted better.  The pumpkin blended in more, not so out front as it was.  Maybe that's the thing.  But, clumsy hands happened:  I went to get another bowl out for dinner *had one for lunch*, I dropped the container and it went SPLAT all over the floor.  Had salad for dinner, instead.  Now, I'm short a dinner for Sunday.  Sounds like take out from my clean eating place. 

I'm just waiting until SNL tonight!!!  Soooo much material to choose from to put in such a short time!!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I have no words other than that this completely sums up 2020, doesn't it? :classic_laugh:

I know what you mean about parts. My DS had a problem with the fan on his computer -- ordered a part that had the right number (after he had taken his expensive computer apart to find out :classic_ohmy:). But when it arrived, it was the correct piece, but REVERSE of what he needed -- I guess like having a right foot and a left foot, his computer has a right fan and a left fan, LOL. 

Anyway, after another week we finally got the right fan part and he put it together and it worked, so there was much happiness on his part. 

I think it should be against the law for things to break during a pandemic ;)   On the brings side, though, if anyone needs an LG top loader taken apart & put back together, I"m your person....  & you and DS can start up a computer repair business lol...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@slidergirl Kat, I know we should have just called a repair person, but it seemed like an easy fix, & just snowballed, however, when we're done, it will basically be a new machine... fingers crossed, knock on wood, crosses self... lol 

regarding your weather, can you believe we're headed back into the cool season?  & to heck with jeans, sweatpants & leggings are stretchy, right?  It's cooled off here as well, so today I will finish my exterior halloween decor,   I did all the house lights & big things at the beginning of september, but hadn't done the tree lights yet, so that will be today's project... nice to not have sweat while climbing up and down the ladder.  

enjoy your takeout....  tonight we're doing burgers with pastrami on top, definitely not "clean" or healthy, but going to be delicious :)

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

@slidergirl Kat, I know we should have just called a repair person, but it seemed like an easy fix, & just snowballed, however, when we're done, it will basically be a new machine... fingers crossed, knock on wood, crosses self... lol 

regarding your weather, can you believe we're headed back into the cool season?  & to heck with jeans, sweatpants & leggings are stretchy, right?  It's cooled off here as well, so today I will finish my exterior halloween decor,   I did all the house lights & big things at the beginning of september, but hadn't done the tree lights yet, so that will be today's project... nice to not have sweat while climbing up and down the ladder.  

enjoy your takeout....  tonight we're doing burgers with pastrami on top, definitely not "clean" or healthy, but going to be delicious 🙂

In Utah, those pastrami burgers are all over the place. I never heard of such a thing until I moved here.  there are even fast food places that feature these, with french fries and fry sauce!!  

I used to be a Ms. Fixit, but I've given that up.  I've got 2 chores that I think I could do myself (new light switch, install NEST thermostat), but I probably will pay to get them done. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

In Utah, those pastrami burgers are all over the place. I never heard of such a thing until I moved here.  there are even fast food places that feature these, with french fries and fry sauce!!  

I used to be a Ms. Fixit, but I've given that up.  I've got 2 chores that I think I could do myself (new light switch, install NEST thermostat), but I probably will pay to get them done. 

NEST thermostats are easy!  I did ours in under 20 minutes. It “remembers” after a couple of days (cools down when I walk by & warms up when hubs walks by). 

Im likely the only person (Other than my husband) that has never seen SNL (& I had to look it up to know what it was). 

• Like 1

Hi Everyone, well some better air, very little smoke and a bit cooler temp so we’ve been outside, went for a walk yesterday and today then worked in the yard, I also started cleaning up the patio furniture which is pretty dirty from the smoke. After vacuuming the cushions I took a chance and used the hose on them.  They are old and I doubt that they are some expensive outdoor fabric so figured I didn’t have much to loose. So far so good. They are drying and I ordered a new cover that will fit over the glider. It will be here tomorrow🤞. At least I can keep the cushions and frame from collecting more dirt and ash. Still have to tackle 2 chairs. Hoping decent air prevails for awhile. 

Debbie, I can sympathize-our microwave is really misbehaving! Cooks food just fine and shuts off when the time is up but when I open the door it turns itself on! Yep not good. Google tells me it is most likely a broken switch in the door latch. Even a YouTube video on how to fix it. I’m not as adventurous as you and this micro is 8 years old and built in. Fortunately, we have a back up micro stored in the garage so brought it in and I’m using that. Not happy that it is on the counter but oh well. We bought the micro from a store that only carries GE and are great with customer service. I will talk to them about the repair cost before deciding if we will just buy a new one. I have to factor in that it is built in so not exactly plug and play.So, yes I get your frustration and I do hope your washer will be repaired soon.

On to the computer fan issue, I again sympathize. My computer has stopped backing up and after googling that I see it isn’t an easy fix. My son and I did a FaceTime call and after trying several things, it’s still not backing up. Everything else is working fine so far but the computer is old as is my AirPort Extreme. The computer backs up to it automatically-well it used to. So may get an external hard drive and use that. Not sure I want to use the “cloud” but that is an option. 

Debbie, it sounds like you go all out for Halloween! How much fun is that! Bet your grandkids love it.

Kat, I bought one can of TJ’s pumpkin and will try the chili with that. Good to know it gets better with age!

Lois, so glad your carpets are nice and clean. I need to have ours done also but am putting it off until the virus is past us. Grapefruit peels sound interesting. Haven’t heard of that but glad it worked.

Hope everyone is doing ok. Some of you may be enjoying real fall weather. Wish we were and I would love some fall color.

Sharon

• Like 2

3 hours ago, awhfy said:

.....I'm likely the only person (Other than my husband) that has never seen SNL (& I had to look it up to know what it was). 

I knew what SNL stands for, but I don't think I have seen it either unless it was 35-40 years ago. Was it even on back then? Hope everything continues to improve for everyone.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

I knew what SNL stands for, but I don't think I have seen it either unless it was 35-40 years ago. Was it even on back then? Hope everything continues to improve for everyone.

Hi, Saturday Night Live started in 1975, so it has been on the air for 45 years. I know when I graduated HS in 1976 it

was the original Chevy Chase group.  When I went off to college, on Saturday nights there was a group who would always go to "The Lounge" in the dorm to watch.

I haven't watched it lately but that satire of the debate was awesome😀

(just my opinion).

Wow, we had a wild night last night. Between 7pm and 8:30pm we had two tornado warnings, along with heavy rain. Then we had a flash flood warning basically all night. Around 11pm our sump pump alarm in the (unfinished) basement started going off. This had never happened since I installed it about 3 years ago.

We had no idea what to do as the instructions were delightfully vague.  To summarize, it more or less said that the alarm could be going off merely to alert us to the rising water level, in which case we should not worry, the pump was likely working. Or, it was malfunctioning and we should get a plumber immediately.  Of course there was no helpful information such as how to tell the difference between these two scenarios. :classic_angry:

After much online reading it seemed like the key was to find out if the pump was actually still working. Just try going down into a small, enclosed, partially dug out basement at midnight with a flashlight, a screeching alarm and pouring rain and figuring out whether you can hear the slight hum of a working pump -- we couldn't!

We eventually decided to just leave it and see if it would go off overnight (especially since an emergency plumber visit would have been $400).  Of course, the alarm was situated right underneath my bedroom and hard to ignore. I decided to watch SNL on the couch in the den and hopefully fall asleep there. I did doze, and finally around 1:45 am the alarm stopped sounding, so I got up and went to bed.

Just when I was thinking that I would stay in my house after DS moves out.... Now a condo is looking better and better.

• Like 2

Hi Cynthia, I have lived in a condo for more than 25 years.  Just to make you aware, anything that happens inside

those walls are the owner's responsibility. Example, if I have a leak from pipes, the condo association is not 

responsible for the tab.....I am.   I love my place and am happy here and maybe NC has different "rules" for 

condos.  But here in Florida, inside issues are the owner's issues........

Anyway, glad you are ok and didn't have to call for an emergency plumber.