for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

Yeah I'm sorry about that.... I know you were so looking forward to it....  all the headlines today were "Hollywood Bowl cancels its summer season for the first time... L.A. summer is officially cancelled"   I know it's stupid but I felt like crying when I read that.   

It is not stupid...sometime things hit us in a certain way...……..you are allowed to feel what you feel.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi there :)  I wore earrings yesterday for the first time in weeks..  I had planned on wearing them so holes wouldn't close up,  but got lazy....   I went for a little car ride to no where a while ago just to see something different lol... today I was supposed to be getting a mani & pedi & my lashes done for our cruise next week... our flight was supposed to leave early Saturday morning.... oh well...

on a happier note I'm marinating some chicken right now in buffalo sauce, going to BBQ later :)  then go run.  :)

I made fish for dinner.  I had bought a nice piece of salmon and a piece of Mahi.....I used a lime vinagerette and

baked the 2 together.  Easy Peasy and DELICIOUS if I must say so.  And it is healthy too.:classic_smile:

Fresh asparagus and brown rice with grape tomatoes....they are sweet!

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Yeah I'm sorry about that.... I know you were so looking forward to it....  all the headlines today were "Hollywood Bowl cancels its summer season for the first time... L.A. summer is officially cancelled"   I know it's stupid but I felt like crying when I read that.   

The Symphony had already cancelled their Bowl season, but some of the "lease" events hadn't.  Bocelli is one of them.  

Up here - our summer concert series has been cancelled, our Sunday Market has been cancelled, a few more of our big summer events have been cancelled.   A new thing that is being floated is to make historic Main Street vehicle-free and then allow restaurants to make outside dining "patios" on the street, making it all pedestrian and cozy for the locals.  Basically trying to make it something fun and special for us.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

Hi there 🙂  I wore earrings yesterday for the first time in weeks..  I had planned on wearing them so holes wouldn't close up,  but got lazy....   I went for a little car ride to no where a while ago just to see something different lol... today I was supposed to be getting a mani & pedi & my lashes done for our cruise next week... our flight was supposed to leave early Saturday morning.... oh well...

on a happier note I'm marinating some chicken right now in buffalo sauce, going to BBQ later 🙂  then go run.  🙂

Sorry 'bout the no-cruise...

I put earrings on in all 4 holes once a week lately just to keep the holes open.  I was going to drive an hour down the mountain to find someplace to switch up my tires (the place up here really rips people off), but I couldn't get off the damn sofa.  I DID do laundry and put all the dishes in the dishwasher, though, so I wasn't a total slug.

Tonight's dinner - I just made a nice Mediterranean tuna and white bean salad.  It's chilling in the fridge for a little time.  And, the last of the bottle of what I received as gratuities at work will be what I drink (a nice pinot noir)...  

• Like 2

bleh, our power went out 4 times tonight,  each time I almost fall asleep ...  which does not leave me with a peaceful feeling, so I am up after midnight....  on the other hand, just found out Blue Angels will do a flyover right over us tomorrow midday,  which should be cool....   we have two hospitals here... one large regional one down the hill from us, & one not so good that should probably be razed & rebuilt.   

7 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Everyone’s meals sound great!  I too cooked fish, flounder for us with citrus seasoning & mandarin oranges for flair, orzo & broccoli on side

824FAC89-A729-4E26-B3CD-642826D883EE.jpeg

This looks  DELICIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have some chicken breasts that are defrosting.   Just going to bake them but need to figure out some new flavors......

I bought some Paul Newman's Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing that I may try as a marinade.  I love his products and

part of the profits still go to children's charities.

7 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

bleh, our power went out 4 times tonight,  each time I almost fall asleep ...  which does not leave me with a peaceful feeling, so I am up after midnight....  on the other hand, just found out Blue Angels will do a flyover right over us tomorrow midday,  which should be cool....   we have two hospitals here... one large regional one down the hill from us, & one not so good that should probably be razed & rebuilt.   

Sorry about the lack of sleep. I hate that too.  When I got home from the hospital I thought I would sleep better but there have been a few nights of getting up, coming back to my lazyboy and sleeping

in the chair for 2/3 hours.  But the last few nights have been better. 

Earrings-well yesterday I discovered that my hoops don’t do well with a face mask!

Fish dishes sound good, Lois, and certainly your other choices were healthy ones also. I too have marinated chicken breast’s in vinaigrette dressing and sometimes fresh lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and seasonings. I am not much of a fish lover unless it doesn’t taste fishy. 

A Blue Angels fly over-that will be a treat for sure! Our Air Guard unit did a hospital fly over  yesterday. Flew over Sac, the Bay Area, down to  Santa Barbara etc and  back to their base. 4 jets in all but health care workers seemed to appreciate it. I don’t think they went as far as LA. 

Weather warming up here so so if I go out I have been wearing my 32 Degrees Cool ankle pants and a knit top. Just can’t get too excited about my choices these days so whatever is easy. 

Sharon

I'm looking forward to it warming up around here.

My usual attire is pull on pants and a sweatshirt.  If I go out, I put on jeans and a sweater, but still have to wear a coat because it's cold.  And I wear a bra, if I'm home I don't bother with one.  No one can tell when I have a sweatshirt on. 

6 minutes ago, purduemom1 said:

Earrings-well yesterday I discovered that my hoops don’t do well with a face mask!

Fish dishes sound good, Lois, and certainly your other choices were healthy ones also. I too have marinated chicken breast’s in vinaigrette dressing and sometimes fresh lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and seasonings. I am not much of a fish lover unless it doesn’t taste fishy. 

A Blue Angels fly over-that will be a treat for sure! Our Air Guard unit did a hospital fly over  yesterday. Flew over Sac, the Bay Area, down to  Santa Barbara etc and  back to their base. 4 jets in all but health care workers seemed to appreciate it. I don’t think they went as far as LA. 

Weather warming up here so so if I go out I have been wearing my 32 Degrees Cool ankle pants and a knit top. Just can’t get too excited about my choices these days so whatever is easy. 

Sharon

Sharon, give salmon and mahi a try.....I love them and they are not "fishy".....and flounder is very mild too!

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Sorry about the lack of sleep. I hate that too.  When I got home from the hospital I thought I would sleep better but there have been a few nights of getting up, coming back to my lazyboy and sleeping

in the chair for 2/3 hours.  But the last few nights have been better. 

There are a bunch of us who are having the same sleep issue right now.  I'm also waking up around 3am, not being able to get back to sleep until around 6am or so.  I've heard it is possibly due to just anxiety over what is happening lately.  

The days that I go to Whole Foods, I do pick up a piece of fish, usually salmon.  I usually like it "naked" - just a little lemon pepper on it and broiled or pan fried.  Chicken - I love to marinate it in whatever I have sitting in my fridge.  That balsamic vinaigrette is good to marinate with chicken.   Tonight, I think I'm going to make "Italian Grit Cakes", aka polenta cakes.  Fry them up just like grit cakes,  douse with a little plain ole marinara sauce.  Or, I do have a bag of cauliflower gnocchi in the freezer from Trader Joe's.  I should have had them last night - Thursday night is gnocchi night in Italy!!!  

Today's fashion:  I have no idea.  I'll wait until the dead of night to go to the mail box so no one but the moose will see me!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

I have some chicken breasts that are defrosting.   Just going to bake them but need to figure out some new flavors......

I bought some Paul Newman's Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing that I may try as a marinade.  I love his products and

part of the profits still go to children's charities.

Lois, try the Mrs Dash spices. Very low sodium & very tasty. I used Mes Dash citrus seasoning & a can of mandarin oranges (wo juice) on our fish, it was great

33 minutes ago, awhfy said:

Lois, try the Mrs Dash spices. Very low sodium & very tasty. I used Mes Dash citrus seasoning & a can of mandarin oranges (wo juice) on our fish, it was great

Thank you for that!!!!  I have never used that brand but will definitely give it a try:classic_smile:

1 hour ago, slidergirl said:

There are a bunch of us who are having the same sleep issue right now.  I'm also waking up around 3am, not being able to get back to sleep until around 6am or so.  I've heard it is possibly due to just anxiety over what is happening lately.  

The days that I go to Whole Foods, I do pick up a piece of fish, usually salmon.  I usually like it "naked" - just a little lemon pepper on it and broiled or pan fried.  Chicken - I love to marinate it in whatever I have sitting in my fridge.  That balsamic vinaigrette is good to marinate with chicken.   Tonight, I think I'm going to make "Italian Grit Cakes", aka polenta cakes.  Fry them up just like grit cakes,  douse with a little plain ole marinara sauce.  Or, I do have a bag of cauliflower gnocchi in the freezer from Trader Joe's.  I should have had them last night - Thursday night is gnocchi night in Italy!!!  

Today's fashion:  I have no idea.  I'll wait until the dead of night to go to the mail box so no one but the moose will see me!!

No frying for me at this point.  Maybe some olive oil or vegetable oil in a saute pan but I really don't "fry" my food.

2 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Or, I do have a bag of cauliflower gnocchi in the freezer from Trader Joe's.  I should have had them last night - Thursday night is gnocchi night in Italy!!!  

Wait--isn't today Thursday? 🤔 It does get hard to keep track. 😉

8 hours ago, Lois R said:

Sharon, give salmon and mahi a try.....I love them and they are not "fishy".....and flounder is very mild too!

Lois, thanks for the fish suggestions. Now that I’m doing so much more cooking (ugh) I’m always looking for ideas. Will have to see what I can find on my next trip to Whole Foods.  So I guess that means I will have to change out of my “staying home” clothes!

Sharon

Edited by purduemom1

1 hour ago, purduemom1 said:

Lois, thanks for the fish suggestions. Now that I’m doing so much more cooking (ugh) I’m always looking for ideas. Will have to see what I can find on my next trip to Whole Foods.  So I guess that means I will have to change out of my “staying home” clothes!

Sharon

I hope you like them:classic_smile: Fresh fish is so good. Salmon does have a distinct flavor but I don't consider it fishy at all.

Flounder is very mild and Mahi has its own flavor as well. 

8 hours ago, hrhdhd said:

Wait--isn't today Thursday? 🤔 It does get hard to keep track. 😉

I didn't notice that until I just saw this 🤪   I always had my days screwed up when I worked because I had different days off at times.  Somewhere, I lost a day and it's messed me up.  I did this same thing last week.   I ended up having cauliflower mash with sour cream and bacon.  Yes, a "side dish" as my main.  I do that sometimes.  

I think I'm going to self-quarantine in my car tomorrow and just drive. Some of the mountain passes around me are still closed, so I'm a little limited in my destinations.  I still have 3/4 of the tank of gas that I bought the beginning of March!  Never got to get any of that cheap gas.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Lois R said:

Thank you for that!!!!  I have never used that brand but will definitely give it a try:classic_smile:

No frying for me at this point.  Maybe some olive oil or vegetable oil in a saute pan but I really don't "fry" my food.

I don't deep fry.  I so a little of the olive oil spray that I got at Trader Joe's.  A little of that in a nonstick pan works great.  

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I don't deep fry.  I so a little of the olive oil spray that I got at Trader Joe's.  A little of that in a nonstick pan works great.  

Ahhh…...ok, thanks for the clarification:classic_smile:

11 hours ago, Lois R said:

I hope you like them:classic_smile: Fresh fish is so good. Salmon does have a distinct flavor but I don't consider it fishy at all.

Flounder is very mild and Mahi has its own flavor as well. 

I love haddock,  Mahi & flounder. Unfortunately I’m allergic to salmon. I found Mahi burgers at Costco, we’re having them tonight with pineapple mango salsa

I've been self-isolating for nine weeks now.  I've been out of the house (off my property) six times, mostly to pick up curbside delivery grocery orders from Whole Foods.  

I haven't worn makeup in six plus weeks.  My hair is long enough to be impossible but too short to pull back into a pony tail.  I had been talking to my hairdresser about growing out the grey at my last appointment back in mid-February.  This has given me the opportunity to do so.  I'm about halfway there.

• Like 2

I have an air fryer that I use a lot . I rarely bread anything . I cook fish by brushing it with olive oil mixed with cajun seasoning . Then I air fry it at 370 for eight minutes and it is perfectly cooked . I do use bread crumbs when I make chicken parmesan . I put the breaded chicken in the air fryer for 10 minutes at 400 then I top the chicken with a little spaghetti sauce and mozzarella cheese and cook it at 200 for a minute .Turns out perfect

• Like 2