for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Lois and cruise kitty, those dinners sound yummy! I love to cut up zucchini, orange and red peppers, onions, toss with olive oil and garlic and cook on the barbecue. I always make a large amount-as much as my grill basket will hold, so we will have left overs. I have done them in them oven and they are good that way also although the barbecue does give them great flavor. 

Lois, I will  have to try your recipe-I might even find that I like the fish!

cruise kitty, I wish you were my neighbor-I’d love too have some of your zucchini. I can’t seem to grow anything. 

Sharon

• Like 2

Well, this is one of those nights I just did not feel like cooking but I know I have to eat 3 meals..........so I made a bowl

of oatmeal..........with milk, not water.  So at least I know I got fiber..........................

• Like 2

We're doing fish tacos tonight with cole slaw.... right now I should be at the sail away party :(

Lois:  That's what I had for breakfast :)  

Sharon:  I've only grown herbs & pumpkins before.... & of course we also have citrus trees... 3 varieties of oranges & mandarins & a lime & two lemons...  the limes  & lemons are Espaliered to take up less room :)

I really wanted to do take out but was too lazy to drive LOL.....I thought if I could find Eggplant Parm without it

being fried first I could do that.....I called 2 restaurants, one fried it, the other still has a limited menu and it was 

not being offered. Oh well.

19 hours ago, Lois R said:

Well, this is one of those nights I just did not feel like cooking but I know I have to eat 3 meals..........so I made a bowl

of oatmeal..........with milk, not water.  So at least I know I got fiber..........................

I know.  The "3 meals and 2 snacks" sound really good, but it is hard to do!!!!!  I've done the oatmeal thing for dinner, myself!  I'll stir in some peanut butter before I eat it to get a little more protein.  I may do that tonight!!!  I don't feel like going for take out - I got tired of my favorites pretty fast at the beginning.  

On the fish tacos - I saw a recipe this week for shrimp tacos that used butter lettuce leaves instead of tortillas and used a tiny bit of toasted ground bread crumbs (maybe a spoonful for each taco) to give the "crunch" - looked and sounded really good.  I may try them.  Our lobster place here in town has a "lobster roll" that does the same thing with the lettuce leaves and it's what I always get.  

• Like 2

Funny how we've morphed from talking about outfits to talking about food!

After a terrible week of work (12-hour days for the most part), I am treating myself and DS to (delivered) Greek gyros from our local Greek diner -- I've been a patron since my college days. 

I am hoping maybe I can get a haircut next week. I am about 2 cm away from just buzzing it.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Ohhhh.....thank you for that suggestion!!!!!!!!!  Tacos with a lettuce leaf as the "shell"........it sounds good!!!🙂

I always make my tacos on Lettuce & hamburgers as well. Tonight I defrosted a bag of shrimp & added it to a bag of stir fry vegetables. DH & I fought over the last shrimp (not really 😉)  That’s always a go to dinner here

• Like 1

Hi all,  can't believe it's Memorial Day weekend :)....  I am so sick of my own cooking...  so I love hearing about what everyone else is making, gives me some good ideas!

CruiseMom-  those are some seriously long hours!  You definitely deserve a treat...

Greek food sounds so good....  we do have a leg of lamb that we saved for Memorial Day, & I think I'll try to do it greek style...

Dinner tonight will be lettuce wrapped burgers & sweet potato fries  (I spray them with a little olive oil spray & bake them till they are a little crispy...  I do that with corn tortillas too,  they get crunchy but aren't actually fried.   

fashion wise I'm wearing a Pomona College baseball hat, & blue tank dress from Target  :)

• Like 1

Well, we don't have much "fashion" or "beauty" to talk about so I guess food is the next thing in line.  

cruise kitty: fun garden!!!  I get bunnies, too.  I hope this doesn't sound weird, but do ever get "the rat parade" on those power lines at night?  Every time I see power lines in residential areas, I think of a college friend's apartment when we were going to UCLA.  If we were over at his place, a certain time in the evening, we'd go out on his balcony and watch the rats scramble across the power lines!!!!!

Cruise mom: man, I wish we had greek nearby.  Haven't had that in a long time!   As far as the haircut, I heard there is a "celebrity haircuts during quarantine" kind of postings on the 'net - maybe you'll get some ideas!  

Lois - you're welcome for the lettuce idea!   I was going to do the oatmeal tonight, but remembered I have a bag of Asian chopped salad in the fridge, so that's what's for dinner.   Attire will be "I really don't care" - my maroon yoga capris/sweats and an old blue "Government Mule" T-shirt.  I did put on a baseball hat to go out and get my mail. 

Oh - it's predicted to freakin' SNOW tonight.  I may have to turn the heat back on for overnight.  I finally got used to waking up and having it about 58 degrees.   

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

I"m going to share a couple of picks of our garden,  It's behind our garage in a little area that was definitely underutilized....  IMG_9273.thumb.JPG.5dbfef6fb638ecb9455832e03139df13.JPG

& we had a little visitor a few minutes ago:

IMG_9278.thumb.jpg.56957d2e792b4f4e00fad0ebf0b0cbb6.jpg

Great garden!

• Like 1

Well, I am going to have a session with a Nutritionist.  It is not till week after next but it is a referral I received from

my Dr and I am open to learning so I thought I would see what it is about.  

Tonight it was a bowl of Mushroom Soup.........new brand I found.......much lower in sugar and carbs........

It is called  "IMAGINE"..........anyone heard of it? It is in a carton and I must say, it is delicious.  Sometimes I just

don't want to eat a "big dinner".  I found 2 "Amy's" soups that I am going try.......lower in sodium, carbs and sugar.

And I bought 2 eggplants.......and will make eggplant parm this weekend, without frying them.  

• Like 1

@slidergirl  we have a lot of squirrels & the occasional rat....  there's a raccoon family that washes their hands in our pool every night  & possums as well...  also lots of coyotes, but since our backyard is double fenced, they can't get in there...  I see coyotes almost every evening on my runs....  I can't believe you're going to get snow in practically June, that's crazy!

Well, I am going to have a session with a Nutritionist.  It is not till week after next but it is a referral I received from

my Dr and I am open to learning so I thought I would see what it is about.  

Tonight it was a bowl of Mushroom Soup.........new brand I found.......much lower in sugar and carbs........

It is called  "IMAGINE"..........anyone heard of it? It is in a carton and I must say, it is delicious.  Sometimes I just

don't want to eat a "big dinner".  I found 2 "Amy's" soups that I am going try.......lower in sodium, carbs and sugar.

And I bought 2 eggplants.......and will make eggplant parm this weekend, without frying them.  

Yep, I've had Imagine Soup.  I get them at Whole Foods or our Smith's supermarket.  I'll get those or the Pacific brand.  

You'll be surprised what the Nutritionist will tell you about what you can eat. It is dependent on your level, of course.  But, I was pleasantly surprised when things that I thought were no no's (rice, pasta) were OK once in awhile in moderation.  And, bacon is on the "eat what you want" side of the equation, unless you've got a sodium or weight issue (I've got neither,  In fact my NP told me I have a low sodium level and should try to eat more.  I was never a salt lover).   Write down everything you eat until you have your appt - try to approximate quantity (eg, 1 cup oatmeal).  It will help a lot to figure out where you are at and where you need to get to.  

cruise kitty:  Not unusual for us to get snow still.  It may stick for a couple hours but then melt.  I think the high is 41 tomorrow.  But, come Tuesday, we are low 70s, mid-70s, high-70s to unusually high low 80s by Saturday.  I still remember 1989 - 4th of July, We started out in the parade (my dog Chester and I were in it) in long sleeve T-shirts and shorts.  Half an hour later, it the temperature dropped like a lead weight and it started to snow!!!  

• Like 1

cruise kitty, that is one nice garden! Hope the bunnies aren’t also enjoying it. I agree,  I too am sick of figuring out what to cook and then cooking it! Actually, I was sick of it all before the virus hit but back then, we ate out more. 

Lois, glad to hear that you are able to see a Nutritionist. I know it helped my girl friend to figure out a diet she can live with. 

Kat, so while you are going to have snow, we are getting ready for our first triple digit days-ugg! I’ll take some of that snow please!

cruisemom, looooong hours-you certainly deserve to let someone else prepare dinner.

Things are opening up here and yet we really haven’t met all of the Gov. criteria. Just hoping that our cases don’t go way up. Salons, barber shops, spas, nail salons and gyms are still closed but they are working on those too so I’m guessing sometime in June. Unless there is a big increase in our numbers as a result of the businesses that are opening now. They go back and forth on masks. I wish they would just order everyone to wear a mask and socially distance, PERIOD, it’s not that hard to figure out that this would prevent many infections. I just don’t get the resistance.

As for cloths, I’m now in my jammies and I know I wore other cloths today but darn if I remember which ones!😉 Seriously, we went for a drive, parked and walked in a new to us area. So I did put on a little make up and some “going out” clothes instead of “staying home” garb.

Sharon

Good morning........I know every day it is about "the same" these days but since it is Saturday,  I decided to make

myself an omelette for breakfast🙂.  I use margarine and always have....put a couple of pats in the pan and sauteed

some onion, mushrooms and grape tomatoes---with cheese of course!.......(added the cheese at the end so it melted

into it.).  I know I have to watch my carbs.....none in eggs.....I didn't realize that.  I did have 2 pieces of rye toast

though. It was delicious......no salt in it either.......add a bit of Mrs Dash!

• Like 2

Good morning........I know every day it is about "the same" these days but since it is Saturday,  I decided to make

myself an omelette for breakfast🙂.  I use margarine and always have....put a couple of pats in the pan and sauteed

some onion, mushrooms and grape tomatoes---with cheese of course!.......(added the cheese at the end so it melted

into it.).  I know I have to watch my carbs.....none in eggs.....I didn't realize that.  I did have 2 pieces of rye toast

Try a spray instead of the margarine (FYI, butter is better). I’m glad you like the Mrs Dash. We’ve used it for years, great on veggies

1 hour ago, awhfy said:

Try a spray instead of the margarine (FYI, butter is better). 

Yeah, I think for the last five or ten years the experts have said that butter is better for you than margarine.  Good for me, I like the taste of butter better.

Also, eggs do contain a very small amount of carbs.  This I learned on the Lose before you cruise Section of Cruise Critic.  I always used to go on Atkins before a cruise.

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

You'll discover all sorts of things that you can have and still be within your daily carb limit.  Me?  I would have added bacon to that omelette!  

My house dodged the snow bullet - only got rain.   the snow level ended up a couple hundred feet up from us.  My house is at about 6400 ft, the snow was at 6800 ft, the upper part of town.  

Today's fashion - I may run around naked!  I'm a little tired of trying to figure out which leggings to wear, which Tshirt to wear.  That was the one good thing about my working in Hospitality - I either had a uniform, wore suits, or, at my last/current spot, black or blue pants/leggings and sweaters.  Having to come up with something totally on my own every day, without rules, is challenging!!!  But, next week, I can add in running shorts/skorts into the mix with temps climbing into summer temps. 

• Like 1

Well, I have a cholesterol issue as well......butter is not better for me.😦........but I will try the spray thing. 

I have not used butter for many, many, MANY years..........I am definitely fine with the taste it.

The only time I can remember using butter? If I am baking and the recipe calls for it.

12 minutes ago, mafig said:

Yeah, I think for the last five or ten years the experts have said that butter is better for you than margarine.  Good for me, I like the taste of butter better.

Also, eggs do contain a very small amount of carbs.  This I learned on the Lose before you cruise Section of Cruise Critic.  I always used to go on Atkins before a cruise.

Eggs do have some carbs, but if you are on 30-40 grams of carbs for a primary meal, eggs are a good way to go.  Plus they do have some protein to add to the mix. 

Well, when I googled eggs this morning...........it said they have none.........I must have been looking at a funky website.

1 minute ago, Lois R said:

Well, I have a cholesterol issue as well......butter is not better for me.😦........but I will try the spray thing. 

Another thing you could do is to buy one of those whiz-bang "non-stick" pans.  You know, the ones you see on tv where they melt the hard candy and it slides out or melts cheese and it slides out.  I bet they have these at Walmart, Target or Bed Bath and Beyond.   I have an ancient Calphalon fry pan that still works for me, but I may go in and find another pan sometime soon.  I may go to a store rather than ordering online - I'm becoming WAY too familiar with my UPS and FedEX guys!!!

2 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Well, when I googled eggs this morning...........it said they have none.........I must have been looking at a funky website.

No, I double-checked myself - no carbs, but a little fat for the egg itself.  

I KNEW there was a reason I had started buying a bunch of eggs in the last year!!!!   Who knew that bacon & eggs could be good for you???

• Like 1