for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

Home from my colonoscopy and the Dr said everything went well🙂 and now I can eat real food LOL.......I already

made 2 eggs with 2 pieces of rye toast..............it tasted absolutely DELICIOUS😀

• Like 3

19 hours ago, awhfy said:

Hi all just checking in. Well, after an 8 hour surgery yesterday they repaired both hernias. Then this morning they took me down for an upper GI. I’m having a real party. At least they did both repairs & I should heal now

oh my gosh, that is a longgg surgery.   I hope you heal up well & can be home soon.  Is your family allowed to visit at all?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Home from my colonoscopy and the Dr said everything went well🙂 and now I can eat real food LOL.......I already

made 2 eggs with 2 pieces of rye toast..............it tasted absolutely DELICIOUS😀

that's great, & solid food again, Yay!   Hopefully not too many more procedures for you in the near future:)

My internet is fixed & now I'm going to have to spend a lot of time catching up on my actual work :)

We are having our first "in person" work meeting today,  it will be outdoors at the club, we have a big table reserved for just the four of us on our team, so we will all be at least 8 feet apart...  I will put on real clothes today,  planning on a black sleeveless sheaf dress with a  tan w/black stripes linen ruana, black sling booties, a sun hat & a cute mask :)

Hopefully I still remember how to behave around real human beings :)

• Like 1

Melody, hope you are doing OK and healing is going well. I bet that Les is a big help and hopefully he does ok in the kitchen preparing all your liquid meals. 

Lois, glad your colonoscopy is now over. Yes, that first meal afterwards is always enjoyable!

cruiseKitty, love the description of your outfit! Gosh a chance to dress up and go somewhere-that must be exciting, even if it is work related. 

Sharon

• Like 1

Well, up here we have Red Flag warnings again from today through Friday.  They issue those for extremely low humidity with wind - prime time for fires.  We're all keeping our fingers crossed.

I visited my hair stylist again today.  Next time we're going to do our summer highlighting and add in a rebel red streak somewhere underneath.  She noticed I have lots of little hairs - that's a good sign that the hair that I lost when I first was very sick is starting to come back!  I'm glad because my hair feels so less when I grab it to ponytail it.

One thing I did have to tell everyone.  I wore one of my Johnny Was masks.  We started talking about masks and she said one of her clients gave her 2 masks earlier in the week.  Turns out they are Johnny Was!!!    She said they were easy to wear all day long.  She brought one out and it was a nice silk outside.  The other one she hadn't taken out yet was all cotton.  Mine are all cotton sateen.  So, it looks like you can get any fabrics they have as leftovers.  I wore my Johnny Was all 3 hours with no problem today.    It seems that all the "well dressed women" are doing Johnny Was!!! 

OOTD:  My grey short-sleeve T with a stylized camel on it that I bought in Amman, Jordan, my trusty Prana cammo pants that I've had since 2007 (has adjustable waist, so they work as "hip hugger" pants), my trail runners.  Accessories were the usual watch and twisted fabric bracelets, purple crystal studs up top and my carabiner earrings.  No hat as my hair looks really good today!!

Hope everyone has a good day!!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, cruise kitty said:

oh my gosh, that is a longgg surgery.   I hope you heal up well & can be home soon.  Is your family allowed to visit at all?

I’m home now, but only my husband could visit the 3 days I was in. I’m on full liquids for 2 weeks (no wine tho)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

I’m home now, but only my husband could visit the 3 days I was in. I’m on full liquids for 2 weeks (no wine tho)

You need the Bass-O-Matic!!!  (homage to original Saturday Night Live).   

Did you ask if you can do some protein powder in your liquids to try to keep up your calories?    Or, even drink those Bolthouse/Odwalla/Naked smoothies that have a lot of calories???    Or, let your favorite ice cream melt...  

• Like 1

Good morning, you know the past 3 days my glucose number has been in the excellent range----because I had virtually nothing to eat (well, broth, liquids, etc......)

Now I am really wondering if the nutritionist did give me a high carb number for daily carbs?

if I choose to just cut down on them and not go by "her menu info", would that be

a bad thing or not?  I will have to give it some thought............I know we are allowed some and

I also know they all turn to sugar.........

12 hours ago, slidergirl said:

You need the Bass-O-Matic!!!  (homage to original Saturday Night Live).   

Did you ask if you can do some protein powder in your liquids to try to keep up your calories?    Or, even drink those Bolthouse/Odwalla/Naked smoothies that have a lot of calories???    Or, let your favorite ice cream melt...  

Muscle Milk, Boost, protein powder. I made a Mango smoothie With Odwalla mango/orange juice, jarred mangos & vanilla yogurt with a scoop of protein powder for dinner last night. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning, you know the past 3 days my glucose number has been in the excellent range----because I had virtually nothing to eat (well, broth, liquids, etc......)

Now I am really wondering if the nutritionist did give me a high carb number for daily carbs?

if I choose to just cut down on them and not go by "her menu info", would that be

a bad thing or not?  I will have to give it some thought............I know we are allowed some and

I also know they all turn to sugar.........

give it some time.  See what happens if you follow the carbs she gave you.  When I started, I cut way back.  I was not getting much of anything, maybe 10-15 carbs a meal.  She had me up my carbs and my numbers were still good and I felt much better.  You need balanced meals, not just carb-empty meals.  That was something important to learn!

• Like 1

I just got back from my ophthalmologist. My right eye has been really red and the vision has blurred as the week went on.  I first thought it was just "allergy eye", but drops didn't work.  Turns out I have Herpes zoster opthalmicus. Basically, chicken pox virus that stays with you.  It comes back usually as shingles (I had in 1992), but it can also come back and mess up your eye.  Fortunately, it is easily fixed with antiviral meds and prednisone drops.  A 10 day course.  Since it is affecting my eye that is my "far vision" eye, I can't do any driving other than to/from the store because it's all fuzzy.   So, going camping next week may not happen until the end of the week.  Bummer. 

On the good side, she did my Diabetes exam while I was there (type 2 is recommended to get an dilated exam each year) and all is good on that front.  

OOTD:  Yesterday re-do.  I didn't wear what I wore much yesterday, so I just put it on for today.  I did change the earrings to my safety pin earrings, though.  What can I say?  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I just got back from my ophthalmologist. My right eye has been really red and the vision has blurred as the week went on.  I first thought it was just "allergy eye", but drops didn't work.  Turns out I have Herpes zoster opthalmicus. Basically, chicken pox virus that stays with you.  It comes back usually as shingles (I had in 1992), but it can also come back and mess up your eye.  Fortunately, it is easily fixed with antiviral meds and prednisone drops.  A 10 day course.  Since it is affecting my eye that is my "far vision" eye, I can't do any driving other than to/from the store because it's all fuzzy.   So, going camping next week may not happen until the end of the week.  Bummer. 

On the good side, she did my Diabetes exam while I was there (type 2 is recommended to get an dilated exam each year) and all is good on that front.  

OOTD:  Yesterday re-do.  I didn't wear what I wore much yesterday, so I just put it on for today.  I did change the earrings to my safety pin earrings, though.  What can I say?  

Hi, oh my goodness...........hope your eye will be ok!!!  Take care of yourself please.

Thanks all.  I had never heard of this third way this virus messes with people.  I never knew anyone with it,.  If you haven't had that shingles vaccination, get it!  My optho said the vaccination does help prevent this.  

As long as the fuzziness goes away fast, I'm good.  It's a good look, though, with a mask - I look seriously scary!!  

Kat, I hope the meds clear this up quickly.  I had no idea that Shingles could manifest itself in this way. I’ve had the original Shingles vaccine and the newer, more effective one that is given in 2 doses. Good to hear that the vaccine can give protection. 

I certainly have have learned a lot from all you girls!😊

Sharon

Good morning......yesterday I went out to lunch🙂 you can now eat at restaurants that have food served at the bar.

Anyone know the chain called SEASONS 52? It is really good........I had what would normally be a chicken caprese

sandwich but I told them to hold the bread...not sure how many carbs are in Ciabatta bread  but it has to be a lot LOL....

so had the grilled chicken breast.....it came with the cheese and sundried tomatoes, on top of a nice salad......

with baby spring  mix and a light vinaigrette dressing.  It was delicious.    And for dinner last night I made myself

a fresh piece of tuna.........had a bit of sweet potatoes and a salad. 

• Like 2

Lois, it looks like you’re getting the hang of the new diet. That chicken caprese sounds delightful, exactly how I would’ve had it served. 

Kat, hope your eye continues to heal. I, too, hadn’t heard of chicken pox in the eye. 

I'm taking it very easy, not easy to get up out of chairs/recliners, so I tend to stay put. Our weather has been fabulous so I’m sitting under the gazebo in my reclining camp chair. Never thought I’d get tired of milkshakes! Melody

2 hours ago, awhfy said:

Lois, it looks like you’re getting the hang of the new diet. That chicken caprese sounds delightful, exactly how I would’ve had it served. 

Kat, hope your eye continues to heal. I, too, hadn’t heard of chicken pox in the eye. 

I'm taking it very easy, not easy to get up out of chairs/recliners, so I tend to stay put. Our weather has been fabulous so I’m sitting under the gazebo in my reclining camp chair. Never thought I’d get tired of milkshakes! Melody

We're a sad bunch of old women, aren't we??? 😜

Melody - just stay put in the recliner!  When I had my shoulder surgery, I bought a recliner on the advice of friends who also had surgery.  I just planted myself there, even slept there.  Easy on the body and allows for healing since you're static.  

Lois - I would have taken the caprese on just the bottom piece of ciabatta.  It's my one major guilty pleasure I can't get rid of - I'l make sure it's 0 carbs on top!!!   Last night I just made some pork loin chops - put some lemon pepper on them and tossed them under the broiler.   I have to do some serious thinking about what to do tonight - I'm leaning toward Wendy's Chicken Apple Pecan Salad.  I really like that one!  But, I don't use the Pomegranate dressing that comes with it - too sweet for me.  I'll just make a little vinegarette - oil, vinegar, whole grain mustard, a nice low-carb addition.  If you ever out and about, that salad is a good pick up if you need to eat!  

I had to look up herpes zoster in the eye.  Why had we never heard about this???   I get I guess at least 7 days of "quarantine" since I really can't see well enough to drive.  My grocery store is not even a mile away and it's via a little frontage road, so I can at least do that.  And my Optho is in that same area.   I guess it's a good thing that my Andrea Bocelli concert for 5/16 was cancelled - I wouldn't have been able to drive to LA and I wouldn't have been able to really see the concert.  

OOTD: Since I'm not going anywhere, I'm lounging in my gray sleeveless hoodie dress again.  It's hot and windy again, so less clothes is the better choice today.  

Have a good Saturday!!!!

• Like 1

If you think we are a bunch of old sad women now? You should have seen me in the hospital in April........I probably

looked liked death at that time😧....and I went to some very dark (really dark) places throughout my stay........so 

at least now I am home and can say recovery is happening.............🙂

Yes, that caprese was delicious and I probably could have eaten 1/2 the bread and it would have been

ok. I didn't even think to order it that way.....next time!   Today I went out for lunch again. This

time to Longhorn's....had a grilled steak salad.....so big I have enough for another meal. And it

came with their whole wheat loaf.----I admit I cut myself a couple of slices to have with the salad.

OMG......warm and those were the only carbs of the meal.  It had the steak, tomatoes, cucs, cheese,

and they make their own blue cheese dressing from scratch. 😃

• Like 3

Lois, you are making good progress and finding lots of yummy food choices! 

Kat, I love that salad from Wendy’s and I do use the dressing but only a tiny drizzle.is enough. I’ve never been a fan of lots of dressing on salads which is a good thing I guess. Hope your fire danger is subsiding. CA is so dry that it is always an issue here.

OOTD-I found a coral eyelet tee that I haven’t worn in ages so decided to give it a chance. Trying to figure out why I haven’t worn it in so long.

BTW, yes recliners can’t be comfy for sleeping. I have no problem napping in one especially if I’m reading.  

Sharon

I haven't checked in for a week or more, I think. I am just exhausted every day from work, but things should ease up right around the July 4th holiday....  If I can just keep going til then.

No medical issues, but I wish I had more time to enjoy making meals during this stay-at-home period. As it is, I work from 7:30-8:00 am every day until at least 7:00 pm, and then I am too tired to want to do much that's interesting. Luckily I live in an area with great take-out options. A couple of days ago I ordered dinner of two fish tacos and a delicious citrus-y jalapeno slaw. I could eat that just about every night, truthfully....  Tonight we are going to get take-out (bucatini carbonara, they do it so well!) from our local Tuscan store/take-away. Did I mention I'm also working half-days during the weekend?  So. much. fun.

Stay well everyone. Hopefully we'll all soon reach better times!

slidergirl -- OMG, your eye!  I have been meaning to get that shingles vaccine. Next time I get to my regular doctor I am getting that taken care of immediately. My GIL (grandmother in law) had shingles at the end of her life and it was horrible for her. I always knew I wanted to get the vaccine but I've just put it off. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

I haven't checked in for a week or more, I think. I am just exhausted every day from work, but things should ease up right around the July 4th holiday....  If I can just keep going til then.

No medical issues, but I wish I had more time to enjoy making meals during this stay-at-home period. As it is, I work from 7:30-8:00 am every day until at least 7:00 pm, and then I am too tired to want to do much that's interesting. Luckily I live in an area with great take-out options. A couple of days ago I ordered dinner of two fish tacos and a delicious citrus-y jalapeno slaw. I could eat that just about every night, truthfully....  Tonight we are going to get take-out (bucatini carbonara, they do it so well!) from our local Tuscan store/take-away. Did I mention I'm also working half-days during the weekend?  So. much. fun.

Stay well everyone. Hopefully we'll all soon reach better times!

slidergirl -- OMG, your eye!  I have been meaning to get that shingles vaccine. Next time I get to my regular doctor I am getting that taken care of immediately. My GIL (grandmother in law) had shingles at the end of her life and it was horrible for her. I always knew I wanted to get the vaccine but I've just put it off. 

I'm getting tacos from my favorite take out restaurant tonight.  No fish, but one is shredded chicken and one shredded pork.  A side of their yummy blueberry citrus slaw.  We still can't have 3rd party delivery yet here, so I'll make the .5 mile drive to pick it up.  

I had shingles in 1993, a case right in the middle of my lower back.  I couldn't wear pants/shorts/leggings as it was right there.  I couldn't sit or get back up as that's where your back moves and stretches when you do that.  It was excruciating.  That was pre-vaccine.  I've always said between shingles and noro - I wouldn't wish those on anyone.  (yes, I had noro - caught it at the St. Regis Deer Valley, a nice Forbes 4 star resort.  Yes, confirmed it was from there).  

Lois - I still remember 2 years ago when I was sent to the ER and almost went into diabetic coma.  The week before I got sent to the ER were horrible - felt bad, felt like I was falling apart, and my manager wouldn't let me take time off if I couldn't find someone to take my shift (I never could).  But, it was the start of getting things back together.  I just keep running into "hiccups" that remind me that I'm not as young as I once was.  I still have those lows - I've got one going now - I'm out of work, have eye issues, what if my eye does't return to normal, that $600 benefit is going away in July, etc.  I try to not dwell on them, but when I'm stuck at home, it's hard to keep them at bay.  Sorry the the Debbie Downer there.  

• Like 1