for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

8 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

the consignment store probably got a lot of summer clothes already because of everyone having time to clear out the closets!   I have a couple of Hefty Bags full of clothes to to take to our local domestic violence shelter and our Christian outreach center.  We have a consignment store in town, but we boycott it - it has been known to go to the outreach center buy stuff, then resell at a higher price.  I have an ethical and moral issue with that.  We give to the outreach center for a reason!!

This one is local and well regarded. They only take women's career clothing and they donate "expired" items to our local "Dress for Success" which helps prepare and equip women for better employment opportunities.

• Like 1

Hi friends, all the food sounds good😀.  It is VERY hot here---July in Florida...........mid to upper 90s right now.

I have been making an effort to walk every day and go in the mornings before it gets too bad outside.

And I found out some sort of fun news the other day (for a change). I have a Capital 1 VISA and as many cards, they

have rewards every time you make a purchase.   Well, I was checking my account and they have added a "new reward".

It goes through Sept 30th....any food purchases (restaurants/eat in or take out) can be paid for with any reward

points that you have on your account.  I have some  points but they are just sitting there.........most people use

them for flights I know but not flying anywhere anytime soon.  So,  I was able to pay for 4 different times I ate out

over the last few weeks with my points! 😀.    You can also use the points for any streaming services you may have 

for that same time period.  It is like I got 4 free meals!!!  I might as well use them up......I ate at First Watch yesterday

for lunch so once that sale posts to my account, I will use more points to pay of it. Nice to get something free!

Well, Disney opened this weekend and I saw some families who were supposed to go and they decided they 

were not comfortable going in------they had driven down from Virginia.  They gave an interview and were sort of

surprised how many Floridians are NOT wearing masks😲.......and people wonder why we had 15,000 cases

over night...............Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

Kat, good to see you posting more. Your eye must be feeling better. 

Lois, always nice to get some freebies! Our inside dining is closed again, just outdoor dining now and take out of course. Passed a Denney’s and saw tables  set up in the parking lot with pop up tents. Did not look very inviting to me but there were people eating at them.. 

So its 101 here right now on its way up to 105🔥. We also have  bad air which happens as a result of the high temps. Don’t want to be outside at all-even early in the morning! Just plain ugly!

cruisemom, sounds like a nice consignment store. We have one here that is very particular and does a nice job displaying items for sale. They also donate items that don’t sell and then email a receipt to the consignor. 

We haven’t heard from cruise kitty in awhile. I’m interested in hearing how her garage door make over turned out. 

Hoping everyone one stays safe and cool!

Sharon

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hey Sharon, did you see the news about the Naval Ship in San Diego? WOW.......a 3 alarm fire!😲

Hi Lois, yes, that is quite a fire. Thank heavens that nobody has died. Lots of smoke and bad air too. I guess it will take a long time before it is completely out.

Well, it actually went to 108 degrees today! Just hope the power stays on. PG&E  isn’t all that good at that.

Sharon

Lois - I tried to reply to your post about Disney.  Someone apparently, well, you know 😉

My eye doesn't look like something from a horror movie anymore, but it's still a bit fuzzy.  I've got one big floatie in there that bothers the crap outta me and I may do some self-surgery if it doesn't go away (not really, but that's how much it bugs me).  I'm still trying my best to limit my screen time.   

I emailed my one friend who has a hubby who is a Marine helicopter pilot.  They are currently in Japan.  But, I wanted to be sure that none of his buddies were affected by that fire on the Bonhomme Richard; fortunately, none were there.  

It's still stinking hot up here, but at least not as hot as yesterday.  Man, I could not get to sleep - bedroom window wide open and ceiling fan going and I was still sweating.  At least today it is supposed to stop at about 82 instead of 87.

For the California herd - I just saw on TV that Gov. Newsom has decided to roll back to have a bunch of the indoor stuff off the books for awhile (no indoor dining, no bars no gyms, no movies, etc).  It's a smart idea, I think.  When the stats keep rising fast, shut it down for like 2-3 weeks to see if it settles.  Here in UT, we're in a weird limbo - each county has to ask the Gov. for permission to do anything other than what the Gov has deemed good.  At least my county has permission for a mask mandate (UT has none) until Sept. 1 for now.  Picked up another pack of Johnny Was masks - I paid the extra for the silk ones this time.  I'll keep some for myself and give some others as gifts to the women who have been taking care of me and my eye.  I'll probably put one in a ziplock bag and put it on the doorstep of the nice lady who gave me 2 of her disposables to get me through until mine showed up.  I did come up with a new game to play:  go through my Johnny Was catalogs and see if I can find something made from the material one of my masks.  It should be fun.  

It's National French Fry Day!!!  Go get your favorite fries and celebrate with some sparkling wine!!!!   

• Like 1

Yep, hair salons are also closed down again in most counties including ours! I personally don’t think that hair salons are a big source of the spread. From what I see going on, there are many people who aren’t willing to follow the rules. They gather in groups, without masks, get together in large family gatherings at lakes, and back yards. There doesn’t seem to be any regulations or enforcement  in those situations. 

Kat, let us know what you think of the silk masks compared to the cotton. I looked at both and wondered which would be more comfortable and would make breathing easier.

As for WDW opening, I saw an interview with a family from CA who were very happy to be visiting WDW. (Disneyland is closed) Just can’t imagine getting on a 6 hr flight and then spending what ever time in WDW with this virus so rampant in both CA and FL! 

Sharon

Sharon - I'll be wearing one on Wednesday, so I'll let you know the comparison of the masks.  Don't want to make you feel bad, but I'm going to see my hair stylist.  It might be time for the Summertime Highlights, depending on how we feel.  

I meant to ask - awhfy:  how are your sutures/stitches/staples doing? I'm hoping by now they are out and healing nicely.  

I talked (well, via email) to my now-ex today.  He asked how my eye is doing.  He's down in Florence, AZ.  He said it was still 100 degrees last night at 11pm!!!!   I would have been sleeping in the refrigerator!!!!!!   

Just a Wendy's apple pecan chicken salad tonight.  Too hot to cook.   

• Like 1

Kat, no Staples, stitches. All incisions closed by superglue (even the 8”One!). I’ve developed a fluid sac (called a seroma) on the long incision, I’ll likely need to get it drained in a couple of weeks if it doesn’t resolve itself (sometimes the body just reabsorbs the fluid). 

sounds like they didn’t get everything in your eye if you still have a big floater. I had to have retina surgery on both eyes about 5-6 years after my cataract surgery to replace the vitrius gel. I had horrible floaters, now none; I don’t miss them. 

we’ve been in the grasp of a really nasty heat wave for a couple of weeks now & expect at least another week. Thunderstorms, but very little rain. Last decent rain we had was the 4th of July for a couple of hours. It’s very unusual for us to have this long spell of just heat. Melody

4 hours ago, awhfy said:

Kat, no Staples, stitches. All incisions closed by superglue (even the 8”One!). I’ve developed a fluid sac (called a seroma) on the long incision, I’ll likely need to get it drained in a couple of weeks if it doesn’t resolve itself (sometimes the body just reabsorbs the fluid). 

sounds like they didn’t get everything in your eye if you still have a big floater. I had to have retina surgery on both eyes about 5-6 years after my cataract surgery to replace the vitrius gel. I had horrible floaters, now none; I don’t miss them. 

we’ve been in the grasp of a really nasty heat wave for a couple of weeks now & expect at least another week. Thunderstorms, but very little rain. Last decent rain we had was the 4th of July for a couple of hours. It’s very unusual for us to have this long spell of just heat. Melody

I forget that Superglue is used now, too.  Hope the sac resolves itself!!

I'll find out about the big floaties when I go in.   I wonder if I messed something up when I was sleeping - I turn a lot and sleep on my sides - I feel the pillow on my eye and I try to re-arrange it.  What was it like to have the gel replaced?  I was reading about that surgery.  I've had cataract surgery on both my eyes.   Knowing Medicare, they'd probably call that one "elective" 🙄  

I know what you mean abut the heat.  I remember having these temps for maybe 1 week in August, but never earlier and this long.   I turned my little landscaping border into a "natural" area that I don't water - I haven't turned on my sprinklers for 2 years now.  So, I don't have to worry about how it ends up - it's got some grasses and Columbine so it does just fine, 

One more lazy day today.  I've got some stuff to do tomorrow, so I'll rest up for it.   OOTD:  since I did a big load of laundry last night, I'm back in the gray sleeveless hoodie minidress.  Shoeless, of course.  And, I've discovered that my neck feels MUCH better if I put my hair up in a really high pony...

Take care ladies!

• Like 1

Kat, my retina surgery was covered fully by Medicare (& my supplements) zero out of pocket. I did have the eye patched for 5 days & zero driving or reading or computer for 2 weeks following  

Hi girls.......not sure if any of you have a J Alexander's in your area but if you do, they have a wonderful roasted

chicken on their menu.  I went there for dinner tonight and it was large enough for 2 meals so I have plenty of

leftovers🙂. It usually comes with potatoes but I got sauteed spinach instead.........it is sooo good!😀

Hope everyone stays safe..........cases look like they are going up all over the country.☹️

Sharon:  I had to go out an hour ago to pick up some dinner as I was way too lazy to cook and Cruise Mom put that Sonoma Chicken Salad picture in my brain.   So, I wore one of my silk masks.  It felt really nice on - slightly heavier so it didn't keep folding weird when I moved my mouth.  BUT, I think it was a smidge too warm for hot weather.  It was 85 when I went to the store.  I'll give it another go tomorrow.  Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Lois - yep, cases are going up everywhere.  I think we're now getting the results of the 4th of July festivities.   We are in that "increased 10-50% from last week" category.  Mad at that because we've worked really hard up here in our town and even we had a fairly substantial increase.  We had a very sad situation today.  An elderly man was being taken to a test site because he was having symptoms.  A caregiver and a driver were with him as they waited in the car line to get tested (all our sites here in UT are outside).  When they got to the front of the line, the man was unresponsive and could not be revived.   Why they waited in line and didn't go to the ER - no one knows...  

Kat, thanks for the mask update because our weather is just plain hot! We had a cooler today-98! Going back up tomorrow. So the silk masks are most likely not a good idea for me. Another question-the website does not say how many layers either of the mask choices are. The only info is that they are lined with cotton. Are you able to tell the number of layers?  Can’t quite picture what you mean by weird folding?

Hope you enjoyed the Sonoma Chicken Salad. Also hope your eye floaters are not serious. 

Numbers going up up here also so not sure what the next steps will be if things don’t turn around soon. Hospital beds, staff etc is in short supply. BTW, I did not know that Utah does not require masks state wide. I wish that we had uniform policies everywhere instead of this piecemeal stuff. 

Lois, we don’t have that restaurant here but your dinner sounds good.  FL is in the news so much. Can you dine indoors or outdoors only? Gosh if I lived in FL I just might pull the sheet over my head and hibernate until the powers that be get it all figured out. I can’t imagine what it will be like this winter when things move indoors and we have the usual yearly winter crud!

Stay cool and safe everyone!

Sharon

Good morning friends.  Sharon, we still have indoor dining---spaced out.  I was able to eat at the bar and they had 

put room between bar stools.........it is a pretty long bar and so there were sets of 2,then 6 feet........another set of 2,

another 6 feet, etc.    It is really south Florida that is in trouble.........I am 350 miles north of that area.  I do wear a mask when I am going out. 

13 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Sharon:  I had to go out an hour ago to pick up some dinner as I was way too lazy to cook and Cruise Mom put that Sonoma Chicken Salad picture in my brain.   So, I wore one of my silk masks.  It felt really nice on - slightly heavier so it didn't keep folding weird when I moved my mouth.  BUT, I think it was a smidge too warm for hot weather.  It was 85 when I went to the store.  I'll give it another go tomorrow.  Just wanted to give you a heads up.

Lois - yep, cases are going up everywhere.  I think we're now getting the results of the 4th of July festivities.   We are in that "increased 10-50% from last week" category.  Mad at that because we've worked really hard up here in our town and even we had a fairly substantial increase.  We had a very sad situation today.  An elderly man was being taken to a test site because he was having symptoms.  A caregiver and a driver were with him as they waited in the car line to get tested (all our sites here in UT are outside).  When they got to the front of the line, the man was unresponsive and could not be revived.   Why they waited in line and didn't go to the ER - no one knows...  

that’s so sad 😢

Sharon: more mask testing today.  I wore my silk one again today.  It was 85 degrees and I was OK.  I still think the cotton ones were better for hotter weather.  But, it could be me.   It may be that the cotton ones stay "folded" better and the silk wants to flush out.  At my hair stylist today, she gave me one of her disposables to wear while she colored (we "deskunked" and then added red highlights around to be fun and different).  Honestly, that one was hotter than either of the cotton or silk ones, if that gives you some direction.  Both types of Johnny Was masks are 2 layers pleated, just like the disposables.  But, they have a pocket between the 2 layers where you can insert a filter (coffee filter, shop towel, whatever) if you want.  So, I'd would rank the cotton first, silk second, disposable third.  

I had to pick up toilet bowl cleaner today (have you realized you have to clean the bowl more frequently now that we're home??) so I hit up the store on the way home.  I was happy to see that they had Mango Cart, Melon Cart, and Pineapple Cart beer in the "build your own 6 pack" section, so I got one of each, and then an apple blonde ale from Colorado (Breckenridge Brewing), and a blueberry hefe and a blueberry tart ale from my local breweries.  Way more than I usually buy, but I figure I could have on a day.  

OOTD:  my Athleta camo Tshirt paired with my gray Athleta running skort.  White WrightSocks with my el-cheapo Just Fab tennis shoes (white, purple, orange with some leopard spot pieces).  I'm really enjoying my running skorts - kind of sassy but not skimpy like running shorts.  I may have to shop around for another one to put into the hot weather rotation.  They'd do well on a non-camping vacation, even a Caribbean cruise.  

Done with my computer time.  Have a good evening ladies!

• Like 1

Kat, thanks for the additional mask info, especially the comparison to the disposable mask. That really put it all in perspective for me.

Sounds like you had a good day and will have a few more to look forward to as you enjoy your various brews. We have several breweries here and also wineries just no distilleries.

I so agree about the toilet cleaning but I will have to add to that there is just  more cleaning all the way around-vacuuming, dusting, running the DW and so on. So that is what I did this morning, finished about 1 then showered and put on the same ole-just clean. Oh, and no make up.
Sharon

Edited by purduemom1
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning friends.  Sharon, we still have indoor dining---spaced out.  I was able to eat at the bar and they had 

put room between bar stools.........it is a pretty long bar and so there were sets of 2,then 6 feet........another set of 2,

another 6 feet, etc.    It is really south Florida that is in trouble.........I am 350 miles north of that area.  I do wear a mask when I am going out. 

Hi Lois, glad you can enjoy dining out. No inside dining here, only outside. I hope your part of FL keeps the virus under control. I heard that the Republican convention might have outdoor activities? I guess that might help but isn’t it kinda humid this time of year?

Sharon

6 hours ago, purduemom1 said:

Hi Lois, glad you can enjoy dining out. No inside dining here, only outside. I hope your part of FL keeps the virus under control. I heard that the Republican convention might have outdoor activities? I guess that might help but isn’t it kinda humid this time of year?

Sharon

Good morning.....I have to shake my head at a lot of this stuff......not just humid......HORRIBLY humid........and 

August is HURRICANE SEASON...... yes, they are saying "outdoor venues".........oh and August in Florida?

It rains almost every day as well.........and that is normally in the afternoons.   You would think someone would 

research this stuff.............

I am looking for a new tv😀.......I went to Best Buy yesterday and saw a few.....then when I looked on line at

their website I saw one for less than what I was going to spend.......same brand, same size.......so I am going

back to the store later this morning and will speak to them again. Right now I have a 42 inch SONY......(it is my

3rd SONY).....so I really like them.  I am looking at a 55 inch.....mine looks really small compared to that new one LOL

5 hours ago, Lois R said:

Good morning.....I have to shake my head at a lot of this stuff......not just humid......HORRIBLY humid........and 

August is HURRICANE SEASON...... yes, they are saying "outdoor venues".........oh and August in Florida?

It rains almost every day as well.........and that is normally in the afternoons.   You would think someone would 

research this stuff.............

Do you need us to pray for a hurricane????  Nothing bad, just maybe a Cat 2...  Maybe toss in a love bug breakout.   <just kidding, kind of>  Do you get those nasty love bugs up in JAX?  

Unless one is used to that heat and humidity, it can be awful.  I just remember going to the Caymans for an anniversary trip in July.  It was absolutely oppressive!  I'd have to put another T-shirt in my bag to put on when we walked from the hotel to a restaurant!!!   My friend offers me her place in Cocoa Beach when she's not in it or AirBnB'd out - I can't exist there between May and October!!!   

Keep eating outdoors while you can...