for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Thanks, Lois, I imagine you do miss your dad daily.   He is doing ok, he is just become very frail and forgetful.  This year has aged him a lot, I saw a big difference between January and now. He is living by himself and refuses to even discuss leaving his house that is paid for.🙄. It would be good for him to be around other people but none of his children are able to talk to him about this, even moving in with one of us is not a consideration for him.  He says he is “going to die in his house” and I am afraid that will probably happen.😞

Hope everyone is safe and well from the hurricane, fires, etc.!

Sherri🙂

Sherri, you have siblings near him?  We had to put my dad in a nursing home.......very hard thing to do but it was

a very good, caring place.  Is the forgetful part concerning? My dad ended up with dimentia......it was very hard to

see him that way. Hope yours is not "too alone"...........

5 hours ago, sjb317 said:

So, we have been busy for a change!  This may have been an extremely stupid thing to do but we flew up to Indianapolis to spend a few days with my dad.  I haven’t seen him since my mom died in January and he is starting to have some issues at the age of 86, I really felt that we needed to go.  We stayed at a hotel and spent most of our time outside.  Strangely, I felt comfortable at the airport and on the plane,  I think the plane was the cleanest I’ve ever seen! 😂 We are flying back today and will semi quarantine for two weeks with only a trip to the grocery store.

OOTD:  gray khaki capris, white tshirt and peach hoodie, it is cold in Indy!

I have to catch up on all of the posts!

Sherri🙂

Sherri, I'm another who doesn't think it's stupid....   we decided months ago that there are certain "risks" we will take, we see our kids & grandkids, but we just do it outside & wear masks if we get close.  I lost my Dad in 2016, & miss him every day, so I totally get it :)   Yes, we need to be safe & careful, but we also need to be human.  Hope your dad is ok :)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sailor_Sally said:

Sherri, I think it was great that you went to visit your Dad . I was so close to booking a flight to New York to visit my daughter but I would have to quarantine for 14 days before I could visit her . A real bummer !

It’s so hard, isn’t it?  I’ve been feeling really guilty for not seeing him, I did not get to go to my mom’s graveside service as Dad refused to postpone it and it seemed like a good time to go while people, especially in Indiana, seem to be taking this seriously.  

I hope you get to visit your daughter soon!

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lois R said:

Sherri, you have siblings near him?  We had to put my dad in a nursing home.......very hard thing to do but it was

a very good, caring place.  Is the forgetful part concerning? My dad ended up with dimentia......it was very hard to

see him that way. Hope yours is not "too alone"...........

Yes, I have 2 siblings in the same town and one just a few hours away in southern Indiana.  But I am the oldest and the “responsible” one who my parentsalways called if they needed something.   They can handle things now.  I don’t think he had any form of dementia, just forgetfulness and a little confusion at times.  And he is just so darn stubborn, my sister has asked him to move in with her and he refuses.  She wanted me to talk him into it but he won’t even discuss it.🙄

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, cruise kitty said:

Sherri, I'm another who doesn't think it's stupid....   we decided months ago that there are certain "risks" we will take, we see our kids & grandkids, but we just do it outside & wear masks if we get close.  I lost my Dad in 2016, & miss him every day, so I totally get it 🙂   Yes, we need to be safe & careful, but we also need to be human.  Hope your dad is ok 🙂

Well, my theory is be safe and smart, wear masks, wash hands, etc.  If we should develop symptoms in a week or so, I may rethink the smart part.😂

So sorry about your dad.

Sherri🙂

29 minutes ago, sjb317 said:

Well, my theory is be safe and smart, wear masks, wash hands, etc.  If we should develop symptoms in a week or so, I may rethink the smart part.😂

So sorry about your dad.

Sherri🙂

same here, we're being what I think is extra cautious... wearing masks, etc...  I hope we're being careful enough :)  Best wishes for your dad :)

2 hours ago, sjb317 said:

Yes, I have 2 siblings in the same town and one just a few hours away in southern Indiana.  But I am the oldest and the “responsible” one who my parentsalways called if they needed something.   They can handle things now.  I don’t think he had any form of dementia, just forgetfulness and a little confusion at times.  And he is just so darn stubborn, my sister has asked him to move in with her and he refuses.  She wanted me to talk him into it but he won’t even discuss it.🙄

Sherri🙂

Sherri, we had the same issue with my Dad, it’s so very hard. Suggest a winter in FL & see if he’ll do that. I was an only child so it was me or nothing 

Sherri, I’m glad you found an opportunity to see your dad. You did the best you could to take precautions and seeing your dad is important. Tomorrow is promised to no one. You mentioned that the plane was very clean. May I ask which airline you used?

The fires are still going strong in the Sierras but last night some rain came in along with some wind and while that only offered limited help for the fires, it did clear our air up a bit. So today we actually were able to go outside! We could see the sun and  blue sky-first time in weeks! We got out for awhile and stopped for a curb side pick up before returning home. Such a small diversion and it just seemed huge. Something that we would have taken for granted before. 

Debbie, did you hear that a firefighter has passed away fighting that fire started at the gender reveal party? So sad.

Listening  to news while posting this and Ruth Bader Ginsburg has passed away. Strong lady who endured so much illness. May she rest in peace.

I still need to catch up on all the posts. Take care everyone!

Sharon

• Like 2

Hi girls..........yes, Ruth Bader Ginsburg  has died tonight........she was a hero, fighter and wonderful person who

fought for the rights of all.....especially women.  Not sure if any of you know this fact but she graduated 1st in

her Harvard Law Class but could not get a job after she graduated!!!!!!!!!!!  (Because she was a woman).........

We have come quite far since that time but still not far enough...........she will be sorely missed.☹️

• Like 3

17 hours ago, awhfy said:

Sherri, we had the same issue with my Dad, it’s so very hard. Suggest a winter in FL & see if he’ll do that. I was an only child so it was me or nothing 

My parents rented condos in the Panhandle area of a Florida for probably15 years so he could play golf at the Air Force base with a group of friends during the winter months.  He told me they started with a group of 30 and now have 5 left, so he thinks he is going to drive himself down there after Christmas.😳.  We have several family members , including my husband, who have said they will drive him down but he is resisting that.  I have asked him many times to fly down for a long visit, even told him I would buy him the ticket but he keeps saying he can’t do that.  He is just so stubborn!

Lois, you are right, I have become his parent!

The hamburgers look very good, as does the margarita😂

Sherri🙂

• Like 1

Sherri, I know it is very hard when they lose their independence but are you sure it is safe for him to even be driving?

I remember when my sister and I had to sort of hold an intervention with our Dad about that..........and 

as for your Dad driving all that way by himself?😲....that could be really dangerous (not trying to scare you) but 

that distance? Just doesn't sound like a good thing to do (in my view anyway).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Sherri, I know it is very hard when they lose their independence but are you sure it is safe for him to even be driving?

I remember when my sister and I had to sort of hold an intervention with our Dad about that..........and 

as for your Dad driving all that way by himself?😲....that could be really dangerous (not trying to scare you) but 

that distance? Just doesn't sound like a good thing to do (in my view anyway).

That’s what we all think as far as driving to Florida but he will not listen to anyone.  I don’t think he should be driving at all in Indiana but my siblings do not back me up on that. 

Sherri🙂

Maybe phrase it as if he is doing you a favor letting you ride/drive with him to Florida.  Maybe along the lines of you need a break from being home, want to see some sites and it would be great to have some one on one time with him on the way.  A big trip to spend time with dad.  Pick some things to see on the way there and a different route on the way back.  

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Keksie said:

Maybe phrase it as if he is doing you a favor letting you ride/drive with him to Florida.  Maybe along the lines of you need a break from being home, want to see some sites and it would be great to have some one on one time with him on the way.  A big trip to spend time with dad.  Pick some things to see on the way there and a different route on the way back.  

I don’t  think he would buy that, Keksie, as he knows one of us would be flying up from Florida to drive him down, so not doing us a favor.  And he would not want to stop places, he wants to get to golfing as quick as possible. 

Sherri🙂

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

That’s what we all think as far as driving to Florida but he will not listen to anyone.  I don’t think he should be driving at all in Indiana but my siblings do not back me up on that. 

Sherri🙂

I am really sorry about this.........when it comes to ageing parents, I think all the siblings should be on the same page.

So they think he is "good to drive"?

Morning all.  It is a sad day here at the house.  I am beyond sad at the passing of Ruth Bader Ginsberg.  She was an absolute lioness on the Supreme Court.  She broke boundaries for women from the time she went to college until her last breath.  She could have lived to 100 and we still would have needed more time.  Her passing on Rosh Hashanah is special  - someone who passes on that date are known as people of great righteousness (if I took what my Jewish friend wrote).  She tried to stay as long as she could.  She can now rest in power.  May her memory be a blessing. 

To add to the sadness, it's a cool, gray, rainy, dreary day.  It's a day for cuddling up in my fleece, drink a glass of wine to Justice Ginsberg, and get through it.  

Totally different:  what was that third picture of with the burgers?  Looked intriguing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sjb317 said:

I don’t  think he would buy that, Keksie, as he knows one of us would be flying up from Florida to drive him down, so not doing us a favor.  And he would not want to stop places, he wants to get to golfing as quick as possible. 

Sherri🙂

Sherri, I understand your difficulty,  I have a Mom who is difficult to say the least,  won't wear a mask :(  but wants us to help her with stuff...  & I'm the only one left, so of course I do, but I double mask.   Hope things get better with your Dad.   I know it's hard.  

• Like 1

Hi Ladies :)  so last night Earthquake...  basically right under us....Steve got knocked off the sofa & I, well I just freaked out....  usually I'm super cool about them but apparently I'm all tapped out for handling things.  Much better today,  & the wind has shifted so we have clean air finally :)   hope everyone has a great weekend.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, sjb317 said:

My parents rented condos in the Panhandle area of a Florida for probably15 years so he could play golf at the Air Force base with a group of friends during the winter months.  He told me they started with a group of 30 and now have 5 left, so he thinks he is going to drive himself down there after Christmas.😳.  We have several family members , including my husband, who have said they will drive him down but he is resisting that.  I have asked him many times to fly down for a long visit, even told him I would buy him the ticket but he keeps saying he can’t do that.  He is just so stubborn!

Lois, you are right, I have become his parent!

The hamburgers look very good, as does the margarita😂

Sherri🙂

Sherri, tell him you’d like to drive down with him & have the one-on-one time with him. That’s more likely to be more palatable to him. Not drive him down, but drive with him  Or say to fly down

Edited by awhfy