for fun: Do/Would you still put on all your makeup and decent clothes if you are quarantined

slidergirl

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

Hi Cynthia, I have lived in a condo for more than 25 years.  Just to make you aware, anything that happens inside

those walls are the owner's responsibility. Example, if I have a leak from pipes, the condo association is not 

responsible for the tab.....I am.   I love my place and am happy here and maybe NC has different "rules" for 

condos.  But here in Florida, inside issues are the owner's issues........

Anyway, glad you are ok and didn't have to call for an emergency plumber.

Thanks Lois -- yes it's true in most places (I think) that condo owners are responsible for inside issues. I'm just thinking that I wouldn't have a flooding basement to worry about, or squirrels getting into the attic (looking a paying a pest control company to "rodent proof" my house and it's another chunk of $$$$).

LADIES -- WHAT ARE WE DOING ABOUT HALLOWEEN?

I live in a very kid-friendly neighborhood. I generally get upward of 120 trick-or-treaters. I don't want to open my door and be face-to-face with all of these kids (and their parents).  Not to sound like a grinch, but we've had exactly ONE person in our house since February. 

Putting out a bowl of treats would probably not work very well -- I've seen these kids in action; unless I hand them the treat myself (or put it in their bag), they will grab a handful, even with me holding the bowl. If I just put it outside I will go through probably a thousand pieces of candy, no joke.

I would like to just put up a cute sign or something saying "no treats this year due to COVID, but come back next year" -- does that sound ok?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi, Saturday Night Live started in 1975, so it has been on the air for 45 years. I know when I graduated HS in 1976 it

was the original Chevy Chase group.  When I went off to college, on Saturday nights there was a group who would always go to "The Lounge" in the dorm to watch.

I haven't watched it lately but that satire of the debate was awesome😀

(just my opinion).

There was probably talk about it in high school so that could be why I watched it. It was the same way with Star Trek. Every day before german class there was a group that always talked about it so I decided to watch that. Ugh it was a waste of my time! Didn't like it. In my dorm it was General Hospital. There was always a large group of girls watching it in the tv area. Watched that a couple of times and wasn't my thing, of course now in watch it. 😀

2 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Wow, we had a wild night last night. Between 7pm and 8:30pm we had two tornado warnings, along with heavy rain. Then we had a flash flood warning basically all night. Around 11pm our sump pump alarm in the (unfinished) basement started going off. This had never happened since I installed it about 3 years ago.

We had no idea what to do as the instructions were delightfully vague.  To summarize, it more or less said that the alarm could be going off merely to alert us to the rising water level, in which case we should not worry, the pump was likely working. Or, it was malfunctioning and we should get a plumber immediately.  Of course there was no helpful information such as how to tell the difference between these two scenarios. :classic_angry:.......

Sorry to hear about your sump problems. That must have been really annoying. Glad the tornados didn't come your way. I have always been afraid of tornados and earthquakes. When we lived in the San Jose area my coworkers said hurricanes scarred them more than earthquakes. 😮  We lived there during the 1989 Loma Prieta one. That was scary. At least they only last a few minutes.

We then moved to Key West and experienced hurricane Andrew which luckily didn't really have any damage. Mike had to help fly planes out so he had me drive the RV with our kitty up to Jacksonville. He was afraid if I stayed home something would happen to me. It was a horrible sight driving thru Homestead 5 days later. I just broke down and cried most of the way back home. The pictures on tv really didn't show how horrific it was compared to seeing it in person. I think I prefer hurricanes because at least you can watch them and run.

Cynthia do you have any decorations outside? I would just turn out all the lights inside and out so it makes the house look uninviting and like no one is home. We have done this even with decorations outside when we have gone to a party. We didn't put out any decorations this year and we will keep the house dark during that time either watching tv or reading.

Edited by ReneeFLL

Cynthia - I didn't even think about where you live and the remnants of Delta!  Thank goodness it all worked out.  I've been lucky enough to never have a sump pump in my houses!  

I watch SNL only occasionally, and then only the cold openings.  I used to LOVE the ones with "Sarah Palin".  Alex Baldwin does an excellent Trump, Will Farrell did a great Bush and Brad Pitt made Dr Fauci's day.  So many other good "imitations" all the way back.  I'll say that Maya was spot on as Kamala Harris and Beck did his usual good job as Pence.  How he can keep a straight face and be so deadpan and monotone while Kate and Maya were cracking up, I"ll never know.  I was a little disappointed that Jeff Goldblum wasn't The Fly, but at least Jim Carey did an homage to him with the hair, glasses and, yes, the puke (he was in the movie "The Fly" and he did puke in it!).  

I still remember the classic SNL from the 70s - the Bass-o-Matic, the "hamburger, coke", the aliens...

Cold and gray day.  Looks like the snow level is about 7000 feet right now.  So, I've just got depressing rain.  

OOTD:  not going to even try the jeans!  Just my camo leggings and my "And Yet She Persisted" long-sleeve Tshirt.  Not cold enough on my slate floors for socks, so bare feet.  

Halloween wise:  the neighborhood is doing a kid's parade around the neighborhood, masks and social distancing required with adult supervision.  Then, from 3-5pm, those who want to participate in Trick or Treat will sit out on our driveways and come up with ways to give kids candy.  I'm going to put out my singing Skeleton (given to me by my skeleton athletes) so that he'll start to sing when the kids walk up.  I may buy cheap little baggies and put some candy in them and put them on the driveway so the kiddos can pick one up instead of diving into a bowl.  Decoration-wise, I have my luge made up, but I have some spider webbing to put up.  And, my singing Skeleton (he's never left alone, though).  I'll be sitting out there, weather-dependent, in my comfy camp lounger.  I'll probably put on my Mickey Mouse Wizard hat, even though it doesn't light up anymore.  

Edited by slidergirl

9 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Cynthia do you have any decorations outside? I would just turn out all the lights inside and out so it makes the house look uninviting and like no one is home. We have done this even with decorations outside when we have gone to a party. We didn't put out any decorations this year and we will keep the house dark during that time either watching tv or reading.

I don't have any yet. Was going to do some decorating this weekend but it has been rainy both days. Most people in our neighborhood do decorate though -- it'd feel weird not to.

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Halloween wise:  the neighborhood is doing a kid's parade around the neighborhood, masks and social distancing required with adult supervision.  Then, from 3-5pm, those who want to participate in Trick or Treat will sit out on our driveways and come up with ways to give kids candy.  I'm going to put out my singing Skeleton (given to me by my skeleton athletes) so that he'll start to sing when the kids walk up.  I may buy cheap little baggies and put some candy in them and put them on the driveway so the kiddos can pick one up instead of diving into a bowl.  Decoration-wise, I have my luge made up, but I have some spider webbing to put up.  And, my singing Skeleton (he's never left alone, though).  I'll be sitting out there, weather-dependent, in my comfy camp lounger.  I'll probably put on my Mickey Mouse Wizard hat, even though it doesn't light up anymore.  

I kind of like the idea of sitting outside with bags of candy, where I can keep an eye on them. Can I use my potato gun to scare any of 'em who take more than one bag?

image.png.2a6d75f9bb8d0d26c3be52ea3e47cca5.png

• Haha 1

I have lived in this condo since 2012 and although we have a few families here, I cannot remember anyone 

coming by for candy.......ever.  I don't buy any so if someone should come by, they are going to be very disappointed.

1 hour ago, Lois R said:

I have lived in this condo since 2012 and although we have a few families here, I cannot remember anyone 

coming by for candy.......ever.  I don't buy any so if someone should come by, they are going to be very disappointed.

Another good reason to buy a condo -- more candy for me!  :classic_laugh:

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

I don't have any yet. Was going to do some decorating this weekend but it has been rainy both days. Most people in our neighborhood do decorate though -- it'd feel weird not to.

I kind of like the idea of sitting outside with bags of candy, where I can keep an eye on them. Can I use my potato gun to scare any of 'em who take more than one bag?

image.png.2a6d75f9bb8d0d26c3be52ea3e47cca5.png

Too funny, my hubs suggested using his fly salt gun...

2 hours ago, Keksie said:

Out of the 9 houses on our mile long road there is only one family with children.  I will buy a bag of candy just in case they come by.  I will be sure to buy my favorite kind just in case of leftovers.  

That's the only way to do it!!!!  

I do have to hit the store to buy a couple bags of candy.  If I don't go soon, all the ones that I like will be gone!!!

I was too lazy to make my own coffee PLUS I didn't have any breakfast food in the house.  A trip to my local coffee joint was in order.  So glad that they have an app to order ahead!  Just pulled on my camo leggings and a sweatshirt (it was in the 40s) and a baseball hat and drove the mile to pick it up.  I think I really have to go pick up some groceries today.  

• Like 2

I know see why we never did the SNL thing. I was working 24-hour shifts as a paramedic in Boston from 1972-1978, I didn’t watch Hardly any tv in those years, sleep was more important. 33 here this morning. We spent the morning clearing branches from our high winds yesterday. Melody

2 minutes ago, awhfy said:

I know see why we never did the SNL thing. I was working 24-hour shifts as a paramedic in Boston from 1972-1978, I didn’t watch Hardly any tv in those years, sleep was more important. 33 here this morning. We spent the morning clearing branches from our high winds yesterday. Melody

Hi Melody........sounds like that would have definitely been long shifts..........thanks for your service🙂

I was a couch potato back in those years😲.......well, from 72-76.........watched ALOT of TV..........😲

76 I went off to college so didn't watch nearly as much.

I am a fan of the old SNL with Chevy Chase .I also love when they do the political ones . They are so funny . I really liked Woody Harrelson better as Joe Biden but Maya Rudolph is spot on with Kamala Harris .We live on a quiet street with no children so no need to get any candy .

1 hour ago, Sailor_Sally said:

I am a fan of the old SNL with Chevy Chase .I also love when they do the political ones . They are so funny . I really liked Woody Harrelson better as Joe Biden but Maya Rudolph is spot on with Kamala Harris .We live on a quiet street with no children so no need to get any candy .

Hi Sally, those first years of SNL were the best---or maybe that is just because we are now old LOL..... Chase,

Belushi, Gilda Radner, Dan Ackroyd,........the original cast was awesome🙂 Rosanna Danna was one of my favorites.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Lois R said:

Hi Melody........sounds like that would have definitely been long shifts..........thanks for your service🙂

I was a couch potato back in those years😲.......well, from 72-76.........watched ALOT of TV..........😲

76 I went off to college so didn't watch nearly as much.

Yup. 24 on, 24 off, 24 on, 36 off. Loved it, I was definitely an adrenaline junky

I had multiple coupons to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought a George Foreman grill today. Not sure why I 

didn't get one before now.  It is such a great thing! I had one many, many years ago so I know how good they

work. Anyway, I grilled 2 chicken breasts that I had marinated in Teriyaki sauce........less than 10 minutes and

they were done!  Had a side of cole slaw and macaroni salad with it. I only ate one breast so have leftovers

for tomorrow.  So much easier than pre-heating the oven and you just have to wipe down the grill with a wet

paper towel too!

• Like 1

No children on our street either so no candy buying for us. I’m afraid that if I bought it, I’d also eat it! Also very few decorations in this neighborhood. 

I’d love to move to a condo, says one who spent yet another day working in the back yard. It’s way to big for our needs-nice when kids were at home but not now. However, in spite of the fact that many, many new housing developments have been and are still being built, no condos have been built in the last 30 years so those that are available are outdated and just not to our liking. 

Cynthia, so sorry about your sump pump issue. Hope all is ok now.

Take care all, 

Sharon

17 hours ago, Lois R said:

I had multiple coupons to Bed, Bath and Beyond and bought a George Foreman grill today. Not sure why I 

didn't get one before now.  It is such a great thing! I had one many, many years ago so I know how good they

work. Anyway, I grilled 2 chicken breasts that I had marinated in Teriyaki sauce........less than 10 minutes and

they were done!  Had a side of cole slaw and macaroni salad with it. I only ate one breast so have leftovers

for tomorrow.  So much easier than pre-heating the oven and you just have to wipe down the grill with a wet

paper towel too!

That grill brings back memories!  When I was working at the ski resort (2008-2011), the guys who worked the Cresent chairlift had a GF grill up in the top lilft shack.  On Wednesdays, we'd have a "potluck" in the shack.  Always grilled something on that grill!   Good times with my boys.  

No wind, but chilly again.  I'm starting to think I'm feeling well enough to do a camping roadtrip in the next few weeks.  Southern Utah/Northern Nevada/Northern Arizona sounds good again.  The spots I was thinking about in Southern Colorado are at altitude so they may be a bit too chilly in November.  I'll see how I feel on November 4 if I want to run off and isolate...

Well I finally got that new TV for my bedroom -- Best Buy is having a good sale to compete with Amazon Prime days, I guess. They will come to install and set up on Oct 24th, woo-hoo!

I also bought a comfy new sunbed/lounger -- the zero gravity kind -- so I can sit outside and read and enjoy the pleasant fall days (they go on for quite a while here, in between fall tornados/storms, lol). I've only ever had the really cheap fold up kind before.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cruisemom42 said:

Thanks!

It's an LG 32" TV -- not huge by current standards but it's about as large as I can go and still have it fit in the space. 

Great😃.....you are happy and that is what matters!

Nice that there was a price war on the TV!!!  

I was a lazy a$$ again this morning.  Dragged myself out of bed, brushed my teeth, pulled my hair back, put on leggings, my Athleta hoody sweatshirt (bought last year) and one of my baseball hats.  Drove to the local coffee place and picked up my latte and oatmeal.  I really have to get to the store for food!!!

I was a bad girl and bought a new pair of joggers to wear this Fall & Winter.  Lululemon Ready to Rulu.  The black/gray camo ankle length (not the crop).  Oh my.  They are soooo freakin' soft and comfy!!!  I may never get out of them!!  Yes, the price point is high, but it's what I expect from Lululemon.  I have pieces from them that I've had for 10 years and still going strong, so I don't mind paying.  Toss on a Tshirt or a sweatshirt and they'll be good to go out.   I'll have to call this my "get out of the doldrums" present since my Apple Watch took care of Christmas.  

My white lace collar came today!!  So, I have my "costume" all set for Halloween: a modern take on RBG.  No robe, but black Tshirt, lace collar, black leggings and my black Converse All Stars.  Hair pulled back, red earrings, pair of glasses.  If it gets cold, I'll put the collar over my Patagonia down sweater!   As for candy delivery - someone elsewhere suggested getting a 6' long piece of PVC pipe at Home Depot.  Hold it up, put the candy in, and let it slide down the pipe!!!   I like it!

Have a great day ladies!

• Like 1