Cruise Critic Community
Keith1010

Live Views - Crystal Serenity - Fremantle, Australia

18 hours ago, Roland4 said:

Leaving aside the flight issues to get there, I personally think the only Europe cruises with even a very small chance for this year will be the river cruises. They are all contained within the EU landmass (with a couple of exceptions on the Lower Danube) and therefore don't have issues with crossing borders. Again, I would like to be wrong on this, but....

Unfortunately, the common border core principles of the EU have apparently been ''suspended'' by certain countries in the EU, who are now controlling access to their own countries, notwithstanding EU rules. The European Commission are none too happy but the countries concerned are, perhaps understandably, not over-worried at breaching their ''Union''.  Sorry but I don't have better particulars as we, of course, have now left !

On a more general note, I am really unsure as to what the cruising experience will look like when it eventually returns and whether that will be enough for us to cruise once again at that point in time. Interestingly and very surprisingly, P and O UK have announced that they are planning to restart their operations in August. Personally, I am not at all sure how this will be viable or practical.

4 hours ago, kool kruiser said:

Unfortunately, the common border core principles of the EU have apparently been ''suspended'' by certain countries in the EU, who are now controlling access to their own countries, notwithstanding EU rules. The European Commission are none too happy but the countries concerned are, perhaps understandably, not over-worried at breaching their ''Union''.  Sorry but I don't have better particulars as we, of course, have now left !

Interesting. I have not heard or read anything about that, even in the various trade papers I get. Thanks for sharing.

Unless the 14 day quarantine rule is suspended between the US and EU countries, river cruising will not happen.  Still, if Crystal is to return to ocean cruising, my bet is on Serenity and Symphony redeploying to the US - west coast and/or Caribbean as a majority of passengers are from the US, air travel will be easier, and in the event of an outbreak, they should be able to return to the US without the problems faced when searching for a friendly receptive port.

On 5/3/2020 at 6:54 AM, Keith1010 said:

Anne I am not certain but think they are doing this on the ship. At least I know they started it there. 

I was just listening to information about flights in Europe. Germany was an example and they said unless your flight originates and terminates in Germany you have to quarantine for 14 days. This will make travel quite interesting for quite sometime. 

Keith

Anne, I am now certain the quarantine is taking place on board the ship.

Keith

46 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

Anne, I am now certain the quarantine is taking place on board the ship.

Keith

Yes, I heard that from someone else yesterday...

Anne..

I guess this is as good a place to post as any.  On Marine Traffic I see at least one tender off Explorer Dream.  That should mean the crew is on the final step heading home.

Roy

Roy technically a few more days but it is possible sone could be released sooner since no one has the virus. 

on a related note those on Serenity will be there longer as another delay by the local country. 

They are being well taken care of and in good spirits. 

Keith

24 cruise ships now anchored off Manila. Up from 18 a few says ago. Problem getting worst. Understand it is the shore quarantine problem. Government officials having a big pay day now. Must be cheaper to pay them instead of waiting their turn if there is such a thing as 'their turn'.

There are certainly a lot of ships there.  We know those on the Genting Dream are being taken care of very well and have been in good spirits.  Same for those on Serenity.  When the quarantine is over the folks will leave the Dream so they can get home.

For those who are curious which ships are there it's a who's who of  ships representing several different Cruise Lines.

Keith

Ovation of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas
Costa Neoromantica
Costa Venezia
Costa Serena
Sapphire Princess
Sea Princess
Sun Princess
Majestic Princess
Royal Princess
Ruby Princess
Golden Princess
Carnival Splendor
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Panorama
Pacific Explorer
Pacific Dawn
Explorer Dream
Celebrity Solstice
Queen Elizabeth
Amsterdam
Eurodam

i just wanted to post saying it looks like those from the Philippines will be getting off soon to go home.

I heard from one crew member a few minutes ago.

The 14 day quarantine period is over tomorrow.

They are waiting for the test results to come by by tomorrow for the swab tests which were taken.

Tomorrow they are doing luggage check (inspection) which is good sign.

So hopefully they will be heading home very soon.  

In the meantime they have been taken care of very well.

Keith

I just hope that the Typhoon did not leave them returning to damaged homes or worse.  I'll bet now they are especially anxious to see their families.

Roy

On a related note, Marine Traffic shows Symphony no longer moored in the shipyard in Singapore and is currently sailing at 16 knots in the Singapore Straits to a not-as-yet-named-destination "awaiting orders".

Rob

1 hour ago, ryndam said:

On a related note, Marine Traffic shows Symphony no longer moored in the shipyard in Singapore and is currently sailing at 16 knots in the Singapore Straits to a not-as-yet-named-destination "awaiting orders".

Rob

Perhaps going for water, and/or running the engines.

2 hours ago, ryndam said:

Rob

ShipInfo says destination Port Klang.  Last look it was heading east though, so who knows?  Does it have Filipino crew aboard requiring repatriation?

Update about crew members from the Philippines waiting to go home.

The Dream is docked.

Luggage inspection was done today.  Waiting on their DOH Certificates.

Hopefully some of the crew will go home tomorrow.  Others will take a few more days because charter flights for those down South run twice a week. 

They are almost there.

The families of a few of the crew members I heard from did not have any damage from the typhoons. They hadn't heard of people they know from the ship with issue so hopefully their families are all fine  

Keith

Another update about the Crystal Serenity crew members from the Philippines who are on-board the Genting Dream waiting for clearance to leave the ship. It's taking al little longer to get the last piece of paperwork because results are pending from the virus test. They were told this delay was because several thousand tests are being done for crew among several ships which have also completed their 14 day quarantine. As soon as the paperwork is received from the red cross/manning agent they will be cleared to go. In the meantime for those of you who track the location of ships, it is possible you might sea Dream go back out to sea and if you do it is because of the need to make water. 

The Marine Traffic maps show the Symphony approaching eastern end of the Singapore straits heading east and awaiting orders.    Possibly going to drop off crew (more likely)  or head to the west coast!

16 minutes ago, MsCrystalina said:

The Marine Traffic maps show the Symphony approaching eastern end of the Singapore straits heading east and awaiting orders.    Possibly going to drop off crew (more likely)  or head to the west coast!

I just looked at Marine Traffic and Vessel Finder and that location was 4 days ago. Wonder where she is now? 😎

Patty

Tried the satellite but it costs!  At the cited 16 knots not in a hurry but would have  moved on -  will check every few days to see if changes!

On 5/18/2020 at 10:03 AM, almostretired said:

The Symphony has been out to sea for a couple of days - east of Singapore.

Just a guess but maybe they’ve gone out to sea to make water and discharge waste?

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Stickman1990 said:

Just a guess but maybe they’ve gone out to sea to make water and discharge waste?

Oh man, this stay at home thing has warped my brain (more).....the first thing I thought of reading this was "but, do they have enough toilet paper?".  😳

Edited by oakridger

Just a quick update on the crew on-board the Dream.

They are still waiting for the health certificate as the last step for the Filipinos to leave the ship.  Timing is everything in life and the delay has been multi-fold between the typhoon,  all the other cruise ships with crew to leave those vessels and by general

slowness by the local authorities.  Hopefully, approval will come soon.  Once this is done Dream will continue to its next stop

so additional crew can get off in their home country.

As to the crew going home from Serenity it is possible that some will be allowed to travel home this Friday with the rest in early June.  However,  it's up to the Malaysian government so the saying time will tell is appropriate here as it often is about many other items.

Keith

On 5/19/2020 at 3:16 PM, Texas Tillie said:

I just looked at Marine Traffic and Vessel Finder and that location was 4 days ago. Wonder where she is now? 😎

Patty

I needed a break from work for a minute...

8 Hours ago, Symphony was at Lat. 1.53457, Long. 104.8471, at a speed of .1 kn and heading 145 degrees...  She's still outside the Singapore Straight, off the coast east of Malaysia...  It really does look like a water/functional run.

Vince

I've heard, but not confirmed by anyone at Crystal, that Symphony will be returning to Singapore in June for drydock.