Doctor note.

5 minutes ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

but does the car insurance company agree to take your money, then change their policy after they have your money, refuse to insure your car, then keep the money? 

When they took your money they had no idea what we would all be facing at this time. I’ve had to cancel my husband’s memorial service that was scheduled for next weekend. A dear friend had to close her dance studio and will likely be unable to reopen because this is an expense many of her students will be unable to afford due to lost jobs. I’m set to manage the East coast’s largest cat show in July. Lots of money has already been laid out for something that just might not happen. To hear people come on here and whine about something over which the cruise line had no control really makes me wonder about these people. 

• Like 3

Looking at what Royal has posted on their website, the health precautions are temporary and will be reviewed on a daily basis; so perhaps they will not require the doctor's letter after they start cruising again.

"These temporary safety precautions will remain in place for a projected period of 30 days and will continued to be reviewed daily. Updates will be posted daily on this website.

Until further notice, all ships in the Royal Caribbean International fleet will adopt the following health screening protocols..."     🤔 All we can do is hope!!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, gerif said:

When they took your money they had no idea what we would all be facing at this time. I’ve had to cancel my husband’s memorial service that was scheduled for next weekend. A dear friend had to close her dance studio and will likely be unable to reopen because this is an expense many of her students will be unable to afford due to lost jobs. I’m set to manage the East coast’s largest cat show in July. Lots of money has already been laid out for something that just might not happen. To hear people come on here and whine about something over which the cruise line had no control really makes me wonder about these people. 

Did your dear friend keep the money from her students and tell them she changed her policy?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

Did your dear friend keep the money from her students and tell them she changed her policy?

Now you’re really not making any sense. She charged for lessons provided. Failure to provide further lessons was totally out of her control. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, gerif said:

Now you’re really not making any sense. She charged for lessons provided. Failure to provide further lessons was totally out of her control. 

I think you're missing the point. They took money not for a past delivered cruise, but for an upcoming one that they are telling you you will not be able to board, then only issuing a credit that, under their going forward new policy,  will not allow you to use. If you purchased a new tv and paid the store, and they decided they would not provide it because they changed their policy for certain customers, YOU, I do not think you would walk away and just say oh, well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

I think you're missing the point. They took money not for a past delivered cruise, but for an upcoming one that they are telling you you will not be able to board, then only issuing a credit that, under their going forward new policy,  will not allow you to use. If you purchased a new tv and paid the store, and they decided they would not provide it because they changed their policy for certain customers, YOU, I do not think you would walk away and just say oh, well. 

Did they take your money before or after they became aware of the current pandemic?

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, gerif said:

Did they take your money before or after they became aware of the current pandemic?

I’ll play along.  Let’s say two solos made reservations and payments  for a closed loop cruise from US port after Covid-19 was actively being diagnosed in the US.  RCI was screening travel and health histories and was clearly aware of importance of the disease.  Then RCI created a form for 70+ that essentially no sane US doctor is apt to sign.  So, the 69 year old (who will turn 70 right after the cruise) can sail, but one who just turned 70 cannot sail and does not know when/if she will be allowed to sail again.  Age difference in this example might be less than 10 days.

All I know is my Doctor said he would not be comfortable signing the form. I am 71, have two more cruises booked for this year.

Already have one FCC waiting to be used. Not sure I will be ready to tie up funds for next two.

7 minutes ago, Jam0610 said:

All I know is my Doctor said he would not be comfortable signing the form. I am 71, have two more cruises booked for this year.

Already have one FCC waiting to be used. Not sure I will be ready to tie up funds for next two.

I do not know your doctor or yo for that matter.  But if you have no issues, in great health. I personally would want him to sign the form. What reason did he give you for not wanting to sign it? Maybe he feels that you have a condition that might make you more susceptible to it. Maybe he is just over cautious.

Would think he is being careful. I just brought up subject. He may be worried about liability. 

Still have my Alaska cruise booked for July 31st. Hope this whole mess goes away, by then. Have to wait and see what RCL does.

Funny, I retired last year. Wife and I went on two cruises in 2019. Really want to be spending my time traveling.

• Like 1

Imo the letter from Doc was only a temporary requirement.  I am 99.9% confident that requirement will be removed as soon as this virus is in our past and we are all cruising again.  No need to worry about something till we actually know.  Lets all do our part to flatten the curve and hope and pray  for a cure as well as a vaccine.    Stay positive and healthy and we will all enjoy the luxury of cruising the world.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ATC cruiser said:

They need to make FCC’s transferable so you can transfer to us younger folks. Now before anyone gets offended, I’m just kidding.

Aft Cabins Rule

While you may be kidding, making the funds transferable (even if only to close family members) might be quite helpful to many people.  In some cases the RCI pricing structure of one cruise (60% off the second guest, or kids sail free, for example) may not align with the pricing structure of another cruise.  Or perhaps I paid for my mother to cruise with me this time, but for the replacement cruise hubby is available though Mom is not.  And, yeah, somebody also might gift an FCC to a younger family member if they cannot use it themselves.  I understand they do not want them re-sold, of course, so they might have to place limits.  Even allowing shifts among original occupants would be nicer.

38 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I do not know your doctor or yo for that matter.  But if you have no issues, in great health. I personally would want him to sign the form. What reason did he give you for not wanting to sign it? Maybe he feels that you have a condition that might make you more susceptible to it. Maybe he is just over cautious.

For me, I am in perfect health, 71, and talked with my doctor. He said that not he ,or the CDC, understands anything about this virus and it's effect, not only to those 70+ but for ANYONE of ANY AGE. His concern is placing potential liability to him and his liability insurance would not recognize it either. He added that he did not feel any doctors would feel comfortable signing this.

2 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

See my question above.  It is an after.

I wasn’t replying to you, nor do I care to engage in your game play. bTW, if I were a week shy of turning 21 I couldn’t go into a bar and order a beer. 

9 minutes ago, gerif said:

I wasn’t replying to you, nor do I care to engage in your game play. bTW, if I were a week shy of turning 21 I couldn’t go into a bar and order a beer. 

Why not?  

We did indeed book and pay for a cruise with that timing.

The 69 year old is hypothetical, but there may be one on the ship.

We all knew the drinking laws in advance when we were 20.  

Edited by Starry Eyes

1 hour ago, Starry Eyes said:

Why not?  

We did indeed book and pay for a cruise with that timing.

The 69 year old is hypothetical, but there may be one on the ship.

We all knew the drinking laws in advance when we were 20.  

Then again if you were 20 and booked a future cruise for after you turned 21 they would sell you the drink package.  Once on the ship, could they say they changed the rules, gotta be 22, no refund?

3 hours ago, TYinPalmSprings said:

For me, I am in perfect health, 71, and talked with my doctor. He said that not he ,or the CDC, understands anything about this virus and it's effect, not only to those 70+ but for ANYONE of ANY AGE. His concern is placing potential liability to him and his liability insurance would not recognize it either. He added that he did not feel any doctors would feel comfortable signing this.

He is correct. But I am sure you know. Those over 65 with current medical conditions are the most likely to contact it. So he is putting everyone in the same package. That is not correct at all. He is looking out for himself and could care about you taking a cruise. 

• Like 1

Post 9/11 Security requirements changed on Open Loop Cruises.  One Cruise ID plus B-Cert fine, next time need Passport or Enhanced ID, after many yrs delay by Govt. Watched several couples turned away at Pier. Not exactly same but few turned up to Board Cruise last week, over 70 and no Dr Note. They were not allowed to board either... No Refund for any of these passengers

Edited by ONECRUISER