Doctor note.

We’re in the midst of a pandemic.  Most comments are just speculation without any basis in reality.  Do cruise lines want as many passengers of all demographics as possible - yes.  Are seniors a key demographic - yes.  Do they want to lose that revenue stream - no.  This won’t be sorted for some time.  I hope you’re all safe at home and looking forward to future cruises!

All this talk of getting a note is a hot topic. I myself feel it is discriminatory and it doesn’t even affect me. The Hippa laws and privacy laws would frown on this. As for the coast guard getting tired of the alpha call, seriously!!! I have been on a few cruises where that call was for a child, a person who drank way to much and fell down the steps breaking multiple bones, lets not forget the daredevil who thinks they can climb from one balcony to another and ends up taking a swim. Shore excursions are geared for each individual’s level, I myself would not want to scuba dive, I would probably have a panic attack, do I need a note for that? Maybe there should be some sort of documentation on how responsible a cruiser would be regarding fellow cruisers, there is some extremely rude people out there that cause trouble, experienced this myself just recently, was threatened, didn’t make for a nice time, and my all time disgusting pet peeve, why do some people feel after they have eaten in restaurants they have to blow their nose in the table napkin!!!! Yuk!!! So back to the doctors note, I would think we could cover a lot of bases if everyone had to get one saying they are fit to sail, spend lots of dollars, have a great time etc, etc. every one stay safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 2

2 hours ago, the sea and me said:

All this talk of getting a note is a hot topic. I myself feel it is discriminatory and it doesn’t even affect me. The Hippa laws and privacy laws would frown on this. As for the coast guard getting tired of the alpha call, seriously!!! I have been on a few cruises where that call was for a child, a person who drank way to much and fell down the steps breaking multiple bones, lets not forget the daredevil who thinks they can climb from one balcony to another and ends up taking a swim. Shore excursions are geared for each individual’s level, I myself would not want to scuba dive, I would probably have a panic attack, do I need a note for that? Maybe there should be some sort of documentation on how responsible a cruiser would be regarding fellow cruisers, there is some extremely rude people out there that cause trouble, experienced this myself just recently, was threatened, didn’t make for a nice time, and my all time disgusting pet peeve, why do some people feel after they have eaten in restaurants they have to blow their nose in the table napkin!!!! Yuk!!! So back to the doctors note, I would think we could cover a lot of bases if everyone had to get one saying they are fit to sail, spend lots of dollars, have a great time etc, etc. every one stay safe.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Scuba diving requires certification before you are allowed to do that excursion. I am over 70 and I am I am not allowed to do the Segway excursion and that I do not like but I must follow the rules. If you have back problems many excursion indicate it is not one you should take. If you have problems walking same thing. The only problem I have with a signed letter from your doctor. How do they know it is your doctor signing it or any doctor for that matter. 

Well, we cancelled our Brilliance cruise because we could not get an approved doctor's note. We got our FCC certificate today. RCI shorted us $60. I called the number to ask why. Her first response was that I used a travel agent and there was a penalty. I told her that booked directly with a RCI agent. She then said there was a cancellation fee. That wasn't right since RCI did away with cancellation fees by the time I cancelled. She put me on hold for about five minutes and came back that she would have to check with another department. She would call me back in 3-5 business days. That doesn't sound hopeful.

9 minutes ago, baldilocks said:

Well, we cancelled our Brilliance cruise because we could not get an approved doctor's note. We got our FCC certificate today. RCI shorted us $60. I called the number to ask why. Her first response was that I used a travel agent and there was a penalty. I told her that booked directly with a RCI agent. She then said there was a cancellation fee. That wasn't right since RCI did away with cancellation fees by the time I cancelled. She put me on hold for about five minutes and came back that she would have to check with another department. She would call me back in 3-5 business days. That doesn't sound hopeful.

When was Cruise date, when did u cancel?

We cancelled the April 27th cruise on March 13th. I was told by the RCI rep that there would be no penalty of any type. I know the the 125% cancellation bonus was not in effect when I cancelled. The RCI agent I talked to about the $60 seem to read from a script most of the time.

On 3/31/2020 at 12:07 AM, baldilocks said:

That is definitely wrong information.    I cancelled a May cruise in March and was not charged any cancellation fee.    

I know they have their CSRs working from home so they are not able to walk from their cubicle to speak with a supervisor so that is probably why she said she should get back to you but 3-5 days is a long wait to get a response.   I personally would call back as RCL is famous to get different answers from different CSRs.   Good luck!

I just got a phone call about an hour ago from Royal Caribbean telling me that I will  need a Dr note to sail on my July 27 cruise because I’m over the age of 70. The man I spoke to said to get the note from the doctor and give it to my travel agent and he would send it to Royal Caribbean. Somehow this doesn’t sound right. Has anybody else gotten a call like this? 

I finally got hold of a very nice lady in RCI Customer Service. She went the extra mile to investigate why I was not given full FCC. She worked the problem and said the corrected FCC will be on its way in 7-10 business days. She even gave me the FCC certificate numbers for reference. The earlier information I was given was incorrect.

40 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

I just got a phone call about an hour ago from Royal Caribbean telling me that I will  need a Dr note to sail on my July 27 cruise because I’m over the age of 70. The man I spoke to said to get the note from the doctor and give it to my travel agent and he would send it to Royal Caribbean. Somehow this doesn’t sound right. Has anybody else gotten a call like this? 

Have not gotten a call but this on their web page:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

COVID-19 presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious, underlying medical conditions. Therefore,

a.  Effective Monday, March 16, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

57 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

We sail on July 9, hopefully. I am 73 and received no phone call. RCL has much more to do with current affairs now than have someone calling about the dr. notes. Something doesn't seem correct here?

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Pumbaamd said:

We sail on July 9, hopefully. I am 73 and received no phone call. RCL has much more to do with current affairs now than have someone calling about the dr. notes. Something doesn't seem correct here?

Yes, I thought it was strange to get a call but the strangest thing was telling me to give the doctor note to my travel agent.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, retiredgram said:

Have not gotten a call but this on their web page:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/itinerary-updates

COVID-19 presents the most serious health risks to older individuals, the immunocompromised, and those with serious, underlying medical conditions. Therefore,

a.  Effective Monday, March 16, boarding will be denied to any person age 70 or older, unless the guest provides written verification from a qualified treating physician that certifies the person has no severe, chronic medical condition and is fit to travel.

I have known that a dr note was going to be required but why call me? The strange thing is telling me to give the note my travel agent.  I just don’t see how this can possibly be accurate information. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marie51 said:

Yes, I thought it was strange to get a call but the strangest thing was telling me to give the doctor note to my travel agent.

And all this has to done within 7 days of the sailing.

5 minutes ago, Pumbaamd said:

And all this has to done within 7 days of the sailing.

This is misinformation,  no where on Royal Caribbean's website does it state it had to be done within 7 days of sailing. Read post #95 from their website.