Coming back to HAL after a few years... changes?

chisoxfan

We were pleased to book a balcony on Nieuw Amsterdam for January.  Our primary interest in HAL was stoked by LIDO Cabanas, entertainment, overall attitude of cruise (and getting Signature Drink Package included).

Our last cruises were on Westerdam and Eurodam some years ago but had a few questions and perhaps a refresher is in order. I know the Eurodam experience will be most similar to NA.

HAL used to have hot breakfast availability in cabin and I am hoping this is still in place. I know BB Kings remains a popular venue but would be open to comments on other entertainment options on this ship.  

I also tried to educate myself on the Orange Club but pretty much determined this would be little value to us but would be open to other opinion on this.

We will likely eschew the very nice MSC Yacht club for a one week cruise and spend an additional grand to  do this 14 day HAL cruise which we think is an excellent value particularly with the cabana availability. We have been in all the ports and will primarily stay on the ship but look forward to two days at the private island.   Originally I thought the 'back to back' cruises were 'stupid' but then am thinking the 'bad' feeling of waking up on the embarkation morning of a one week cruise will be replaced with the 'excitement' of embarking on a new week cruise ie. two sail away parties, etc. Kind of like Ground Hog Day.  Excuse my rambling but any insights are appreciated. Happy and Healthy cruising to all. 

Nice to see a new thread that's NOT about the virus and cancellations! My last N.A. cruise (12/14) might be older than your last E'dam cruise but I would be happy to try to answer any specific questions that you have. 

You can still order hot breakfast in your cabin. Since our last cruise (12/16) they have added some extra-cost items.

Edited by catl331
  • Like 3

29 minutes ago, NordicPrince said:

Have you been listening to the news lately? We're all caught up worrying about a lot more important things at the moment.

There are no HAL cruises presently FYI.

No haven't heard anything is up......what should I do...... I thought this was a board on cruising.  I am not sitting around worrying about  'more important things' at the moment as if this would actually impact the negative things that are happening.  I am over 60 and will try to take precautions with my health and have prepared my family as well as I could with a lifetime of prudent savings and maintaining private health coverage. I would hope the belief that things will return to normal in the near future will help everyone have a more positive outlook which is why I continue to look forward to a future cruise.

Since I booked a HAL cruise yesterday I think your comment regarding no future HAL cruises is incorrect unless you have a clear view of the future, If that was the case I wish you would have given us all a heads up a few months ago. 

I sincerely hope your situation is not dire but find your comments on this board misplaced and unproductive.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

No haven't heard anything is up......what should I do...... I thought this was a board on cruising.  I am not sitting around worrying about  'more important things' at the moment as if this would actually impact the negative things that are happening.  I am over 60 and will try to take precautions with my health and have prepared my family as well as I could with a lifetime of prudent savings and maintaining private health coverage. I would hope the belief that things will return to normal in the near future will help everyone have a more positive outlook which is why I continue to look forward to a future cruise.

Since I booked a HAL cruise yesterday I think your comment regarding no future HAL cruises is incorrect unless you have a clear view of the future, If that was the case I wish you would have given us all a heads up a few months ago. 

I sincerely hope your situation is not dire but find your comments on this board misplaced and unproductive.

Chisoxfan, great response!  +100

14 minutes ago, Crew News said:

Here is the current Room Service Breakfast options for staterooms other than Pinnacle/Neptune Suites that have a different card:

http://www.rogerjett-photography.com/here/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Room-Service-Card-1.pdf

That is great and pleased they still offer an extensive BF meal. 

Thank you so much for posting.

1 hour ago, chisoxfan said:

Go Go White Sox, I'm a fan since 1952.

As to your post, at this point all I'm hoping for at this time is for this virus to disappear sometime in the near future and the cruise lines will be up and running by the time your cruise comes around. There have been quite a bit of cost cutting by Holland America but all the other lines have also cut costs. HAL still is a good product with very good food, great service and IMHO the cleanest ships on the high seas.

We last sailed with HAL (on the Eurodam) last November, and enjoyed it very much.  We also decided that Club Orange was not worth the cost, so we cannot comment on it.

I personally think doing the same/similar cruise two weeks in a row is a good idea.  No need to try to cram all activities into one week.  We usually discover something we like late in a cruise, and it would be nice to have another opportunity to try those things the next week.

Until about a week ago, some people were complaining there were too many virus threads.  Since this is a site dedicated to cruising, it seems ridiculous to criticize people who want to discuss cruising.  I am looking forward to a time (hopefully in the near future) when we can start cruising again. 

• Like 2

Thanks everyone for your posts. I think one thing I like about HAL is that they have tried (IMHO) to keep a reasonably refined product in the mainstream cruise segment. I feel competitors X, MSC, Princess, and NCL have placed focus on a high profit

Suite class segment which adds nothing and perhaps deducts from the 'regular' passenger experience. Don't get me wrong as we greatly enjoyed MSC YC  and a more 'exclusive' experience but my wife and I were both in agreement that on a value basis we would rather enjoy a longer cruise with HAL if we could check a few boxes.

47 minutes ago, Krazy Kruizers said:

In the Lido at lunch time you will find pre-made sandwiches.  Also there is a new salad bar where the crew make your salads.

Tamarind has a new menu since you were on the Eurodam.

I've had sandwiches made at a station right next to the pre-made sandwiches, the pre- mades are pretty bad.