Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
Thisguylikestocruise

For those cruising later this year, what are you doing?

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, Johnamac123 said:

......Seems like it would be the perfect time to complete....

 

Definitely not a good time since they are.taking such a financial hit right not.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We’re booked on Harmony October 4,2020. I usually like to pay the cruise down month by month, but not this time. I’ll wait until final payment is due in July. Hopefully we will know more by then. 
 

As @A&L_Ont mentioned earlier in this thread, we’re also concerned about what will be going on in the islands we’re scheduled to visit. However, since Harmony is an Oasis class ship, I’m sure we will be able to find plenty to do even if we just stay on the ship 🛳.

 

I’m far mor concerned about the land trip to Key West that we have scheduled at the end of April. It will be a lot more difficult for us to reschedule that trip than our Harmony cruise. 
 

Meanwhile, we are holding off for now planning any trips for 2021 so we will have more flexibility in case we have to reschedule either of our upcoming 2020 trips. It’s not easy for this OCD planner to not be planning!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

WE have the Harmony booked for May 17th, starting to unpack my bag...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If not for COVID-19, I would be waiting at the airport here in VA today, to board the flight to FL for an overnight in Miami before sailing on Symphony.  This cruise was to be a celebration of my 80th birthday, along with my daughter, as guests of my son and son-in-law who live in San Francisco.

 

DD and I have another cruise booked on Oasis sailing out of Ft. Lauderdale on Dec. 6th.  We booked it many months ago, at a really good price.  It seems to make perfect sense to add the guys to that cruise, to celebrate my 81st birthday.  We have a Central Park balcony, and they want an Ocean view.  There just happens to be one available, directly across the hall from ours.
 

We had already requested a refund for the 3/21 cancellation, not wanting to risk having trouble using the FCCs, especially after I found out that we can't use FCCs for the new deposits.  The new date and change of ship will cost less than if we had sailed tomorrow as scheduled.  That helps to lessen the disappointment a little.  Keeping my fingers crossed for smooth sailing in December.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Booked on Explorer Aug 30 and Harmony next Jan.  Fully expect Harmony to be a go.  Waiting for the Explorer June 1 final payment date before making a decision.  We plan to spend 4 days in Rome before the Explorer cruise and 10 days in Tuscany/Northern Italy after. 😲  Would love to be in a position where we can help the Italy economy recover.  Will be an interesting decision to make.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

We're waiting for Royal to cancel our May Alaska cruise due to the Canadian port closures.  There's a thought that the PVSA act could be suspended or overturned to allow this cruise to take place (if cruising has resumed) but that is probably a long shot.  Can't see the Federal Government putting the time and energy in to that right now, nor should they in my opinion. 

 

The PVSA act was enacted in 1886.  If we followed all rules of that age...women would still not have the right to vote, and did not until many years later.  IMHO..time for this rule to go away.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, AlohaLivin said:

Since it is the grandeur and we want to sail on her once more and our cruise next week was cancelled, we would LOVE to sail in June and for now intend to do so. However, it is a cruise that includes several Canadian ports and if they are blocked to ships then that cruise will look very different to us than it does now (the cabin we is far was too pricey to end up in Nassau!).  For now, we have our fingers crossed that this will improve and Canadian ports will open. We will see.

 

You and me both...still hope to "sea" you on board.  🙂 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Grandeur in June (still hoping but not looking good), B2B Radiance in August, B2B Grandeur in September, B2B2B Allure in Oct/Nov, Harmony B2B Nov/December.  

 

Not sure which, if any, will still be available to cruise on.  😞 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ReneeFLL said:

Definitely not a good time since they are.taking such a financial hit right not.

Hard to believe RCI doesn't have the capital reserve for a pre-scheduled refurb. Maybe shortening the drydock will increase the revenue using Allure for unscheduled cruises?? I think not.

Most likely a shortage of workers to actually do the interior upgrades in France.... 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, island lady said:

 

The PVSA act was enacted in 1886.  If we followed all rules of that age...women would still not have the right to vote, and did not until many years later.  IMHO..time for this rule to go away.  

 

In response to the original question of this post  "For those cruising later this year, what are you doing?" I stated what our intentions are for our upcoming Alaska cruise based on the information that we currently have.  As far as the PVSA act being temporarily overturned to allow Seattle round trip Alaska cruises to take place prior to July 1st, my opinion is that it won't for now, nor should it be as both the American and Canadian governments have much more important issues to tackle right now.  As far as the history of the PVSA and the climate in 1886, yes I agree it was a much different world but the politics or social issues at that time was not the focus of my response.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We still have 4/26 booked and hoping but not optimistic.  Hopeful that some of the drugs mentioned yesterday and today by the medical professionals for off label use will be very effective and squelch the whole thing.

I’m hoping to sail then as well! If the ship is sailing I’ll be on it.


Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, Sanofi is doing trials on a new antimalarial drug which is claimed to be 100% effective in killing coronavirus

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My March 28th cruise was cancelled.  Hoping my May 10th is still possible but feel confident that my September 4th and October 6th are sailing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I expect everything will settle down by August or September

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

December 4, Explorer outta Miami.

Completely bummed the dry dock cancelled for now.

Still going, still checking for price drops,  and if the current conditions still exist I’ll take the FCC bonus when it’s offered.

 

Won’t book flights till very close to sail date however......

Edited by NateUpNorth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Only have 2 booked, year apart September 2020 and September 2021

 

Usually by this time we have most things already planned as to what we will be doing at each port for the  2020 cruise.

Really not even in the mood to look at this time with so much going on with the virus.

 

To be perfectly honest I don't even think it's going to be safe to travel even by that time. My wife has CLL with a compromised immune system so we have to be careful. Lucky for us she is able to work at home , so won't even allow me to go to work  because afraid of me picking up something from work. Work for me is okay with it for now, just not sure how long they will allow this without  saying sorry we have to get someone one else to fill your position.

 

She has been great though, she saw all this coming and has stocked the house up with paper products and food.

 

She hasn't left the house in over 10 days , I  have been out for a few things but when I come home I have to go straight to the shower and wash, plus my clothes are washed as soon as I come home.

 

Got alot of down time here,  I am getting alot of things around the house done though that we have been putting off.............but  I can see cabin fever   setting in at some point.

 

But I love my wife and have to keep her safe, so it's all worth it.

 

Hoping for a quick cure of somekind to end  all of this.

Edited by Jimbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

2 hours ago, JeffT237 said:

 

In response to the original question of this post  "For those cruising later this year, what are you doing?" I stated what our intentions are for our upcoming Alaska cruise based on the information that we currently have.  As far as the PVSA act being temporarily overturned to allow Seattle round trip Alaska cruises to take place prior to July 1st, my opinion is that it won't for now, nor should it be as both the American and Canadian governments have much more important issues to tackle right now.  As far as the history of the PVSA and the climate in 1886, yes I agree it was a much different world but the politics or social issues at that time was not the focus of my response.  

 

Well said.  Unless there is some sort of miraculous intervention, I don't see a cruise in any of our immediate futures.

 

1 hour ago, drsel said:

Yes, Sanofi is doing trials on a new antimalarial drug which is claimed to be 100% effective in killing coronavirus

 

46 minutes ago, drsel said:

I expect everything will settle down by August or September

 

I have been thinking at that date as well, by the virus running it's course.  6 months is how long it took in China so I would think NA would be comparable.  From all that I have heard, even if a vaccine was discovered today, it would take a year to be available to the general population.  

 

We are all hoping for the best but I think we are also realistic.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
We have a cruise booked for Dec.2020.If I am physically able I hope to do the cruise.
Your Cruise will not be cancelled.
everything should normalise by August or September

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am pretty sure our May 2 Brilliance TA will be cancelled. But if it isn't - we still won't be on it. I have higher hopes for my mid-Sept. Brilliance Canada cruise and b2b Explorer cruises from Civitavecchia in October/November.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bobmacliberty said:

Booked on Explorer Aug 30 .  Waiting for the Explorer June 1 final payment date before making a decision.  We plan to spend 4 days in Rome before the Explorer cruise and 10 days in Tuscany/Northern Italy after. 😲  Would love to be in a position where we can help the Italy economy recover.  Will be an interesting decision to make.

We are also on this same cruise and are very nervous about the potential outcome of the cruise.  We have made final payment on the airfare but only the deposit on the cruise.  I wish I had a crystal ball to look into that gave me a better feeling.  

We also were planning to spend a week before the cruise in Rome and some time after in Lake Como/Venice.  Wish I had a better feeling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

 

 

Well said.  Unless there is some sort of miraculous intervention, I don't see a cruise in any of our immediate futures.

 

 

 

I have been thinking at that date as well, by the virus running it's course.  6 months is how long it took in China so I would think NA would be comparable.  From all that I have heard, even if a vaccine was discovered today, it would take a year to be available to the general population.  

 

We are all hoping for the best but I think we are also realistic.

China slowed it by imposing severe enforced lockdowns, which are not being done in the U. S. (yet).  I have a feeling it will take quite a bit longer for it to run its course in the U. S.  I hope I'm wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

By dumb luck, a work conflict prompted us to postpone in January our April 12 day to a November 11 day. We still hope to get it in as Grandeur is leaving the fleet soon. We are thinking positive. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • Q&A: Cruise Insurance w/ Steve Dasseos of the TripInsuranceStore.com June 2020
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...