US LEVEL 4 NO INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL ALLOWED

JOHN474

Effective today,  March 19, 2020, the U.S. State Department has issued a global Level 4 Do Not Travel Advisory: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/traveladvisories/ea/travel-advisory-alert-global-level-4-health-advisory-issue.html

Certain to affect all future cruises. Expect will see response from the cruise lines as they absorb the impact.

23 hours ago, JOHN474 said:

OK. Partly semantics.... Who in the world would travel, if the US State Department issues a Level 4 Advisory or warning?I'm sure insurance companies will void all coverage.

I wonder why most (Americans) here think that all travelers are Americans...

Besides this specific situation where we are all influenced by the same issue, the rest of the world is not necessarily influenced by US State Department Levels or by what Mr. Trump says.

• Like 3

23 hours ago, az_tchr said:

All cruises by members of CLIA are already cancelled for 3 more weeks.  Cruiselines are waiting till they complete the last group of cancellations before doing the next batch.

Do you have this on good authority? I am on the 4/13 Apex cruise out of UK, and our Roll Call is in a tizzy waiting for new about whether the cruise will be cancelled. We can't imagine it proceeding with all ports closed, but no news is frustrating.

4 minutes ago, Miaminice said:

I wonder why most (Americans) here think that all travelers are Americans...

Besides this specific situation where we are all influenced by the same issue, the rest of the world is not necessarily influenced by US State Department Levels or by what Mr. Trump says.

Huh?? What’s the point you are making?  This website is about Cruising and does have numerous international posters but we are well aware we are talking about advisories from the US Govt. many posters from the UK and Canada (which is part of us ‘Americans’ being in North America) share here. We, well most, are not a group of the classic ‘Ugly American’.  

So again what’s your point?

den

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

Do you have this on good authority? I am on the 4/13 Apex cruise out of UK, and our Roll Call is in a tizzy waiting for new about whether the cruise will be cancelled. We can't imagine it proceeding with all ports closed, but no news is frustrating.

I believe, it is safe to say that your sailing is cancelled, so no imagination as to, in reality, proceeding with all ports as opposed to envisioning what those ports would be like were the sailing taking place.

All anyone on that sailing needs to be 'waiting for', currently is, what the cancellation policy is and/or compensation for the cancelled sailing.

bon voyage

Every day, the situation is getting worse internationally. Even with all these grim updates, from countries around the world, I remain optimistic that in 90 days, even without a vaccine, things might start to improve.

HOWEVER, there is no chance that these cruises will resume after the 30 day pause stops. Every day more and more countries / regions are doing complete lockdowns, only allowing essential activities to take place. 

Cruise lines will need to stay shutdown after 30 day pause. No one is going to be able to travel to either get on the cruise ship or to return home. No one will want to take the risk of being stranded on a ship to nowhere. Since so many people are infected without symptoms, and it only takes 1 individual without symptoms to get on a ship, to cause a disaster ... cruise lines know they must cancel. I honestly dont understand why they dont cancel at a minimum another month out?

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Denny01 said:

Huh?? What’s the point you are making?  This website is about Cruising and does have numerous international posters but we are well aware we are talking about advisories from the US Govt. many posters from the UK and Canada (which is part of us ‘Americans’ being in North America) share here. We, well most, are not a group of the classic ‘Ugly American’.  

So again what’s your point?

den

The point is simple and clear... Read from post one on.

You will find statements like: NOW that the USSD set the level to 4 all cruises will be canceled... or the one I reacted to: Who in the world would travel now the USSD set the level to 4... etc. etc. 

World travel and all cruises don’t exclusively revolve around the US and the US State Dept. Foreign and US cruise lines didn’t need the USSD to cancel cruises.

Most statements and posters don’t take into consideration that the USSD does not influence anyone outside North America or even the fact that there are not just Americans on board a cruise ship.

As I said: Granted, this situation influences all of us. So this statement of the US State Dept. happens to address an issue which is addressed by state departments all over the world. However, it is a phenomenon I often notice in many posts by Americans - most think their regulations cover everyone, only Americans fill ships and there are only cruises in the Caribbean 😁

Living in both worlds I can wholeheartedly say that thinking “internationally” is not an American forte. In a forum like CC that’s almost paradox since cruising is about travel and seeing the world - which happens to stretch beyond the US and the Caribbean 😉

Edited by Miaminice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pushka said:

Australia closed its borders last night. We were at Level 4 last Monday. 

We are due to cruise out of Sydney on 18 April, but that's probably not going to happen.  🍷

7 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

All anyone on that sailing needs to be 'waiting for', currently is, what the cancellation policy is and/or compensation for the cancelled sailing.

bon voyage

That's a pretty big "all." For a lot of very good reasons, people need to get their money back if the cruise isn't going to happen. And until Celebrity makes it clear that people who need the refund will get it, people will stress. Sure, some people have the cash to let it ride, but that is not realistic for everyone.

Celebrity needs to put people's minds at ease.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Wine-O said:

We are due to cruise out of Sydney on 18 April, but that's probably not going to happen.  🍷

It might be for up to 6 months. It will be for at least a month. 

26 minutes ago, GRBlizz said:

That's a pretty big "all." For a lot of very good reasons, people need to get their money back if the cruise isn't going to happen. And until Celebrity makes it clear that people who need the refund will get it, people will stress. Sure, some people have the cash to let it ride, but that is not realistic for everyone.

Celebrity needs to put people's minds at ease.

I concur wholeheartedly, then if no cash is forth coming there is travel insurance.

Also, did you know that there is at least one travel insurance company which now insures FCC's and their value?

bon voyage

59 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

I concur wholeheartedly, then if no cash is forth coming there is travel insurance.

Also, did you know that there is at least one travel insurance company which now insures FCC's and their value?

bon voyage

Interesting...obviously uncharted waters here, but would travel insurance pay up in the event of cruise line failing to do so, or filing bankruptcy? Is the insurance company willingness to cover FCC in light of recent events, or been in place previously? 

1 hour ago, treehugr said:

Interesting...obviously uncharted waters here, but would travel insurance pay up in the event of cruise line failing to do so, or filing bankruptcy? Is the insurance company willingness to cover FCC in light of recent events, or been in place previously? 

Actually in terms of bk, many of us know that if insurance is purchased within a certain time frame from the initial deposit, financial insolvency is usually covered under a few policies, as well, pre-existing conditions, the answer to your question is yes. If you or anyone else have not complied with insurance purchase requirements and deadlines, then the answer to your question is no.

I can only presume the coverage of FCC's is in response to this dire situation and mass numbers of them out there, as I have no awareness of FCC's being covered before the current situation.

If you or anyone else has 'insurance' related questions, I suggest reading the insurance forum here on CC and then posting any follow up questions you may have.

bon voyage

9 hours ago, Denny01 said:

And making such generalities seems to be a ‘forte’ of those that think they are more ‘international’ than those ‘Americans’. 

Signing off on this conversation. 

Den

I never used the terms ‘those Americans’ and never would. However, I also cannot ignore behavior happening all around me - on the street, on ships, here on CC...

To make thinks better, one has to acknowledge deficits...

If you are different, great! I really mean it. But look around you!

Getting back to the actual situation at hand... 

The same behavior can be seen regarding the corona crises. The wave of corona came from Asia to Europe and now (officially now) to the US. Seeing what’s happening all around the world, the US could have had the advantage of a head start but snuggled up into the blanket called invincibility. Look at Florida... it’s shameful and it’s time to wake up.

Edited by Miaminice

18 hours ago, JOHN474 said:

Every day, the situation is getting worse internationally. Even with all these grim updates, from countries around the world, I remain optimistic that in 90 days, even without a vaccine, things might start to improve.

HOWEVER, there is no chance that these cruises will resume after the 30 day pause stops. Every day more and more countries / regions are doing complete lockdowns, only allowing essential activities to take place. 

Cruise lines will need to stay shutdown after 30 day pause. No one is going to be able to travel to either get on the cruise ship or to return home. No one will want to take the risk of being stranded on a ship to nowhere. Since so many people are infected without symptoms, and it only takes 1 individual without symptoms to get on a ship, to cause a disaster ... cruise lines know they must cancel. I honestly dont understand why they dont cancel at a minimum another month out?

Be patient.  More cancellations are coming.  Unfortunately.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Miaminice said:

I never used the terms ‘those Americans’ and never would. However, I also cannot ignore behavior happening all around me - on the street, on ships, here on CC...

To make thinks better, one has to acknowledge deficits...

If you are different, great! I really mean it. But look around you!

Getting back to the actual situation at hand... 

The same behavior can be seen regarding the corona crises. The wave of corona came from Asia to Europe and now (officially now) to the US. Seeing what’s happening all around the world, the US could have had the advantage of a head start but snuggled up into the blanket called invincibility. Look at Florida... it’s shameful and it’s time to wake up.

It appears this went off track based on a post about  State Dept warnings and travel...  and then  somehow  went into some unfortunate neg cultural commentary about the US and its people.

Seeing what is going on in my local community with ordinary people taking risks to help others.,  I am  USA proud...more than ever.  And surely others are proud of their homelands as well. People rising to the need.. Yes there are jerks all over but not more so here!

Let's leave it at that and move on!

We are all in the struggle together, globally!   Let's spread love not germs!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, hcat said:

It appears this went off track based on a post about  State Dept warnings and travel...  and then  somehow  went into some unfortunate neg cultural commentary about the US and its people.

Seeing what is going on in my local community with ordinary people taking risks to help others.,  I am  USA proud...more than ever.  And surely others are proud of their homelands as well. People rising to the need.. Yes there are jerks all over but not more so here!

Let's leave it at that and move on!

We are all in the struggle together, globally!   Let's spread love not germs!

Thank you hcat!  Well said!

• Thanks 1

• Like 1