US LEVEL 4 NO INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL ALLOWED

JOHN474

2 minutes ago, Ontario Cruiser said:

Agree. I check at least 4 times again. Surely we will know this week for at least the crossings.

OntarioCruiser

In a sense, you do already know.  The crossings in April are not happening.  Maybe the cruise lines are waiting for the Government to ask them to extend the "voluntary" suspension, so it looks like they are cooperating with the Government. 

I certainly wouldn't want to take one of the ships across the pond anytime soon considering the current status in Europe.  Hopefully, the virus will subside like the flu, and the ships can make their way to Europe without any pax in early summer, then pick up their European sailing schedules.  That's my hope, at least.  🍷

On 3/20/2020 at 12:42 PM, Denny01 said:

Huh?? What’s the point you are making?  This website is about Cruising and does have numerous international posters but we are well aware we are talking about advisories from the US Govt. many posters from the UK and Canada (which is part of us ‘Americans’ being in North America) share here. We, well most, are not a group of the classic ‘Ugly American’.  

So again what’s your point?

den

" Canada (which is part of us ‘Americans’ being in North America) share here. We, well most, are not a group of the classic ‘Ugly American’.  "

Canada is Canada, and regarding  " Ugly Americans " you refer to  -- I saw a beautiful girl ( much too young for me ) sitting at the pool 14 yrs ago . So, there !!!

2 hours ago, JOHN474 said:

Every day, the situation is getting worse internationally. Even with all these grim updates, from countries around the world, I remain optimistic that in 90 days, even without a vaccine, things might start to improve.

HOWEVER, there is no chance that these cruises will resume after the 30 day pause stops. Every day more and more countries / regions are doing complete lockdowns, only allowing essential activities to take place. 

Cruise lines will need to stay shutdown after 30 day pause. No one is going to be able to travel to either get on the cruise ship or to return home. No one will want to take the risk of being stranded on a ship to nowhere. Since so many people are infected without symptoms, and it only takes 1 individual without symptoms to get on a ship, to cause a disaster ... cruise lines know they must cancel. I honestly dont understand why they dont cancel at a minimum another month out?

Cruise ships are going to be the last thing to get back to normal. Honestly at this point I don't see them operating again until the Caribbean season starts in full in November at the earliest.

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2020 at 12:23 PM, JOHN474 said:

President Trump just announced (1220 PM EST Wednesday) that Carnival has offered its Carnival ships to house patients, as needed , in cities such as NYC.  Celebrity & RCL should offer to do the same with all the ships are idled by imminent cancellations. Celebrity should cancel immediately ...and not wait to the last minute to cancel cruises.

Why would this be advisable?  There are empty hotels and motels which could easily be converted to housing all sorts of patients, not just COVOD-19 patients.  Easier to operate and maintain.  This was solely a publicity stunt by Arison CEO of Carnival since a Carnival ship was used to house people in New Orleans After Katrina while hotels were no available.  The USG pain a pretty penny for that, as well to include total refurbishment of the ship.  Hotels are standing empty and already have a well trained staff.

While I agree that Carnival's offer was at least in part a publicity stunt, by your own admission they were paid a pretty penny by the USG post Katrina. Are you suggesting that Celebrity wouldn't benefit from government largesse? It seems a better proposition than holding back ship for cruises that we all know are never going to materialize. 

14 hours ago, Fouremco said:

While I agree that Carnival's offer was at least in part a publicity stunt, by your own admission they were paid a pretty penny by the USG post Katrina. Are you suggesting that Celebrity wouldn't benefit from government largesse? It seems a better proposition than holding back ship for cruises that we all know are never going to materialize. 

Significantly more expensive and inconvenient than renting, or even buying, a hotel property near or in the center of need.  

14 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

Why would this be advisable?  There are empty hotels and motels which could easily be converted to housing all sorts of patients, not just COVOD-19 patients.  Easier to operate and maintain.  This was solely a publicity stunt by Arison CEO of Carnival since a Carnival ship was used to house people in New Orleans After Katrina while hotels were no available.  The USG pain a pretty penny for that, as well to include total refurbishment of the ship.  Hotels are standing empty and already have a well trained staff.

I guess some here would criticize Carnival if they did not offer their empty ships too.  Either way they get criticized.  I don't really think they need publicity stunts right now but I'm sure some will agree with you.  But I do agree with your point about empty hotels.  Hopefully it will not come to this.